• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, the fact that the PotD is no longer the... PotD makes me believe Fighter's Pass 2 really is the end.

It shows they are winding down development.
Either that or Sakurai is just tired of seeing requests for Waluigi, Sora, Goku and Shrek after every post on a daily basis. :p

(I agree with you though, before anyone rides with my joke)

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Honestly, the fact that the PotD is no longer the... PotD makes me believe Fighter's Pass 2 really is the end.

Man, I figured. Sakurai deserves the rest afterwards, but...I wish we could've gotten more fighters.

what is... PotD?
Picture of the Day.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If there was even a mumbling of an Undertale character being sought after, I think they would've held the Sans costume hostage just in case. I may have given it a pass under different circumstances (new game, etc.), but he was randomly released with Banjo, no rhyme or reason.

It's still a possibility, but I don't think it was sheer luck that kept Chicobo and Geno in the vault until Sephiroth was revealed.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Either that or Sakurai is just tired of seeing requests for Waluigi, Sora, Goku and Shrek after every post on a daily basis. :p

(I agree with you though, before anyone rides with my joke)
I got to ask, does Shrek still get that many requests? I thought it died down a whole lot, even if Shrek is still memeable

Shroob

Sup?
There's no use trying to convince people one way or another that FP2 is the end of the DLC, because you'll always have people who claim that:

"Sakurai is unpredictable"
"Sakurai lies"
"It'd be foolish for them to stop because it prints money"
"There's evidence to suggest a FP3"

At this point, Sakurai could literally walk to everyone's doorstep and say "FP2 is it that's all" and people would still think "Haha, oh Sakurai you clever dog you with the ol' misdirection!"

He's said "FP2 is the end", and we should theoretically act as it is, but not everyone will. Yes, plans can absolutely change, and if a FP3 happens, then by all means, cool, but at this moment in time, I'm not betting on one simply because the man said "No further plans after FP2." Sure, plans can indeed change, but why assume that they have?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Let us have a bit of fun. Make a tier list representing your favorite DLC fighters thus far! Not in terms of competitive viability, simply how much you like the fighters and their inclusions.
I'll just rank them.
1. :ulthero3:
2. :ult_terry:
3. :ultsephiroth:
4. :ultminmin
5. :ultjoker:
6. :ultbanjokazooie:
7. :ultsteve:
8. :ultbyleth:
9. :ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Will also say, if this pass really is just "Stuff left over from negotiations", like we've assumed due to Steve, Sephiroth, and maybe even Chun Li and Tales of in accordance to the leak, then for all intents and purposes, we'll have all the 3DS/WiiU mii costumes back by the time of FP11's release.

I'm not saying that they can't release more characters with more, original Mii costumes, but the way they split them kinda tells me that 2 waves of DLC was always in the cards, and they rationed the content each would bring between them somewhat early on. No, judging potential future DLC via Mii costumes is not an amazing way to determine things, but it does seem kinda obvious that their plan from the start was always 2 waves of DLC.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
There's no use trying to convince people one way or another that FP2 is the end of the DLC, because you'll always have people who claim that:

"Sakurai is unpredictable"
"Sakurai lies"
"It'd be foolish for them to stop because it prints money"
"There's evidence to suggest a FP3"

At this point, Sakurai could literally walk to everyone's doorstep and say "FP2 is it that's all" and people would still think "Haha, oh Sakurai you clever dog you with the ol' misdirection!"

He's said "FP2 is the end", and we should theoretically act as it is, but not everyone will. Yes, plans can absolutely change, and if a FP3 happens, then by all means, cool, but at this moment in time, I'm not betting on one simply because the man said "No further plans after FP2." Sure, plans can indeed change, but why assume that they have?
This is me, except that after two years people still aren't convinced Nintendo is picking the DLC characters instead of Sakurai. Like... he's said it a good twenty times by now...
  • "Well actually Sakurai is picking from a list!"
No... there's not a single thing he's said that implies a list in any form. He's talked about Nintendo requesting specific characters and deciding if he can make them playable or not. That's not picking from a list, that's just deciding if he can make a character at all.
  • "But Sakurai really likes Persona and Dragon Quest and SNK and Minecraft!"
He clearly likes a lot of different games people, that's why he's such a perfect fit for Smash. He's said that his preferences don't play a role in what characters are chosen and that Nintendo holds most of the power over that now.
  • "Well, he's just lying!"
Why? He had no issues saying he was the one behind the decisions for every game before this, and Ultimate's base roster. He has literally zero reason to lie about this.

And yet every day I still see people bringing up Sakurai picking characters from lists and it's just

death.gif

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
This is me, except that after two years people still aren't convinced Nintendo is picking the DLC characters instead of Sakurai. Like... he's said it a good twenty times by now...
  • "Well actually Sakurai is picking from a list!"
No... there's not a single thing he's said that implies a list in any form. He's talked about Nintendo requesting specific characters and deciding if he can make them playable or not. That's not picking from a list, that's just deciding if he can make a character at all.
  • "But Sakurai really likes Persona and Dragon Quest and SNK and Minecraft!"
He clearly likes a lot of different games people, that's why he's such a perfect fit for Smash. He's said that his preferences don't play a role in what characters are chosen and that Nintendo holds most of the power over that now.
  • "Well, he's just lying!"
Why? He had no issues saying he was the one behind the decisions for every game before this, and Ultimate's base roster. He has literally zero reason to lie about this.

And yet every day I still see people bringing up Sakurai picking characters from lists and it's just

View attachment 297295
I feel like the whole "List" argument gets completely blown away by Sakurai's own Minecraft presentation where he admits he was approached to include Steve, but ya know people think what they want.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Man, why can't blatantly fake leaks ever talk about unexpected characters (like Chosen Undead, Sakura Shinguji, or-God forbid-Crazy ****ing Dave)?
all the three characters in that leak aren't talked about that much (sol is kinda common but there's never anything for Shadow and Steve.)

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
DLC ranks

S Tier:

:ultbanjokazooie: He actually ended up becoming my new main
:ultsephiroth:Funny enough, I had little to no excitement for Cloud as his inclusion felt off, but this inclusion really made Final Fantasy’s representation feel complete

A Tier:

:ultsteve: During the Banjo vs Steve discussions I came to see Steve as a great choice and then boom! He just shows up! He has a great move set too. I just wished his design was a bit more Smashified like the rest of the cast. Makes him feel out of place.

B Tier

:ulthero: The lack of remixes or orchestrated music really hurt this character for me as the best part of Dragon Quest is the music. The alts were very neat and the moveset grew on me.

C Tier

:ultbyleth: This was such a bland pick. I get the argument that each Fire Emblem game is basically a new cast of characters which is why this series gets so much representation in the way of playable fighters and Three Houses was a moderately successful game, and immensely popular within its fan base. The moveset is cool too. Byleth just makes sense and is a good pick to give Switch-era Nintendo some love. Don’t buy the hate.

:ultminmin Copy and paste from Byleth, except she has one of the most obnoxious and awkward movesets

D-Tier

:ult_terry: Feels off to be in this Nintendo all-star fighter and gave me the least amount of hype for any character. He’s just such a charming character and it is cool to see him seek out a fight with Ryu and Ken even in a Nintendo fighting crossover game

:ultjoker: Same as Terry, except I don’t care for his moveset.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
How would you guys feel if this was the remaining roster? The remaining Fighters in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and a smaller Fighters Pass Vol. 3. Four more Fighters after Vol. 2 would make the CSS a full rectangle again.
Personally, I'd be ecstatic with this lineup. No Doomguy is a bummer, but all in all, Smash's roster would still go from an 11/10 to a 12/10, lol.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's pretty commonly believed that fighters are developed by three groups, right? If that's true, here's what the groups have worked on.

Group 1: Joker, Terry, Steve, FP10
Group 2: Hero, Byleth, Sephiroth, FP11
Group 3: Banjo, Min Min, FP9

I can't see any pattern with group 1, but I can see that Group 2 does swordfighters and Group 3 does mechanically simple characters. If these hold, then we might have an idea of what FP9 and 11 look like.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
How would you guys feel if this was the remaining roster? The remaining Fighters in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and a smaller Fighters Pass Vol. 3. Four more Fighters after Vol. 2 would make the CSS a full rectangle again.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic with this lineup. No Doomguy is a bummer, but all in all, Smash's roster would still go from an 11/10 to a 12/10, lol.
Sad about no Phoenix Wright. But Gordon Freeman is actually an amazing pick. Chrono is cool, a classic and he could have a great moveset. Dr Robotnik would more or less snag our lineup of must have villains so I’d be ecstatic that he was part of our roster. Master Chiefs iconicity would be a massive moment for gaming as hes the xbox guy. Neutral on the rest.

It's pretty commonly believed that fighters are developed by three groups, right? If that's true, here's what the groups have worked on.

I can't see any pattern with group 1, but I can see that Group 2 does swordfighters and Group 3 does mechanically simple characters. If these hold, then we might have an idea of what FP9 and 11 look like.
Where did we get the group thing from? I’m out of the loop here.

Shroob

Sup?

....isn't the "Group" thing more of a "They don't work on one fighter at a time" deal? As in "They work on 2-3 fighters at once". Can't say I've ever heard such a thing before, nor would we even know that to be the case if they did or not.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Group 1 seems to be the More complex characters

Though honestly despite him having alot of Sword normals that seemed based of Other Characters, I would argue that Hero is also among the most complex characters

With that being said, Joker was probably intensive because of Arsene, not just because of balancing, but the fact they had to Animate Arsene along with Joker, pretty much like animating 2 Characters at once

Terry re-uses mechanics from Ryu and Ken, though the fact he has 5 Specials, that dodge attack, and the Super Moves, and even a charge attack, he seems Pretty Complex. No need to explain Steve

Also is Min-Min considered mechanically simple? I thought she was somewhat complex to make and Balance.

Shroob

Sup?
One thing I find interesting about the Chun Leak, or whatever you wanna call it is Namco's scenario with their Mii costumes.

For all intents and purposes, it 'does' seem pretty bad since Namco's been handing out its costumes now in FP2(Oddly missing in FP1), and one would assume that this spells death, since for what we know, a company's costumes SHOULD come with the character, happened with Joker, happened with Sephiroth, and could very well happen if we get a Capcom character next with the Monster Hunter costumes.

But, until we see Lloyd's costume, well, no body, no crime. Logic dictates that this is bad news for a Tales of rep, but then you look at how Hero/Sephiroth worked and for all we know, Tales of could very well just get its own entire wave dedicated to itself, Lloyd included.

I guess Namco getting its costumes back with each pass doesn't worry me in the slightest. If Lloyd shows up without a Tales of character, then it's dead 100%, but no Lloyd, no bust.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Sakurai said 2 years ago (shortly after Joker was announced) that they were working on Joker, CP2 (Hero) and CP3 (Banjo-Kazooie) at the same time. Each fighter can take a full development of 6-12 months.
Ah, thanks. Though, isn’t that direct evidence that these “Groups” are just the upcoming and the next 2 CPs?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

I'm willing to bet that "Most" people would be very happy with that list, I know I would be cause it has my most wanted in Crash Bandicoot and Master Chief.

But also because it's very diverse and has a little bit of everything that pleases almost each fan demographic.

Platform Mascot, Gunners, JRPG Swordsman, Hack n Slashers and Mech Boss.

It's pretty balanced list of fighters for the most part.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Yes, but its just a theory, we don’t know how smash team is organized with DLC development and if they reduced their staff for FP2.
I guess, though I really don’t see the whole theory as very helpful. Aside from it being nigh impossible to prove, its also not entirely helpful as anyone can BS a complex or a simple moveset for any character. Though I guess it can help decide the kind of moveset to look forward too.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
....isn't the "Group" thing more of a "They don't work on one fighter at a time" deal? As in "They work on 2-3 fighters at once". Can't say I've ever heard such a thing before, nor would we even know that to be the case if they did or not.
I don't know if the group thing has any basis but we know from the datamines that Plant, Joker, and Hero all had data in the game at launch, so this idea of them working on 3 characters at once has some ground to stand on. You could argue stuff has changed for Pass 2 but we really can't have a clear idea if the release schedule would have been longer regardless or the longer gaps between characters was specifically because of Covid and nothing else.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Those are all 10/10 picks right there, would be fantastic.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't know if the group thing has any basis but we know from the datamines that Plant, Joker, and Hero all had data in the game at launch, so this idea of them working on 3 characters at once has some ground to stand on. You could argue stuff has changed for Pass 2 but we really can't have a clear idea if the release schedule would have been longer regardless or the longer gaps between characters was specifically because of Covid and nothing else.
I mean, I think them working on multiple characters at once is pretty obvious, lol. It's the "Each character is handled by a specific group" part I don't buy.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yes, but its just a theory, we don’t know how smash team is organized with DLC development and if they reduced their staff for FP2.
Well looking into it

With Plant, we got all 5 Characters in FP1 released in the Span of the year, and we also got Plant released. So that's 6 Characters released in only a Span of a year

However with FP2, we only got around 3-4 Fighters this time, 4 if you want to start with Byleth. So I would say that Production has slowed down. though the Pandemic did throw a Wrench into things, but I think even without the pandemic, we would have gotten the same amount of Fighters

I do think that if might still be in groups of 3, it's just that there are less people in total in each group.

Now with that being said, If this group thing is still a thing, I don't know what happens once the people who worked on Min-Min finish CP9. I guess it's either they go ahead and help finish production on CP10 or CP11, or perhaps they are just let go.

The other thing I have to say is that I characters require different processes, Including Animation, Modeling, Renders, Composition, Stages, Programming, Balancing, Voice Acting, And Different people specalize in each

Like the people that Animated Min-Min, Once they finish animating so people can program her in, I don't think they just stop there and go take a Break, I assume they get to work with whoever FP9 is, so in that case the process should be faster. As they get close to completion, I Imagine it might get faster to complete the characters since there isn't as much stuff they got to do, or Characters to work on. that or people exit the development team, which goes well with Nintendo since they could stop paying those people, but yes

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I'd be pretty content, I like most of these characters, I love a few of them, The Only character on here that I actively dislike is Crono because he has less personality than a Dragon Quest hero and is just pretty boring in move set potential, although the Music and Stage would be cool so I'd still get his pack.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well looking into it

With Plant, we got all 5 Characters in FP1 released in the Span of the year, and we also got Plant released. So that's 6 Characters released in only a Span of a year

However with FP2, we only got around 3-4 Fighters this time, 4 if you want to start with Byleth. So I would say that Production has slowed down. though the Pandemic did throw a Wrench into things, but I think even without the pandemic, we would have gotten the same amount of Fighters

I do think that if might still be in groups of 3, it's just that there are less people in total in each group.

Now with that being said, If this group thing is still a thing, I don't know what happens once the people who worked on Min-Min finish CP9. I guess it's either they go ahead and help finish production on CP10 or CP11, or perhaps they are just let go.

The other thing I have to say is that I characters require different processes, Including Animation, Modeling, Renders, Composition, Stages, Programming, Balancing, Voice Acting, And Different people specalize in each

Like the people that Animated Min-Min, Once they finish animating so people can program her in, I don't think they just stop there and go take a Break, I assume they get to work with whoever FP9 is, so in that case the process should be faster. As they get close to completion, I Imagine it might get faster to complete the characters since there isn't as much stuff they got to do, or Characters to work on. that or people exit the development team, which goes well with Nintendo since they could stop paying those people, but yes
I should note that developers specialized in different areas usually don't help in stuff outside of their expertise. For example, we know that towards the end of the Smash 4 development, modelers had free time in their hands and that's how we get a few extra clones.

So, certain parts of the development might go faster but I don't think they'll affect when the fighters will come out because the lengthy processes will still take long.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
View attachment 297290
Is it perfect? Hell no, but i think at least the pacifism gimmick is handled well
That’s a crazy, creative moveset! I’d love to see it become real.

My idea for a purely Pacifist Frisk is that they’d summon their friends for their specials/Smashes, similarly to Captain Commando in Marvel vs Capcom. This way you’d represent Undertale’s theme of friendship/love; as the friends would do the majority of the fighting for Frisk, essentially protecting Frisk. While also representing each section of the game, since each section is about one or two characters.

That would be god tier. Though, I’d like atleast one woman in that potential final 7. Maybe replacing Crono or Eggman.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Agreed. This is a near perfect roster.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, I think them working on multiple characters at once is pretty obvious, lol. It's the "Each character is handled by a specific group" part I don't buy.
Yeah. One team doesn't do EVERYTHING. Some are in charge of balance. Some are in charge of the model. Some are in charge of sound effects. Development isn't linear. They probably work on every character in a pass at the same time. Each character is just at a different stage.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I should note that developers specialized in different areas usually don't help in stuff outside of their expertise. For example, we know that towards the end of the Smash 4 development, modelers had free time in their hands and that's how we get a few extra clones.

So, certain parts of the development might go faster but I don't think they'll affect when the fighters will come out because the lengthy processes will still take long.
I figured that

What I Meant was that if there were, as an example, 3 Groups of Animators that are working on CP9, CP10, and CP11, and the people animating CP9 Finish early, it's possible they could help with CP10 or CP11 to expedite the Process

That's what I mean by making the development faster.

But yeah I agree. I Imagine for example if the people making the Mural Art finish all the characters, they probably just dip and that's it, as I don't imagine most, if any of them have expertise in other areas

That’s a crazy, creative moveset! I’d love to see it become real.

My idea for a purely Pacifist Frisk is that they’d summon their friends for their specials/Smashes, similarly to Captain Commando in Marvel vs Capcom. This way you’d represent Undertale’s theme of friendship/love; as the friends would do the majority of the fighting for Frisk, essentially protecting Frisk. While also representing each section of the game, since each section is about one or two characters.
A Character that Summons assists Is honestly a Gameplay style I want to see, and I think Frisk would be a great character to do it with without feeling forced

It would be a good way of representing the colorful cast of Undertale, without having to make each one Playable. I also Imagine the Actual Sans would probably be a really cool Assist

The thing though Is I wonder how limited it might be. Ice Climbers show we can have 16 Player Models on Screen (with items and stuff), but the thing I have to wonder is depending on how Crazy the abilities are from Undertale, if it can be done.

There's also the issue of having to model Alot of Models for the Undertale Characters. Sans is the Only Character with an Actual 3D Model because he's a Mii, every other Undertale character is stuck in 2D. At Least though you don't have to animate them too much because they aren't the actual Playable charcaters. If Frisk was a character I'd be really interested if they go with the idea

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

To be fair, these are pics taken from their archives, as seen in that PotD involving Smash 4 Battlefield. They wouldn't have an unlimited collection of amusing pics taken from years of development.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
S tier - DQ heroes
A tier - Steve
B tier - Piranha plant and Min-min, really ARMS should have been in the game from the start instead of as paid content sold separately

"good for you" tier - banjo kazooie + sephiroth (I don't care about them but I don't mind them being in the game)
apathy tier - I'm not interested in them and I don't think they really enhance the roster much, they weren't really worth adding - Joker, Terry
Garbage tier - Byleth, just a pointless and dumb choice.

DLC should be prioritizing new franchises to the series, especially since they did such a bad job of doing that for the base game. So far the DQ heroes and Steve are the only ones I've paid for. I will maybe buy Min-min one day.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Any line-up that contains Gordon is automatically godlike. You can even make the rest of the line-up variations of doctor goomba stack tower and Gordon would carry it with his back.

D

Deleted member

Let us have a bit of fun. Make a tier list representing your favorite DLC fighters thus far! Not in terms of competitive viability, simply how much you like the fighters and their inclusions. Mine is seen in the spoiler above.
Oh DLC tier list, sure I'll make one as well.

S tier: :ultjoker: :ultbyleth:
A tier: :ultsephiroth:(might change tiers depending on how I feel) :ult_terry:
B tier: :ulthero:
C tier: :ultsteve: :ultminmin
D tier: :ultpiranha: :ultbanjokazooie:

D tier characters are characters I dislike, C tier characters I'm more neutral towards, and B tier and above characters are characters I really like.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Let us have a bit of fun. Make a tier list representing your favorite DLC fighters thus far! Not in terms of competitive viability, simply how much you like the fighters and their inclusions. Mine is seen in the spoiler above.
Here's my tier list for anyone interested.

DLC characters tier list.png

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
S tier-:ult_terry::ultsephiroth:: These two are pretty much perfect additions to the game. I get the complaints that the contents that came with Sephiroth should have been in the base game and it still a bit of a bummer that we couldn't get a bit more FF music (Birth of a God, Gold Saucer, and Chocobo's Theme are still glaring omissions and of course some contents from the other FF games other than 7 would have been greatly appreciated). Nevertheless, I still find everything else about Sephiroth and Terry's content pack to be perfect.
A tier-:ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:: Both are good additions, but I don't find them as refined as the ones on the tier above. Frankly, if Joker's moveset were a bit more refined (which you should read as "should have played like a Jojo's HttF character", or at the very least incorporating more mechanics from Persona 5), he would have gone easily to S tier. Banjo is fine, but have very little attachment to the character by virtue of being a zoomer, but I'm still happy that he's here.
B tier-:ultsteve::ultminmin:ulthero:: All these characters are fine additions and I generally like the other content that they brought with them, I just don't feel as enthusiastic about them as I do with the characters mentioned before. For what it's worth Steve's tier position would probably be more of "A-" on a more precise ranking.
C tier-:ultpiranha:: I got it as a freebie and I don't take offense to their inclusion as some people do, but after seeing everything else we got after PP I don't think it would be fair to rank it higher. It really does feel like the base roster addition that it was originally intended to be.
D tier-:ultbyleth:: I like 3H as a game but it would be an understatement to say that Byleth's inclusion in Smash was a hype deflator. I'm not gonna beat this dead horse much more than needed though, I could mention that I would have preferred the game to be represented with a different character other than the third generic avatar protagonist in a row and if it was actually added as a result of the game success in this Fighter Pass instead of repeating what the did with Corrin and deciding to add them before knowing how the game would be received, but I guess that doesn't really matter now.

(yes I realize that my opinions are pretty standards but be assured that this is how I genuinely feel about these characters).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom