• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hehehehehe... Dark horse picks, huh? Here's one that would almost exist PURELY to upset people

View attachment 312044

Hehehehe. Yeah. Totally gonna add "Misty and Starmie" for one of em.

You go "But why?"

Pokemon Company goes "We sold our soul to the mobile gaming devil, please buy our microtransactions! Only paid gems count!"

You go "Of ALL the Pokemon characters you could pick, THIS one! I mean, you could have added-"

Pokemon Company retorts "NOSTALGIA MAAAAAAAAAAAAN she's so nostalgic, gen 1 maaaaaaaaan"

And that's as good an explanation as you and your family, past, present and future, are gonna get.

See, you COULD get your playable Eggman... WITH the destroyed city and Death Egg Robos in the background and still have it fit "Leftover Theory".

Of COURSE, this depends on how closely they'd work with SEGA on this. VERY tinfoil hat stuff here but like... I remember being surprised that Smash Wii U had the Lost World stage when Lost World was like, SO new at the time. Like, maybe they do work with SEGA and have it tie into a NEW Sonic game coming out? Assuming it's like oh.... let's hypothetically say "Sonic Rush 3" just to upset somebody on the internet... then Blaze the Cat isn't off the table, and she'd come with a stage from that game. That's one way.

But yeah, Sonic Forces man... not unlike Xenoblade 2 base game, it had a couple spirits (Chaos and Infinite), a couple music tracks, nothing more.... now suddenly it comes back with an Eggman Empire vengeance hahahahahahaha. People will be "tortured for months" hahaha.
I thought we all agreed Euden was the most likely Nintendo mobile pick, as specific as that is.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Well, after very long and hard thinking, i am ok with mortal kombat or doom making the cut. As long as they tone down the brutality, it could work. Hell, with the personality of doom slayer from 2016, he would make a great anti hero like archtype.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, after very long and hard thinking, i am ok with mortal kombat or doom making the cut. As long as they tone down the brutality, it could work. Hell, with the personality of doom slayer from 2016, he would make a great anti hero like archtype.
Okay, buckle up everyone, I have the STUPIDEST idea in the history of stupid ideas:

Mortal Kombat... but with an anime artstyle. It would help make the brutalness less brutal, AND it would be more appealing to Japanese players.

SKX31

Smash Master
If it happens, I'm gonna have to git gud at parries, 'cause there's no way we get Dark Souls without a special parry mechanic.

I don't know why, but letting go of shield at the right time is way harder to me than pressing the button at the right time.
It's because the parry mechanic in Ultimate is activated in the first 5 frames after a shield drop. The shield also has to be put up 3 frames before it can be dropped too - effectively making the earliest possible timing for a parry 4 frames. I reccommend using Training Mode and practicing parries on projectiles first. Wolf's Blaster is a good starting point since it's not super-quick and it doesn't do a lot of normal shield damage. Plus, it has a long duration to it - it's one reason why so many :ultwolf: will use it at many different junctures. Parrying is also risky, so in general I recommend going for it if you're confident you can get something from either the parry or the normal shield. (Edit: Saying this in case of slight mis-timing, most of the time holding shield is good enough.)

Now I do believe that if there's a special parry mechanic it might be a bit more lenient than that - if only because parries can be absolutely inconsistent to anyone who's not amongst the tippy top. The only pros I've seen master it are Zain (Melee) and Light (Ultimate), and their games looks way different from most pros because of that (although a lot of Melee / Ultimate pros are at least pretty good at it). While I haven't played Dark Souls, I also kinda assume that the parry is a bit more lenient than 5 frames there, so there's that.

Okay, buckle up everyone, I have the STUPIDEST idea in the history of stupid ideas:

Mortal Kombat... but with an anime artstyle. It would help make the brutalness less brutal, AND it would be more appealing to Japanese players.
Does this count?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

It's not like it would be difficult to tone down the violence anyway - they've done it before. (Gray Fox, Joker, etc.)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's why i started the sentence with "I STRONGLY BELIEVE" instead of I'M CERTAIN".
Despite the sense in why they might return to previous intentions for some of the characters, investing in overarching themes across the pass is prime patternism, so any strong convictions towards it at all seem ill fated.

I strongly believe that at least one of the final two characters will throw a complete wrench in the belief that this is some second-chance pass, and will result in a fair share of mental gymnastics among those who wish to keep this theory alive. But we shall see, I suppose.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's because the parry mechanic in Ultimate is activated in the first 5 frames after a shield drop. The shield also has to be put up 3 frames before it can be dropped too - effectively making the earliest possible timing for a parry 4 frames. I reccommend using Training Mode and practicing parries on projectiles first. Wolf's Blaster is a good starting point since it's not super-quick and it doesn't do a lot of normal shield damage. Plus, it has a long duration to it - it's one reason why so many :ultwolf: will use it at many different junctures. Parrying is also risky, so in general I recommend going for it if you're confident you can get something from either the parry or the normal shield.

Now I do believe that if there's a special parry mechanic it might be a bit more lenient than that - if only because parries can be absolutely inconsistent to anyone who's not amongst the tippy top. The only pros I've seen master it are Zain (Melee) and Light (Ultimate), and their games looks way different from most pros because of that (although a lot of Melee / Ultimate pros are at least pretty good at it). While I haven't played Dark Souls, I also kinda assume that the parry is a bit more lenient than 5 frames there, so there's that.

Does this count?

I was thinking actual anime, not "anime-esque", but if it's all we got, it's all we got.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I thought we all agreed Euden was the most likely Nintendo mobile pick, as specific as that is.
Could be...

Though... IF WE'RE GONNA entertain my jokepost... you COULD say that Misty is a "nostalgic fan favorite character" and that would put her into "she'd sell on her own merits" territory whereas Dragalia Lost seems like a base game pick to me personally.

Even if that "nostalgic fan favorite character from one of the most recognizable series ever" happens to also directly tie in to a microtransaction laden app that Pokemon Company apparently loves enough to keep it going and give it a rebrand from "Pokemon Masters" to "Pokemon Masters EX".

Misty Violent Love Advice.png

She gon' punch ya. Apparently punching people off guard and then punching them again is her idea of love advice, according to "Bye Bye Butterfree".

You could have "family friendly cartoon Mortal Kombat" if you went with the old Defenders of the Realm children's cartoon.

Have one of the taunts just be "KOMBAT TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!" (It was the 90s, you needed cartoon catchphrases).

"Much has changed since the last Mortal Kombat Tournament"... such as not being able to kill each other anymore since this is a kids show.

And occasional weird dialogue like beating a skeleton "Rest in peace... or shall I say... pieces..."

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
The Absolutely Safe Capsule was absolutely a joke. Them using the Empty sprite was as intentional as them using a fan sprite for the Masked Man.
If it's a joke, then it's a terrible one. They fixed the M.M. sprite, so they would fix the Absolutely Safe Capsule sprite as well.

Yeah, but the pass ending with an advertising character that is Porky for the English release of Mother 3 is absolutely something I can live with.
Agreed. He is worthy of a grand finale. I really want to see fan art of him and Sephiroth together. They'd be best friends easily.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hehehehehe... Dark horse picks, huh? Here's one that would almost exist PURELY to upset people

Masters_Misty_Starmie.png
Masters_Misty_Starmie.png

Hehehehe. Yeah. Totally gonna add "Misty and Starmie" for one of em.

You go "But why?"

Pokemon Company goes "We sold our soul to the mobile gaming devil, please buy our microtransactions! Only paid gems count!"

You go "Of ALL the Pokemon characters you could pick, THIS one! I mean, you could have added-"

Pokemon Company retorts "NOSTALGIA MAAAAAAAAAAAAN she's so nostalgic, gen 1 maaaaaaaaan"

And that's as good an explanation as you and your family, past, present and future, are gonna get.
Yeah, shouldve been Brock.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
My Dark Horse pick for one of the last two is absolutely a Dark Souls Character. It being one of Namco’s absolutely most ludicrous properties is enough but that’s not taking into account just how much it would shake up character speculation.
I 100% agree. A Dark Souls character has been my most wanted, and my prediction for a long time now. I may be biased, but the general consensus seems to be that they have a decent chance. By the way, what kind of image files work for your avatar? I'm new, sorry

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I 100% agree. A Dark Souls character has been my most wanted, and my prediction for a long time now. I may be biased, but the general consensus seems to be that they have a decent chance. By the way, what kind of image files work for your avatar? I'm new, sorry
I believe most image files work? I’m not sure, honestly. You upload them from your device through the uploader if you haven’t figured out how to do it it’s in the profile tab on the top right.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
if (fighter:Midna) in play; {
disable (at:midna);
}
Just turn off the AT when the fighter is present, just like when they interfere with the stages. We've gone over this like twenty times already. Just let it go; Nobody even mentioned ATs before you drudged it up again.
Heck no I'm not gonna let it go. I strongly believe that, in the grand scheme of things, promoting an AT as DLC would just do more harm than good.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Heck no I'm not gonna let it go. I strongly believe that, in the grand scheme of things, promoting an AT as DLC would just do more harm than good.
You didn't address my other point, and Peridot's entire post. If an AT is promoted, they can just disable the trophy when the fighter is on the stage. The code's already in the game, and not much would need to be changed to make the program work. It's not going waste all their efforts or wreck the balance or whatever any more than any other fighter. You're the only person who gets so worked up over this.
Has Sakurai ever stated anything about AT promotions within the same game?
Well, there's that quote all the way back from when Waluigi's AT was revealed Smash 4. Dunno where it is, but it was something along the lines of "He's an Assist Trophy, which means he's not a fighter. Better luck next time!"

Thing is, that was A: About six or seven years ago, and B: Was for the base game. Meanwhile, we're now in the second wave of DLC, and said DLC is much more structured than Smash 4's. That, and the fact that Nintendo's making the choices and not Sakurai. There's a decent chance things have changed, and Sakurai hasn't given an official statement on the matter since that Waluigi quote. As such, it's an oft-debated topic nowadays; If we had a definite answer that was still unambiguously relevant for our current position, we wouldn't be debating it in the first place.

Technomage

Smash Champion
You didn't address my other point, and Peridot's entire post. If an AT is promoted, they can just disable the trophy when the fighter is on the stage. The code's already in the game, and not much would need to be changed to make the program work. It's not going waste all their efforts or wreck the balance or whatever any more than any other fighter. You're the only person who gets so worked up over this.
Though that does bring up the question of ATs appearing in specific Spirit Battles: Wouldn't disabling the AT ruin the battle?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't know if this is a hot take or not, but I just always figured assist trophies were simply more likely to be promoted from game to game rather than within the cycle of one title, specifically because that's the amount of time to both get a strong sense of feedback from fans about them and formulate a full blown fighter from it. Not to say its impossible to do that within the era of a single game just that its more practical time wise to do it between releases.

cothero

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure one of the last two fighters is going to be a video game character...

...And the other one too. They'll come with a bunch of video game songs and a stage based on his game appearances. Ask me anything, i'm that good at predicting things.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Though that does bring up the question of ATs appearing in specific Spirit Battles: Wouldn't disabling the AT ruin the battle?
Hmm, good point. Then again, the Spirit Battles do have some pretty fricky difficulty spikes. Whoever designed Baby Bowser's fight needs to fight their creation and see what it's like. Plus, the fighters in the Spirit Battles don't change alts if you select their color, and Min Min, Pyra, and Mythra's Spirit Battles were kept intact as well. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the ATs in the Spirit Battles would just be left the way they are.

Alternatively, maybe they'll add the fighter version instead? They've had different versions for the Miis, like with Cuphead. Sakurai seems like the kind of guy who would go back and change a bunch of Spirit Battles to accommodate for the AT's addition, though as mentioned above, he could just as easily not change anything.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hmm, good point. Then again, the Spirit Battles do have some pretty fricky difficulty spikes. Whoever designed Baby Bowser's fight needs to fight their creation and see what it's like. Plus, the fighters in the Spirit Battles don't change alts if you select their color, and Min Min, Pyra, and Mythra's Spirit Battles were kept intact as well. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the ATs in the Spirit Battles would just be left the way they are.

Alternatively, maybe they'll add the fighter version instead? They've had different versions for the Miis, like with Cuphead. Sakurai seems like the kind of guy who would go back and change a bunch of Spirit Battles to accommodate for the AT's addition, though as mentioned above, he could just as easily not change anything.
Yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh, those battles were cheap; I often have to just cheese it with the Ore Club.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Are any of them disabled while their player variants are in play?
The game isn't out yet. But the devs did confirm that in addition to the guest assists, all the playable fighters will be available as assists. And considering Fraymaker's whole schtick is "Hey what if we made a platform fighter with air dashing and competitively viable assists?" I don't think they'll lock certain assists out of being picked just because the fighter is selected. It's really a non-issue.

Technomage

Smash Champion
It would be interesting/amusing if they went the Alfonzo route for fighter like assist trophies and had replacements show up if you play as the fighter.

"When playing as Alucard, the related assist trophy will instead release... Kid Dracula!"
Yeah, they could have easily done that for Spring Man.

Also, if they add Waluigi, then they'd replace his AT with Wawaluigi (get the reference?). :4pacman:

They shouldn't have made the Bomberman Mii Costume then. Sometimes I get confused when there are 8 default Bombermen and there's also an Bomberman Assist Trophy out in the open

It is what is is though
Guess they wouldn't need to disable any ATs, then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom