• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’m subscribing to the theory that the Mario Party update is a test for whatever Nintendo’s new online infrastructure is. Remember those articles from a few months back about Nintendo replacing its 20 year old server system? Unless Nintendo just randomly decided to update this dead game, it’s probably a secret tech demo.
I have a feeling it's both tbh, I think they patched it in to also test it for the next installment of the series, whenever that comes.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I want to see a LoL Guessing Game so badly! Why? In order to see the Smash Community get destroyed from the inside and out.
I’ve never played LoL but I’d be happy with several characters. That game reminds me a lot of Blizzard’s character design which is really cool. I would love to see either Kha’Zix or Nocturne just based on design alone but I never hear either discussed so I assume they aren’t very popular characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I want to see a LoL Guessing Game so badly! Why? In order to see the Smash Community get destroyed from the inside and out.
Since Wild Rift is most likely coming to consoles (Switch included) they’ll probably only include champions that are currently in WR in the guessing game

which is uhhhh

Ahri, Akali, Alistar, Amumu, Annie, Ashe, Aurelion Sol, Blitzcrank, Braum, Camille, Darius, Diana, Draven, Dr. Mundo, Evelynn, Ezreal, Fiora, Fizz, Garen, Gragas, Graves, Janna, Jarvan IV, Jax, Jhin, Jinx, Kai’Sa, Katarina, Kennen, Leona, Lee Sin, Lulu, Lux, Malphite, Master Yi, Miss Fortune, Nami, Nasus, Olaf, Orianna, Pantheon, Rakan, Seraphine, Shyvana, Singed, Sona, Soraka, Teemo, Tristana, Tryndamere, Twisted Fate, Varus, Vayne, Vi, Xayah, Xin Zhao, Yasuo, Wukong, Zed and Ziggs

only 49 peeps. No pressure! 🙃

I actually dreamt we got Kai’Sa in Smash once... I woulda been fine with that

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Ahri is the current front runner in terms of popularity from what I’ve seen so I’d go with her if I had to guess. I like Ahri but she’s not one of my top favorites. If we get a League character or a Blizzard character I’m really hoping we get someone other than a normal human. Smash could really use some more nonhuman characters other than Pokémon and a few others.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Since Wild Rift is most likely coming to consoles (Switch included) they’ll probably only include champions that are currently in WR in the guessing game

which is uhhhh

Ahri, Akali, Alistar, Amumu, Annie, Ashe, Aurelion Sol, Blitzcrank, Braum, Camille, Darius, Diana, Draven, Dr. Mundo, Evelynn, Ezreal, Fiora, Fizz, Garen, Gragas, Graves, Janna, Jarvan IV, Jax, Jhin, Jinx, Kai’Sa, Katarina, Kennen, Leona, Lee Sin, Lulu, Lux, Malphite, Master Yi, Miss Fortune, Nami, Nasus, Olaf, Orianna, Pantheon, Rakan, Seraphine, Shyvana, Singed, Sona, Soraka, Teemo, Tristana, Tryndamere, Twisted Fate, Varus, Vayne, Vi, Xin Zhao, Yasuo, Wukong, Zed and Ziggs

only 49 peeps. No pressure! 🙃

I actually dreamt we got Kai’Sa in Smash once... I woulda been fine with that
Huh, no Ryze. Seemed like he was basically the closest they had to a mascot, so I was kinda expecting him to pop up there.

Anyways, if we're going with Wild Rift specifically, the ads I keep getting seem to push Jinx the most, with her even going on to be the app icon. Dunno if it was always like this or if it's just Jinx's turn at the moment.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Realistically, until we start hearing about E3 rumors or alleged leaks, a lot speculation will be going over old ground or debating hypotheticals.
Which is one reason why I brought up comeback mechanics (in a pretty awkward manner, granted, but still). That's ground I've seen rarely discussed - of course, it's because most here aren't that interested in delving deep - but I'd honestly like to hear this thread's thoughts regarding which aspects of the core fighting works particularily well and what could be improved upon. Because that could feed into discussions regarding potential newcomers as well.

I’ve never played LoL but I’d be happy with several characters. That game reminds me a lot of Blizzard’s character design which is really cool. I would love to see either Kha’Zix or Nocturne just based on design alone but I never hear either discussed so I assume they aren’t very popular characters.
From what I've seen, not within the casual fanbase (although they're decently common picks currently, see here), but they're both somewhat mainstays within competitive LoL (not that most casual LoL players care all that much about that, but it nevertheless affects League as a whole). IIRC they haven't been bandwagon* picks often, but still been very much present.

*(Smash and other games experience a similar effect where some people will try to bandwagon what's considered strong. I wouldn't be surprised if some here have a friend / acquiantance who picks say Joker because they saw a couple highlight vids on YouTube. Not meaning to say that the bandwagon effect is purely negative, but there are cases where it's particularily noticeable.)

Huh, no Ryze. Seemed like he was basically the closest they had to a mascot, so I was kinda expecting him to pop up there.

Anyways, if we're going with Wild Rift specifically, the ads I keep getting seem to push Jinx the most, with here even going on to be the app icon. Dunno if it was always like this or if it's just Jinx's turn at the moment.
IIRC Jinx's been extremely popular and one of LoL's marketing centerpieces ever since she released. Part of it is that she's a naturally explosive character who scales well with items / damage. Second most popular pick currently (see above link) and she's talked about a lot.

It reminds me of the Netolabo poll: I'll reiterate that I don't think that it was purely a poll over how characters were liked on character basis (although that was a primary factor) since naturally explosive characters like :ultganondorf: and :ultness: were very popular: they're both naturally explosive and very easy to pick up (with the only complicated factor being Ness' recovery).

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I hope Miitopia Switch succeeds so we can see more 3DS to Switch ports

maybe even port Project X Zone 1 & 2, and if they sell well it’s Project X Zone 3 time baby

Ivander

Smash Legend
Hmm...remember when we were talking about the Fate series and I mentioned wanting a Fate fighting game...

Yep, that Yoshinori Ono is now the president and COO of Delight Works, the ones who do Fate Grand Order. And by what I've been hearing, Fate Fighting game has already been trending on Japan twitter because of this.

What this means for Grand Order and Fate, I don't know. Like we know that he did really good at the beginning with Street Fighter 4 and brought attention to fighting games back, but we also know that he was responsible for Street Fighter X Tekken and early Street Fighter 5. I guess things can go either way. Here's hoping Ono goes the good way.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
IIRC Jinx's been extremely popular and one of LoL's marketing centerpieces ever since she released. Part of it is that she's a naturally explosive character who scales well with items / damage. Second most popular pick currently (see above link) and she's talked about a lot.

It reminds me of the Netolabo poll: I'll reiterate that I don't think that it was purely a poll over how characters were liked on character basis (although that was a primary factor) since naturally explosive characters like :ultganondorf: and :ultness: were very popular: they're both naturally explosive and very easy to pick up (with the only complicated factor being Ness' recovery).
Yeah, I remember hearing Jinx has been pushed up quite a bit. Think she's even getting her own show. In the scenario of an LoL fighter, I think we might want to be keeping an eye on her.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I hope Miitopia Switch succeeds so we can see more 3DS to Switch ports

maybe even port Project X Zone 1 & 2, and if they sell well it’s Project X Zone 3 time baby
Project X Zone 2 could happen due to Nintendo owning the publishing rights on that one. Might have to pull a little magic for the first one, though.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Now if only Sakurai had given Young Link his Majora's Mask design instead of the Ocarina of Time one..
Aren't they the same in appearance? Though I will admit those two incarnations could easily have different abilities from each other (even if they don't give YL his mask transformations; on the other hand, maybe he could have still incorporated a Mask mechanic similar to Shulk's Monado Arts (for example, YL could equip a Bomb Mask that causes an explosion around him whenever he's attacked, or a Stone Mask that makes him invisible even to homing projectiles like Samus's missiles)?).

I feel like Sakurai is afraid to do anything drastic to existing characters just because it might upset fans.

Sometimes it works out well. Other times... Well, other times we're left with three Links who fight very similarly to each other despite all three being from three different decades. There's a treasure trove of moveset potential, but unfortunately Link #2 and Link #3 exist because they were easy clones.
IKR? They could at least be more understanding and accepting for a few extra changes. >_<

Man, Smashboards is moving a lot slower as of late. I feel like all 'games' have been played (which generally just involves writing your wishlist using different wording each time), all speculation has been run into the ground, and no leaks to really keep us here.
Yeah, Nintendo should have at least gave Smash development a bit more funding to hire more staff and get all that content sooner.

It also has a playable Goomba which is my most wanted Mario character. I’ve always loved those little guys.
Yeah, as much as Piranha Plant had made me laugh, I feel like a Goomba would have been even funnier. XD

I think Ahri is the current front runner in terms of popularity from what I’ve seen so I’d go with her if I had to guess. I like Ahri but she’s not one of my top favorites. If we get a League character or a Blizzard character I’m really hoping we get someone other than a normal human. Smash could really use some more nonhuman characters other than Pokémon and a few others.
And even then, most of the characters in the roster are humanoid in body structure (from Fox to R.O.B.).

Project X Zone 2 could happen due to Nintendo owning the publishing rights on that one. Might have to pull a little magic for the first one, though.
That reminds me of a suggestion I made of Reiji Arisu (the main character of the Project X Zone series) as a playable character in Smash, since he would simultaneously rep SEGA, Namco, and Capcom.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, I remember hearing Jinx has been pushed up quite a bit. Think she's even getting her own show. In the scenario of an LoL fighter, I think we might want to be keeping an eye on her.
Hol up

source on the show?
Hoping if 3 happens, Nintendo’s the publisher there too so we can see more Nintendo characters

Let my Pearl & Marina duo with a Hyperbombs + Princess Cannon EX Move dream happen dammit

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Anyway, conspiracy time!

We just got a BUNCH of stuff today, and somebody who replied to this mentioned that this might be leading up to something ("there are no coincidences in business", or something like that). Could there possibly be something, or is it just one of THOSE days?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So previews of Famicom Detective Club are up and it just hit me. What if the bonus fighter in question is Ayumi? She was considered in Melee but because the game was only available in Japan at the time, she was scrapped.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So previews of Famicom Detective Club are up and it just hit me. What if the bonus fighter in question is Ayumi? She was considered in Melee but because the game was only available in Japan at the time, she was scrapped.
Wasn’t she considered for the very first Smash too?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Anyway, conspiracy time!

We just got a BUNCH of stuff today, and somebody who replied to this mentioned that this might be leading up to something ("there are no coincidences in business", or something like that). Could there possibly be something, or is it just one of THOSE days?
Golden Week starts on Thursday and ends next Wednesday

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, this was the last thing I expected.
Super Mario Party rose from the grave and online support was added for some more minigames.

EDIT: Apparently, the entire game is online now. Neat.
MUST..... CRUSH..... SMASH BROS!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
He's probably talking about Arcane, which also stars Vi. it will likely reveal some of the past between the two.
Yeah, I heard that tossed around when Jinx was brought up, just as "the Jinx show." From what I've read, it's heavily implied to explain what made her so crazy, so it's something one could use as an example of Jinx being heavily promoted in the series.

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, this was the last thing I expected.

Super Mario Party rose from the grave and online support was added for some more minigames.

EDIT: Apparently, the entire game is online now. Neat.
MUST..... CRUSH..... SMASH BROS!
Incidentally, that further fuels my pet hypothesis that a lot of Nintendo online games don't have as big online playerbases as Nintendo want. Especially if such a big overhaul effectively comes as a free update.

Now that's not to say that games like ARMS don't have online playerbases (they do), but I get the impression that Smash and Splatoon are the only ones to have "big enough" playerbases from Nintendo's perspective (and even then Smash is a little undercut by stuff like Yuzu). Now we don't know Nintendo's internal expectations, but I'm taking a gander and saying that the expectations were bigger than reality.

That feels a bit uncomfortable due to possible implications, but worth noting regardless.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Incidentally, that further fuels my pet hypothesis that a lot of Nintendo online games don't have as big online playerbases as Nintendo want. Especially if such a big overhaul effectively comes as a free update.

Now that's not to say that games like ARMS don't have online playerbases (they do), but I get the impression that Smash and Splatoon are the only ones to have "big enough" playerbases from Nintendo's perspective (and even then Smash is a little undercut by stuff like Yuzu). Now we don't know Nintendo's internal expectations, but I'm taking a gander and saying that the expectations were bigger than reality.

That feels a bit uncomfortable due to possible implications, but worth noting regardless.
The online is really not of great quality on the Switch. That's probably why there are fewer players online than on Playstation or Xbox.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we're getting more Mario Party soon, either a sequel or DLC. Why else would they bring it online?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway, conspiracy time!

... about that...

yeah I uh

I think something’s happening alright

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we're getting more Mario Party soon, either a sequel or DLC. Why else would they bring it online?
Wouldn't the fact that they added online play to Super Mario Party mean they don't have another Mario party in the works? Like why bother adding online if that's the case?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wouldn't the fact that they added online play to Super Mario Party mean they don't have another Mario party in the works? Like why bother adding online if that's the case?
Yeah it could be DLC or even free content updates

...or, they did it cuz there’s a global pandemic going on and having meet ups would be risky unless all in person parties involved are 100% vaccinated

and even then only in home gatherings would be safe if all are fully vaccinated

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Little Mac is a proper representation of Punch Out. You can still punish mistakes from the opponent with Mac, and it's actually more viable to do that then just Super Armor through everything. Most of Little Mac's Attacks are really unsafe on shield, and because he has very bad disadvantage, Little Mac needs to play really patient and wait for openings, just like in Punch out. You can Super Armor through things, but it requires timing, and if they catch you in the very startup of the Smashes, or it's baited, you can get easily bodied

He also doesn't just represent himself, but also the Boss elements of the game as well, with the Super armor, and just the high damage he can deal
We'll agree to disagree then, personally when playing as Little Mac in Smash I simply don't feel I'm playing as the same Little Mac in Punch-Out. Little Mac possessing the elements of a Punch-Out boss are at odds with his character, and they should have focused more on the idea that everyone in Smash is the boss rather than giving Mac elements of his opponents that make little to no sense on him.

With most characters in Smash I feel like Sakurai at least understands fundamentally who that character is and the philosophy behind their inception. Ganondorf wields the Triforce of Power - his moveset is not what it should be, but that raw unadulterated power is still on display. Sonic's moveset may be simple to a fault, but the Genesis titles (which Sakurai pulled most inspiration from) were specifically designed to be played with a D-Pad and a single button. These characters are, at their core, still founded in the same ideas that they were originally built upon. Lots of room for improvement with these characters, but I don't doubt that Sakurai at least knows what they're about.

I just don't feel like Sakurai understands Punch-Out in this same way. I do understand what you mean but for everything that is technically accurate (Mac has to play patient) there's a big asterisk that goes against it (this "patience" is usually just the opponent waiting for you to **** up / get too close to the edge / end up in the air rather than the pressure being on Mac to find that opening). Sure, Mac can punish, but Punch-Out inspired punishing should be rapid fire combo punches, perhaps some sort of stun punch... encouragement to keep your opponent close and rack up damage, not a single powerful punch to push your opponent away like Mac's punishes usually end up being.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing I would like for Little Mac is a rework of Slip Counter. When you press Down-B, the dodging part of the move should activate immediately, and then you must press A or B to perform another attack, or else you...just dodge. Think a light version of Slayer's Dandy Step in Guilty Gear.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't help but feel the enthusiasm for Ayumi to feel ironic, for lack of a better word. People tend to get super cynical about characters who've gotten something recent and Literal Who™ yet for a character who'd be promoting the first release outside Japan, the remakes being fairly low budget games too for the matter and how I think like 3 people here would know Ayumi had we not known she was considered in the past. Obviously this will change once her remakes come out and people can actually judge the character and gane beyond "Oh, well Sakurai likes her!" but still lmao

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yeah it could be DLC or even free content updates

...or, they did it cuz there’s a global pandemic going on and having meet ups would be risky unless all in person parties involved are 100% vaccinated

and even then only in home gatherings would be safe if all are fully vaccinated
I think the pandemic is a part of it, but not the only reason. If it was only because of the pandemic, why do it now, and not when it was at it's worst last year? I think they're doing something with the series, and decided to patch the new online into the original because of Covid.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can't help but feel the enthusiasm for Ayumi to feel ironic, for lack of a better word. People tend to get super cynical about characters who've gotten something recent and Literal Who™ yet for a character who'd be promoting the first release outside Japan, the remakes being fairly low budget games too for the matter and how I think like 3 people here would know Ayumi had we not known she was considered in the past. Obviously this will change once her remakes come out and people can actually judge the character and gane beyond "Oh, well Sakurai likes her!" but still lmao
I think this is one of those instances where the people pushing for Ayumi right now are probably not the same people who would be so critical of a character breaking out of Japan in the first place. And as far as the idea of Ayumi promoting a recent release goes, I imagine a lot of people are just anticipating some degree of "promo" character as one of the final two similarly to Corrin or Byleth (I personally am not, though).

My feelings toward Ayumi are that if Sakurai felt Takamaru wasn't suitable for Smash 4's base roster because of relative obscurity and inaccessibility in the west, it seems unlikely that the narrative would suddenly switch toward Ayumi who would not only be paid DLC but yeah, is from a relatively low budget game that Nintendo doesn't seem to have all that much interest promoting in the west at the moment anyway (aren't we not even getting a physical release?). Granted I wouldn't be upset over her inclusion - I miss our "retro" characters - it just seems like a big stretch right now.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be fair, FDC also has the right timeframe for a promotional pick. All the other characters that receive mass cynicism tend to be third-parties who's recent release doesn't get pushed by Nintendo that much, if at all. Monster Hunter got a lot of attention for Rise until that fell through, and I'd imagine any other games pushed or owned by Nintendo releasing around now would get fair bit of attention. Well, they would, if there were any other games actually releasing around now.
I think this is one of those instances where the people pushing for Ayumi right now are probably not the same people who would be so critical of a character breaking out of Japan in the first place. And as far as the idea of Ayumi promoting a recent release goes, I imagine a lot of people are just anticipating some degree of "promo" character as one of the final two similarly to Corrin or Byleth (I personally am not, though).
Yeah, I think that's the major push Ayumi's support has. Most people look towards recent Nintendo games for a potential promo pick, and FDC is the only one that's really available. Well, there's also the new Pokemon games, but those might end up releasing after FP2, and we haven't truly gotten a promo like that since Roy. From my position, Ayumi got where she is because there just isn't much competition left.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

My feelings toward Ayumi are that if Sakurai felt Takamaru wasn't suitable for Smash 4's base roster because of relative obscurity and inaccessibility in the west, it seems unlikely that the narrative would suddenly switch toward Ayumi who would not only be paid DLC but yeah, is from a relatively low budget game that Nintendo doesn't seem to have all that much interest promoting in the west at the moment anyway (aren't we not even getting a physical release?). Granted I wouldn't be upset over her inclusion, it just seems like a big stretch right now.
That's fair enough but Ayumi never seems to get this criticism which is oh so common which I just find interesting, Sakurai's considerations really do have influence on a character's reception when it comes to speculation. Like, imagine if Sakurai said Reimu was considered for Brawl, I'd imagine that 95% of the criticisms she gets these days wouldn't exist because "Well Sakurai wanted her!"

Technomage

Smash Champion
Since FP2's contents were already decided on before it was revealed (in November 2019), are we sure that Ayumi would have been considered for the Pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom