• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On a completely separate note, I've been thinking about Ayumi lately, mostly because I'm waiting for the game to release. My biggest concern with the possibility of her inclusion in Smash is that, as far as I'm aware, the remake is only getting a physical release in Japan. That doesn't look like a product Nintendo wants to push heavily elsewhere, at least not to the extent of getting a fighter in Smash.
Wait, it's not physical?

...Huh, not getting an English physical release. In all honesty I've just been holed up in lockdown somuch that I've kinda forgotten to really check if a game's physical or not. That, and I've just been going through my backlog for the past couple months so I've never really needed to check. Physical/digital release just don't seem to cross my mind anymore.
People talk about Crash or Master Chief for the potential second western character, but not going to lie I am jumping on the League train, specifically Ahri.
I've actually been leaning towards LoL a little lately myself. Though, I don't really know much about it, so I'm not really in a position to start the convos or keep them going. All I know is Ahri, a couple other names like Lux and Ryze, a couple items that reference Touhou (Of course), and the fact that there's about 150 characters, give or take, and it's easy to joke about the horrifying LoL guessing games. I suppose there's some room to talk about LoL, though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
At this point I'm only expecting a single reveal at E3, which given the pass's trends so far will probably either be a first-party or a third-party from a company that already has content in Ultimate.

cothero

Smash Lord
I strongly believe this fighters pass is solely composed by the leftovers who couldn't be added in the base game with the exception of Steve, whose development took a lot more time due to his complexity as a character.

In other words: i'll be very surprised if they add a character from a new franchise, let alone from a company not involved with smash already.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I believe this fighters pass is solely compesed by the leftovers who couldn't be added in the base game, with the exception of Steve, which development took a lot more time due to his complexity as a character. In other words: i'll be very surprised if they add a character from a new franchise, let alone from a company not involved with smash already.
That's the conclusion I reached too. Sephiroth was hinted by the lack of spirits for Cloud in the base game (he was the only character who couldn't benefit from the "spirits from the same series" bonus), Sakurai stated that arms and xenoblade 2 simply missed their chance for the base game, and Steve was worked on for five years.
I am not saying that the second pass was already planned from the beginning; but the second pass was made with characters who were in the mind of Sakurai from the beginning. I'm trying to sound epic here so I hope it'll get through.

D

Deleted member

I strongly believe this fighters pass is solely composed by the leftovers who couldn't be added in the base game with the exception of Steve, whose development took a lot more time due to his complexity as a character.

In other words: I'll be very surprised if they add a character from a new franchise, let alone from a company not involved with smash already.
I guarantee you'll be surprised then. All our theories and speculations have been smashed so far. Either the next one or the final one is going to make us do a double take and we'll realize that months of speculation were in the wrong direction yet again. Happens every time lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Only one character really has a chance nowadays... And he is going to break through at E3.

Finally a good ****ing character.

That's the conclusion I reached too. Sephiroth was hinted by the lack of spirits for Cloud in the base game (he was the only character who couldn't benefit from the "spirits from the same series" bonus), Sakurai stated that arms and xenoblade 2 simply missed their chance for the base game, and Steve was worked on for five years.
I am not saying that the second pass was already planned from the beginning; but the second pass was made with characters who were in the mind of Sakurai from the beginning. I'm trying to sound epic here so I hope it'll get through.
There was conversations between Mojang and Nintendo for 5 years for smash, it did not take 5 years for Steve to be created.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I guarantee you'll be surprised then. All our theories and speculations have been smashed so far. Either the next one or the final one is going to make us do a double take and we'll realize that months of speculation were in the wrong direction yet again. Happens every time lol.
Yeah, I kinda doubt the entire pass is going to have a consistent theme. Mainly because of Byleth; After four characters worth of brand-new franchises, we got a first-party from a series that's already represented. I'm expecting a pattern-breaker in the last two fighters. Heck, maybe both of them will break the Second Chance Theory. If they do, I wouldn't be very surprised.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
There was conversations between Mojang and Nintendo for 5 years for smash, it did not take 5 years for Steve to be created.
I didn't mean that, I argue that negotiating for a character would be part of the work since you cannot simply use him. My English needs to improve but I'm not foolish enough to think that Steve was such a difficult-to-make character that they needed five whole years.
Imagine the poor developer stuck in the room forced to work only on Steve.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I didn't mean that, I argue that negotiating for a character would be part of the work since you cannot simply use him. My English needs to improve but I'm not foolish enough to think that Steve was such a difficult-to-make character that they needed five whole years.
Of course, we're talking about the character that was so complex that they had to rework every single stage just so that his gimmick would function properly.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I figured that is what you meant I just wanted to clarify

Naughty Developers get sent to the Steve chamber.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Of course, we're talking about the character that was so complex that they had to rework every single stage just so that his gimmick would function properly.
So there really is a guy that they hate so much he was locked in a room and could only get out if he somehow managed to make Steve works on all stages... Must be a guy who didn't like Sakurai's cat's pic.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The most likely character has never gotten in since Ultimate DLC started, except if they were leaked beforehand.

D

Deleted member

Something to think about in regards to the last two characters are the 'gimmicks'. There has actually been a gimmick for each character so far (save for Byleth who is yet again the odd one out).
Joker - Rebellion Gauge
Hero - Mp Gauge
Banjo - Wonderwing (crappy gimmick, but it is a gimmick nonetheless)
Terry - Go
Min-Min - Arms Playstyle (literally the only one with it; her entire fighting style is her gimmick)
Steve - Crafting
Sephiroth - Black Wing (Similar to Arsene, but won't appear as often and procs more similarly to Lucario's Aura)
Pyra/Mythra - Complete Dual Character (arguably shared with Pokemon Trainer, but the switch is instantaneous and and Mythra's got that suave dodge)

So, assuming this really is a thing and not a coincidence, who can be added that would have a lore-accurate gimmick to use? They may have made things up for characters like Captain Falcon, but they've been painstakingly loyal to the DLC character's games so far, so I doubt they'd toss loyalty to the wind this late in the game.

"Jesse, What the **** are you talking about?"
I can easily be wrong here, but I believe what he attempted to say was 'every character we said was most likely has never gotten in save for those who were leaked before we called them likely'.

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something to think about in regards to the last two characters are the 'gimmicks'. There has actually been a gimmick for each character so far (save for Byleth who is yet again the odd one out).
Joker - Rebellion Gauge
Hero - Mp Gauge
Terry - Go
Min-Min - Arms Playstyle (literally the only one with it; her entire fighting style is her gimmick)
Steve - Crafting
Sephiroth - Black Wing (Similar to Arsene, but won't appear as often and procs more similarly to Lucario's Aura)
Pyra/Mythra - Complete Dual Character (arguably shared with Pokemon Trainer, but the switch is instantaneous and and Mythra's got that suave dodge)

So, assuming this really is a thing and not a coincidence, who can be added that would have a lore-accurate gimmick to use? They may have made things up for characters like Captain Falcon, but they've been painstakingly loyal to the DLC character's games so far, so I doubt they'd toss loyalty to the wind this late in the game.
Pretty much anyone, honestly. Even if there isn't a readily apparent gimmick, you still have the gameplay mechanics to transfer over. With the right amount of creativity and some effort, anyone can be given a gimmick.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This is off topic but I wanted to imagine what a Sega music pack could look like, similar to SNK 50 music packs. My rules was that I didn't want Sonic and Puyo puyo music (Sonic because he already have music and Puyo puyo is big enough to have it's own pack in my opinion). I also only pick music from games that debut before Sega went third party (so before 2001). Also this is mostly for fun and not very objective, I mostly pick music from games I was familiar with and I probably skip a lot of good games or music.

Main theme (Space harrier)
Main theme (Alex Kidd in miracle world)
Castle (Alex Kidd in the enchanted castle)
Round one (Fantasy zone)
Don't stop (Super fantasy zone)
Keep on the beat (Super fantasy zone)
Splash wave (Out run)
City 202 (After burner 2)
Final take off (After burner 2)
Battle (Phantasy star)
Battle (Phantasy star 4: the end of the millenium)
Idaten (Shinobi 3)
Battlefield (Golden axe)
Wilderness (Golden axe)
Death adder (Golden axe)
Stage 1 (Bonanza bros)
Attack the barbarian (Streets of rage)
Dreamer (Streets of rage 2)
Dub slash/Enter shiva (Streets if rage 3)
Replay (Virtua racing)
Theme of Jacky (Virtua fighter)
Ride the tiger (Virtua fighter 2)
Main theme (Daytona usa)
Empire (Panzer dragoon)
Into the dark (The house of the dead)
Revenge (The house of the dead)
Emperor theme (The house of the dead 2)
Nights and Reala (Nights into dreams)
Message from Nightopia (Nights into dreams)
Patternal horn (Nights into dreams)
We are burning rangers (Burning rangers)
Main theme (Chuchu rocket)
Single player theme (Chuchu rocket)
Earth and sea (Shenmue)
Forklift racing (Shenmue)
Spaceport: Introducing Ulala (Space channel 5)
The reporter from space channel 5 (Space channel 5)
Asteroid belt Go! Go! Go! Astrobeat jr (Space channel 5)
Coco tapioka the huge dancer (Space channel 5)
Guitar showdown (Space channel 5)
Opening (Skies of Arcadia)
Vyse's theme (Skies of Arcadia)
Sudden storm (Skies of Arcadia)
Battle theme (Skies of Arcadia)
Humming the bassline (Jet set radio)
Let mom sleep (Jet set radio)
Magical girl (Jet set radio)
That's enough (Jet set radio)
Funky radio (Jet set radio)
Creation the state of art (Rez)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I just really don't think there is a most likely character, I think there's a ton of good points in favor of a lot of different characters and it just comes down to what they prioritized.
Well, from what I can see, Crash and Master Chief are the most talked about right now, but people are hesitant on Chief because there has yet to be a case of a third-party company getting two reps in the same pass.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think "likely" went out the window a long time ago, and now there's "maybe", "probably not" and "definitely not". But that's just me.

In other words: i'll be very surprised if they add a character from a new franchise, let alone from a company not involved with smash already.
That's why we got Dante as FP5, because, as we had concluded around Terry, last pass's theme was all third-parties.

It is unwise to jump to conclusions such as these.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
It's also very possible for a character to be made with a theme rather than a gimmick, similar to Byleth or arguably Pyra/Mythra. I definitely believe they prioritize a character being fun to play and won't sacrifice that for an unfun gimmick that reps their game better.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This is the most likely explanation.

So we gotta look at stuff that was either recent or still popular back in 2017/8.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Well, from what I can see, Crash and Master Chief are the most talked about right now, but people are hesitant on Chief because there has yet to be a case of a third-party company getting two reps in the same pass.
Yes, they're probably some of the most discussed here, but that doesn't make them any more likely than a lot of other characters.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t think this pass is necessarily “picking up the scraps” as people seem to imply. Just because the characters so far seems to fit our idea of “barely missing the boat” doesn’t mean that’s how the pass is going to finish out.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think no. He works as the faceless Marine. All his costumes need to be the different color suits from multiplayer. I want Red vs Blue smash addition.
"It's lightish red!"

Sometimes nice things do happen.
You mean "stupid things don't happen when the entire internet threatens to burn down your office building when you say you're going to do a stupid"?

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don’t think this pass is necessarily “picking up the scraps” as people seem to imply. Just because the characters so far seems to fit our idea of “barely missing the boat” doesn’t mean that’s how the pass is going to finish out.
In a way, I do feel it mostly applies to Min Min and Pyra/Mythra, especially since Sakurai has stated characters from ARMS and Xenoblade 2 could've gotten in if revealed latter due to the project plan.

Steve is mostly 5 year negotiations finally taking form. Sephiroth I feel is the odd one out in because he's Sephiroth, not because Final Fantasy had very little content, that I think was a result of doing two/three games of negotiations for Cloud.

Thus, I think our last two will be rarely discussed characters that don't fit the "recycling" theory

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's also nothing more than conjecture that Sephiroth even fits this pattern.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Gimmicks I can think of:

Master Chief: Headshots
Prince of Persia: Time powers such as rewinding
Imperial (from Etrian Odyssey 4): Extremely powerful Drive attacks and Overheat status
Squall Leonhart: Smash attacks deal critical damage if you press the A button again, immediately after releasing it, as soon as the attack connects
Mega Man X: Air dashing and wall climbing
Chell: Portal gun to create two teleportation points anywhere
Monika (from Doki Doki Literature Club): Literally messes with the game's code

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sadly, PSP is still going under...

Also, for anyone wondering, I doubt Nintendo would listen to any outcry if they decided to shut down the Wii U/3DS eShops. They shut down the Wii Shop Channel despite the outcry from that...
It doesn’t really matter if PSP goes under because you can buy PSP games off the PS3 store still and move them to your PSP. That and the Vita is BC to most PSP games

Plus credit cards are notoriously unsafe on the PSP stores servers

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
And adding onto that point, most of the time when people say uniqueness, they mean big, crazy gimmicks. Byleth throws a wrench in that, because their moveset doesn't have any abnormal attributes, meters, or control schemes, just different weapons for different directions. It's consistent, at least, but it's not really a moveset-defining gimmick. To a lesser extent, Banjo does the same, as he only has a limited-use mechanic for a single special. The main punching bag for "Too simple" seems to be Crash, but going off of Banjo and Byleth, if he needs a gimmick that badly we can just slap Aku Aku on him and call it a day. There, problem solved.

We've just got it in reverse. "Moveset potential" isn't needed to get into Smash; Gimmicks and unusual fighters are just what Sakurai likes making.
Banjo-Kazooie also has a Stance Change (can one call it a gimmick? I vote yes, but it's not the first Stance Change) with Egg Fire / Breegull Blaster - it's just that that one is not flashy at first glance and it's a technical move. Most of the the time when I've seen casual B-K's I've seen them either use it on accident or as an attempt to further wall someone out. It becomes a different move when used by intermediate or better B-K players, where suddenly Blaster becomes a combo starter and tech chase tool.

That move is in an awkward position where it's useable on a casual level, but it becomes much more effective when one takes the time learning how Egg Fire and Breegull Blaster works in game. Granted, casuals generally play to have fun, and generally are not that keen on spending time looking at how Breegull Blaster pops people up a couple feet in the air so they can get another aerial out of it.

Still, one tip I've seen is that Breegull Blaster usually does a good job popping people up on platforms, so it's a good tech chase set up. And that doesn't require spending lots of time in Training Mode.

People talk about Crash or Master Chief for the potential second western character, but not going to lie I am jumping on the League train, specifically Ahri.
Welcome to the Summoners' Train. We have no brakes, and it's only 30 seconds until minions spawn. :4pacman:

Wait, it's not physical?

...Huh, not getting an English physical release. In all honesty I've just been holed up in lockdown somuch that I've kinda forgotten to really check if a game's physical or not. That, and I've just been going through my backlog for the past couple months so I've never really needed to check. Physical/digital release just don't seem to cross my mind anymore.

I've actually been leaning towards LoL a little lately myself. Though, I don't really know much about it, so I'm not really in a position to start the convos or keep them going. All I know is Ahri, a couple other names like Lux and Ryze, a couple items that reference Touhou (Of course), and the fact that there's about 150 characters, give or take, and it's easy to joke about the horrifying LoL guessing games. I suppose there's some room to talk about LoL, though.
I'm not super-familiar with LoL either (its older sibling / rival Dota 2 is my forte - having played that a lot between 2012 and 2017, and I still watch that), but I do have some familiarity with it thanks to having watched a lot of LoL and having delved into some of its characters. Ahri's been at the center stage ever since she made her first appearance in (I believe) Season 2-ish (if not early Season 1) - partly because she's considered one of the most dynamic and exciting characters to play (the other reasons... well, yeah :4pacman: ). Some other champions of note include Ryze (one of the centerpieces of the initial reveal), Renekton (one of the most popular tanks, partly because he's a ****ing croc), Jynx (very popular Harley Quinn esque character and centerpiece of LoL's marketing), Draven (LoL's resident "If Heihachi was even more of an egomaniac meme" character) and of course :teemo: .

LoL has a pretty decent shot, but it would be quite tight timing for Riot / Tencent because Tencent only started to collab with Nintendo seriously around the 2017 / 2018 window. It depends IMHO on a number of factors - if Smash Bros is indeed one topic that Nintendo and Tencent / Riot discussed or even partnered over when they entered talks being the primary factor. Now I would not be surprised if Smash was brought up in the talks - and not just because Riot is one of many, many studios that would gladly take the opportunity, but also since Tencent's MO is heavily based around multi-pronged projects, collabs and promotions (Pokemon Unite is certainly a part of this, as is the Switch's release in China - which Tencent handles).

I honestly find it difficult to call whether or not such talks lead anywhere in regards to Smash, and it's a main reason I can't say LoL's a frontrunner. Still, I definetely count it as a dark horse - especially for E3.

Of course, I'm reminding 3BitSaurus because he's the guy that's most familiar with it (2 support threads after all).

Ivander

Smash Legend
Joker - Rebellion Gauge
Hero - Mp Gauge
Terry - Go
Steve - Crafting
This is how Chosen Undead wins.

Chosen Undead - Parry and Riposte

That aside, as also mentioned, a Phantasy Star character could have Perfect Attacks.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
This is the most likely explanation.

So we gotta look at stuff that was either recent or still popular back in 2017/8.
Here is my black horse that I feel has a chance and is not often mentioned:

Velvet from Tales of Berseria. A game from 2016.
She could easily come with the Lloyd's mii costume.
We are still missing a females-only and blade-users only event tournaments in the game.
She's not a character I really want, but she's being slept on despite having a fair shot.
Also I couldn't find a picture of her that was less provocative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom