• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Because their status as an AT in the same game would mean nothing, and precious dev time would be wasted on a character that was programmed and animated for something else on the stage.
I’m pretty sure if Sakurai was that offended by the suggestion he could shut it down immediately. If it turns out he’s not, you really shouldn’t be either.

Assuming you would be offended on behalf of the game’s developers, which is the only context where this makes any real sense.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
IT'S A MII COSTUME.

No joke, I'm gonna legit cry with rage inside me if an AT ever got promoted as DLC.
The Logic is still the same whether it be Mii Costume or Playable

The post is talking about how an Assist Promotion would make it confusing when the Assist character and actual Assist Trophy is on the same screen

But the Bomberman costume looks very Close to the Bomberman Assist Trophy, almost identical, and in a hectic free for all match, people are not really gonna tell the difference

Because their status as an AT in the same game would mean nothing, and precious dev time would be wasted on a character that was programmed and animated for something else on the stage.
It seems you're getting mad for the sake of the developers, when I'm not even sure they would be mad if they decided to promote an Assist Trophy

they might actually find it easier to do so, since they already have a model in the game already to Re-use. Look at Chrom who is in Robin's Final Smash, they probably re-used that model for his Playable character model. I'm not too sure they were that mad to Program him as a playable character, and even if they were mad that their time was wasted, they still did it anyway. at the end of the day, as long as they are getting paid, it should be fine

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Logic is still the same whether it be Mii Costume or Playable

The post is talking about how an Assist Promotion would make it confusing when the Assist character and actual Assist Trophy is on the same screen

But the Bomberman costume looks very Close to the Bomberman Assist Trophy, almost identical, and in a hectic free for all match, people are not really gonna tell the difference

It seems you're getting mad for the sake of the developers, when I'm not even sure they would be mad if they decided to promote an Assist Trophy

they might actually find it easier to do so, since they already have a model in the game already to Re-use. Look at Chrom who is in Robin's Final Smash, they probably re-used that model for his Playable character model. I'm not too sure they were that mad to Program him as a playable character, and even if they were mad that their time was wasted, they still did it anyway. at the end of the day, as long as they are getting paid, it should be fine
Now I wish Fiora got that same star treatment, as she was one of my ballot picks...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
...Not really? It's just more content. If a fighter gets promoted from an AT, the trophy's still there. Sure, it might be disabled if you choose them as a fighter, but in that scenario just don't select them as a fighter if you want to see the AT that badly. It's nothing worth getting that worked up about.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Couldn’t you say the same about wasting time on making a spirit battle 🤔 They wouldn’t even have been wasting time, they could still have the AT but just make it disappear if the fighter is in play (or not care about that since Bomberman was promoted to a mii with an identical model and they didn’t do anything about that). There’s no need to remove their work from the game.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
There was a problem fetching the tweet
PREACH!
Kinda' late, but I should point out that Chrom, who is an echo, also appears beside Robin, even if the Fighter is in play.
So... I'm pretty sure if the Smash team let that happen, they probably wouldn't care about the same AT and Fighter coexisting in the same battle :V

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You don't understand, man. I need to be able to see a Starfy that just waddles around and does a spin attack even if we get a Starfy that does 30 more things.
I mean if Starfy could even do five more things he'd be able to decimate the entire roster with his deadly assassination techniques. Trust me, he needs that power limiter.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Kinda' late, but I should point out that Chrom, who is an echo, also appears beside Robin, even if the Fighter is in play.
So... I'm pretty sure if the Smash team let that happen, they probably wouldn't care about the same AT and Fighter coexisting in the same battle :V
I'm pretty sure you're right about that, since AT Bomberman can appear even with a white Bomberman Mii in the fight.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Precisely. They wouldn't necessarily care if it were to come to pass. I'd only care if they'd be fun to play and fight against, and a lot of the ATs are already fun to fight by default. Imagine being able to control that power.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Precisely. They wouldn't necessarily care if it were to come to pass. I'd only care if they'd be fun to play and fight against, and a lot of the ATs are already fun to fight by default. Imagine being able to control that power.
Imagine being able to control that power.
Me when I get to steer the Moon hurling towards the planet with murderous intent:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
If you're playing with ATs on, you're probably looking to get drunk, have some pizza and goof around with your buddies. I think someone playing for funsies has discerning who's who as the last thing on their mind over the fact that Ryu holding a laser gun is shooting at you while a giant moon is about to crash into the stage as you are simultaneously trying to collect the Dragoon parts.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
And even then, we already have Alucard toggled off for Wii Fit Studio and Knuckles’ AT not spawning on Green Hill Zone. It’d be perfectly easy to simply not have a character’s AT appear when they are in battle, but can spawn when they are not.

Honestly it’s really only Smash where people get this worked up over this stuff. Other fighting games have characters appear in the bg or whatever and it doesn’t stop anyone from pushing for them as DLC. There’s just some weird assumption in the Smash community about why that isn’t possible for some reason.

Not that I think it will happen for any AT this time around, but still. I agree Chrom already kinda destroyed this whole thing but nobody acknowledges it for some reason.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And even then, we already have Alucard toggled off for Wii Fit Studio and Knuckles’ AT not spawning on Green Hill Zone. It’d be perfectly easy to simply not have a character’s AT appear when they are in battle, but can spawn when they are not.
Yeah, that seems to be the scenario that's most widely agreed upon. I think we can all agree that they could make an AT promotion work. The main source of debate is if they want to do it in the first place. And even if Nintendo and Sakurai are open to it, there's also the question of who they'd go with, since there's only a small selection of viable candidates left and they each have their own potential drawbacks that hinder them. Seeing as our first Spirit promotion was Min Min, it's not like there's really a pecking order of priority.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
IT'S A MII COSTUME.

No joke, I'm gonna legit cry with rage inside me if an AT ever got promoted as DLC.
I think you're taking speculation a tad bit too seriously. At the end of the day we're all dorks in here speculating about which scrimblo bimblo will make it in this children's party game. I've reached a point where I honestly don't really care who gets revealed next, partly because I've been getting bored of Smash due to no offline tournaments but also because I really don't expect anymore characters that I want to get in what with most of them being deconfirmed and only two slots remaining.

If an AT gets upgraded, nothing important will change. Life will keep moving on and we'll continue arguing about Fire Emblem for the nth time.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There’s just some weird assumption in the Smash community about why that isn’t possible for some reason.
I've heard someone say this before, but it seems to have something to do with the crossover aspect of Smash, and wanting as many franchises/their favorite ones to appear in it as possible, and not wanting to believe characters from already represented franchises or ones they don't care about still have a chance.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I've heard someone say this before, but it seems to have something to do with the crossover aspect of Smash, and wanting as many franchises/their favorite ones to appear in it as possible, and not wanting to believe characters from already represented franchises or ones they don't care about still have a chance.
The More factions there are, the bigger the warfare is...

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Give me playable Rathalos or give me death!

But yeah, as for as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter who gets added for the final two as long as they're fun to play, even if they were an assist, spirit, or whatever. There's only a handful of fighters I'd actually get super-hyped for (and most of them are deconfirmed), but I'm all right with just about any character at this point as long as they're fun.

Though my current mindset might be more because I kinda fell off from playing Smash as other games and life in general has been taking up my time.

cothero

Smash Lord
Do you guys think we'll get another 1st party rep? The only 1st party characters we got were from relatively recent games released on Switch. The ones i used to though that could have a chance became spirits already (Astral Chain, Pokémon S&S, Ring Fit Adventure), so the only case i can see a Nintendo character getting in is as a bônus character pretty much like PP, not connected with recent releases. Not that spirits events means a definitive deconfirmation, but no doubt it's a red sign for a character inclusion. Dragalia Lost is in such a strange situation, cuz there's no sign of the game in european and latian american contries, so IDK.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Do you guys think we'll get another 1st party rep? The only 1st party characters we got were from relatively recent games released on Switch. The ones i used to though that could have a chance became spirits already (Astral Chain, Pokémon S&S, Ring Fit Adventure), so the only case i can see a Nintendo character getting in is a bônus character pretty much like PP, not connected with recent releases. Not that spirits events means a definitive deconfirmation, but no doubt it's a red sign for a character inclusion. Dragalia Lost is in such a strange situation, cuz there's no sign of the game in european and latian american contries.
I think it's likely.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Do you guys think we'll get another 1st party rep? The only 1st party characters we got were from relatively recent games released on Switch. The ones i used to though that could have a chance became spirits already (Astral Chain, Pokémon S&S, Ring Fit Adventure), so the only case i can see a Nintendo character getting in is as a bônus character pretty much like PP, not connected with recent releases. Not that spirits events means a definitive deconfirmation, but no doubt it's a red sign for a character inclusion. Dragalia Lost is in such a strange situation, cuz there's no sign of the game in european and latian american contries.
Even if E3 still has to have a third-party in order to be "hype", there's still the matter of Smash finales always being low-key.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Do you guys think we'll get another 1st party rep? The only 1st party characters we got were from relatively recent games released on Switch. The ones i used to though that could have a chance became spirits already (Astral Chain, Pokémon S&S, Ring Fit Adventure), so the only case i can see a Nintendo character getting in is as a bônus character pretty much like PP, not connected with recent releases. Not that spirits events means a definitive deconfirmation, but no doubt it's a red sign for a character inclusion. Dragalia Lost is in such a strange situation, cuz there's no sign of the game in european and latian american contries, so IDK.
Jango Fett Possibly - Album on Imgur

bottom text

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Just say you don't like the AT characters (Lyn, Isaac, Zero, Alucard, Waluigi, etc.) dude, because that reasoning doesn't make sense. From your comment it sounds like each AT needs like a year of development, and that's obviously not the case. And even if that was the case, these resources wouldn't go away if we suddenly got an AT promotion. As others said, you would just need the AT to be disabled when the fighter is in the stage.

And well, I don't think having both at the same time would be that unlikely to be honest, when we can have Robin summoning Chrom to... hit Chrom.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think it could happen. Granted, the current options left aren't as obvious as XC2 was, but hey, we've gotten the likes of Joker, Terry, and Min Min in this cycle. I'm willing to open up to some risker options.

On that note, the three first-party packs we've gotten have all been games from the "modern"/Switch era. On the other hand, the bulk of those games have been Spirited away, leaving us with only a couple risker options I mentioned before. Those would include:
  • Euden - Dragalia Lost is a decently large Nintendo game, getting regular updates and a couple major crossover events. Plus, it'll appeal to the mobile market, which has a lot of potential due to the simpler, more casual aspect of it. I'm expecting at least something from it at the end of the day, even if it's not a fighter.
    On the other hand, Dragalia isn't present in PAL regions It's not quite as bad as the oft-cited Takamaru case, but it could still limit a Dragalia pack's reach. That's also a major reason why Euden doesn't get as much discussion as he could.
  • Ayumi Tachibana - When it comes to characters chosen in advance, people tend to make them sound like their packs release alongside their games. That's not the case, though; They always have around half a year to a full year between their game's release and the pack's release, so any end-of-pass promotional pick would have to have released in the first half of 2021 at the earliest. Of those games, the FDC remakes are the only ones that really fit. As such, Ayumi becomes among the more likely first-parties by virtue of almost all her competition getting taken out. That being said, FDC's been dormant for decades, and apparently isn't getting a physical release. There's a foundation, but it's still rather shaky.
  • King Boo - This one is simple: Luigi's Mansion 3 doesn't have a Spirit Event. That being said, LM3 also has content in the form of the Poltergust used for Luigi's throws, and even if the direct connection isn't clear for some people, there's still the fact that Luigi himself is there. That's what makes King Boo risky; Luigi would be a close-enough tie to Luigi's Mansion on his own.
If we're feeling especially daring there's Isaac. He's a pretty popular request and could act as a sort of Banjo equivalent. On the other hand, Golden Sun hasn't shown any sign of activity lately, and it seems increasingly unlikely that trademark's gonna go anywhere.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
From your comment it sounds like each AT needs like a year of development, and that's obviously not the case. And even if that was the case, these resources wouldn't go away if we suddenly got an AT promotion.
Not to mention that Smash 4 ATs literally have their data copied and pasted from that game, only with some slight tweaks like changing Lyn's eyes to match the playable FE reps.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I dunno maybe.

I think Euden, Inteleon or Ayumi would be cool, I don't really care enough about a lot of other first parties to really have much of an opinion about.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
100%. I do think we’re getting another First Party, and my personal bets are Euden, a Pokémon, Ayumi, or Tabuu.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you guys think we'll get another 1st party rep?
If Nintendo chooses Pokemon, then yes. If they don't, then probably not. But who knows, we had a Sephiroth nut in Nintendo's executive lineup. Maybe we got a Chibi-Robo nut too or something.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This is completely off topic, but if you have a Playstation 4/5, you can download Horizon: Zero Dawn for free. This isn't a PS+ game, anyone with one of those systems can play it. I bought it a few months back, and from the little I've played it's quite enjoyable.

cothero

Smash Lord
If you could have a new sonic rep and you could choose between Knuckles or Shadow, which one would you choose and why?

Mine's Knuckles, definitely. Glide, wall climbing, dig attack, he would be perfect as a strongest and somewhat slowest version of Sonic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom