• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Þ confirmed to move to Brazil for competitive Smash slander.

Btw in terms of REAL fighting game news, that Roundtable thing's in a few hours and the final Guilty Gear Strive base character leaked, yet another example of why Sol should be in Smash
It’s Not who I wanted, but this is good too

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I just got the True Ending of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and now I declare myself the #2 Miriam supporter for Smash after Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen . The game is so, so good. It's basically Castlevania but without the name. The soundtrack slaps.

Also, this song would be perfect for a Miriam Smash reveal. It's great:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just got the True Ending of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and now I declare myself the #2 Miriam supporter for Smash after Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen . The game is so, so good. It's basically Castlevania but without the name. The soundtrack slaps.

Bloodstained was the first game in recent years where I really sunk all my time into it. This is what solidified metroidvanias in my interests. Heck, I even made a DLC pack for it.
It... Could use some work, in hindsight. Some of the ideas presented there are a bit shaky. Granted, it was my first major project, so...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Unless Gramps takes flight at any point the clouds will most likely still be there. If what we saw is what we get, then the hazards off changes would likely just be that Gramps doesn't move his head.
I always wanted an option to turn buoyancy off. It's definitely possible, as many Spirit Battles deactivate water.
It would make Jungle Japes and Pirate Ship better stages.

Pillow

Smash Lord

I’d support Miriam, but only after Alucard becomes playable. It’d feel wrong if she got in before him, as his game was the clear inspiration for hers (and was created by the same guy).

If I’m allowed to voice criticism for the game, I’d say I wish it used sprite art instead because I found the 3D look to be kinda of cheap looking and ugly. Gameplay was perfect though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Now play Zangetsu and Bloodless modes

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I always wanted an option to turn buoyancy off. It's definitely possible, as many Spirit Battles deactivate water.
Spirit events that disable buoyancy just make you drown nearly instantly, don’t they, IIRC? It’d make for a super volatile stage since the blast zone would essentially be right below the stage’s ledge. I’d kinda like to see that; it could be a silly casual mode.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Spirit events that disable buoyancy just make you drown nearly instantly, don’t they, IIRC? It’d make for a super volatile stage since the blast zone would essentially be right below the stage’s ledge. I’d kinda like to see that; it could be a silly casual mode.
No. It just ignores the water as if it were just falling.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd personally find it pretty jarring, but I can't really say no to more options.

---​

I think it would be cool if they added an underwater stage that uses Mega Man water physics (higher jump, but that's about it) or gives everyone infinite jumps (because they can swim) or something.

The characters that take damage in water get some visual changes. For example, Sonic wears a life jacket, and Charizard has a protective glass bowl over its tail flame.

Shroob

Sup?
Lowkey, I had no ****ing idea that P/M's reveal trailer was, well, a reveal trailer. I saw the "Not actual gameplay footage" sure, but at the same time, we saw that at the end of the Direct as well, and it wasn't Smash.

I dunno what it was, just, the way they presented the trailer, up until I saw Final Destination, REALLY convinced me it was a DLC for XB2 or a sequel lol.

That, and, I guess I just wasn't expecting them to open with Smash for some reason. :drshrug:

MMXZero

Smash Rookie
Come on bruh, you really telling me this company couldn't care enough to do basic research on an incredibly popular IP which also holds popularity in Japan with Odyssey having a Japan exclusive Switch port and that Ubisoft wouldn't go "Surely you'd want Ezio, our most popular AC character?" Odyssey was expected to hit the big time in Japan and ended up hitting it high on the charts, second only to Super Mario Party on launch week?
Honestly? Yeah. My personal opinion regarding Mii costumes are essentially the characters Nintendo don't care to have as playable characters, but have a lot of fan support. It's a cheap way to have those franchises represented while checking off a proverbial check box to appease fans of that series.

I also don't think Ubisoft would care either since they have a tendency to label everything as "iconic" in their marketing to the point of meme status.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

Speaking of spiritual successors to classic action platformers, have any of y'all ever played The Messenger? It’s a platformer/metroidvania styled after Ninja Gaiden. High key, it’s one of the best platformers I’ve ever played. I probably enjoyed it more than any Ninja Gaiden game, and I might even say it’s my absolute favorite metroidvania.

Here's a track from it that would be perfect for Smash:

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Lowkey, I had no ****ing idea that P/M's reveal trailer was, well, a reveal trailer. I saw the "Not actual gameplay footage" sure, but at the same time, we saw that at the end of the Direct as well, and it wasn't Smash.

I dunno what it was, just, the way they presented the trailer, up until I saw Final Destination, REALLY convinced me it was a DLC for XB2 or a sequel lol.

That, and, I guess I just wasn't expecting them to open with Smash for some reason. :drshrug:
I had my doubts from the start that it was a sequel/DLC expansion because it was using the exact same assets and it's been three years since the game released, so it would've been a bit odd to announce new content for it IMO. That, and they didn't bother to have voice acting for most of the characters.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I had my doubts from the start that it was a sequel/DLC expansion because it was using the exact same assets and it's been three years since the game released, so it would've been a bit odd to announce new content for it IMO. That, and they didn't bother to have voice acting for most of the characters.
Same. I knew it was Smash because it was Xenoblade 2, and it already got an expansion. Would be about like announcing Mario Odyssey DLC this late (Which I wouldn't object to, though. Mario is my favorite.).

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Steve and Sephiroth were the extra 1-2 Fighters Sakurai was talking about if there was Extra DLC, then that does bring some stuff to question

-Ryu Hayabusa. We know Koei talked to Nintendo sometime before the launch of the game, because of the Fatal Frame Spirits and Assist. We also know that FP1 was decided sometime in less than a year since the Development team did not know about DLC until sometime around or after Janurary of 2018. It does bring into question why Ryu was not in FP1, with all the rumors and stuff

-Capcom and Namco. Why they have not gotten a Fighter so far. It's possible both these companies could still be represented in FP1, but it does beg the question

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I was watching Joel livestream it on my phone off to the side of my nightstand while the TV was on, so I actually feel mildly justified in not realizing it was a Smash trailer until I saw the shot where Rex ran up to her.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Reminded me of what they did with Joker's reveal at the 2018 TGAs.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

I had the opposite reaction. When Rex said Pyra was missing, my immediate thought was "Because she went to Smash". And then I couldn't help shake the feeling that my inclination was right. And then I saw FD. What surprised me was that Rex wouldn't be joining her (sans the final smash and at least one of the taunts, of course)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Random thought:
If Rayman ever becomes a playable fighter (I'm 90% convinced he's either a Fighter or Deluxe Mii Brawler), I hope that his "gimmick" is that his aerial moves stop all momentum as they come out so he stays in place(imagine Jigglypuff's Pound). That's how Rayman's aerial moves work in Rayman Legends. That would make him the king of aerial combat, which would be fitting for a Platforming mascot.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Reminded me of what they did with Joker's reveal at the 2018 TGAs.
Speaking of that, did anyone else immediately know it was Joker in Smash then? I didn't know anything "going ons," with Persona, and never paid much attention to it, so I didn't really expect there to be any other types of announcements. Also, something about the dialogue tipped me off early on, like it felt to obviously hinting at Smash.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As soon as I see “not actual gameplay” I know what it is. It’s just a matter of me figuring out who as fast as I can. I figured out Pyra pretty freaking fast. And then when Mythra didn’t show up when he was asking for her I was like “oh ****”.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Random thought:
If Rayman ever becomes a playable fighter (I'm 90% convinced he's either a Fighter or Deluxe Mii Brawler), I hope that his "gimmick" is that his aerial moves stop all momentum as they come out so he stays in place(imagine Jigglypuff's Pound). That's how Rayman's aerial moves work in Rayman Legends. That would make him the king of aerial combat, which would be fitting for a Platforming mascot.
That's a cool concept! Would make landing tough for him, though. Just give him Wolf's airspeed and he's good to go.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Not actual gameplay footage" didn't make me think of Smash. It made me think of Xenoblade DLC in general. Smash was the awesome surprise at it. We see tons of trailers for DLC, not just Smash, so it's not where my mind went.

Very pleasant surprise indeed~ And the first thing no less.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Random thought:
I should note that this isn't a complete halt in momentum. You can still move while attacking and can't stall indefinitely by attacking.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm glad it was for Smash though because I had a frame 1 reaction to seeing the Cloud Sea and immediately became a hot mess and started praying for that invite to show up while watching lol.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
That's a cool concept! Would make landing tough for him, though. Just give him Wolf's airspeed and he's good to go.
If it's anything like Rayman Legends, only the first aerial move would stop his momentum. Any subsequent moves would still come out, but as he's falling. IE, he can't abuse aerial moves to float forever. He'd likely also be able to slow his falling with his hair spin, as that's his primary platforming gimmick.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Random thought:
I think that's a great idea! Rayman Legends has very floaty gameplay in general, so I always pictured him as another slow falling lightweight. Also can I just say his playstyle in Legends literally feels like it was ripped straight from a Smash game. He would translate to Smash so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom