• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
As there are now 2 posts talking about Puyo Puyo I am once again asking how the **** you make the Puyos work in the context of Smash because I want to know how cool it'd be but I don't see it happening
Well... that depends on who you ask. I've seen some propose them as a sort of hybrid projectile/trap that triggers if Arle matches four of the same color, for example.

In this case, she'd probably have a set drop order for them and a "Next" window near her icon, like you see in Puyo games.
Hmmm....

Now that's an absurdly difficult aspect. Something like this perhaps:

1. Puyos come down in two, out of three different colors for clarity in front of Arle. Once the first pair is set down other pairs will fall within a "grid" of the first pair, with "walls" making sure they can't be placed too far away from the first pair.
2. Making sure that four of the same colors connect produces an AoE "explosion".
3. Comboing the different colors increases the AoE, the damage and the knockback.

It would be difficult to pull off outside of ledge trap situations - one way to partially solve that is to let the player choose when to let the next pair fall down.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Stage control seemed like a too obvious answer but I have to admit, traps sound good. Though my issue is how Puyo isn't about stacking rows, but setting up chain combos, which is why it feels impossible to make it work, there's only so much space on the stage that Puyos should be able to take up
Hmm...
Here's a suggestion: Arle creates Puyos that follow behind her like Olimar's Pikmin. She can pop the with her smash attacks, with the number increasing with the charge. She can create up to four Puyos. Maybe make it so that she gets a power multiplier as she chains together smashes and is normally weak, but that might make her a little unbalanced.

Granted, I'm not very knowledgeable on Puyo Puyo, so it might not be very accurate.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Judging by literally every other DLC stage, no
God I hate how picky the competitive community is. They hate anything that’s not flat. They hate Lylat cruise because you can fly through the stage sometimes. You know what other stage that can happen in? POKÉMON STADIUM 2 GUESS THAT STAGE SHOULD BE BANNED HUH?????

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
ngl I think Arle's Smash moveset would mostly revolve around the elemental magic spells that she can do in canon but we the player tend to not see. But hey after Steve anything's possible!
That's the thing though, it'd work, it'd fit Arle and her original home series, but it wouldn't fit her most wellknown appearances, the games people actually know her from as nobody knows what a Madou Monogatari is

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hmmm....

1. Puyos come down in two, out of three different colors for clarity in front of Arle. Once the first pair is set down other pairs will fall within a "grid" of the first pair, with "walls" making sure they can't be placed too far away from the first pair.
2. Making sure that four of the same colors connect produces an AoE "explosion".
3. Comboing the different colors increases the AoE, the damage and the knockback.

It would be difficult to pull off outside of ledge trap situations - one way to solve that is to let the player choose when to let the next pair fall down.
Or possibly set up multiple traps at once, kinda like the way you set up rows of Puyos so they'll fall into position.

The only concern is making the Puyo sizes appropriate and preventing them from staying too long in the field.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
God I hate how picky the competitive community is. They hate anything that’s not flat. They hate Lylat cruise because you can fly through the stage sometimes. You know what other stage that can happen in? POKÉMON STADIUM 2 GUESS THAT STAGE SHOULD BE BANNED HUH?????
They'll say "bro ps2 is a neutral stage bro" nah shut up small battlefield exists now. Gramps is legal

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I guess nobody knows about my Hosoyamada question then

the world may never know I guess

Hmmm....

It would be difficult to pull off outside of ledge trap situations - one way to partially solve that is to let the player choose when to let the next pair fall down.
Id do something like this, but I'd make it so attacks give you consistent colors.

It would be less of a hassle setting things up. You lose a bit of accuracy to the series, but it seems more manageable in motion.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean both Lylat and PS2 are legal stages though.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
That's the thing though, it'd work, it'd fit Arle and her original home series, but it wouldn't fit her most wellknown appearances, the games people actually know her from as nobody knows what a Madou Monogatari is
Maybe have her use Puyos for her smash attacks? Like, forward could be 1x4 horizontal, while up and down could be 2x2s? That’s what I’ve been thinking.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wish PS2 would be replaced with Small Battlefield. Not for any gameplay reasons. I just want more music.
But no ps2 means Silent Hill 2 wouldn't exist
Maybe have her use Puyos for her smash attacks? Like, forward could be 1x4 horizontal, while up and down could be 2x2s? That’s what I’ve been thinking.
You mean like how Mega Man's forward smash gets more range when charged? I suppose if you make the smash attack fast but pathetically weak when uncharged that'd let you lay out many Puyos to set up for chains if given the free space.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It's NC is legal in france.
Our reasoning? Jfc, stop being ****ing babies when we deal with normal DF and we had to deal with Smash 4 DF
I don't find Ultimate DF to be that bad, though Smash 4 looks bad. I've never played 4, so I'm unsure on that one.
(Side note: In French, FD is called "Desination Finale", in case DF was confusing anyone)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is the last time I ever use a homonym!
From now on my address will be different!
....wait...
Þ confirmed to move to Brazil for competitive Smash slander.

Btw in terms of REAL fighting game news, that Roundtable thing's in a few hours and the final Guilty Gear Strive base character leaked, yet another example of why Sol should be in Smash

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
What are everyone's thoughts on that 4chan concert "leak"
I already don't believe in 4chan list leaks, to begin with. I don't really see Nintendo putting a Smash concert together like that especially streaming it on youtube when they don't even upload their music on say Spotify and have taken down youtube uploads.

Then there is the fact that Crash 4 wasn't even mentioned in the direct and was announced a week or two prior to it and is a late port, to begin with. I get the feeling that Crash wasn't on Nintendo's list to begin with.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Hey quick question

y’all know Hosoyamada, the producer of Puyo Puyo

was he involved in XC2 or ARMS in any way? I’m thinking back to how he retweeted what would be Byleth’s presentation in which pass 2 was revealed and Arle has yet to appear, playable or Mii or even Spirit Event
While I suppose it's not impossible, he's been a member of Sonic Team since at least Sonic Adventure DX in 2003, so I doubt it

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What are everyone's thoughts on that 4chan concert "leak"
If it came before Sephiroth, I'd consider it worth checking out. For now, though, it just seems lucky.

It's also funny because it's supposed to have a song for every character, but they left out Ken. I think this is the first time in Ultimate history that we can prove a leak is fake because it doesn't have Ken.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Þ confirmed to move to Brazil for competitive Smash slander.

Btw in terms of REAL fighting game news, that Roundtable thing's in a few hours and the final Guilty Gear Strive base character leaked, yet another example of why Sol should be in Smash
Me rn:

On a more serious note. I’d be down for any new series fighting game character.
Scorpion, Sol Bad Guy, Amingo, Heihachi, Nightmare. I’d be over the moon for any of these guys. Of course I’ll have to eat a hat if they do get in. But that won’t stop me from wanting them.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Hey quick question

y’all know Hosoyamada, the producer of Puyo Puyo

was he involved in XC2 or ARMS in any way? I’m thinking back to how he retweeted what would be Byleth’s presentation in which pass 2 was revealed and Arle has yet to appear, playable or Mii or even Spirit Event
Nope, he is just a Sega employee who was looking forward to Sakurai's presentation.

If it came before Sephiroth, I'd consider it worth checking out. For now, though, it just seems lucky.

It's also funny because it's supposed to have a song for every character, but they left out Ken. I think this is the first time in Ultimate history that we can prove a leak is fake because it doesn't have Ken.
Regardless if it's real or fake, a simple explanation is that the poster just forgot about it since they did have to type in at least the names of 80+ songs.

Last edited:

Smash Monkey

Banned via Warnings
At the end of Byleth’s presentation, Sakurai said something along the lines of, “We’re going to continue bringing DLC content down the line. I thought that maybe 1 or 2 might suffice, but...well...” and then 6 additional packs were revealed.

It’s highly likely this is just him saying “surprise! 6 more!” But I think it’s highly plausible that there were originally going to just be a few extras (In my humble opinion, I think it was Steve and Sephiroth at least), but then decided to make it into something more. This allowed them to revisit ARMS and XC2.

I’m probably wrong though. All I’d say is that 3rd parties seem all over the place, while First parties have been consistent with being emblematic of Switch first party software that previously had minimal content or no playable character to directly represent it.

Mii Costumes will dictate quite a bit going forward, I think. If, for example, we get a KOS-MOS Mii with Pyra/Mythra, but don’t get Lloyd...I think that is suspicious enough to suggest he might be coming later. Granted, I expect him to be there personally.

Monster Hunter is also interesting here. If it’s not here with Pyra/Mythra, then it suggests two scenarios: one in which is becomes playable, and one in which a related genre/series from IP holder (Capcom) is the playable pick.

It’s always fun to have implications from a Mii costume reveal in one of these presentations, I’m plenty excited to play the Xeno-gals, but I must admit...with two characters left this has the potential to shake things up.
It's interesting. You're like only the second person I've seen make that point (other being an anon on 4Chan). I think you're right. It's not a coincidence that the two third parties in FP2 were from companies that got characters in FP1. There is enough info that these characters were picked pretty far out. My guess is Nintendo got some agreements from these companies for characters so they could have more DLC and just add the Nintendo stuff to fill out a pass. Really seems that way with Pyra being the new character on the block. It's still a good point and one people should consider more.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's a possibility assuming the leak is real whoever shown this leak might have forgotten to list Ken's song.

Just a thought. Still leaning towards fake never the less.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It's a possibility assuming the leak is real whoever shown this leak might have forgotten to list Ken's song.

Just a thought. Still leaning towards fake never the less.
I hope it's real simply because of the characters it implies.
Crash is my absolutely most wanted, and Monster Hunter is up there.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I've got a lot of things to say about Smash 4.

Final Destination causing me early eye degradation is 100% one of them. Who thought the background suddenly becoming pure white was a good idea?
wdym? I always liked Smash 4 Final Destination. I don't know what you mean by eye degradation

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
wdym? I always liked Smash 4 Final Destination.
The background turning pure white after your eyes adjusting to the relative darkness that the space backdrop had

Let's just say it's not very pleasant to look at. Visually stunning? Absolutely, but it's extremely jarring when you're trying to focus on a battle due to how bright it is.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
this is what they mean.
View attachment 304315
The background turning pure white after your eyes adjusting to the relative darkness that the space backdrop had

Let's just say it's not very pleasant to look at. Visually stunning? Absolutely, but it's extremely jarring when you're trying to focus on a battle due to how bright it is.
I guess maybe it isn't as bright on the gamepad? I always had to use the gamepad as the TV was usually occupied

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
This Pic of the Day is really rad, those creatures from Ganon are pretty bad!

Happy Anniversary to the first Legend of Zelda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom