• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Since FP2's contents were already decided on before it was revealed (in November 2019), are we sure that Ayumi would have been considered for the Pass?
While that's true, there's also the fact that as a in-house Nintendo game, we have no idea for how long they have been thinking or making the games, so while the remasters could be way too recent for Ayumi in Smash, it's also possible that Nintendo knew that the remasters would be out before the end of the pass and so decided to put Ayumi in Smash, especialy since Ayumi's games are old.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Since FP2's contents were already decided on before it was revealed (in November 2019), are we sure that Ayumi would have been considered for the Pass?
The idea is that Sakurai would be aware of the game being made back then or Nintendo suggesting her, the remakes were announced quite a while ago, though the worldwide release was only announced in February, Covid hit the game hard too as the game got delayed quite a bit, the remakes being announced in april last year could mean that Sakurai knew about it, but there's also a chance that they only entered development then too so maybe it'd be deemed too early for consideration

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I know the pattern could break but considering how this Pass is pretty much content that didn't make the cut in Base game and the fact Ayumi was considered for N64 and Melee, she's definitely someone worth watching out for.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I know the pattern could break but considering how this Pass is pretty much content that didn't make the cut in Base game and the fact Ayumi was considered for N64 and Melee, she's definitely someone worth watching out for.
Nintendo is choosing the characters, though. And I don't think they care too much about whether or not Sakurai considered a character twenty years ago - there isn't much to imply Ayumi made it any further than like, Balloon Fighter as simply one of many concepts that could have taken the role of Ice Climbers in Melee. But I don't believe there was ever any work done on her (unlike say, Dixie Kong or a Rhythm Heaven character) so she didn't make it very far. From what we've heard it sounds like Excitebiker was much closer to making the cut.

There are probably hundreds of characters who were under consideration that we don't even know about. Not to be too hard on Ayumi, I have nothing against her, but she isn't really special in this regard. If we somehow caught wind that she was considered for EVERY GAME or something this would hold more weight, but as far as we know it was just once and it was a long time ago.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
The online is really not of great quality on the Switch. That's probably why there are fewer players online than on Playstation or Xbox.
IfNintendodoesn'tevenletusseeping.jpg

I disagree with both this and @ahemtoday stated to be honest

Little Mac is a proper representation of Punch Out. You can still punish mistakes from the opponent with Mac, and it's actually more viable to do that then just Super Armor through everything. Most of Little Mac's Attacks are really unsafe on shield, and because he has very bad disadvantage, Little Mac needs to play really patient and wait for openings, just like in Punch out. You can Super Armor through things, but it requires timing, and if they catch you in the very startup of the Smashes, or it's baited, you can get easily bodied

He also doesn't just represent himself, but also the Boss elements of the game as well, with the Super armor, and just the high damage he can deal

With that being said, I do see Little Mac needing changes to be honest. You don't need to change the overall gimmick of Little Mac being a grounded fighter. He should keep that as it separates him from the cast and it's a very interesting take on the Fighter, it just need some changes to make him more viable, while still keeping fundamental moveset

-As Much as I Love it, and I just defended it in this post, I do think it might be in the best interest to Get rid of the Super Armor on the Smash attacks. This is the biggest reason Mac is so annoying to fight against and hard to challenge. While it can be baited and shielded and such, the fact that it's still high killing moves you can't Punish like most other attacks is very demoralizing for the opponent and a big reason Camping is encouraged against Mac

-Instead I would Put all the Super Armor in Straight Lunge (Neutral B). Buff it to have Infinite Armor and perhaps a Slightly Faster Charging time to make the move more deadly, along with Making it Jump Cancelable to help with Disadvantage. However compared to the Smash attacks, you can much more easily react to the activation of Straight lunge, and the actual Attack doesn't come out as Fast as the Smash attacks

-Mac's Aerials should be buffed in terms of Startup and Endlag, and perhaps make it so Every aerial launches towards the Ground, including Up aerial. This would better compliment his Ground game as catching air opponents with the Aerials would force them to a grounded position, where Mac wants to be, and they could be better used as Combo Extensions as well. However they still would be bad in terms of Damage, range, Knockback, so his Grounded game still is the focus

-Shave off endlag off of both Up tilt and Down tilt, so they can be better used as Combo tools, and also for more pressure.

-Bring back the Jab Combos he had in a previous patch. However I do think they should make the timing for Comboing strict, just to have that rhythm element. Perhaps make it close to Frame perfec

This would keep the Core Concept of Little Mac's Current moveset, But I think it better makes him more of a Complete character, as well as make him not such an annoying character.
We'll agree to disagree then, personally when playing as Little Mac in Smash I simply don't feel I'm playing as the same Little Mac in Punch-Out. Little Mac possessing the elements of a Punch-Out boss are at odds with his character, and they should have focused more on the idea that everyone in Smash is the boss rather than giving Mac elements of his opponents that make little to no sense on him.

With most characters in Smash I feel like Sakurai at least understands fundamentally who that character is and the philosophy behind their inception. Ganondorf wields the Triforce of Power - his moveset is not what it should be, but that raw unadulterated power is still on display. Sonic's moveset may be simple to a fault, but the Genesis titles (which Sakurai pulled most inspiration from) were specifically designed to be played with a D-Pad and a single button. These characters are, at their core, still founded in the same ideas that they were originally built upon. Lots of room for improvement with these characters, but I don't doubt that Sakurai at least knows what they're about.

I just don't feel like Sakurai understands Punch-Out in this same way. I do understand what you mean but for everything that is technically accurate (Mac has to play patient) there's a big asterisk that goes against it (this "patience" is usually just the opponent waiting for you to **** up / get too close to the edge / end up in the air rather than the pressure being on Mac to find that opening). Sure, Mac can punish, but Punch-Out inspired punishing should be rapid fire combo punches, perhaps some sort of stun punch... encouragement to keep your opponent close and rack up damage, not a single powerful punch to push your opponent away like Mac's punishes usually end up being.
Sakurai likely based Mac on his arcade self, given that the wire frame is the basis for two alternate costumes, KO Punch and so on.

Now I feel like I've said my piece on Mac as someone who leans hard towards "How does X work in the game?" (playstyle feels railroaded especially given the changes that Mac got with Ultimate, his weaknesses are way too exploitable once one starts getting up to and more so past the intermediate level etc.) But I can also add that not only does the moveset not feel like his NES / Wii counterparts... but it also find it kinda baffling that he doesn't have many (almost no) tools to solve platform camping. Up Smash and Up B... that's it. And even then they don't take care of Battlefield-esque highest platforms, where he has to commit a lot just to reach... and if he's knocked back well he has to get back up. Even Mac can camp himself out.

Now it's mostly a competitive issue for Mac (since platform camping happens most often there and money's often on the line so there's more of a reason to do so), but it can also be a casual issue if a casual player gets a lead and decides to troll the Mac player by boarding the platforms.

That's one thing I wanna point out in regards to 7NATOR's moveset here - if his aerials send opponents to the ground, would they not just punch people so they land on the platforms? That... doesn't solve the issue really, since while it would cause a tech chase Mac would have to expend double jump or Up B to get there. Of course, they could pull people through platforms - but I don't know a lot of attacks that do that honestly. And that would be possibly really janky in itself, so... yeah.

It's a reason I lean more towards reworking him in favor of NES / Wii instead. Star Punches could give him some much needed utility, and from there one can perhaps start reducing his raw power and take away the Super Armor, but give Up / Down Tilt back their confirm / combo potential, give aerials some more utility etc.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
How long has the remake been in development?
Not sure when it started development, but at the very least, it was first announced as far back as the last Nintendo Direct before the 2020 drought - Before we even knew about any DLC beyond the first pass, mind you. It also had some screenshots with the announcements, if this article is any indication, so I'd imagine it was far enough in development for Sakurai and Nintendo to take it into account.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think if we do get a bonus character if the Nintendo of Australia website is to be believed, it almost assuredly will be a 1st party character. No 3rd party character and especially not Sora would be relegated to mere bonus with no stage or music for that. It would either be for a character from a series already repped in Smash like Bandana Waddle Dee for example or a lesser IP like Famicom Detective Club. Whether Ayumi would require a stage and music is open to debate

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
especially not Sora would be relegated to mere bonus with no stage or music for that.
I could honestly see Sora being this way as a bonus character since every DLC he's been a part of has been a limited time only. If that's the only way Disney will allow him to be in Smash then I could see this outcome happening.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe the bonus could also be an echo/semi clone of an already repped third party series too? They only said no echoes in pass type models.

anyway if there is a bonus I’m nevertheless PRAYING that it’s Elma. Idc if she has no spirit board or even stage just GIMME DAT X MUSIC

Whether Ayumi would require a stage and music is open to debate
I am curious what they would even do for a stage. I'm going into the remake blind, but it's pretty grounded in real-life Japan, right? Would they make the stage a shrine or school building? Or would we get the classic street corner that every fighting game seems to have?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Maybe the bonus could also be an echo/semi clone of an already repped third party series too? They only said no echoes in pass type models.

anyway if there is a bonus I’m nevertheless PRAYING that it’s Elma. Idc if she has no spirit board or even stage just GIMME DAT X MUSIC
Don't forget, the possibility of 3 more DLC echoes as stand alones.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think if we do get a bonus character if the Nintendo of Australia website is to be believed, it almost assuredly will be a 1st party character. No 3rd party character and especially not Sora would be relegated to mere bonus with no stage or music for that. It would either be for a character from a series already repped in Smash like Bandana Waddle Dee for example or a lesser IP like Famicom Detective Club. Whether Ayumi would require a stage and music is open to debate
Given that every new series added to the roster has brought in a load of supplementary materials, I'm inclined to say that yes, Ayumi would need a stage and music. I think it's quite telling that the only new stages in the base game that aren't from the Switch's initial megatons BotW and Odyssey are for new series. If we get a bonus in the vein of Piranha Plant, 99% it's not a new series.
Don't forget, the possibility of 3 more DLC echoes as stand alones.
Haven't we established the empty slots are bunk? Because I'm pretty sure that's been established ever since this post:
Yo so no clue how much people are still paying attention to the supposed voice theory and/or placeholder slots, but they don't seem to mean much of anything. I started poking around in the WoL param files to see if it was possible to add fights for the DLC characters, and in the process, I've discovered a few things about placeholder data.
  • Voice Theory has absolutely no legs to stand on outside of a perfect square which is ultimately meaningless. The parameter file for the sound test (ui_voice_db.prc) has no placeholder entries in it. The entries for DLC characters are simply added to the end of the album list. The final two entries in the list are Sephiroth and Advent Cloud.

• Within the World of Light movement params (used for map movement), there exist 10 unoccupied entries. These entries start from dummy_07 and go to dummy_16. There are a few irregularities with the dummy slots. The first dummy string is dummy_02, and counting backwards from dummy_07 puts dummy_02 at Terry, leaving four slots (Plant, Joker, Hero, and Banjo) unaccounted for. The Cutting Room Floor has a bit more information that helps explain this discrepancy. I unfortunately only have the current patch to work from:

A whopping 30 placeholder character slots existed in the files of the character selection screen at launch before being removed in the v2.0.0 update. There are also a slightly smaller 16 placeholder character slots in the files for the World of Light and in the attack_log_parameter.prc file, Piranha Plant and Joker from Persona 5 replaced the two placeholder slots from the World of Light and the attack_log_parameter.prc file, the Hero from Dragon Quest XI and Banjo and Kazooie did not replace of any of the placeholder slots in the World of Light, two more placeholder slots were removed in v6.0.0, Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses did not take any of the placeholder slots in v7.0.0, and one slot was replaced by Min Min in v8.0.0 and Steve replaced another slot in v9.0.0, it is unknown if this applies to the rest of the DLC fighters or not.

The important bits here are Plant, Joker, Min Min, and Steve replaced slots, while Hero, Banjo, and Byleth did not. If this article is accurate, then there is one dummy string (dummy_01) unaccounted for, and slots can be arbitrarily removed or added at any time.

tl;dr version, any theory that involves unused entries in game data is faulty, especially if the data never existed in the first place (voice theory)

also real leak
tl;dr version, any theory that involves unused entries in game data is faulty, especially if the data never existed in the first place (voice theory)

Technomage

Smash Champion
Given that every new series added to the roster has brought in a load of supplementary materials, I'm inclined to say that yes, Ayumi would need a stage and music. I think it's quite telling that the only new stages in the base game that aren't from the Switch's initial megatons BotW and Odyssey are for new series. If we get a bonus in the vein of Piranha Plant, 99% it's not a new series.

Haven't we established the empty slots are bunk? Because I'm pretty sure that's been established ever since this post:
I was referring to the Character Select Screen Limit theory, dude.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Is Ryu not "deconfirmed"? It seemed pretty apparent, but some people are adamant that Yasuda wouldn't be "in the know".

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I was referring to the Character Select Screen Limit theory, dude.
Fun fact... CSS theory and placeholder theory... are the same. The number of placeholders in params at launch equals the amount of spaces subtracted from base roster to crash the game.

So... yeah. They are one in the same :p

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is Ryu not "deconfirmed"? It seemed pretty apparent, but some people are adamant that Yasuda wouldn't be "in the know".
After two interviews he cracked and said in the third one that KT straight up has no plans for crossover appearances so yeh he’s heckin dead

7NATOR

Smash Master
We'll agree to disagree then, personally when playing as Little Mac in Smash I simply don't feel I'm playing as the same Little Mac in Punch-Out. Little Mac possessing the elements of a Punch-Out boss are at odds with his character, and they should have focused more on the idea that everyone in Smash is the boss rather than giving Mac elements of his opponents that make little to no sense on him.

With most characters in Smash I feel like Sakurai at least understands fundamentally who that character is and the philosophy behind their inception. Ganondorf wields the Triforce of Power - his moveset is not what it should be, but that raw unadulterated power is still on display. Sonic's moveset may be simple to a fault, but the Genesis titles (which Sakurai pulled most inspiration from) were specifically designed to be played with a D-Pad and a single button. These characters are, at their core, still founded in the same ideas that they were originally built upon. Lots of room for improvement with these characters, but I don't doubt that Sakurai at least knows what they're about.

I just don't feel like Sakurai understands Punch-Out in this same way. I do understand what you mean but for everything that is technically accurate (Mac has to play patient) there's a big asterisk that goes against it (this "patience" is usually just the opponent waiting for you to **** up / get too close to the edge / end up in the air rather than the pressure being on Mac to find that opening). Sure, Mac can punish, but Punch-Out inspired punishing should be rapid fire combo punches, perhaps some sort of stun punch... encouragement to keep your opponent close and rack up damage, not a single powerful punch to push your opponent away like Mac's punishes usually end up being.
I'll Agree and Diagree at the same time

I do agree that Mac should have more comboing ability when it comes to his Actual punishes, as not only would it be more viable and fun to have, it does feel more like Punch out with the Rapid punches and hits. Right now Mac only has like 2-3 hit combos. Of course there are strings and mixups you can do though

If Mac had the ability to use his Weak Aerials to keep the opponents closer when he gets the hit with any of his Combo tools, I think it would add that dimension I think you are talking about. You would be able to Choose whether you want to keep the opponent close for more pressure, or you can go for the powerful, more damaging Punishes that require you to get to your Opponent

I Disagree with the notion that Sakurai doesn't understand the philosophy of Little Mac and Punch out. I do think there could be changes to how it's represented (Like maybe more music tracks for instance), and Elements of Mac's Moveset probably do need changing, but I don't think Sakurai went into with less understanding of Punch out then usual.

Mac still has the movement to threaten Opponents and weave in and out, which is the main thing you do in Punch out to find openings, so you can punish. Mac has fast frame data, which goes along with him using his Quick speed in his punches to Overwhelm the opponent when they do mess up. Mac is still at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the Cast because his Aerial game is much more lackluster than usual.

I think the things like the Super Armor and High power that Mac usually doesn't have (which is more of the boss elements of Punch out) were also things added to make Mac more Balanced, and perhaps more fun, since if he's gonna have the atrocious Air game he has, He's gonna need strength on the ground to balance that.

But yeah, I do think they should be changes to Mac's Moveset to better suit him from viable standpoint, Fun standpoint, and character standpoint. my whole deal is I don't think Mac's moveset needs to be completely overhauled or anything

IfNintendodoesn'tevenletusseeping.jpg

Sakurai likely based Mac on his arcade self, given that the wire frame is the basis for two alternate costumes, KO Punch and so on.

Now I feel like I've said my piece on Mac as someone who leans hard towards "How does X work in the game?" (playstyle feels railroaded especially given the changes that Mac got with Ultimate, his weaknesses are way too exploitable once one starts getting up to and more so past the intermediate level etc.) But I can also add that not only does the moveset not feel like his NES / Wii counterparts... but it also find it kinda baffling that he doesn't have many (almost no) tools to solve platform camping. Up Smash and Up B... that's it. And even then they don't take care of Battlefield-esque highest platforms, where he has to commit a lot just to reach... and if he's knocked back well he has to get back up. Even Mac can camp himself out.

Now it's mostly a competitive issue for Mac (since platform camping happens most often there and money's often on the line so there's more of a reason to do so), but it can also be a casual issue if a casual player gets a lead and decides to troll the Mac player by boarding the platforms.

That's one thing I wanna point out in regards to 7NATOR's moveset here - if his aerials send opponents to the ground, would they not just punch people so they land on the platforms? That... doesn't solve the issue really, since while it would cause a tech chase Mac would have to expend double jump or Up B to get there. Of course, they could pull people through platforms - but I don't know a lot of attacks that do that honestly. And that would be possibly really janky in itself, so... yeah.

It's a reason I lean more towards reworking him in favor of NES / Wii instead. Star Punches could give him some much needed utility, and from there one can perhaps start reducing his raw power and take away the Super Armor, but give Up / Down Tilt back their confirm / combo potential, give aerials some more utility etc.
I forgot about how the Aerials would work against platforms surprisingly.

Though I guess it's also why I said to shave off the Startup and and especially Endlag of his Aerials. If you hit someone below or on the Platform, you would be able to quickly Punish them with Up B or Side B for damage, or you could quickly Double Jump and such. even if you can't get them to the Ground, you can still punish them for trying to Jump

The Aerials themselves would still be very weak and lack range. I might even actually nerf the aerials to they have the Least amount of priority in the game (If they don't already do), so their quick speed can't just always get Mac out of tough situations.

I still think that Mac should be at a disadvantage in the air. It's why In my moveset I didn't allow him to re-use Side B after getting hit. I do agree that his Aerials do need more Utility and to better compliment his ground game

I don't think the Power of Mac's moveset would need to be reduced. the Super Armor yes. Star Punches would be interesting, though I wonder how the actual Star punch would be activated?

While that's true, there's also the fact that as a in-house Nintendo game, we have no idea for how long they have been thinking or making the games, so while the remasters could be way too recent for Ayumi in Smash, it's also possible that Nintendo knew that the remasters would be out before the end of the pass and so decided to put Ayumi in Smash, especialy since Ayumi's games are old.
Even then, I still doubt they give Ayumi the time of day as a DLC Character, for the following reasons

-The Franchise has been dormat for years and years. All the 1st party DLC already had success before they got in (Fire Emblem, ARMS, Xenoblade Chronicles 2).
-Visual Novels are kind of a niche genre, Not to mean they can't have their content in Smash, just that there's more to think about in terms of the audience Smash appealing to on a Casual level and such
-She hasn't shown to have much Demand in terms of inclusion. It's there a little bit, but it isn't something I think is the most noticeable

It's just a little hard to see Nintendo try to use the Falcom Remakes as the Promo character and such. Nintendo likes to have a little reassurance in terms of actual data when it comes to what characters they pick as DLC, especially for a Promo character, and it's unknown how good the Falcom remakes will do

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I am curious what they would even do for a stage. I'm going into the remake blind, but it's pretty grounded in real-life Japan, right? Would they make the stage a shrine or school building? Or would we get the classic street corner that every fighting game seems to have?
From a quick check of the eShop page, the first game is in the countryside and the second revolves around a high school. Seeing as Ayumi's high school design was used for the Melee trophy, the Ultimate Spirit, and the Mario Maker costume, I'd imagine she'd come with a high school stage to go with the high school design.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not to feel like a person sticking out, but what is the series that the character Ayumi comes from?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ryu: Ya da dada da. It is GOOD DAY to be not dead.

Yasuda shoots Ryu in the head

Yasuda: BAM! You are dead.

Ryu: I AM DEAD!
Sakurai: Hayabusa. Hayabusaaaa? Hayabusa! ...oh my ****ing God he ****ing dead
I'll Agree and Diagree at the same time

I do agree that Mac should have more comboing ability when it comes to his Actual punishes, as not only would it be more viable and fun to have, it does feel more like Punch out with the Rapid punches and hits. Right now Mac only has like 2-3 hit combos. Of course there are strings and mixups you can do though

If Mac had the ability to use his Weak Aerials to keep the opponents closer when he gets the hit with any of his Combo tools, I think it would add that dimension I think you are talking about. You would be able to Choose whether you want to keep the opponent close for more pressure, or you can go for the powerful, more damaging Punishes that require you to get to your Opponent

I Disagree with the notion that Sakurai doesn't understand the philosophy of Little Mac and Punch out. I do think there could be changes to how it's represented (Like maybe more music tracks for instance), and Elements of Mac's Moveset probably do need changing, but I don't think Sakurai went into with less understanding of Punch out then usual.

Mac still has the movement to threaten Opponents and weave in and out, which is the main thing you do in Punch out to find openings, so you can punish. Mac has fast frame data, which goes along with him using his Quick speed in his punches to Overwhelm the opponent when they do mess up. Mac is still at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the Cast because his Aerial game is much more lackluster than usual.

I think the things like the Super Armor and High power that Mac usually doesn't have (which is more of the boss elements of Punch out) were also things added to make Mac more Balanced, and perhaps more fun, since if he's gonna have the atrocious Air game he has, He's gonna need strength on the ground to balance that.

But yeah, I do think they should be changes to Mac's Moveset to better suit him from viable standpoint, Fun standpoint, and character standpoint. my whole deal is I don't think Mac's moveset needs to be completely overhauled or anything

I forgot about how the Aerials would work against platforms surprisingly.

Though I guess it's also why I said to shave off the Startup and and especially Endlag of his Aerials. If you hit someone below or on the Platform, you would be able to quickly Punish them with Up B or Side B for damage, or you could quickly Double Jump and such. even if you can't get them to the Ground, you can still punish them for trying to Jump

The Aerials themselves would still be very weak and lack range. I might even actually nerf the aerials to they have the Least amount of priority in the game (If they don't already do), so their quick speed can't just always get Mac out of tough situations.

I still think that Mac should be at a disadvantage in the air. It's why In my moveset I didn't allow him to re-use Side B after getting hit. I do agree that his Aerials do need more Utility and to better compliment his ground game

I don't think the Power of Mac's moveset would need to be reduced. the Super Armor yes. Star Punches would be interesting, though I wonder how the actual Star punch would be activated?

Even then, I still doubt they give Ayumi the time of day as a DLC Character, for the following reasons

-The Franchise has been dormat for years and years. All the 1st party DLC already had success before they got in (Fire Emblem, ARMS, Xenoblade Chronicles 2).
-Visual Novels are kind of a niche genre, Not to mean they can't have their content in Smash, just that there's more to think about in terms of the audience Smash appealing to on a Casual level and such
-She hasn't shown to have much Demand in terms of inclusion. It's there a little bit, but it isn't something I think is the most noticeable

It's just a little hard to see Nintendo try to use the Falcom Remakes as the Promo character and such. Nintendo likes to have a little reassurance in terms of actual data when it comes to what characters they pick as DLC, especially for a Promo character, and it's unknown how good the Falcom remakes will do
I think you meant Famicom there buddy

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
As far as Japanese third parties go, there are only 2 major ones with noteworthy Nintendo ties that don't have a character of theirs playable in Smash: Koei Tecmo and Level 5. Ryu's all but officially dead unless if Yasuda lied. However, my current attention towards Japanese third parties is largely at Bandai Namco given the Lloyd Mii Costume still being absent on top of the fact that Tales is the only franchise/series from Smash 4 that didn't get any content whatsoever in the base game or DLC as of FP9. My personal guess is that with the bonus fighter, the last two fighters of the pass are going to be a Japanese third party pick and a Western 3rd party pick plus the 1st party bonus whether it's a character or stage(s).

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
As far as Japanese third parties go, there are only 2 major ones with noteworthy Nintendo ties that don't have a character of theirs playable in Smash: Koei Tecmo and Level 5. Ryu's all but officially dead unless if Yasuda lied. However, my current attention towards Japanese third parties is largely at Bandai Namco given the Lloyd Mii Costume still being absent on top of the fact that Tales is the only franchise/series from Smash 4 that didn't get any content whatsoever in the base game or DLC as of FP9. My personal guess is that with the bonus fighter, the last two fighters of the pass are going to be a Japanese third party pick and a Western 3rd party pick plus the 1st party bonus whether it's a character or stage(s).
I'd say Spike Chunsoft is also worth mentioning. They do Mystery Dungeon and Danganronpa, neither of which are particularly likely but still relevant.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Are we even sure there’s a bonus fighter? That keeps getting tossed around but as far as I’m aware that specific inconsistency is only present on the North American website and not present in the PAL nor the Japanese websites.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm not exactly confident in the idea of a bonus fighter.

if we are to get one though, hopefully it's a character that isn't in dire need of non-playable content, like Waluigi, or a Zelda character (Zelda's fine on non-playable content, it's the playable-side of things that could be better.)

Like, I'd still be pretty damn happy with Isaac being a bonus fighter, or Bandana Waddle Dee being one would be fine and dandy, but Isaac not getting a Golden Sun stage and more GS music, or BWD not bringing any modern Kirby content would be disappointing.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Are we even sure there’s a bonus fighter? That keeps getting tossed around but as far as I’m aware that specific inconsistency is only present on the North American website and not present in the PAL nor the Japanese websites.
Correction: It was on the Australian site, not the American one. I still see your point, though.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Australian/New Zealand websites, not the NA one. And yeah, I highly doubt the bonus when it's A: Only on one site, and B: Sakurai has stated quite clearly that we're not getting any more fighters past FP2.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just a quick thing.

From Smash 4's lifespan till the end.
2013: E3 reveal (Villager from Animal Crossing and the meme)
2014: game release (3DS and Wii U) along with Base Character Trailers (Mii fighters, Palutena and Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Lucina and Robin, Sonic's return, Pac-Man, MegaMan, Wii Fit Trainer, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, Bowser Jr. with the Koopalings, Little Mac, Rosalina and Luma, and Shulk) and teasing DLC phase starting with Mewtwo.
2015: DLC began (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and Cloud) with the Final Smash 4 presentation
2016: Corrin and Bayonetta arrives. Patches eventually ended.
It lasted for 2 years before patches ended. Ultimate appeared 2 years later at E3 2018.

The way I see Ultimate's development lifespan
2018- 2021?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I will wait and see what happens before assuming there are going to be Bonus fighters or content. As well as be bored out of my mind waiting for the next Fighter to be revealed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm sure Nintendo isn't going to let go one of their biggest series creating the profit. Though how is up to Sakurai and his team.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's on the Nintendo of Australia website, not America. We got the SNK leak through a PAL website before, so it's not a good idea to overlook it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It would be a pity if all potential content stopped after the second pass. Even if there was just another year of occasional new Mii costumes or old stages returning, and nothing more, it'd be something.
At least let us see more Spirit Events. I WILL NOT REST UNTIL I SEE AN UNDERTALE SPIRIT EVENT AND/OR TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS ENCORE SPIRIT EVENT SO THAT TSUBASA’S NOT THE LONE SPIRIT FROM THAT GAME ANYMORE DO YOU HEAR ME.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's on the Nintendo of Australia website, not America. We got the SNK leak through a PAL website before, so it's not a good idea to overlook it.
The difference is that the SNK leak was a lot more direct and conclusive. This is looking at website urls, of all things, and we have no real indication of what it is. It's not like it's a distinct page or has a unique "This page does not exist" response. Furthermore, Sakurai has clearly and explicitly stated that FP2 will be the end, which makes it extremely doubtful that we'll be getting any bonuses.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see in a month time (April is almost over). I just wonder what Nintendo and other comapnies has to offer while stalling until June.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The difference is that the SNK leak was a lot more direct and conclusive. This is looking at website urls, of all things, and we have no real indication of what it is. It's not like it's a distinct page or has a unique "This page does not exist" response. Furthermore, Sakurai has clearly and explicitly stated that FP2 will be the end, which makes it extremely doubtful that we'll be getting any bonuses.
Hence why it's also possible that it could be something like a stage pack if not a character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't expect any more Western third parties at all because of issues including language barriers and this pass being primarily focused on adding new representation to series already in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom