• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I mean, for what it's worth, Banjo was clearly a special case no matter how you slice it. I'm not saying he's an "exception" or anything, I do believe the gates are open to western characters if they so choose to continue in that direction, but I highly doubt Nintendo was studying the sales data from a game that released two decades ago to justify whether or not Banjo could be sold to a worldwide audience. At this point, anyone who was following Smash likely knew who Banjo was whether they played it back then or not. He's a legacy pick, for all intents and purposes.

In that regard, I don't think this matters all that much for Crash in and of itself either. But Crash being such a new request may put his sales figures under more direct scrutiny, while Banjo is a legacy pick and gets by more on sheer name recognition. Conversations about Banjo in Smash never really died down, while Crash fell off the map for a little while in general and never really had a role in Smash discussion, so it may be worth considering whether or not his revival reinvigorated what was once a pretty strong presence over there. Granted, in all fairness, I do recall Crash showing up on some Japanese fan polls I've browsed through so perhaps his initial legacy has had a lasting impact after all. It's really hard to discuss these things outside of our realm of direct understanding, I think it's a valid concern though.

I'm never that comfortable using Banjo as a direct comparison for any other characters because like... B&K are really the ONLY ones who have been requested for so long with such a special connection to Nintendo's history. There is a very clear additional incentive to adding Banjo, just as Minecraft is the biggest game in the world which further justifies Steve. I guess what I'm trying to say is that one door opens and paves the way for more, but while many see this in and of itself to justify that it can happen again, these discussions often leave me wishing more people told me why it will.
Sakurai Says Getting Banjo-Kazooie In Smash Bros. Ultimate Came "Quite Easily."

So, I guess Microsoft has edge over other western companies. MS and Nintendo US HQs are pretty close. That's how few Nintendo producers went to MS, and how they made MS publish few games on DS. So, those people are what paved way to relationship between MS and Nintendo, not Minecraft although Minecraft still greatly helped. I think this is why Master Chief Collection Switch port or Game Pass on Switch is still talked about.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

So, I guess Microsoft has edge over other western companies. MS and Nintendo US HQs are pretty close. That's how few Nintendo producers went to MS, and how they made MS publish few games on DS. So, those people are what paved way to relationship between MS and Nintendo, not Minecraft although Minecraft still greatly helped. I think this is why Master Chief Collection Switch port or Game Pass on Switch is still talked about.
That's pretty much the reason I've been keeping Master Chief in the back of my mind. Feel like there's some possibility that Nintendo struck this crazy deal with Microsoft to just bring three megaton characters to Smash and expand on representing the western sphere of gaming that had been absent up until this point. Banjo, Steve and Master Chief are all such distinct characters in their own right that it'd be weird to disqualify one by virtue of the other IMO, and Microsoft is probably perceived as a really important partner for Nintendo right now.

The fact that Microsoft just jumped on board and was able to get two characters off the bat is a pretty strong testament to how great this relationship is and I have confidence that this won't be the last we see of it, whatever other capacity that ends up being in (Xbox ports, game pass, Chief in Smash etc).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fulgore's the mascot and logo of Killer Instinct.

The games themselves have varied faces for who is plastered on the main cartridge/box. It's inconsistent. Gargos is on the N64 box, but I haven't seen the Arcade machine.

Jago only has been plastered alone once, and that's due to Killer Instinct 2013 specifically having him as a starter character. Fulgore among many others are in the definite edition's boxart.

It's best to think of it as this; there's a lot of core characters, but only one is the actual mascot/face(Fulgore). That doesn't mean he's the only plausible choice, as many stand out in tons of cool ways. That's part of why the series has a lot of popularity on its own, some of the best character designs you can get. Especially as the focus is on a very colorful cast, including a Conan the Barbarian expy, multiple shotoclones(till 2013 massively differentiated those), an evil Gargoyle(who is so evil that everyone in 2013 considers him too terrible to stay alive. Villains and Heroes united to take him down. A few villains still acted on their own, like Eyedol, but yeah). It's basically a Monster Mash combined with various human cultures. The Werewolf character, Sabrewulf? He's a Vampire too. You've got the classic Skeleton pirate(doesn't focus much on the pirating factor besides the stage) with Spinal. Maya is your Amazon Princess. Jago and B. Orchid are the male and female core ninja, each with their own stand-out designs and abilities. You have your typical boxer with T.J. Combo... which is pretty clearly a Balrog expy(but actually is more similar to Mike Tyson as is. Except a unique thing is that he eventually turns a new leaf and becomes a non-cheater to restore his dignity).

And that's just a tiny bit of a cool cast. Never mind the amazing music~

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That's pretty much the reason I've been keeping Master Chief in the back of my mind. Feel like there's some possibility that Nintendo struck this crazy deal with Microsoft to just bring three megaton characters to Smash and expand on representing the western sphere of gaming that had been absent up until this point. Banjo, Steve and Master Chief are all such distinct characters in their own right that it'd be weird to disqualify one by virtue of the other IMO, and Microsoft is probably perceived as a really important partner for Nintendo right now.

The fact that Microsoft just jumped on board and was able to get two characters off the bat is a pretty strong testament to how great this relationship is and I have confidence that this won't be the last we see of it, whatever other capacity that ends up being in (Xbox ports, game pass, Chief in Smash etc).
I HOPE this lasts. But Microsoft is one of those companies where it's a little hard to tell what they have planned...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Some people still forget that even after the 2002 Microsoft Buyout, Rare was still putting out content on the GBA and DS during the early-late 2000's.

Nintendo and Rare still collaborated with the Donkey Kong Country trilogy ports on GBA and THQ published any "Original" Rare IP's owned by Microsoft.

55399-donkey-kong-country-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg
26632-banjo-kazooie-grunty-s-revenge-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg
diddy-kong-racing-ds-box-art.jpg

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If Sakurai actually did go with a Battletoad, how would you like them to do it? If they only went with one Toad, do you think they would go with Rash again or would they go with Zitz or Pimple this time?

Personally, I would want them to do it the same way as Hero, where they all make it as alternate outfits. The only issue is that in most appearances, Rash is smaller and Pimple is bigger. I don’t think it would be much an issue to compromise and scale them all to Zitz’s height. The Toads were all just palate swaps in the original game as well as Battletoads & Double Dragon so there is some precedent in the three being the same size. Smash already has POR and RD Ike as alternate outfits so something like that can work.

cothero

Smash Lord

That's my point. Maybe Banjo was easier for being a Rare/Microsoft character, so in that way, Battletoads or Fulgore could be as easier and Banjo was to get in. Mojang and Rare are indeed both owned by MS, but maybe Mojang was a little more specific on the negotiation details (that took around 5 years). Rare on the other hand could be much easier to negotiate.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Do you people really want the show to be over? We only have two characters until the series goes away for a few years, I want to savor speculation for as long as possible.
They want to believe Sakurai will take a long vacation from making games. Too bad he won't, because Japanese work culture. It's sad, but it's true.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Do you people really want the show to be over? We only have two characters until the series goes away for a few years, I want to savor speculation for as long as possible.
I mean... I've had fun speculating, but at this point it's pretty stressful. Doesn't help that we still have that whole "only talking about the same characters" problem.

Then again, I've got other stuff going on IRL, which might be partially why I feel that way...

cothero

Smash Lord
If Sakurai actually did go with a Battletoad, how would you like them to do it? If they only went with one Toad, do you think they would go with Rash again or would they go with Zitz or Pimple this time?

Personally, I would want them to do it the same way as Hero, where they all make it as alternate outfits. The only issue is that in most appearances, Rash is smaller and Pimple is bigger. I don’t think it would be much an issue to compromise and scale them all to Zitz’s height. The Toads were all just palate swaps in the original game as well as Battletoads & Double Dragon so there is some precedent in the three being the same size. Smash already has POR and RD Ike as alternate outfits so something like that can work.
I think all three toads could work as a character like Hero does, yeah. Size difference is not a problem in smash, which can led to some strange situations sometimes, as K. Rool and DK having the same size (K. Rool is MUCH taller in DK games). Maybe they could stick to Rash solo like in KI, i wouldn't complain.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think all three toads could work as a character like Hero does, yeah. Size difference is not a problem in smash, which can led to some strange situations sometimes, as K. Rool and DK having the same size (K. Rool is MUCH taller in DK games). Maybe they could stick to Rash solo like in KI, i wouldn't complain.
Whatever they decide to go with, I just hope Sakurai uses their Battlemaniacs or arcade designs instead of their reboot designs. Thankfully, Sakurai tends to go with classic designs like Mega Man, Simon, and Banjo so I don’t think we’d have to worry much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

The biggest issue is that there's an odd number of them. It probably wouldn't be too bad to be like "hey look, they have 12 costumes isn't that great!" and watch the Wario and Little Mac fans cry in reduced costumes, but it would be a thing they'd have to address nonetheless.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
The biggest issue is that there's an odd number of them. It probably wouldn't be too bad to be like "hey look, they have 12 costumes isn't that great!" and watch the Wario and Little Mac fans cry in reduced costumes, but it would be a thing they'd have to address nonetheless.
they either have to give one Battletoad the short end of the stick...

or unearth the secret fourth Battletoad :4pacman:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think what they would likely do is have one primary toad with four outfits and the other two would have two each. In this case, Zitz makes the most sense as the primary toad. Not only is he the leader but he has also had the most color variations in the games. He has been tan, lime green, and now bluish green. Either that or give them one extra outfit slot and give them three outfits each.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe they could use just Rash as a character and implement Pimple and Zitz in his final smash, that would be cool too.
Yeah, I would be really hyped if any of them made it. My ideal is for all three but I would be more than happy with this.

I guess the optimal thing they could do is have the other two as echoes but there is almost no chance of that ever happening so the next best thing is alt outfits.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
We’re now a month out from the reveals of Pyra and Mythra which means there’s probably a month or a month and a half left before we get fighter 10. Then after that, there’s only one more left.

:031:
A month and a half at least.

Lowkey lots of people are spoiled a bit with how fast we got Steve Seph and Pythra. I would say guess something is coming later so that instead of being tense about the wait it is something expected. Get FP10 faster? Cool. Get them at E3? Also cool.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So this should be interesting

There was a problem fetching the tweet

LOOKS fake but if true we’re finally freakin getting a female Robin amiibo

I do have questions tho:
1. Why not jump straight to the pass 2 peeps, at LEAST start with Min Min, Steve and Sephiroth
2. They’re really gonna do the Ultimate versions of characters that didn’t debut in Ultimate? Then again I don’t blame them a lot of Smash 4 amiibo are of... questionable quality

never mind apparently that’s cuz Link and Zelda’s Ultimate designs are different
So, uh, besides the mirrored render thing... if they're doing P2 Amiibos of characters with new designs, then where's Dorf?

He still had his TP design in 4, no? Why update Link and Zelda, but not him?

Leaning towards fake, tbh.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Seriously, how likely do you think a late April reveal is?
Very low imo. I'm sure that Sephiroth and Pythra's fast releases were to make up for the long gap between the ARMS announcement and Steve's announcement, at least that is the vibe I'm getting. I'm personally not expecting anything until E3.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Sure, speculation may be fun, but getting to the end result of all the DLCs is the ultimate (no pun intended) goal we have; thus, while I can wait as much as needed, it is nice to get to it sooner.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Another overlooked Sega character that could happen, this girl right here:

View attachment 310175

Sakura is even more overlooked as a character than Terry was, and she could be that kind of "OMG NO ONE PREDICTED THAT" type of character in this pass.
i can't see sakura happening. she's not vectorman, and vectorman is a shoe-in, baby!

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Same here. Isn't Fulgore the face of that series, by the way?
I was always under the impression it was Orchid but I’ve only ever see Fulgores name tossed around here so perhaps I was wrong.
I think Orchid is like the secondary mascot of Killer Instinct, I mean she has been thrown around in multiple promo art of the game and probably has as many promo art (mostly being suggestive) most notably the arcade and N64 version of KI 2, I think she's the main character in the comic and also KI (2013) as she appear first when opening the select screen.

Considering this is a fighting game where the game's own mechanic is universal it's not hard to choose the icon.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Another overlooked Sega character that could happen, this girl right here:

View attachment 310175

Sakura is even more overlooked as a character than Terry was, and she could be that kind of "OMG NO ONE PREDICTED THAT" type of character in this pass.
I keep hearing conflicting statemrnts on her, so I'll just add her to the "wait and see" pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom