• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
This was his response to a Zelda Direct.

I think it's either
-A Partner Showcase
-Indie World
-General Direct
-Hardware Showcase
Seems reasonable, but again, it feels... REALLY early for a General Direct when we got one not even a full 2 months ago. That'd have to be the fastest we've ever gotten 2 Directs back to back.

Doubly so since the General Direct covered stuff up to May, and we're just now in April.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Seems reasonable, but again, it feels... REALLY early for a General Direct when we got one not even a full 2 months ago. That'd have to be the fastest we've ever gotten 2 Directs back to back.

Doubly so since the General Direct covered stuff up to May, and we're just now in April.
That is why i'm leaning more towards a Hardware showcase or one of the more minor presentations like an Indie World or Partner Showcase.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, Directs used to be bimonthly so it'd only feel too early because we're used to going 6 months without a direct now
Bimonthly?

Directs were almost always quarterly, not bimonthly.

We'd get a Direct anywhere between December-March, a Direct always in June, and one in September, but one every other month has never been a thing, General Directs, of course, game-specific ones can come whenever.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know…most of the DLC fighters’ Classic Mode routes have been kinda disappointing so far.
  • Hero’s is just fighting the other Heroes and other DQ-related things
  • Banjo’s is just fighting characters in two again
  • Byleth’s is just Lucina’s but backwards which is ironic because Lucina is technically going backwards in her route
  • Min Min’s is just emulating ARMS characters for the sake of it
  • Steve’s is just emulating Minecraft characters for the sake of it
  • Pyra/Mythra’s is just Meta Knight’s again, just with slightly different characters
Only a few routes really felt unique to me.
  • Joker’s has you recruiting the characters you defeat
  • Terry’s is more or less 7 rounds of KOF battles
  • Sephiroth‘s has you fighting every boss, obviously
If I could change the other 6 Classic Mode routes I mentioned earlier, I’d have:
  • Hero fight characters from JRPG’s in general (the genre DQ pioneered)
  • Banjo fight characters from N64 games (the bird and bear’s console of origin)
  • Byleth fight characters mirroring different FE gameplay mechanics, such as durability or the Weapon Triangle (since he’s a professor and he’s meant to teach these to his students)
  • Min Min fight characters with slowly increasing range (what I mean is starting with Little Mac, then moving on to Zero Suit Samus, and so on)
  • Steve fight characters from other 3rd party companies
  • Pyra/Mythra fight characters referencing other Xeno games (ending with fighting the Hands with the help of Shulk)

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

take this with a grain of salt, perhaps just a molecule of NaCl.

i really need to go to sleep.
Hm. I could see that tbh. A lot of applets were updated (and some applet services were changed to have access to other services.) And the lack of patch notes are very suspicious. So... this is what I think could be happening.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bimonthly?

Directs were almost always quarterly, not bimonthly.

We'd get a Direct anywhere between December-March, a Direct always in June, and one in September, but one every other month has never been a thing, General Directs, of course, game-specific ones can come whenever.
Check it yourself dude
Most Generals were 2 months apart until only a few years back

7NATOR

Smash Master
I also kind of doubt a Partner Showcase since there was quite a bit of 3rd Party content in the Direct anyway, and as mentioned, the Stuff was covered until May-June

So I guess at

-Indie Direct
-Hardware Update of somekind
-Smash reveal

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve fight characters from other 3rd party companies
The Minecraft emulating + Far Lands reference is much better imo.

Him being the 3rd-party catch-all sounds kinda boring and disappointing; feels uninspired. Basing it off of Minecraft and getting creative with the representation is very awesome imo.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Check it yourself dude
That's fair I suppose, but at the same time, that's as you said, a few years back.

Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly eat crow if we get a full-blown General this week, Smash and all, like, hell, who wouldn't want to if that were the case, but it feels just too soon, IMO.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
perhaps it could be a partner showcase? They were despised only because we were in the middle of a drought. Now that we have been parched, they might be accepted with open arms.

is it just me or am i using really weird grammar tonight? seriously, "parched"?
Also, parched is a synonym for thirsty. Quenched is probably the word you're looking for.

Steve fight characters from other 3rd party companies
I feel like that would be a bit disjointed from the character. I mean, it would be kind of random for the 11th 3rd party character to make a big deal of the 3rd parties, especially since the 12th one follows shortly.

I guess if you didn't want to just imitate characters from his series, you could go for characters from open world games...Assuming there's enough of them.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
You know…most of the DLC fighters’ Classic Mode routes have been kinda disappointing so far.
  • Hero’s is just fighting the other Heroes and other DQ-related things
  • Banjo’s is just fighting characters in two again
  • Byleth’s is just Lucina’s but backwards which is ironic because Lucina is technically going backwards in her route
  • Min Min’s is just emulating ARMS characters for the sake of it
  • Steve’s is just emulating Minecraft characters for the sake of it
  • Pyra/Mythra’s is just Meta Knight’s again, just with slightly different characters
Only a few routes really felt unique to me.
  • Joker’s has you recruiting the characters you defeat
  • Terry’s is more or less 7 rounds of KOF battles
  • Sephiroth‘s has you fighting every boss, obviously
If I could change the other 6 Classic Mode routes I mentioned earlier, I’d have:
  • Banjo fight characters from N64 games (the bird and bear’s console of origin)
  • Byleth fight characters mirroring different FE gameplay mechanics, such as durability or the Weapon Triangle (since he’s a professor and he’s meant to teach these to his students)
  • Min Min fight characters with slowly increasing range (what I mean is starting with Little Mac, then moving on to Zero Suit Samus, and so on)
  • Steve fight characters from other 3rd party companies
  • Pyra/Mythra fight characters referencing other Xeno games (ending with fighting the Hands with the help of Shulk)
I mean if you boil it down to being that simple any of them sound lame even the ones you suggested.

"Pyra/Mythra fight characters referencing other Xeno games for the sake of it"

your own logic doesn't make a lot of sense here.

I do agree that some should be more unique though.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I want to discuss Sakura more but since she is obscure it's hard to keep a discussion going without people immediately dismissing her.
Say she pilots a mecha. The prevailing religion of SmashBoards is Vectorpon, with worships the creator Sukapon and his herald Vectorman. Both Sukapon and Vectorman are mechanical. Therefore, everybody loves mechanical stuff and saying Sakura pilots a mecha will get everyone on board. This is perfect infailable logic.
Basically, it's a setting that allows the Switch to render in 4K, with 30 FPS. This is something the current Switch model can theoretically support. It's just been non-existant in the firmware up until now.
Y'know for a moment I wasn't sure if this was a joke or not until you clarified it was a new feature. At this point it's hard to tell what's a %$#@post or not especially when the bogus "Flame" codename accidentally came true.

Shroob

Sup?
Say she pilots a mecha. The prevailing religion of SmashBoards is Vectorpon, with worships the creator Sukapon and his herald Vectorman. Both Sukapon and Vectorman are mechanical. Therefore, everybody loves mechanical stuff and saying Sakura pilots a mecha will get everyone on board. This is perfect infailable logic.

Y'know for a moment I wasn't sure if this was a joke or not until you clarified it was a new feature. At this point it's hard to tell what's a %$#@post or not especially when the bogus "Flame" codename accidentally came true.
Dread from it
Run from it
Fire Theory Burns Bright

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Actually...It's technically been debunked by Mythra.
Well, that depends on how you count her. She's technically a separate fighter, but she shares a slot with Pyra, to the point the two are labeled Pyra/Mythra in some cases. I think it's safe to say she still falls under Fire Theory just by virtue of being inseparable from Pyra.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, that depends on how you count her. She's technically a separate fighter, but she shares a slot with Pyra, to the point the two are labeled Pyra/Mythra in some cases. I think it's safe to say she still falls under Fire Theory just by virtue of being inseparable from Pyra.
No
Stop
Stop using logic to bolster a ****post
Bad SharkLord

Shroob

Sup?
I think a smash direct is way more likely than a general direct this soon.
I think a Smash Direct is the least likely of them all unless they're pulling the plug on DLC this early and going "Okay, here's your last 2 characters, bye."

A Sakurai Presents also seems extremely unlikely as a standalone since, well, Directs are back.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think a smash direct is way more likely than a general direct this soon.
I'd say it's the opposite. Even then it's probably something Super Smash Bros. absolutely wouldn't be involved in.

I am so glad I stayed up to view your response.

But now I must go. 6Hrs and 30Mins remain until my alarm goes off.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Check it yourself dude
The shift to more quarterly Directs is not a new phenomenon, it happened like midway through the Wii U's lifespan. Moreover, the format has shifted into the rapid-fire headline-based approach which condenses many more games into Directs than used to be present in your average general Direct of the first few years, which repeatedly lingered on the same titles at a duration arguably longer than necessary for it not being dedicated to that game/series. This method results in fewer Directs, because each Direct covers more topics.

Additionally, many of those general Directs which appear close together on that list are due to regional variants, such as Japanese or Korean exclusive Directs, which don't happen much these days.

So entertaining a return to bimonthly Directs is kind of ignoring how long it's actually been and how much has changed since that frequency was more common. At least with general Directs.

Not to mention the previous Direct gave a fairly thorough idea of most of the major first-party software to come up until... August? so another happening soon doesn't exactly seem paramount.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Wait hold up, we're getting news this week? I'm honestly not in the "antsy" mood for news so this is actually pretty surprising. Thought we'd be getting news after Mario Golf Super Rush launched, as Nintendo's spring and summer are full. The next Smash reveal and launch will probably be in July.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm assuming any major announcement and anything related to the Zelda anniversary would've been revealed in either the first Direct or around E3. Honestly, we're so close to June that a general Direct seems pointless.

Whatever it is, I'm not expecting it to be anything crazy exciting. I'm not waltzing in expecting BotW2, Prime 4, and another Splatoon 3 teaser.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hero's classic mode actually represents the story of DQ 1, with a fake-out fight against rathalos before the end representing the dragon you have to fight partway through the game, and robin/charizard as the actual boss representing the dragon lord.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Wild Card you say?

Well, a Metroid Direct would be a wild card direct, therefore Metroid Direct confirmed.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That sounds about right. Sakura's in a really polarizing situation; Absolutely humongous in Japan, extremely niche in the West. They're at least making an attempt to expand to the West as of late-Plus some anime, manga, and Project X Zone, which at least counts for something. Still, if they get added, they would have to be a Japan-appeal character. Y'know how Touhou's situation is awkwardly slanted? Sakura Wars is pretty much that except both the pros and cons are on steroids.
Yeah, Sakura Wars is just plausible enough that it could happen imo, but I'm not sure if she'd be picked over other Sega characters, especially over Arle or Kiryu, who come from bigger series with more widespread popularity.

That's not to say that she's impossible, far from it, but being possible and being likely are two different beasts, methinks.

That said, I do disagree with the notion that she's slept on. She's brought up quite a bit and, unlike Lara Croft, for example, she seems to have plenty of supporters in this thread who can outline her pros and what she could do. It's just that most people here don't perceive her as likely, which is a bit different than not considering the character at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom