• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Here's a question for the thread.

What have you enjoyed more? The characters that we added in Ultimate's base game or the characters that have been added in Ultimate's DLC thus far?

For the sake of argument, any vets that were not in Smash for Wii U/3DS (:ulticeclimbers:,:ultpichu:,:ultyounglink:,:ultsnake:,:ultsquirtle:,:ultivysaur:,:ultwolf:) can be counted for Ultimate's base game while :ultpiranha: can be counted for Ultimate's DLC.
Base game if the returning vets are counted. Otherwise, DLC wins. There's just not enough base newcomers to really make it a fair competition.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

What have you enjoyed more? The characters that we added in Ultimate's base game or the characters that have been added in Ultimate's DLC thus far?

For the sake of argument, any vets that were not in Smash for Wii U/3DS (:ulticeclimbers:,:ultpichu:,:ultyounglink:,:ultsnake:,:ultsquirtle:,:ultivysaur:,:ultwolf:) can be counted for Ultimate's base game while :ultpiranha: can be counted for Ultimate's DLC.
Base. Ridley and Wolf were the additions that have given me the most playtime and enjoyment (Dark Samus was nice bonus). DLC was purchased to make sure my friends can play who they want.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

The base game wins hands down if you include the cut veterans. Having Ice Climbers, Pichu, Young Link, Snake, Pokemon Trainer and Wolf back was amazing. Newcomers like Ridley, Simon and King K. Rool were great picks too. The only part about the base game I didn't like were the Echo Fighters and... Isabelle...

While I like Banjo & Kazooie, Terry and Sephiroth, the other characters that Nintendo has picked are not to my taste and I'm desperately hoping for more DLC and more third party characters after Fighter Pass 2.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Base game. That selection to me is quality over quantity, and although DLC was great for the most part, only a couple of the fighters for it matched up to the base game.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I was happy with both, But the DLC is just more interesting in my eyes. The base game was no slouch though it had my most wanted at the time :ultisabelle: and another that I didn't know I wanted :ultrichter: and the fan favorites being added. But the DLC has just felt more interesting all around.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Not that I haven’t enjoyed the DLC, but the hype I had for “Everyone is Here!” along with the base game newcomers easily surpasses the hype I’ve had from the DLC thus far. I’ve enjoyed all the DLC each in their own way, but the short, amazing hype cycle from E3 2018 to launch date was awesome.

In terms of the characters themselves, I still enjoy the base game characters more. I got the return of ICies, the addition of Inkling, and found some new favorites like Ridley, K. Rool, and Incineroar. The DLC, for the most part, has been a mixed bag for me both in terms of who the characters actually are and their movesets. Again though, I have enjoyed all the DLC to some extent.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think I can make a more believable fake leak than most fake leaks out there.
Challenger Pack 9: Cinderace (announed on February 27th to celebrate Pokemon's 25th anniversary; releases between March and April)

Challenger Pack 10: Chosen Undead (announced at E3 2021 for Dark Souls' 10th anniversary; releases between July and August)

Challenger Pack 11: Crash Bandicoot (also announced at E3 to celebrate his series' 25th anniversary; releases between October and November)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wasn't Hades not made last year? By the time Season Pass 2 was made this game wasn't made or was still in development.
If you read what I said, Hades was an Early Access title released in December 2018 VIA Epic Games Store, which yes it was still in development while Vol 2 was in the planning stages. While under Early Access, it means people will be able to play the game before the final product is released, so if by the offchance that Nintendo or Sakurai had interest in the game just enough for them to want to include it to Smash, they wouldn't have to get an early build from Supergiant because the early build was already made available for everyone.

Of course, this isn't a predictions list as much as it is what I hope would be the final product of Vol 2. Hades is just a ****ing great game, and I certainly hope Zagreus is in Smash despite the circumstances that don't point to his favor.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

S: :ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:
I became a DQ fan around the time Cloud got in Smash. Since then I had plenty of time to play then all. By the time Ultimate got it's first trailer, I already wanted a DQ Hero badly. Against the tides of people who dismissed them for Slime.
The Hero reveal had everything I wanted.
But the character was pretty much my 2nd most wanted for this game. Adding the sense of victory for getting them over Slime, only made it better.
And there's 4 of them! Each represents an important part of my state as a DQ fan.
:ulthero2:: My first DQ game.
:ulthero3:: The one that made me a fan.
:ulthero4:: My first game as a fan.
:ulthero:: My favorite game in the series.

B:
:ultsephiroth:
He was a hype reveal, not going to lie.
I used to be a HUGE FF nerd during my teens, and 7 was my fave.
Though tbh I had other Square-Enix characters in mind before him.
We got more FFVII music which is fantastic.
And Sephiroth Is an iconic villain.

:ult_terry:
I had some KOF experience under my belt, and Capcom vs SNK 2 is my favorite fighter of all time. Terry may not have been my main, but at least I knew him.

C:
:ultminmin
A casual observer fan of ARMS, but haven't played outside the demo.
Wanted a new girl character, and I got it. But she's frustrating to fight so, a lot of the already ok-ish hype died.

:ultbanjokazooie:
Never played Banjo, just watched a friend or two play it, so I didn't really cared about him, but he seemed fun, and I was glad for people.being happy. Mostly. Would've been a bit more welcome by me if his fans wouldn't constantly dunk on his co-revealee, Hero.

:ultsteve:
Don't really care for Minecraft but I knew a bit thanks to my nephew's, so it was nice to know a few things from the trailer.

D:
:ultpiranha:
Haha very clever Sakurai. Plant character unexpected and funny.
5 minutes in, and it was no longer funny, just akward and a wasted opportunity for fan favorite Mario characters.

F:
:ultbyleth:
Not going to go into details cause probably everything's been said.
Just know that he's the reason why I'm paranoid that every blank DLC space could be another FE character.
And the reason why I didn't buy the whole Season 2 Pass, but instead will cherry pick my favorites.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hot take, the newcomer lineup we have now blows the Grinch Leak out of the water tbh

Outside of maybe Shadow, we still ended up getting the biggest character of that batch (Banjo) anyways. Everyone else were just obscure characters from obscure series (sorry, Geno and Isaac fans...).

I always figured that Banjo was probably the biggest reason people wanted it to be real.
That's not a hot take coming from you.

Technomage

Smash Champion
How would you guys feel if this was the remaining roster? The remaining Fighters in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and a smaller Fighters Pass Vol. 3. Four more Fighters after Vol. 2 would make the CSS a full rectangle again.
Yeah, I would approve of more characters; I'd also like for the character select screen to be a full, even rectangle at the end of the DLC runs.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How would you guys feel if this was the remaining roster? The remaining Fighters in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and a smaller Fighters Pass Vol. 3. Four more Fighters after Vol. 2 would make the CSS a full rectangle again.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic with this lineup. No Doomguy is a bummer, but all in all, Smash's roster would still go from an 11/10 to a 12/10, lol.
Nintendo has more projects to fund than just Smash DLC/10.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You're right, since Sakurai once stated that there currently won't be anymore DLC planned after FP2, making a 3rd Pass quite unlikely.
Yeah. Sakurai might want to move on to other projects, and I don't know if Nintendo would want to make more Smash DLC without him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You're right, since Sakurai once stated that there currently won't be anymore DLC planned after FP2, making a 3rd Pass quite unlikely.
Actually this means there definitely will be an FP3, since Riley has doubted a first-party, a western character, and a TGA reveal :4pacman:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah. Sakurai might want to move on to other projects, and I don't know if Nintendo would want to make more Smash DLC without him.
Nintendo would definitely make more smash DLC without him. It's just Sakurai likes his work too much to quit.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

This seems to be the unpopular opinion here, but definitely DLC

Base game's set of new characters were so limited, they kinda had to go with the essentials. Not bad by any means, just kinda by the numbers. Plus while EVERYONE IS HERE was bliss, I'm more adamant on new content rather than old, and I definitely found base lacking in that department.

DLC on the other hand, has been able to be a lot more wild, unpredictable, experimental and all-new. As such, the selection is just a lot more interesting in comparison. Like I highly doubt characters like Sephiroth, Terry, and Joker would've been anywhere near high priority for base.

Base had some great inclusions like :ultsnake: :ultpichu: :ultinkling: :ultchrom: :ultincineroar:. But DLC has had the likes of :ultminmin:ultsteve::ultbyleth::ultjoker::ult_terry::ultsephiroth: and I just prefer this selection a whole lot more. Especially assuming a couple were even legitimate dream picks of mine, something base never really scratched for me, aside from kinda Incineroar.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Being how much they respect him, that honestly makes a lot of sense.

A new Smash game without Sakurai is one thing. They've constantly went with bringing him back, though that could change at some point. He can say no after all.

But the DLC is still part of the same game, so why make it without him? He even has hard control on whether a character will be DLC or not. He chooses them from what Nintendo suggests. If he says no, they don't happen. His own words too, meaning he's treated as very important to the current project.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Being how much they respect him, that honestly makes a lot of sense.

A new Smash game without Sakurai is one thing. They've constantly went with bringing him back, though that could change at some point. He can say no after all.

But the DLC is still part of the same game, so why make it without him? He even has hard control on whether a character will be DLC or not. He chooses them from what Nintendo suggests. If he says no, they don't happen. His own words too, meaning he's treated as very important to the current project.
It would be bad PR to just continue on without Sakurai, as Nintendo would be painted as greedy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It would be bad PR to just continue on without Sakurai, as Nintendo would be painted as greedy.
That too, honestly.

Though to be fair, they already are. But what company isn't.

It also makes little sense. Sakurai already did almost the entire game and figured out how characters work. Why change that?

You don't need to bring him on for a new game, but let the game finish first.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

DLC for sure because while I loved Incineroar, popped off for Belmonts and caused noise complaints with Ridley, Terry's the best Smash inclusion, Sephiroth truly felt like the game was enhanced due to the added content as if to say "Yeah we ****ed up", Hero's the most fun casual character in the game, Byleth's in a similair boat due to Amyr memes and Steve feels just right. Though if you ask me, this is an unfair question as there's more DLC than base and Belmont's the only one who came with a similair amount of content
To be honest, after thinking about it, it does feel a bit disingenuous to credit the Grinch Leak for Ken considering he was already leaked anyways.

So yeah, for all intents and purposes, Banjo & Kazooie were pretty much the only Grinch Leak characters that actually eventually made it in.
This image is so hilarious to me because A: It completely shuts down Cacomallow as the timers didn't match at all and B: the only argument used to claim this was a fake was a literal neonazi saying "I go on 4chan a lot so I can tell it's fake"

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
My DLC Tier List
SSS::ult_terry:-I didn’t even know who he was before being revealed.All the love and attention giving to him was just godlike though.
S::ultsteve::ultsephiroth:-Sephiroth is my new main and Minecraft was my childhood, I can’t not love them.
A::ultpiranha:-Funny as hell addition, was cool for essentially being a bonus.
B::ultminmin:ultjoker:- They were fine. Cool and all but nothing that particularly interesting.
C: :ultbylethf::ultbyleth:-Happy for the people who wanted them. I personally found they’re inclusion hilarious as the writing was on the wall for outrage.
D::ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4::ultbanjokazooie:-They just didn’t have hype. Heros Critical Smash attacks really got on my nerves. Banjo is one of the annoying characters to fight. I was honestly more hyped for Sans than I was these guys.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

Definitely the DLC. The inclusions in the base game were definitely cool (I still enjoy playing characters like :ultridley: :ultchrom: :ultdarksamus: ), and "EVERYONE IS HERE" was a big deal, but the DLC just feels so much more exciting for me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the most practical reason to not go for DLC without Sakurai is that there might not simply be anyone they quite trust to oversee that kind of development yet. He knows the game in and out and understands the best nuances of what largely makes characters work. Given the quality control by Nintendo with certain franchises, they may have determined that putting fighters out without him is simply too much potential risk in terms of overall execution.

Have to go with base game; while the DLC has reached out to some interesting areas in regards to franchises and gameplay (Banjo aside) the core game felt like the last time Smash was really going for long time favorites and much needed elevation of quality first party Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

S: :ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:
I became a DQ fan around the time Cloud got in Smash. Since then I had plenty of time to play then all. By the time Ultimate got it's first trailer, I already wanted a DQ Hero badly. Against the tides of people who dismissed them for Slime.
The Hero reveal had everything I wanted.
But the character was pretty much my 2nd most wanted for this game. Adding the sense of victory for getting them over Slime, only made it better.
And there's 4 of them! Each represents an important part of my state as a DQ fan.
:ulthero2:: My first DQ game.
:ulthero3:: The one that made me a fan.
:ulthero4:: My first game as a fan.
:ulthero:: My favorite game in the series.

B:
:ultsephiroth:
He was a hype reveal, not going to lie.
I used to be a HUGE FF nerd during my teens, and 7 was my fave.
Though tbh I had other Square-Enix characters in mind before him.
We got more FFVII music which is fantastic.
And Sephiroth Is an iconic villain.

:ult_terry:
I had some KOF experience under my belt, and Capcom vs SNK 2 is my favorite fighter of all time. Terry may not have been my main, but at least I knew him.

C:
:ultminmin
A casual observer fan of ARMS, but haven't played outside the demo.
Wanted a new girl character, and I got it. But she's frustrating to fight so, a lot of the already ok-ish hype died.

:ultbanjokazooie:
Never played Banjo, just watched a friend or two play it, so I didn't really cared about him, but he seemed fun, and I was glad for people.being happy. Mostly. Would've been a bit more welcome by me if his fans wouldn't constantly dunk on his co-revealee, Hero.

:ultsteve:
Don't really care for Minecraft but I knew a bit thanks to my nephew's, so it was nice to know a few things from the trailer.

D:
:ultpiranha:
Haha very clever Sakurai. Plant character unexpected and funny.
5 minutes in, and it was no longer funny, just akward and a wasted opportunity for fan favorite Mario characters.

F:
:ultbyleth:
Not going to go into details cause probably everything's been said.
Just know that he's the reason why I'm paranoid that every blank DLC space could be another FE character.
And the reason why I didn't buy the whole Season 2 Pass, but instead will cherry pick my favorites.
:ultjoker:You forgot someone...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In your honest opinions, do you guys think Leon Kennedy is still a possibility after those RE spirits event or he's pretty much dead as Geno? (sorry Geno fans)
He's dead, shame too, I can see an RE character working fantastically, but I'm considering all DLC content as 'lol not happening' outside of Pokemon, which we know for a fact gets special treatment, which has the case of being 'maybe idk'

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In your honest opinions, do you guys think Leon Kennedy is still a possibility after those RE spirits event or he's pretty much dead as Geno? (sorry Geno fans)
Nope. Anybody who was given Spirits during Fighter's Pass 1 I think were chosen with the idea in mind they won't be playable.

I don't count the series themselves, because honestly, there's tons of characters per series to note. But frankly the only time where they didn't choose all the plausible characters is Pokemon anyway, so. The fact it's Pokemon is another story in itself, heh.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

I personally enjoy Ultimate's base game roster more. I used to play K. Rool a lot back when the game came out. The DLC character playstyles weren't for me aside from Joker and Sephiroth.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nope. Anybody who was given Spirits during Fighter's Pass 1 I think were chosen with the idea in mind they won't be playable.

I don't count the series themselves, because honestly, there's tons of characters per series to note. But frankly the only time where they didn't choose all the plausible characters is Pokemon anyway, so. The fact it's Pokemon is another story in itself, heh.
Hello there!

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom