• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
If the reports that FP2 has a smaller budget than FP1 are true, then it would make more sense to just stick with the third party companies they already have agreements with rather than making new ones.
Okay where is this "smaller budget" talk coming from because I've heard absolutely nothing about it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, RIP "One character for every month theory." Guess we're getting Nintendo at E3 again this time.
Could they include an eastern appeal character too to make it Hero & Banjo 2.0 with emphasis on Hero here?

Reimu? Estelle? KOS-MOS? ...Ahri/LoL cause South Korea and China appeal?
  • Reimu could happen if we're really lucky, banking off Touhou's widespread nature and hoping people will at least recognize someone from Gensokyo.
  • Kinda iffy on Estelle. Trails has gotten bigger in recent years, but Falcom's still pretty dang small.
  • I don't really expect another Xeno character in general after Pyra and Mythra
  • What with how big it is, LoL might as well be the megaton reveal in general

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
gasp

An off topic post! I knew you were going to do something bad, but not something this deplorable! :4pacman:

in the post-min pre-steve days, it was a common theory cause why else would they go for a first party? After Steve and Sephiroth, people discarded it.
There were still some who believed that Steve and Sephiroth were the budget though. Perhaps it's coming back.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
in the post-min pre-steve days, it was a common theory cause why else would they go for a first party? After Steve and Sephiroth, people discarded it.
Well for one thing there are other reasons to add 1st parties besides having a low budget, but RileyXY1 RileyXY1 mentioned there were REPORTS which implies some sort of insider. I'd like to hear more about THAT please. Is it just baseless?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I wouldn’t think so compared to SNK.
Atlus had the opportunity to bring in SMT contents and Snowboard kids and more Atlus titles and not just persona 3-4-5 but they didn’t do it.
To be fair, only SMT is confirmed to be connected to Persona, and even then it's a very loose connection these days.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So apparently ArcSystem Works has released the results of their popularity poll, as well as the highest usage data from the Guilty Gear Strive Beta:

Most used:
  • Japan: Ramlethal
  • Asia: Sol
  • North America: Ramlethal
  • South America: Giovanna
  • Europe: Ramlethal
  • Oceania: Ramlethal
Most liked:
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
Whelp. I guess we know who our hypothetical Guilty Gear character would be. :4pacman:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
To be fair, only SMT is confirmed to be connected to Persona, and even then it's a very loose connection these days.
That’s like saying Rabbid is connected to Rayman knowing how they are now a separate things.
The fact that Jack Frost who is the mascot of Atlus is not present in this game just shows how disconnected SMT is from Persona

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So apparently ArcSystem Works has released the results of their popularity poll, as well as the highest usage data from the Guilty Gear Strive Beta:

Most used:
Most liked:
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
Whelp. I guess we know who our hypothetical Guilty Gear character would be. :4pacman:
Man if you thought Sephiroth was the furthest we could go in terms of long ranged sword characters, get ready for Ramlethal to say **** it and just toss two giant floating swords at you.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sephiroth alone proves that Nintendo had a decent budget set aside for FP2. It's sort of a miracle they were able to to negotiate a lower price for him.

Regardless, I do think a chunk of the budget may have been spent on him and Steve. Might explain why the pass is currently a 50/50 split between first and third-parties.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn’t think so compared to SNK.
Atlus had the opportunity to bring in SMT contents and Snowboard kids and more Atlus titles and not just persona 3-4-5 but they didn’t do it.
I don't think you can compare SNK to other companies with the King of Fighters already uniting different properties of the company together.

Also, it's not like ATLUS is the one who gets to decide what content Sakurai/Nintendo asks for.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Regardless, I do think a chunk of the budget may have been spent on him and Steve.
Pretty much this. It's not that FP2 has a smaller budget, it's that it was spent differently.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Most used:
Most liked:
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
  • Ramlethal
It should be Sol but if somehow Ramlethal made it into Smash I'd laugh A LOT. I mean, I can already imagine the tweets
"We got another anime waifu/weeb bait, and on top of that, she has TWO swords... and her range is like Min Min's. Sakurai I HATE YOU"

For reference

In Guilty Gear she can throw her swords accross the screen. It's a big part of her character gameplay wise.

Now on a more serious note, she was always really popular. It also helped that Ram was probably considered one of the strongest characters of the past beta so a lot of people used her. Ironically, I barely found people using her. Most people I played with used Sol, Ky, May or Chipp, while I mostly used Sol, Millia and Leo.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"We got another anime waifu/weeb bait, and on top of that, she has TWO swords... and her range is like Min Min's. Sakurai I HATE YOU"
You forgot "How can we blame Ramlethal on a Sol AT/Mii costume?"

SKX31

Smash Master
Still counts. ZUN on his own is the company.
L' entreprise, c'est moi.* :4pacman: (Sorry for the possibly mangled French).

*(Whether or not Louis XIV actually said this - chances are he didn't and it's a later description of the system he helped build - the point still stands.)

Man if you thought Sephiroth was the furthest we could go in terms of long ranged sword characters, get ready for Ramlethal to say **** it and just toss two giant floating swords at you.
And then they explode!
And so a new age of zoning began. Most characters covered in fear as they faced off against Blazing Ends on steroids. Not even :ultminmin mains were safe.:4dedede:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Jokes aside, I do think Ramlethal's range is being overplayed here. Her max range is more comparable to Sephiroth, and while that's still redonkulous, very few of her attacks seem to be full swings where she really leans into it, so her range would probably be more comparable to normal swordfighter's on average.

Also, the dynamic of a swordfighter who can use her swords as dangerous projectiles at the cost of her disjoints sounds incredibly interesting, especially for Super Smash Bros.

EDIT: And it would be different from Pyra in that it would be the focus of her design, and that she can actually do stuff without her swords.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Since when does Nintendo only add 1st party if they can't afford a 3rd party? They like promoting their own franchises of course...
And yet I do think it's easy to fall back on first party characters to fill the gaps. Of course Nintendo likes to showcase their own games, but it's also obvious that Nintendo characters don't require the same amount of paperwork and negotiation to bring to life in Smash, let alone price.

I don't think anyone was saying this is the "only" reason they make it, but it's a practical enough reason to explain why we may get more first parties following two of the biggest characters we've ever gotten. A character Min Min and Pyra could get slipped in later, someone like Steve or Sephiroth would require a lot of additional planning prior to their implementation.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'd like to add my opinion on a Guilty Gear rep: If Sol were to be the playable rep, then I think he should also come with Order Sol as an echo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was thinking about how exactly they'd impliment Sol's moves and assuming they don't give him a Back Special I think they'd do something like this:
  • Neutral Special: Gun Flame (Tap for the feint variant)
  • Side Special: Bandit Revolver (This is a rekka like Dancing Blade)
  • Up Special: Volcanic Viper (Hold for more power and distance in exchange for vulnerability)
  • Down Special: Bandit Bringer
  • Command Only Special or Dash Attack: Fafnir
  • Forward Smash or Dash Attack: Night Raid Vortex
  • Back Throw: Wild Throw
As for the Command Inputs...A lot of them overlap, so I think they might either make some require the normal attack button and others require the special move button (which I don't think is a good idea), or change up some of them.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, was that second bonus DLC character talked some time ago disproven some time back, if I may ask?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Say, was that second bonus DLC character talked some time ago disproven some time back, if I may ask?
Well, someone did state that only the New Zealand site has that mistake, while the other regions' sites didn't; that reduces the probability of that theory being true by a big margin (though not completely, so you can still hold onto hope that the theory's true, if you want; that's what I'm doing, to be honest).

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Now that you mention Warner Bros. Gaming, I decided to do some research on the games they made and add in characters of theirs I see as possible for Smash's E3 DLC reveal:

Scorpion from Mortal Kombat
Maxwell from Scribblenauts
The Kid from Bastion
Alma Wade from F.E.A.R.
Agent 47 from Hitman
Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw
Don't start talking about Scorpion, please.

VR13S3i.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom