• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So this should be interesting

There was a problem fetching the tweet

LOOKS fake but if true we’re finally freakin getting a female Robin amiibo

I do have questions tho:
1. Why not jump straight to the pass 2 peeps, at LEAST start with Min Min, Steve and Sephiroth
2. They’re really gonna do the Ultimate versions of characters that didn’t debut in Ultimate? Then again I don’t blame them a lot of Smash 4 amiibo are of... questionable quality

never mind apparently that’s cuz Link and Zelda’s Ultimate designs are different

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I disagree with this almost completely. Remember that Ridley, King K rule, Banjo and to a lesser extent Simon all got in because of fan interest. I think the entire reason they're was so much hype around Geno is that Nintendo was finally adding characters based on fan-demand. I do think popular characters have a much better shot at getting selected. The majority of the non-first partly DLC prove this.
I think the real takeaway is that Nintendo is almost going to add who we're currently thinking of (unless we actually figure out who they're adding, which doesn't count). Like, seriously:
  1. We didn't know who to expect, but it really wasn't Joker.
  2. Hero was leaked, and we were a quarter right in predicting him.
  3. Banjo & Kazooie were actually added when people were thinking about him, but iirc, most people were thinking Steve would win the war (I could be wrong on that. It could also have been a 50/50 split).
  4. Leaked, and people still guessed anyone but Terry. lol
  5. It's Dant-erm...Byleth. Also, Doom Slayer was popular at the time iirc.
  6. We weren't expecting much, but ARMS was nowhere near anyone's minds. Min Min was successfully predicted though (unless you subscribed to "Spibarin" theory).
  7. Steve speculation was all but dead because of Banjo & Kazooie. I think this is about where Crash became a frontrunner in the minds of the majority.
  8. Ryu started making waves here, but the actual fighter was Sephiroth.
  9. Pyra/Mythra slide in just in time to kill Pokémon as a frontrunner.
Point being that they're not necessarily not adding fan picks, it's just not usually who we're currently on. They're not psychics.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I do think popular characters have a much better shot at getting selected. The majority of the non-first partly DLC prove this.
Well let's map it out a bit.

DLC Characters carried by fan demand: :ultbanjokazooie:

Inarguably, Banjo is here because he was highly requested. No new games or anything, this was just a character who had a steady twenty years of heavy fan demand known to both Nintendo and Microsoft. No doubt Banjo performed well on the ballot, too.

Debatable: :ulthero::ultsteve::ultsephiroth:

I'm certain there had always been demand for DQ in Smash overseas, and I know that many people wanted to see Steve with the first wave. The reason they're here in the grey area is that I'm not convinced that was particularly the reason they got added. DQ and Minecraft are big enough where I can't imagine they actually needed people to ask for them to make it, so to say it's explicitly in response to fan demand feels disingenuous.

Sephiroth is here because I saw him place in a couple Japanese polls and I dunno, maybe he had a stronger push over there. Barely any serious discussion over here, most people didn't even bother humoring the possibility.

All three of these characters are VERY popular in their own right, but since your frame of reference was Ridley / K Rool / Banjo I don't believe they qualify. These three characters were longstanding wishes amongst the core Smash community, while these characters are moreso popular to a wide general audience by virtue of being from immensely popular and successful franchises.

The goal here was less to cater to that pool of people requesting the aforementioned characters and moreso reaching people more on a surface level.

Definitely Not: :ultjoker::ult_terry:

These characters saw barely any serious discussion regarding inclusion in Smash and were far detached from the "fan favorite" wishes of the community. You had a few prominent voices in the Smash community vouching for Joker, but not a whole lot who took the idea as anything more than a pipe dream. Half of the people in the community didn't even know who the hell Terry was.

It's not to say any of these characters who I didn't put in the first category are not popular and well loved additions now. Just that many of them weren't seeing any serious conversation until leaks popped up with them in it or they were formally revealed to everyone's surprise. I'm not one of those guys who is gonna say "since [x character] is popular and expected they're definitely not gonna make it", but I'm surprised to hear someone express the sentiment that sheer fan demand makes a character more likely at this point. For the base roster, definitely. Very debatable for DLC, and I don't agree with the idea that "most third parties" reflect this at all.

If you ask me the demand for most community favorites this time around probably came a bit too late to have any significant impact on DLC, so you'd have to hope they've got some other stuff going on or have been requested since like the Ballot.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I do have questions tho:
1. Why not jump straight to the pass 2 peeps, at LEAST start with Min Min, Steve and Sephiroth
2. They’re really gonna do the Ultimate versions of characters that didn’t debut in Ultimate? Then again I don’t blame them a lot of Smash 4 amiibo are of... questionable quality

never mind apparently that’s cuz Link and Zelda’s Ultimate designs are different
The paragraph is throwing me off, It doesn't seem like something that would exist alongside the SKU's on the same page if that makes sense.

I can see them doing extra amiibo before fpass 2 if they come out before the pass ends.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Then again I don’t blame them a lot of Smash 4 amiibo are of... questionable quality
1617664223409.png

I love this image.

When searching for it though, I did see a lot of better Marth Amiibos, so it looks like the reprints were in much better quality.

Looks like you missed Pyra/Mythra. I'd put them in debatable as well. They seem to be more of a happy medium of being requests (though they weren't the biggest ones out there, they did have quite a few fans) and something Nintendo wanted to add anyway.

Pillow

Smash Lord

DLC Characters carried by fan demand: :ultbanjokazooie:

Inarguably, Banjo is here because he was highly requested. No new games or anything, this was just a character who had a steady twenty years of heavy fan demand known to both Nintendo and Microsoft. No doubt Banjo performed well on the ballot, too.

Debatable: :ulthero::ultsteve::ultsephiroth:

I'm certain there had always been demand for DQ in Smash overseas, and I know that many people wanted to see Steve with the first wave. The reason they're here in the grey area is that I'm not convinced that was particularly the reason they got added. DQ and Minecraft are big enough where I can't imagine they actually needed people to ask for them to make it, so to say it's explicitly in response to fan demand feels disingenuous.

Sephiroth is here because I saw him place in a couple Japanese polls and I dunno, maybe he had a stronger push over there. Barely any serious discussion over here, most people didn't even bother humoring the possibility.

All three of these characters are VERY popular in their own right, but since your frame of reference was Ridley / K Rool / Banjo I don't believe they qualify. These three characters were longstanding wishes amongst the core Smash community, while these characters are moreso popular to a wide general audience by virtue of being from immensely popular and successful franchises.

The goal here was less to cater to that pool of people requesting the aforementioned characters and moreso reaching people more on a surface level.

Definitely Not: :ultjoker::ult_terry:

These characters saw barely any serious discussion regarding inclusion in Smash and were far detached from the "fan favorite" wishes of the community. You had a few prominent voices in the Smash community vouching for Joker, but not a whole lot who took the idea as anything more than a pipe dream. Half of the people in the community didn't even know who the hell Terry was.

It's not to say any of these characters who I didn't put in the first category are not popular and well loved additions now. Just that many of them weren't seeing any serious conversation until leaks popped up with them in it or they were formally revealed to everyone's surprise. I'm not one of those guys who is gonna say "since [x character] is popular and expected they're definitely not gonna make it", but I'm surprised to hear someone express the sentiment that sheer fan demand makes a character more likely at this point. For the base roster, definitely. Very debatable for DLC, and I don't agree with the idea that "most third parties" reflect this at all.
To be fair, I think a lot of the sentiment that Nintendo were opting for big fan picks came from the Ultimate base roster and not DLC. Simon, Ridley, and K.Rool were massively requested picks for years before they made it in. With them plus Banjo, I think only Geno and Isaac remain of the "fans have pushed for this since Brawl" camp. It's true that Geno is kind of an irrelevant character, but honestly so was K.Rool and Banjo (to lesser degrees, but still) so I can see why his oldschool fans are still pushing for him after seeing all the other guys make it in.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I do have questions tho:

I'd imagine they're trying to drag out the amiibos to make up for the fact that they're releasing concurrently with FP2. That being said, we'd have eleven amiibos to release in this scenario; Five veteran redesigns/alts, and six FP2 characters. All the waves so far have been only two or three at a time. Even with a hypothetical bonus character (Which is probably not happening) and three each wave, there'd still be one wave released without a fighter.

There's also the thing about the NDA ending on April 21st; Assuming that A: The NDA ends when the amiibo are revealed, and B: The amiibo are revealed with the fighter, they're going to be seriously speeding up those reveals, more than we originally thought. There's also the implication that they'll be revealed all at once. Personally, I think the most reasonable scenarios here are that either A: They're a solo announcement between fighters, or B: The amiibo development got delayed for whatever reason and they're scrambling to get back on schedule. Personally leaning towards the former.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be fair, I think a lot of the sentiment that Nintendo were opting for big fan picks came from the Ultimate base roster and not DLC. Simon, Ridley, and K.Rool were massively requested picks for years before they made it in. With them plus Banjo, I think only Geno and Isaac remain of the "fans have pushed for this since Brawl" camp. It's true that Geno is kind of an irrelevant character, but honestly so was K.Rool and Banjo (to lesser degrees, but still) so I can see why his oldschool fans are still pushing for him after seeing all the other guys make it in.
Yeah I mean, I was personally expecting Geno to appear as DLC until Sephiroth dropped. I understand the sentiment if that's what prompted it, and I don't blame anyone for having pushed for Geno. Just at this point, looking back retrospectively it's clear that yeah, the base game is where a lot of this major hardcore fan catering was regulated to. My point mostly stemmed from the thought that this same logic that explains Ridley, K Rool and Banjo's inclusions don't exactly bode well for Crash and Dante for example.

Looks like you missed Pyra/Mythra. I'd put them in debatable as well. They seem to be more of a happy medium of being requests (though they weren't the biggest ones out there, they did have quite a few fans) and something Nintendo wanted to add anyway.
Oh yeah totally, I just left them out because I was focusing on third parties.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
With them plus Banjo, I think only Geno and Isaac remain of the "fans have pushed for this since Brawl" camp.
I haven't been around in serious speculation that long, but I think at least Lyn and Krystal were pretty popular back in the Brawl days. The only reason we don't hear much about them anymore is the AT status, and any deconfirmation usually sends a character's support base into dormancy. By the time of the next Smash game, we're probably going to see support for them come back, though who knows if it'll finally pay off or not.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I haven't been around in serious speculation that long, but I think at least Lyn and Krystal were pretty popular back in the Brawl days. The only reason we don't hear much about them anymore is the AT status, and any deconfirmation usually sends a character's support base into dormancy. By the time of the next Smash game, we're probably going to see support for them come back, though who knows if it'll finally pay off or not.
I can see Lyn's support resurfacing, although I imagine a lot of that died down not because of her AT role but because of the precedent that the previous FE additions had set. Lyn's time had seemingly passed and most people just (correctly) assumed we'd be getting the hot new thing. Fire Emblem is bigger than ever though and if we see some upheaval of the roster next time around I think Lyn would be a character people begin to gravitate toward, being one of the most popular characters throughout the entire series.

Krystal is a weird one, her support has kind of subsided in the grand scheme of things. She was really popular for Brawl, she was moderately popular during Smash 4 (enough for those Ballot votes to get her a role as an AT, at least) and I recall her popping up in some roster predictions, and she was disconfirmed for Ultimate well before we could see how that would play out. I feel like the excitement around Krystal in general isn't where it used to be though - Star Fox isn't exactly a booming franchise anymore and back during Brawl, Krystal was shaping up to be a major player in a fairly active series.

Although going back to the original statement, I definitely don't believe they would have come close to Geno or Isaac one way or the other. Although for what it's worth, Geno's support died out all but completely during Smash 4 and was revived with his costume... Isaac's stuck around though.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If we're suddenly counting :ultkrool: as a "Brawl era pick" despite the fact that most of the DK speculation was focused on getting :ultdiddy: in first and :ultkrool: didn't become popular until after the game was released, then I'm going to be placing Dixie into that pool too with Geno, Isaac, Krystal, Lyn, etc, especially with the fact that her support was bolstered by the fact that her code was literally found in Brawl and she was the only one of the forbidden seven that Sakurai literally admitted to being planned for the game.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I didn't forget about them exactly, I just think their followings have died down much more than Geno/Isaac's did. Lyn's chances get much worse over time considering the nature of FE games, and Krystal still has a shot though Star Fox is the deadest the franchise has ever been rn. I'm sure they'll both have supporters come next round, but not as much as Geno/Isaac.

7NATOR

Smash Master

I do have questions tho:

If this is real, does this mean we could one day get Female Byleth?

As for what this could imply regarding the Next Character, They usually reveal them in the Sakurai presents right, which would mean that we would have to get a character revealed, and then released sometime in the Next 2 Weeks

I do think that Sakurai has probably already recorded the Sakurai presents for the Next character, and with there being only 2 Fighters left (If we don't count a potential bonus) then It's possible we could get faster reveals since their attention could just be focused on the Next 2 fighters, when previously there were at least 3 or more characters that need the Attention

But I'm not sure about a Release, or even a reveal in April, and I'm not sure this document is real

SKX31

Smash Master
Flashbacks

I'm-a going to tell my kids this was the Mario movie.
I'm just waiting for a Nintendo x Michelin sponsorship so I can write a treatise explaining why the Michelin Man should be in Mario Kart 9 as a playable driver. :4pacman:

Krystal is a weird one, her support has kind of subsided in the grand scheme of things. She was really popular for Brawl, she was moderately popular during Smash 4 (enough for those Ballot votes to get her a role as an AT, at least) and I recall her popping up in some roster predictions, and she was disconfirmed for Ultimate well before we could see how that would play out. I feel like the excitement around Krystal in general isn't where it used to be though - Star Fox isn't exactly a booming franchise anymore and back during Brawl, Krystal was shaping up to be a major player in a fairly active series.
I kinda think that Krystal's decline in popularity comes partly from Nintendo (and Miyamoto) deciding that Command was a bit too much of a stumble and went back to familiar ground with 64 3D. While it's not a deathblow (K. Rool was MIA practically earlier than Krystal), it nevertheless makes it more difficult if Nintendo has shown interest in further releasing games but not really re-introducing her. It's a bit more deleterious in cases like Krystal's - where she's a prominent side character - than said K. Rool or Ridley, who are the main bad guys in their respective franchises. I'm saying this with a bit of an asterisk since it's not entirely going to stop character speculation - but few characters are so connected to a specific game as Geno is to SMRPG.

:ultwolf: was also pretty decently popular character to pick and play in the Brawl days - helped by the fact that he was considered decent at least. And that was also a factor encouraging people to ask for his return. Come Ultimate, and not only was his return celebrated, but he also benefited a lot from the new mechanics + buffs (for the most part). Thus he became one of Ultimate's most popular characters to play regardless of skill level, as evidenced by this 1v1 dataset and the sheer number of notable players using him. Suffice to say, I suspect that he's one major reason why Krystal's not discussed as much as during the Brawl days.

*(Sidenote: Of course, the Star Fox franchise currently suffers from the opposite problem - story stagnation... at least if you're discounting Starlink, and really, that's a guest appearance at the end of the day. It's not to say that story stagnation is the main problem affecting Star Fox, but it's way more noticeable and painful in a setting where one of Wolf's teammates is the guy that betrays James McCloud to begin with.)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If this is real, does this mean we could one day get Female Byleth?

As for what this could imply regarding the Next Character, They usually reveal them in the Sakurai presents right, which would mean that we would have to get a character revealed, and then released sometime in the Next 2 Weeks

I do think that Sakurai has probably already recorded the Sakurai presents for the Next character, and with there being only 2 Fighters left (If we don't count a potential bonus) then It's possible we could get faster reveals since their attention could just be focused on the Next 2 fighters, when previously there were at least 3 or more characters that need the Attention

But I'm not sure about a Release, or even a reveal in April, and I'm not sure this document is real
I am not sure about its validity or how real it is as well. Still, I can imagine some people saying this.

Either way, we'll wait and see what happens, or if someone disconfirms it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Correct me if I’m wrong but was it either the Min Min or Steve presentation that said we would not get P2 amiibo?
Or is there a Mandela effect thing happening and I’m misremembering?

Edit: Also why is Alph mirrored?

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord

I do have questions tho:

It looks very fake, but yeah, i've been saiyng this a lot lately: a character reveal this month is entirely possible. Sephiroth reveal and release: december; Pythra reveal and release: February. It means fighter 10 could be relesed this month to coincide with the amiibos release and fighter 11 at E3.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It looks very fake, but yeah, i've been saiyng this a lot lately: a character reveal this month is entirely possible. Sephiroth reveal and release: december; Pythra reveal and release: February. It means fighter 10 could be relesed this month to coincide with the amiibos release and fighter 11 at E3.
You think an April reveal is actually possible, based on this reasoning?

I am leaning towards fake on the supposed Gamestop document, by the way.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Correct me if I’m wrong but was it either the Min Min or Steve presentation that said we would not get P2 amiibo?
Or is there a Mandela effect thing happening and I’m misremembering?

Edit: Also why is Alph mirrored?
Not sure, but it specified that Hero would only get one amiibo. I think that was Min Min's, actually. Other presentations probably said a similar thing(like how Ganondorf and Zelda are not getting new amiibo. Albeit, only Ganondorf massively stands out as he doesn't have an OOT one either. Zelda still should've had a new one, though). Sheik is slightly updated to the BOTW style, but doesn't look as different as the other two. Young Link had a previous one thanks to MM(and I'm not sure if the one from Link's Awakening counts as Young Link or regular Link in Smash itself).

I wish this was real, though. It'd be cool.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master

I do have questions tho:

The images of the amiibo look crusty, but they seem to be just the fighters' renders, not pictures of the amiibo like they're supposed to. Apparently said NDA ends at 7PM as well and I don't remember Nintendo announcing stuff in the evening like that before. Looks fake to me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So if it is real, then there would be a direct on April 21st?
Probably earlier, actually, as the Sakurai Presents are usually a week or two after the initial reveals (When there's directs, at least). That arguably makes it more unbelievable, as that's extremely early for a reveal. We've only had Pyra and Mythra for about a month; A reveal so soon would be kinda hard to believe.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly think this is fake. Alph’s render being mirrored on the box makes no sense especially since it never happened before.
Honestly? I could see that happening with promotional stuff pretty easily. These kind of mistakes are fairly common in general.

I don't think they'd announce this many amiibo at once, and I do agree it's suspicious. It shouldn't take long to find out if it's real or fake, though.

cothero

Smash Lord
You think an April reveal is actually possible, based on this reasoning?

I am leaning towards fake on the supposed Gamestop document, by the way.
No, i don't think this is real. My suspicion of a reveal this month is based on timing. Steve: October; Sephiroth: December; Pythra: February. Don't you see the two months patern here? Most people believe the next character will be only revealed at E3 and the last one at the end of the year. I believe they pretent to wrap this up soon.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Probably earlier, actually, as the Sakurai Presents are usually a week or two after the initial reveals (When there's directs, at least). That arguably makes it more unbelievable, as that's extremely early for a reveal. We've only had Pyra and Mythra for about a month; A reveal so soon would be kinda hard to believe.
The "document" stated they would be released in the summer and announced on the 21st.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No, i don't think this is real. My suspicion of a reveal this month is based on timing. Steve: October; Sephiroth: December; Pythra: February. Don't you see the two months patern here? Most people believe the next character will be only revealed at E3 and the last one at the end of the year. I believe they pretent to wrap this up soon.
I was talking about the reveal first and separate from the document itself and saying the latter was fake. I could have mistaken something here, but yeah, I was treating the document as separate from a reveal, even if the latter actually happens at E3.

Technomage

Smash Champion
View attachment 310141
I love this image.

When searching for it though, I did see a lot of better Marth Amiibos, so it looks like the reprints were in much better quality.

LOL Wasn't that a meme called "Merth." XD

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah, I agree that Crash is being propped up more than he actually is. He's big, yes, but he's not the end-all be-all with the entire universe smiling down on him. He just seems like any other pretty big character to me. Yeah, yeah, mascot and all, but that's still very much reliant on legacy. He's gone multiplatform nowadays, and it doesn't seem like Activision considers him their mascot like he was for the PlayStation brand. He's not as big as his PS1 glory days anymore. I've seen people saying that Crash has everything going for him, and that they'd be genuinely surprised if he doesn't get added, but I dunno. It doesn't seem to me like he's an extremely special case like everyone makes him out to be.
As much as some fans are sick of hearing about it, But considering the circumstances, You really can't blame Smash fans for leaning towards Crash Bandicoot.

I mean who does the Smash community want us to reconsider as the "Frontrunners" other than the very obvious picks like Crash that we always bring up?

Technically almost anyone can be considered fair game, But that's pretty much a major crapshoot in a sea of major 3rd party characters and companies.

Do I place my bets on an easy/common choice like Crash Bandicoot or a lesser 3rd party character or one with a lot more red tape to break up the frontrunners just because I'm sick of hearing about them.

I'm not saying Crash Bandicoot is a "Lock", But I and a lot of Smash fans still just really like his chances.

That's just the way I see the situation personally.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The "document" stated they would be released in the summer and announced on the 21st.
Yeah, but the announcements are usually in the Sakurai Presents, not the actual Directs. The sole exception was with Banjo, who had already been revealed at E3 beforehand and was just waiting for a release date. Going off of that, the Direct would be before the 21st, not on it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Patterns tend to for the most part to eventually break. Don't be surprise if this is another one bound to happen.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
As much as some fans are sick of hearing about it, But considering the circumstances, You really can't blame Smash fans for leaning towards Crash Bandicoot.

I mean who does the Smash community want us to reconsider as the "Frontrunners" other than the very obvious picks like Crash that we always bring up?

Technically almost anyone can be considered fair game, But that's pretty much a major crapshoot in a sea of major 3rd party characters and companies.

Do I place my bets on an easy/common choice like Crash Bandicoot or a lesser 3rd party character or one with a lot more red tape to break up the frontrunners just because I'm sick of hearing about them.

I'm not saying Crash Bandicoot is a "Lock", But I and a lot of Smash fans just really like his chances.

Nothing is a lock for sure, and even with any evidence for Crash, I would say to temper expectations to people. Sure, that doesn't go usually well, but other than that, some people can't seem to help it and talk about it, to the point that it even annoys others as you said about people being sick of hearing it. Whether Crash is in or not, things are going to get messy and chaotic either way.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'm not saying Crash Bandicoot is a "Lock", But I and a lot of Smash fans still just really like his chances.

Honestly? At this point, you might as well just throw darts and stick to your niche most-wanteds just as much as the easy picks, because Smash just keeps throwing curveballs. Even when we actually predict someone, there's always a surprise twist we didn't anticipate. If anyone's confident in Crash, power to you, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got the carpet pulled out from under him just like the Hunters and Hayabusa.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Oooh, I hope those rumors about the Smash announcements speeding up are true... :smash:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom