• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Say she pilots a mecha. The prevailing religion of SmashBoards is Vectorpon, with worships the creator Sukapon and his herald Vectorman.
I never thought we'd be one day pushing Sukapon as a religious figure on Smashboards dot com but I'm glad this is what my life has come to

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I really don't think we're getting a Sinnoh character unless it is to deliberately promote Legends: Arceus. Not only does Smash very, very rarely give remakes any content outside of music and spirits (the Pokemon Trainers using their FireRed/LeafGreen designs and Gerudo Valley being based on the 3DS version of OoT are the exceptions), but Lucario, Spear Pillar, and Brawl's soundtrack already cover a lot of ground that the original Diamond/Pearl provided.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I mean if you boil it down to being that simple any of them sound lame even the ones you suggested.

"Pyra/Mythra fight characters referencing other Xeno games for the sake of it"

your own logic doesn't make a lot of sense here.

I do agree that some should be more unique though.
Okay maybe I’m a bit of a hypocrite in that regard, but here’s where my logic was with that one; KOS-MOS, Shulk and Elma were just a few playable characters from XC2, with the latter two appearing in Challenge Mode. So I kinda wanted to make that route idea a homage to that (which is at least more unique than fighting characters imitating a single game).

D

Deleted member

Wait hold up, we're getting news this week? I'm honestly not in the "antsy" mood for news so this is actually pretty surprising. Thought we'd be getting news after Mario Golf Super Rush launched, as Nintendo's spring and summer are full. The next Smash reveal and launch will probably be in July.
So far we're on a good trend of a reveal roughly every two months after a character releases, so there's a fair chance our next teaser/reveal will be Mid-Late May with a drop in early June. We're on track to be getting our last character in October.

Again, let me just stress this is just Theory based on the last several reveals and releases for FP2 so far; don't take it as fact lol. Just using this timeframe to get an idea of when we get things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really don't think we're getting a Sinnoh character unless it is to deliberately promote Legends: Arceus. Not only does Smash very, very rarely give remakes any content outside of music and spirits (the Pokemon Trainers using their FireRed/LeafGreen designs and Gerudo Valley being based on the 3DS version of OoT are the exceptions), but Lucario, Spear Pillar, and Brawl's soundtrack already cover a lot of ground that the original Diamond/Pearl provided.
I don’t really care so much which generation the Pokémon is from as much as whether I like the actual Pokémon themselves. So far they’ve been doing a good job even though Lucario and Mewtwo are the only ones near the top of my favorite Pokémon list. I am starting to get pretty bored with starter Pokémon in general and would prefer they mixed it up a bit more. The one exception of a starter I would be hyped for is Blastoise because that’s my brother’s favorite Pokémon. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening when we already have Pokémon Trainer.

D

Deleted member

I don’t really care so much which generation the Pokémon is from as much as whether I like the actual Pokémon themselves. So far they’ve been doing a good job even though Lucario and Mewtwo are the only ones near the top of my favorite Pokémon list. I am starting to get pretty bored with starter Pokémon in general and would prefer they mixed it up a bit more. The one exception of a starter I would be hyped for is Blastoise because that’s my brother’s favorite Pokémon. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening when we already have Pokémon Trainer.
I'm kind of back and forth on the chances of another Pokemon being added. Some days I feel like there's a good chance and other days I feel like the chance is near zero. My hope, if we did get one, would be for Cynthia as a trainer since she's probably the most well known Elite 4 Champion and she is from Sinnoh. My personal wishlist for how she'd fight would be she actually fights herself and her specials or smash attacks would have her pokemon appear for an attack similar to how Zelda summons the Knight to rush forward for a Slash or how Duckhunt Dog summons the Western Outlaw briefly.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm kind of back and forth on the chances of another Pokemon being added. Some days I feel like there's a good chance and other days I feel like the chance is near zero. My hope, if we did get one, would be for Cynthia as a trainer since she's probably the most well known Elite 4 Champion and she is from Sinnoh. My personal wishlist for how she'd fight would be she actually fights herself and her specials or smash attacks would have her pokemon appear for an attack similar to how Zelda summons the Knight to rush forward for a Slash or how Duckhunt Dog summons the Western Outlaw briefly.
I love that idea. I had pretty much the exact same idea for Lysandre back in Smash 4 speculation. I think that would be a really fun way to represent Pokémon that hasn’t been done yet. Cynthia is also my favorite champion so she’s a great choice.

D

Deleted member

I love that idea. I had pretty much the exact same idea for Lysandre back in Smash 4 speculation. I think that would be a really fun way to represent Pokémon that hasn’t been done yet. Cynthia is also my favorite champion so she’s a great choice.
She's a lot of people's favorite. I can't speak for everyone, but I know when I first played Diamond and went against her, she was legit the first (and only thus far) Elite 4 Champion to actually scare me; her Garchomp soloed my team. I really wasn't expecting it to be as fast as it was. It was faster than, and crit, my only pokemon with an Ice move at the time and proceeded to steamroll me. Her team really was worthy of a champion and that Garchomp was no joke.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I dunno. I can't really picture Cynthia punching or kicking. It feels out of character for her. Originally I was thinking that a trainer fighting themselves would be a bad idea, but I think there are quite a few that could get away with it like Professor Kukui, Archie, Crasher Wake, every single Fighting Type Gym Leader, Lt. Surge, etc. I just don't think it fits Cynthia.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's gonna be really interesting to see if Nintendo has one more "megaton" character left this pass, and E3 2021 is do or die time for that.

2013 - Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer
2014 - Pac-Man, Mii Fighters, Palutena
2015 - Ryu, Roy
2018 - Ridley, Daisy, "Everyone is here!"
2019 - Hero, Banjo & Kazooie

All these years had at least one really mic drop character. Yes, yes, it was weird that Palutena instead was revealed in the actual Direct back in 2014, but we still nonetheless got Pac-Man out of that year anyways.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I dunno. I can't really picture Cynthia punching or kicking. It feels out of character for her. Originally I was thinking that a trainer fighting themselves would be a bad idea, but I think there are quite a few that could get away with it like Professor Kukui, Archie, Crasher Wake, every single Fighting Type Gym Leader, Lt. Surge, etc. I just don't think it fits Cynthia.
Personally, I think the best fits for this idea are evil team leaders, other villains, champions, or fighting type gym leaders or elite 4 members. I think Guzma and Golisopod would make for an awesome duo character and I can definitely see Lysandre with his Dr. Octopus arms or Lusamine possessed by Nihilego being great options as well.

Cynthia is a great character but I agree that she isn’t the first one that comes to mind as an actual fighter. Still, they made Peach, Zelda, and Palutena work and none of them were typically seen as fighters before Smash so I think they could make it work.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It's gonna be really interesting to see if Nintendo has one more "megaton" character left this pass, and E3 2021 is do or die time for that.

2013 - Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer
2014 - Pac-Man, Mii Fighters, Palutena
2015 - Ryu, Roy
2018 - Ridley, Daisy, "Everyone is here!"
2019 - Hero, Banjo & Kazooie

All these years had at least one really mic drop character. Yes, yes, it was weird that Palutena was revealed in the actual Direct back in 2014, but we still nonetheless got Pac-Man out of that year anyways.
This is how Cash Banooca still wins

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Personally, I think the best fits for this idea are evil team leaders, other villains, champions, or fighting type gym leaders or elite 4 members. I think Guzma and Golisopod would make for an awesome duo character and I can definitely see Lysandre with his Dr. Octopus arms or Lusamine possessed by Nihilego being great options as well.
I disagreed with Lysandre until you mentioned his tech. It does literally nothing so I forgot he had it. lol

I don't think all of the villains would fit though. Geovanni, Maxie, and Cyrus all strike me as characters that wouldn't be bothered to physically strike you, and would rather just do what they always do and rely on their Pokémon. The idea of Chairman Rose fighting is amusing though.

I don't think it would make sense for most of the Champions to have this. I think the only ones that could get away with it are Leon since he's already a pretty active person (still seems like a stretch though) or Lance, but him I wouldn't have him fight directly so much as ride his Dragonite into battle.

Possessed Lusamine makes too much sense though. Honestly I'm disappointed all she did was buff her Pokémon slightly. She would have made for such a cool boss.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Well damn it looks like I was wrong again about something.

But I am curious, was the rumored 600,00 dollar entry fee for companies at E3 actually a thing? Or was it removed once they started getting heat for it?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Looks like we're indeed getting a Direct during those days.
Well then, that seals the deal for me. I was already expecting that we'd be waiting to hear about the next character till around E3 time, and this pretty much guarantees it. Of course it's not impossible or anything that we could get news sooner, I just highly doubt we will. I wonder if we'll get two reveals, though, since every E3 has had two (and it wouldn't surprise me if Steve would have been an E3 reveal had things not gotten screwed up by covid). Nintendo usually does a fall Direct, so a realistic timeframe could be: 2 characters revealed early June (E3), one character releases July/August, the next September/October (I think following a Direct with a Sakurai Presents is something they've done before iirc, so it would follow the fall Direct). The existence of one last bonus fighter could be revealed in the fall Direct or Presents, with the character reveal at The Game Awards and release shortly after. That is, if the bonus character is actually a thing.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So I guess we'll likely see the next fighter at E3 this year. Who're you hoping for? I'm placing my bets on Cash Banooca.
I honestly think Crash isn't happening. It appears that this Pass is focusing less on expanding the crossover than the first one, especially considering that 3/4 of the FP2 characters came from games that already had content in the base roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nintendo's gonna be there eh?

Eeup seems guarantee now that's when our next reveal will be.

Still banking on a double reveal. CP10 coming out that same month, CP11 coming out September-October.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
E3 is going to be a make it or break it moment for a lot of characters.
Crash
Dragonborn
Sonic characters
Capcom characters
Sora
Ezio

And many other characters have their last chance at E3. Because I highly doubt we will get someone like Dante or Eggman as the last character as Nintendo is incapable of ending on a high note. And yes I do believe we will get a big pick here. I usually agree with people that we wouldn't get a big character this late into a pass, but keep in mind that Nintendo planned out this pass in advanced so they knew they were going to cover two E3s so it makes sense for them to save a big character this late into the pass.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crash
Dragonborn
Sonic characters
Capcom characters
Sora
Ezio

And many other characters have their last chance at E3. Because I highly doubt we will get someone like Dante or Eggman as the last character as Nintendo is incapable of ending on a high note. And yes I do believe we will get a big pick here. I usually agree with people that we wouldn't get a big character this late into a pass, but keep in mind that Nintendo planned out this pass in advanced so they knew they were going to cover two E3s so it makes sense for them to save a big character this late into the pass.
Don't forget Master Chief.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So we know Nintendo's gonna be there now? Now to move on to Phase 2: how is the Smash reveal gonna go. Will there be one or two? More importantly, will it be a big name character, or will we have another Palutena situation?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So we know Nintendo's gonna be there now? Now to move on to Phase 2: how is the Smash reveal gonna go. Will there be one or two? More importantly, will it be a big name character, or will we have another Palutena situation?
Double reveal. Certainly one of the two characters will be someone "big" the other it could go either way.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Crash
Dragonborn
Sonic characters
Capcom characters
Sora
Ezio

Could they include an eastern appeal character too to make it Hero & Banjo 2.0 with emphasis on Hero here?

Reimu? Estelle? KOS-MOS? ...Ahri/LoL cause South Korea and China appeal?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So I guess we'll likely see the next fighter at E3 this year. Who're you hoping for? I'm placing my bets on Cash Banooca.
I'm tired of all this uncertainty so I'm going to make a bold claim and stick to it, Crash Bandicoot and Sgt. Cortez will be the dual reveal for this E3!

Now that I know Koch Media is making an appearance this E3, this makes Sgt. Cortez appearing in Smash Bros all the more likely!

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm tired of all this uncertainty so I'm going to make a bold claim and stick to it, Crash Bandicoot and Sgt. Cortez will be the dual reveal for this E3!

Now that I know Koch Media is making an appearance this E3, this makes Sgt. Cortez appearing in Smash Bros all the more likely!
So what other companies are gonna go to E3?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I believe that there will only be one reveal, and it might be another first-party.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Could they include an eastern appeal character too to make it Hero & Banjo 2.0 with emphasis on Hero here?

Reimu? Estelle? KOS-MOS? ...Ahri/LoL cause South Korea and China appeal?
Possibly. I'm not leaning towards a double reveal but if I did happen I could see it being someone like Lloyd, Reimu or Estelle. I definitely think that it would be smart to reveal Reimu and then Crash right afterwards to soften any backlash. But that would mean that Crash is the last character so I guess you could swap him out with any character who is even remotely popular in the west. Or they could just reveal Crash first which would still decrease backlash for the last character who I know is going to be niche.

Again, my predictions are Crash at E3, Arle in September and if we are getting a bonus character, Waluigi. Honestly that would be a solid lineup in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom