• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Possibly. I'm not leaning towards a double reveal but if I did happen I could see it being someone like Lloyd, Reimu or Estelle. I definitely think that it would be smart to reveal Reimu and then Crash right afterwards to soften any backlash. But that would mean that Crash is the last character so I guess you could swap him out with any character who is even remotely popular in the west. Or they could just reveal Crash first which would still decrease backlash for the last character who I know is going to be niche.

Again, my predictions are Crash at E3, Arle in September and if we are getting a bonus character, Waluigi. Honestly that would be a solid lineup in my eyes.
I don't expect Crash, or anyone from an unrepresented company for that matter.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You realize you pretty much repeated the same thing multiple times in the same page right? How about you explain your reasoning?
FP2 has focused less on expanding the crossover of Smash than FP1 did, especially considering that 3/4 of the characters (or 4/5 if you count Pyra and Mythra separately) come from games that already had content in the base roster of Ultimate. The only new franchise added so far is Minecraft, which was in the works for 5 years and is owned by Microsoft, which already had a character in Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

I'm tired of all this uncertainty so I'm going to make a bold claim and stick to it, Crash Bandicoot and Sgt. Cortez will be the dual reveal for this E3!

Now that I know Koch Media is making an appearance this E3, this makes Sgt. Cortez appearing in Smash Bros all the more likely!
You have an awful lot of confidence in the appearance of a character from a game that hasn't seen the light of day in 15+ years. Good for you.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still standing out on my current prediction.

CP10: Swordfighter character (Adol Christin, Chosen Undead, Dovahkiin, Euden, Nightmare, Tales protagonist, etc.)
CP11: Master Chief

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
FP2 has focused less on expanding the crossover of Smash than FP1 did, especially considering that 3/4 of the characters (or 4/5 if you count Pyra and Mythra separately) come from games that already had content in the base roster of Ultimate. The only new franchise added so far is Minecraft, which was in the works for 5 years and is owned by Microsoft, which already had a character in Ultimate.
Then who do you think the next characters will be? Because Min Min and Pythra were added because they were from the games that were specifically pointed out as having missed the train for base roster. Sephiroth was added because FF7 desperately needed more content. But now I'm kind of struggling to see what other series really needs more content. That is why I think there will be one or two more characters from new series.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Then who do you think the next characters will be? Because Min Min and Pythra were added because they were from the games that were specifically pointed out as having missed the train for base roster. Sephiroth was added because FF7 desperately needed more content. But now I'm kind of struggling to see what other series really needs more content. That is why I think there will be one or two more characters from new series.
I actually believe that Sephiroth was added as part of a concession to have Cloud in the base roster. And, there could be other ways of expanding the representation of what we already have, as many people have talked about Sonic and Street Fighter getting additional characters, and that Nintendo could add a character from an upcoming 2021 game.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I support the motion of only 1 reveal and will be at the beginning of the E3 Direct (like Sephiroth was the first thing showed at TGA and Pyra/Mythra were the first announcement of february direct).

Don’t idea of whom it can be, yes, its likely to be the last chance to get a “megaton fighter” and possible someone with huge popularity in the west (like megaman, ridley, banjo, etc).

But that hand is huge; someone from a western company can be Crash, Scorpion, Spyro, Master Chief, Lara Croft, etc

But if its from a japanese company, it can be Dante, Agumon, Chosen Undead, Sora, Phoenix Wright, etc.

The possibilities are almost endless

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
While it's cool to see Nintendo at E3, I feel like E3 itself has been losing its lustre and a "megaton" Smash reveal or the mentality of "it's now or never for character x" isn't really necessary. Like, I could totally see just some first party reveal.

good to have a time frame of when to expect new Nintendo news in general though: something in June the latest, if nothing before.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Off the top of my head, Nintendo, Xbox, Capcom, Konami(?), Warner Bros. Gaming, Take-Two Interactive, and Koch Media. There's also a chance Sony and EA WON'T be there this year.
Now that you mention Warner Bros. Gaming, I decided to do some research on the games they made and add in characters of theirs I see as possible for Smash's E3 DLC reveal:

Scorpion from Mortal Kombat
Maxwell from Scribblenauts
The Kid from Bastion
Alma Wade from F.E.A.R.
Agent 47 from Hitman
Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw

I actually believe that Sephiroth was added as part of a concession to have Cloud in the base roster. And, there could be other ways of expanding the representation of what we already have, as many people have talked about Sonic and Street Fighter getting additional characters, and that Nintendo could add a character from an upcoming 2021 game.
There's also a Gen 8 Pokemon.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
While it's cool to see Nintendo at E3, I feel like E3 itself has been losing its lustre and a "megaton" Smash reveal or the mentality of "it's now or never for character x" isn't really necessary. Like, I could totally see just some first party reveal like Palutena.

good to have a time frame of when to expect new Nintendo news in general though: something in June the latest, if nothing before.
Yeah. I don't think that it has to be some massive third party character getting revealed.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That is a fair take. I'm just saying that Crash does make a lot of sense and there are other characters like Arle who have a lot going for them and there are plenty of unrepresented series that could get in.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That is a fair take. I'm just saying that Crash does make a lot of sense and there are other characters like Arle who have a lot going for them and there are plenty of unrepresented series that could get in.
If the reports that FP2 has a smaller budget than FP1 are true, then it would make more sense to just stick with the third party companies they already have agreements with rather than making new ones.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You have an awful lot of confidence in the appearance of a character from a game that hasn't seen the light of day in 15+ years. Good for you.
That is mostly due to the recent buyout of the series, them hiring back one of the co-creators of the series and them saying they're plotting the course for the franchises return, All happening during the development of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and the two fighter passes.

If that never happened, all my Sgt. Cortez talk would have absolutely nothing to fall back on so yeah, hooray for me.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
If the reports that FP2 has a smaller budget than FP1 are true, then it would make more sense to just stick with the third party companies they already have agreements with rather than making new ones.
1. If anything, I think Steve and Sephiroth have shown that FP2 had a much larger budget since those characters are far bigger than any character from the first pass.

2. Just because Nintendo has worked with a third party company before doesn't mean that it will be cheaper to work with them. All it does is make it a little easier to communicate to with them. For all we know they might go with an indie character or a smaller third party in general if a lot of the budget did go into Steve and Sephiroth.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, I'm not holding my breath for anything, mostly because the fanbase has usually been bad at predicting the next character revealed.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If anything, I think Steve and Sephiroth have shown that FP2 had a much larger budget since those characters are far bigger than any character from the first pass
Alternatively, instead of spreading the budget among four third-parties, they could've spent it on two bigger ones.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Alternatively, instead of spreading the budget among four third-parties, they could've spent it on two bigger ones.
Yeah. I believe that most of the budget did go into Steve and Sephiroth, so I don't expect any more big name characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Quick, name the cheapest third party company you can think of.
SNK. They found out how to make Mai suitable for good boys and girls, so she'll be the E3 surprise.

nah it'll be metal slug if it's more snk

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if E3 is around the corner, we're down to two characters. Historically, they tend to show the most exciting characters first and the less exciting ones last.

I don't think we're guaranteed someone who can compete with Steve or Sephiroth. It could be a smaller third-party, or even a first-party like last year.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm not expecting a double reveal at E3. But I certainly think it's highly possible the next character, which I assume would be announced there, will be quite popular or known. Not necessarily as big as Steve or Sephiroth but still quite popular.

Off the top of my head, Nintendo, Xbox, Capcom, Konami(?), Warner Bros. Gaming, Take-Two Interactive, and Koch Media. There's also a chance Sony and EA WON'T be there this year.
Not only Sony and EA, but Sega, Ubisoft or Square Enix won't be there as well. Sony isn't surprising as they have been skipping E3 in the last few years, same for Square Enix to an extent because they already announced that their next presentation would take place during summer.

To be fair some of these companies could change their mind, but I'd certainly not expect a lot of changes in that lineup.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Even if E3 is around the corner, we're down to two characters. Historically, they tend to show the most exciting characters first and the less exciting ones last.

I don't think we're guaranteed someone who can compete with Steve or Sephiroth. It could be a smaller third-party, or even a first-party like last year.
But didn't they save Bayonetta's reveal for last in regards to Smash 4's DLC?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh, didn't know that. Gonna go change that, now. :p
Yeah, if I'm thinking of the right game, she will cover herself and yell at you if you bring the camera into an upskirt shot position.

There wasn't an E3 last year.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not only Sony and EA, but Sega, Ubisoft or Square Enix won't be there as well. Sony isn't surprising as they have been skipping E3 in the last few years, same for Square Enix to an extent because they already announced that their next presentation would take place during summer.

To be fair some of these companies could change their mind, but I'd certainly not expect a lot of changes in that lineup.
Wait, I thought Ubisoft was gonna be there. Was that one wrong?

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, I'm not holding my breath for anything, mostly because the fanbase has usually been bad at predicting the next character revealed.
Focusing so much on this aspect does not good speculation make.

Yeah, most characters speculated about don't get in in the end - but focusing so hard around that comes off as being negative without much of a point to the negativity.

Me, I know that my MW will most likely not get in, but that ain't gonna stop me.

Scorpion E3 reveal letsgo :4pacman: .

I honestly do wonder if the full list has been revealed or if some companies will be only revealed "late" so to speak. That could be really interesting even if it's nowhere near connected to Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can I offer you a nice Veemo in this trying time?

no fr, Splatoon’s content is mostly of the first game. Very little 2/Octo Expansion content

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I think more Minecraft deluxe mii costume can be easily added such as Wither skeleton and Piglin but to this day I don’t understand why they have chosen Pig mii costume of all the better options which is not fitting at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom