• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Out of 21 million sales, about 4 million came from Japan. I'm not sure that's the number to concentrate on as core. Japanese companies like Capcom and Bandai Namco put western characters that were obscure or unpopular in Japan into their games.
Exactly! The fact that most characters are Japanese is because video games were popularized in Japan, so most popular video game franchises will be from Japan.
Little Mac, Ridley, and K. Rool were literally included because of Western demand despite being Nintendo characters.
The fact that Doom Slayer, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Jonesy, etc are Western made characters has ZERO bearing on their chances.
Hell, I even think Jonesy and Crash are the two most likely characters at this moment.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let us have a bit of fun. Make a tier list representing your favorite DLC fighters thus far! Not in terms of competitive viability, simply how much you like the fighters and their inclusions. Mine is seen in the spoiler above.
S-tier: :ultjoker:
A-tier: :ultbyleth::ultsteve:
B-tier: :ult_terry::ulthero::ultsephiroth:
C-tier: :ultminmin:ultpiranha:
D-tier:
E-tier:
F-tier: :ultbanjokazooie:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Let us have a bit of fun. Make a tier list representing your favorite DLC fighters thus far! Not in terms of competitive viability, simply how much you like the fighters and their inclusions. Mine is seen in the spoiler above.
God Tier
:ultbanjokazooie::ultminmin:ultpiranha::ultsteve::ultsephiroth:
Average Tier

:ultjoker::ult_terry::ulthero2:
Byleth
:ultbyleth:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How would you guys feel if this was the remaining roster? The remaining Fighters in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and a smaller Fighters Pass Vol. 3. Four more Fighters after Vol. 2 would make the CSS a full rectangle again.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic with this lineup. No Doomguy is a bummer, but all in all, Smash's roster would still go from an 11/10 to a 12/10, lol.
I'd be extremely happy if this was the lineup. Can't say I'd be disappointed with any of the characters here.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
S: :ultbyleth: :ulthero::ultsephiroth::ult_terry::ultjoker:
A:
B:
C::ultminmin:ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:

C is simply the "I dont care about them" tier

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Tier list for DLC characters based on how much we like them? Sign me up!

S Tier: :ultsteve::ultsephiroth:

Steve is my favorite DLC character hands down. So far he is honestly the only DLC character whose game I have played extensively (Technically Plant too but come on everyone's played Mario). His moveset is so fun and incredibly faithful to Minecraft. A Minecraft stage was also my biggest stage request aside from returning stages (Poke Floats, Rainbow Road and Pac Maze) and I love how there are six variants, and you are able to choose between them which is great. The only disappointing thing is that there is no music from the original game but what we got is good enough for me. Halland is amazing just by itself and still has that charm that the original music has. Earth, Glide, and Arch-Illager are standouts too.

As for Sephy, I would not have expected him to be this high because I did not play much of FF7, but now that he is in Smash, I'm grateful that he is here. To sum it up, he is badass. His reveal trailer is badass, his moveset is sick, the song list blew me away with 9 songs and 4 of them being remixes! The remixes are sooo good and it really feels like FF7 is now a part of Smash. While I prefer for new franchises to get in, FF was the perfect series to choose for a challenger pack as it desperately needed it. Not only that, but I just got FF7 Remake so my appreciation of Sephy will only go up as time goes on.

A Tier: :ulthero::ult_terry:

I will say off the bat now that I was not excited for Hero at all when he was announced as at the time I just did not care for Dragon Quest at all. But when I got to play as him, oh boy my perspective changed completely. His moveset is so bat**** crazy that the night he came out, me and a friend played just him and we spent hours just messing around with his Down Special alone. He is so much fun to play as. The stage is neat and while the music gets a lot of hate, I do enjoy it even if it's just Midi. It still sounds really good to me. Journey, War Cry, and the two DQ11 songs are all great in my opinion. I was so happy with Hero that I decided to pick up DQ11 for the Switch. And it's my favorite JRPG. Usually I'm not big on JRPGs but DQ11 managed to suck me in and I got far into it. I haven't played it in a while but I'm hoping to beat it sometime soon.

For Terry, I played a little bit of King of Fighters in the past. While I've been getting into fighting games recently, I do suck at most of them so Terry did not get me hype at first. I do think he is a cool and fun character, but I don't play as him much. So why is he so high up on my tier list? It's simple: The stage and music. Before Steve, Terry's challenger pack was my favorite. Let's talk about the stage. It's one of my favorites in the whole selection. The sheer fact of it being an arena is awesome and it looks so cool. But the gimmick is what really pushes it over to my favorites list. When you KO opponents against the wall, it is incredibly satisfying. The sound effect, the visual effects, and the fireworks, oh man it is incredible. As for the music, I still can't believe we got 50 tracks and most of them are bangers. Over half of them are in my favorites playlist in My Music. It is such an incredible selection. Soy Sauce for Geese (FF Special) and Duck Duck Dub alone are great, but when you combine that with the kickass Metal Slug music and other highlights like Second Joker, it makes the $6 you paid for worth it just for the music alone.

B Tier: :ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie::ultpiranha::ultminmin

These are characters who I think are cool and bring some neat content with them, but otherwise I don't have much attachment to them and nothing about them stands out a whole lot to me. I don't play as Joker much though his stage is the definition of cool and some of the music is great though most of them are just not my cup of tea. Banjo I love for his inclusion as he was such a major fan favorite, but otherwise I have not played much of his game and I don't play as him or the stage a lot. Some of the music is really good though like Spiral Mountain and Freezeezy Peak. Plant is honest to god my best character and I think he is very fun so I use him a lot. But the fact that he comes with no music or stage does bring him down a notch. Finally, Min Min is one of those characters that I appreciate more as time goes on. Even at launch, I wasn't that excited to play as her as she felt, plus she felt awkward to control. But nowadays I do play as her often. While I suck at her, it's so fun to snipe people from across the stage. Speaking of stage, Spring Stadium is a good enough stage. The gimmick is neat but other than that it's nothing special. What really saves her challenger pack for me is the music. You have 18 tracks and you have some bangers like the Grand Prix theme, Sky Arena, Name Redacted, and others.

C Tier

D Tier: :ultbylethf:

Let's just say that my reaction towards Byleth was not positive at all. Definitely my least favorite DLC character so far. I would rather have had another Pokemon instead and I don't want another Pokemon so this says a lot. I also want to say that I barely play the stage. It's not bad at all, just not much interesting stuff going on in it. I won't beat this dead horse more, so I will say what I like. Some of the music is great, particularly Apex of the World. I don't care about Fire Emblem, but I have to admit a lot of the music is pretty good and some of the songs we have in Smash are absolute bangers. For the moveset, it is kind of a mess and there is not much combo potential, but believe it or not Byleth is one of my most used DLC characters. I like heavy but powerful characters so Byleth is right up my alley. At one point I was using her so much online and I was getting so many cool kills. She is just so much fun to use so while I was heavily disappointed at the reveal, at the very least I found some things I do enjoy about this inclusion.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
DLC tier list ranking thingy thing.

SS: :ultsephiroth:
I wanted a new Final Fantasy character so much to give the series actual representation, and Sephiroth was my second choice behind only Tidus. And while FF as a whole onlly got the CHocobo mii back, FFVII truly is in smash now, which is amazing. Oh and also, Sephiroth is my new main.

S::ult_terry::ultjoker:
Terry was an amazing addition to Smash. Not only is he extremly fun to play (in fact, traditionnal fighting game characters are some of the most fun characters to play in Smash, there, I said it), but he also brought such a good stage and 50 music tracks, which is just amazing.

Persona 5 is a great game even if it's not on the level some claim it is. As an Atlus fan who has Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne as his favorite game, I am very glad that Atlus got a character in Smash, even if it's not my personnal favorite, because he's still very fun and part of MegaTen (not SMT, but MegaTen). He also was my main for a long time untl Sephiroth dethroned him.

A: :ultsteve::ulthero3::ulthero2::ulthero::ulthero4::ultbylethf:
Steve from Minecraft is extremly fun and complex, and is also very cool to have, since Minecrft is a very good game with which I have many memories. I am very glad that he's in and also so fun and so complex, and also his stage is amazing.

The Heroes from Dragon Quest, probably the most "deservnig" dlc characters by a wide margin. They are the pionners of turn based jrpgs, which is incredibly importanr from an historical stand point, and Dragno Quest is also really good. That's not talking about how fun they are to play casualy.

Byleth has a very fun moveset, and while they absolutely count as too many Fire Emblem characters, I don't really care because I love FE and 3 Houses is one of the best game of the series, it's even my personnal second favorite behind only Path of Radiance. Also Aymir is hype.

B::ultpiranha::ultbanjokazooie:
The Plant was a funny reval and is fun to play. It doesn't bring extra content, but we have enuogh Mario content in the game and the Plant was also free if you got the game early, so that compensates for no extra content.

I don't care that much about Banjo, but it's nice that his fans got him. He's fun to use but annoying to fight, but Sephiroth made him more fun to fight because now he's the one gettnig zoned out. And he also brings nice content with him.

C::ultminmin
Meh. She's fine and all, and I have nothing against her or Arms, but I far prefer other 1st party Switch games like Xenoblade 2 and especialy Astral Chain, and I would prefered it if we got Rex or Akira Howard over her. She's still fine in herself, and bring good content with her, but she's also extremly annoying to fight, even if me now maining Sephiroth definitively made it easier on me

Overall I think that no dlc characters are bad, they're all good, but Min Min is very annoying, making her more mid tier than the rest.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
How would you guys feel if this was the remaining roster? The remaining Fighters in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and a smaller Fighters Pass Vol. 3. Four more Fighters after Vol. 2 would make the CSS a full rectangle again.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic with this lineup. No Doomguy is a bummer, but all in all, Smash's roster would still go from an 11/10 to a 12/10, lol.
I would be happy with this. Crash is tied with Phoenix Wright as my most wanted character. Gordon is hype incarnate and would be such a big surprise. Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite NES games and I want Unbreakable Determination so I would be stoked. Haven't played Chrono Trigger (I know, I know) but after Sephy and the death of Geno, I would be more accepting and excited for Chrono, though I would still prefer 2B or Lara Croft. Dante would be sick, though I'd prefer Phoenix. Eggman is a great choice and would round out the villain cast very nicely. Master Chief is another one of my most wanted and he would break the internet so yeah he would be hype.

Byleth is fine. Yall are just mean
I did not mean to get people stirred up. At least I stated some things I liked about the inclusion instead of going on a rant.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Dante and Eggman would be great and most of the others at least come from respectable series.

Though, DLC characters so far did a pretty good job at balancing recent and nostalgic characters so it'd be a shame if they forget that 2010s exist as this line-up does.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Tier thing I guess.

S: :ultbanjokazooie:
A: :ultsephiroth::ulthero3:
B: :ultminmin
C: :ult_terry::ultjoker:
F: :ultpiranha::ultbylethf::ultsteve:

S -
Literally my most wanted character ever, there is no going up from Banjo.
A - Squeenix tier. Only just played FFVII last year, it was... ok. Still haven't played any DQ game, these two are still rad and fun as hell.
B - I like ramen.
C - I still barely know these two. Terry is cool, Joker looks like a school shooter, neither are very fun to play.
F - I'm at risk for even thinking about saying anything here, tell my wife I

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My order's going to be a little rough, though I'll try to include my reasoning. (though my reasoning is kind of rambling/aimless, since I'm just writing down whatever comes to mind)

:ultbanjokazooie:: I have wanted Banjo and Kazooie in Smash Bros. since I played the first Smash Bros. game when I was about nine or ten, and they were perfect. The only thing that's missing would be a few music tracks - Click Clock Woods, The Final Battle from the first game (we sort of got it with Goby's Valley, but that's a technicality), Showdown Town (for all of the issues that I have with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, the music is not one of them), and more music from Banjo-Tooie.

:ultjoker:: I hadn't played a Persona game before Joker was announced for Smash (though I had bought Persona 5 since it was on sale), but Joker's inclusion got me to try out Persona 5 (and Persona 4, and Persona 3), and I got a lot of hours out of them. (though part of that was because my Persona 4 save file glitched partway through and vanished, causing me to lose about 20 or 30 hours of progress) Joker himself is a great addition to Smash, with his final smash being a highlight.

:ult_terry:: could probably be switched with Joker, but he's a lot of fun, comes with a ton of content, and he was one of my most wanted characters from SNK.

:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:: fun to play as, with a lot of variety in terms of playstyle. Shame that the music uses the midi versions as opposed to the orchestra versions, but everything else that's included with Hero is solid.

:ultsephiroth:: I'm glad that we got more Final Fantasy content, and Sephiroth seems neat from what I played of him. However, the fact that they only included Final Fantasy 7 content with him seems like a missed opportunity (I get that there are potentially licensing issues with the music and spirit artwork, but Mii costumes from a wider variety of games would be nice), and the fact that his inclusion also specifically ruled out my most-wanted character casts a dark cloud over it.

:ultsteve:: I hadn't played Minecraft in about nine or ten years (I stopped playing before Endermen or Alex were added), so I don't have a strong attachment to Steve or Minecraft as a whole. The stage is great, and so is his gimmick, but I don't find him super fun to play as, and the music is forgettable.

:ultminmin: I have no attachment to ARMS - I played the free trial, and I didn't find it interesting. I preferred Min Min over the idea of Spring Man being added (though opening up the doors for assist trophy promotions would have been exciting), but I'm not a fan of Min Min's playstyle in Smash for some reason, and the character's just "okay" for me.

:ultpiranha:: I'm glad that they took the opportunity to get creative and go with a character that people wouldn't have expected, but it's hard for me to get super-excited about a Piranha Plant.

:ultbyleth::ultbylethf:: I played Fire Emblem Three Houses (or at least one complete route of it), and I enjoyed it, but out of the possible character options (Byleth and the three house leaders), Byleth was easily the least interesting choice for me. (if I had to rank them, it would probably go Edelgard > Claude > Dimitri > Byleth)

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Ep2kYJLW4AAwzRk.jpg

I made this last week how I feel about every Ultimate newcomer from base to Sephiroth, but basically

S: :ultjoker::ultsephiroth:
A: :ulthero3::ultbylethf:

B: :ultminmin :ultbanjokazooie:

C: :ult_terry: :ultsteve:

It's not Byleth themselves that I am hyped for, though I do personally like them. It's more what they represent which is Three Houses, my GOTY 2019 and favorite FE game of all time. The Gate Keeper could had been the 3H character and it would still be mega hype.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

I made this last week how I feel about every Ultimate newcomer from base to Sephiroth, but basically

S: :ultjoker::ultsephiroth:
A: :ulthero3::ultbylethf:

B: :ultminmin :ultbanjokazooie:

C: :ult_terry: :ultsteve:

It's not Byleth themselves that I am hyped for, though I do personally like them. It's more what they represent which is Three Houses, my GOTY 2019 and favorite FE game of all time. The Gate Keeper could had been the 3H character and it would still be mega hype.
Yeah, I personally would've preferred Dimitri to be the Three Houses character but I'm just happy that the game was represented in such a great way.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I figured that

What I Meant was that if there were, as an example, 3 Groups of Animators that are working on CP9, CP10, and CP11, and the people animating CP9 Finish early, it's possible they could help with CP10 or CP11 to expedite the Process

That's what I mean by making the development faster.

But yeah I agree. I Imagine for example if the people making the Mural Art finish all the characters, they probably just dip and that's it, as I don't imagine most, if any of them have expertise in other areas

A Character that Summons assists Is honestly a Gameplay style I want to see, and I think Frisk would be a great character to do it with without feeling forced

It would be a good way of representing the colorful cast of Undertale, without having to make each one Playable. I also Imagine the Actual Sans would probably be a really cool Assist

The thing though Is I wonder how limited it might be. Ice Climbers show we can have 16 Player Models on Screen (with items and stuff), but the thing I have to wonder is depending on how Crazy the abilities are from Undertale, if it can be done.

There's also the issue of having to model Alot of Models for the Undertale Characters. Sans is the Only Character with an Actual 3D Model because he's a Mii, every other Undertale character is stuck in 2D. At Least though you don't have to animate them too much because they aren't the actual Playable charcaters. If Frisk was a character I'd be really interested if they go with the idea
Well, in Marvel vs Capcom “the assists” in Captain Commando’s moveset only perform one move & then leave. It could be that way in Smash too. Though, the amount of additional models could be something that causes not to do that idea.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
reveal tier list.jpg

I made this a while ago.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To be honest, after thinking about it, it does feel a bit disingenuous to credit the Grinch Leak for Ken considering he was already leaked anyways.

So yeah, for all intents and purposes, Banjo & Kazooie were pretty much the only Grinch Leak characters that actually eventually made it in.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Y'all remember the Grinch Leak from little over two years ago!?

(snip)

Ahhh good times those days were.

And to this day.

Banjo and Ken were only the survivors.

RIP to Chorus Kids, Geno, Isaac, Mach Rider, Shadow, and Skull Kid.
I figure it will serve as a cautionary tale to never trust any leaks, no matter how wish fulfilling they sound.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I figure it will serve as a cautionary tale to never trust any leaks, no matter how wish fulfilling they sound.
I think it better functions as a reminder that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. We tend to find outcomes we like more as more likely and I think that's a big part of why so many people can't let go of obviously fake "leaks" even if they seem fake in retrospect.

Trusting actual leaks is not a bad idea when they are, you know, real.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I will give the Grinch leak and Cacomallow this,

Their creators took the time and effort to actually construct something beyond a green text post for their fake leak. That honestly made them infinitely more interesting than whenever some monkey on a typewriter makes a long shot and we spend a week hanging onto every other word of their post.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
The Grinch Leak was the most blatant bait of all time, and it was utterly depressing seeing so many people fall for it. Evidence be damned, there was no way Smash was hiding five entire newcomers for this long, and given what little time it had, and considering the rate of character reveals it had done at the time.

The worst part was that I almost started to believe in it on the night before the November Direct. Yeah, that cold feeling of unmet expectations afterwards sure was a welcome emotion to feel after the last Smash Ultimate news drop!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Grinch Leak was the most blatant bait of all time, and it was utterly depressing seeing so many people fall for it. Evidence be damned, there was no way Smash was hiding five entire newcomers for this long, and given what little time it had, and considering the rate of character reveals it had done at the time.

The worst part was that I almost started to believe in it on the night before the November Direct. Yeah, that cold feeling of unmet expectations afterwards sure was a welcome emotion to feel after the last Smash Ultimate news drop!
Yeah. I never believed it, because I thought that it was too much fanservice.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Hot take, the newcomer lineup we have now blows the Grinch Leak out of the water tbh

Outside of maybe Shadow, we still ended up getting the biggest character of that batch (Banjo) anyways. Everyone else were just obscure characters from obscure series (sorry, Geno and Isaac fans...).

I always figured that Banjo was probably the biggest reason people wanted it to be real.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Mine isn't exactly a tier list, but I have an image template for ranking the Challenger Packs in terms of playstyle, stage, music, reveal, and overall enjoyment. (The template itself is linked in my signature.) I'll post my rankings here and explain my thoughts below:
Challenger Pack Rankings - Scampi CP1-8.jpg

(The stock icons on the side represent where each one falls on the scale of love-to-dislike.)
Explanations for the rankings in the Overall column:
#1: :ultjoker:
Easily my favorite of the Challenger Packs so far. Before he was announced, I hadn't even considered the possibility of him being in Smash, but if I had considered it, he would have been one of my most wanted for sure, which is why his reveal absolutely blew me away. His playstyle is flashy and fun (although I've found that in terms of moveset, I prefer fighters with a little more range). I remember I wanted the casino as his stage instead of Mementos, but I love all the UI elements that they put into it (as well as the Persona 3 and 4 variants). The attention to detail in Joker's Challenger Pack is great, and I'm really happy with him overall.

#2: :ultbyleth:
I'm really happy with Byleth's playstyle, to the point where they've taken over the spot as my main (sorry R.O.B., you've been demoted to secondary). Their reveal was silly -- Fire Emblem trailers have a weird tendency to try to take themselves seriously when talking about joining Smash, but at least with Byleth I found it a charming kind of silly. Their stage is okay, and the Three Houses music they've included is phenomenal. I get why people don't like them, but at least for me I really enjoy playing as them and am happy they got in.

#3: :ultsephiroth:
I wasn't expecting to like Sephy as much as I did, to be honest. A couple of my most wanted are Square Enix characters that Sephiroth most likely killed off, but Sephiroth's reveal was so well-executed and unexpected that I was completely drawn into the hype. Plus I'm happy they included a villain, let alone one of the most well-known villains in gaming. Playstyle-wise, he's fun -- he's similar enough to Byleth that my muscle memory can transfer over, but the little differences can certainly trip me up. Northern Cave is a simple but cool stage, and it's great to have some more FF tracks.

#4: :ult_terry:
I don't enjoy playing as Terry as much compared to some of the others, but KOF Arena and his insane music list are both top-tier inclusions. The wall mechanic is unlike any other stage and provides a fun alternate way to play. Terry's reveal was really well-done; the console timeline at the beginning and all the pixel art definitely hit home that this is a character with some legacy.

#5: :ulthero:
Hero is silly dumb fun when it comes to playing as him. I didn't care that much about him before seeing his moveset, and after Joker his reveal admittedly felt underwhelming. The moveset is fun though, and despite the music tracks being less than ideal, Yggdrasil's Altar is a beautiful stage that's enjoyable to play on too.

#6: :ultsteve:
What a silly character lol. Steve's resource management mechanic isn't really for me, I gotta admit. Whenever I play him, I feel like I'm kind of flailing around rather than using his tools to the fullest, but at least I'm laughing and having fun as I'm flailing around. There are a couple good tracks in his music list, and Minecraft World is a fun stage, if only for the surreal sight of all these characters fighting in Minecraft. His reveal trailer also had a lot of moments that made me laugh.

#7: :ultminmin
I know I said I like characters with some range, but Min Min just feels like a noodley-armed alien when I play as her (and playing against her can be frustrating). Spring Stadium is fun, though, and the ARMS music is cool. One of the biggest things I have against her reveal is that ARMS guessing game. I don't really care about ARMS as a game, so that guessing game period killed a lot of my excitement when it came to speculation. A big portion of the talk at the time shifted to which ARMS character it would be, as well as what that means for Spirit/AT promotions, and it felt like it was going in circles. So the character herself is okay, but to me, that ARMS guessing game was ehhh.

#8: :ultbanjokazooie:
I'm happy for people who wanted Banjo in and I get that he's a big deal, but honestly his Challenger Pack just didn't have much that I personally enjoyed. I'm not a huge fan of his playstyle, and I actively dislike Spiral Mountain. The rotation gimmick can get disorienting, and even with hazards off, the shape is awkward. There's that little ledge on the right side, and once the wooden platforms vanish, there are huge gaps of nothingness on either side. When he was revealed I thought it was a cool inclusion, but his Challenger Pack just isn't for me.

:ultpiranha: would probably go between Terry and Steve on the playstyle column. Plant is fun in the same way Steve is, but not has hard to understand.

Tying this back to newcomer speculation, as more packs come out I'll update this accordingly. Like I said in Joker's explanation, there are characters I certainly want to see come in, but at the very least I already have characters like Joker, Byleth, and Sephiroth that I can really enjoy.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Hot take, the newcomer lineup we have now blows the Grinch Leak out of the water tbh

Outside of maybe Shadow, we still ended up getting the biggest character of that batch (Banjo) anyways. Everyone else were just obscure characters from obscure series (sorry, Geno and Isaac fans...).

I always figured that Banjo was probably the biggest reason people wanted it to be real.
Oh, absolutely. Just goes to show that you could've picked any four random candidates, and as long as you parceled them in with a highly-desired-but-unlikely one like Banjo, people would choose to be invested in the whole package. (Watching Mach Rider suddenly become a top candidate for a week was very painful.) Easy to forget just how unlikely it felt that Banjo could even get in back then.

D

Deleted member

Alright I've been holding off on posting who I want as the last 3 characters in Smash. I'm not going to post the characters I'm expecting to end Vol 2 since 2/3 of them are already in this and the other character/series I'm expecting is just going to be me saying it's going to happen regardless of what you think and everyone ****ing dies. Why go with that when I can talk about a pipe dream character I want now over a character I'm not all too interested in?

Anyways, before the year ends, here's my somewhat realistic hopes on who the last 3 characters are.

1609087018002.png

As 1 of the few Dynasty Warriors fans around here, of course I'd want the series in Smash, and Zhao Yun is the most likely candidate to rep the franchise and Koei-Tecmo given he's the poster boy of the series. Dynasty Warriors is the biggest franchise Koei-Tecmo owns and is the very game that created the Musou genre, and Musou as a whole has its own legacy with enough merits to be included to Smash from its gameplay to the roster size to the music. Without it, we wouldn't have gotten Hyrule Warriors (the very game that most people look at when it comes to adding Impa to Smash) or One Piece Pirate Warriors.

Everyone around here knows about Koei-Tecmo's various partnerships with Nintendo, and we also know how much they've contribute to various Nintendo projects such as Hyrule Warriors and Three Houses. There aren't many publishers that have a decade long relationship with Nintendo outside of putting games on their systems, so with that connection, you could see Nintendo wanting a Koei-Tecmo franchise in Smash. It's also noteworthy how we haven't gotten any Koei-Tecmo content post launch like Spirit Events or Mii Costumes currently. They were even involved in Byleth's trailer but didn't get any Mii Costume released alongside that Challenger Pack. It's either Koei-Tecmo gets a Challenger Pack, a Mii Costume coming alongside a character unrelated to them, or nothing at all, and I have to believe it's the former because of their connections with Nintendo.

1609087074091.png

While most people believe Ninja Gaiden and Contra are the 2 most notable NES franchises left for a spot in Ultimate, Double Dragon doesn't really get mentioned all so often. It's among 1 of, if not, the biggest Beat Em Up franchises to exist, and it's a franchise that also dates back to the NES era. If you were to include a retro/legacy character to Smash, Billy and Jimmy may be the most suitable pick for that. The Beat Em Up genre is also 1 that isn't represented with a playable fighter, so they could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by adding Double Dragon to Smash. Some people may have doubts about Arc System Works getting a character because of the Kunio-Kun spirit event, but since then, there hasn't been any other ASW related content added to Ultimate. Plus, Ultimate had a few Spirit Events from Square Enix related games prior to Sephiroth's reveal, so it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Billy and Jimmy are not going to be playable in the same way as Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer where both characters are 1 fighter, but this would also be a pretty good opportunity for a Challenger Pack to include an additional fighter in the form of an echo. I have no idea how much they would change Jimmy to be an echo for Billy, but I'm sure it can still work instead of him being an alt and missing out on having his own Amiibo.

1609087110204.png

**** yeah put my man Zag in Smash Nintendo. Hades is so addicting whenever I'm not playing the game I'm always thinking about it. It's 1 of the best games of 2020, and it's earned every single praise it's been getting. What a huge shame Geoff Keighley's colleagues didn't have it win GOTY this year, but at least it won Best Action and Best Indie game.

It's not easy to believe he actually has a chance to be in Smash, let alone Vol 2, but man I can sure hope that the game starting out as an Early Access title in December 2018 [on the Epic Games Store] and officially releasing a year and a half later with Switch exclusivity holds some meaning to him being in Smash. There could be a possibility that Nintendo wants to add a game from 2020 to Ultimate, and since their lineup of games this year has been dry, I like to believe Nintendo or Sakurai saw something special in Hades to potentially add Zagreus to Smash. It wouldn't even be like Three Houses where Sakurai needed an early build of the game straight from the devs because it was already available for everyone before the roadmap for Vol 2 was made. By no means is Zagreus a sleeper pick since there are some things that wouldn't point to him being in Smash, but there are also some things that can have you believe in the potential of him being in it.

Feel free to give your thoughts on this. Whether if you think they'll make Vol 2 a stellar lineup to end Ultimate or a huge drop in quality after Sephiroth, I'm willing to see what people think about them being the final 3.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's a question for the thread.

What have you enjoyed more? The characters that we added in Ultimate's base game or the characters that have been added in Ultimate's DLC thus far?

For the sake of argument, any vets that were not in Smash for Wii U/3DS (:ulticeclimbers:,:ultpichu:,:ultyounglink:,:ultsnake:,:ultsquirtle:,:ultivysaur:,:ultwolf:) can be counted for Ultimate's base game while :ultpiranha: can be counted for Ultimate's DLC.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Alright I've been holding off on posting who I want as the last 3 characters in Smash. I'm not going to post the characters I'm expecting to end Vol 2 since 2/3 of them are already in this and the other character/series I'm expecting is just going to be me saying it's going to happen regardless of what you think and everyone ****ing dies. Why go with that when I can talk about a pipe dream character I want now over a character I'm not all too interested in?

Anyways, before the year ends, here's my somewhat realistic hopes on who the last 3 characters are.

View attachment 297323

As 1 of the few Dynasty Warriors fans around here, of course I'd want the series in Smash, and Zhao Yun is the most likely candidate to rep the franchise and Koei-Tecmo given he's the poster boy of the series. Dynasty Warriors is the biggest franchise Koei-Tecmo owns and is the very game that created the Musou genre, and Musou as a whole has its own legacy with enough merits to be included to Smash from its gameplay to the roster size to the music. Without it, we wouldn't have gotten Hyrule Warriors (the very game that most people look at when it comes to adding Impa to Smash) or One Piece Pirate Warriors.

Everyone around here knows about Koei-Tecmo's various partnerships with Nintendo, and we also know how much they've contribute to various Nintendo projects such as Hyrule Warriors and Three Houses. There aren't many publishers that have a decade long relationship with Nintendo outside of putting games on their systems, so with that connection, you could see Nintendo wanting a Koei-Tecmo franchise in Smash. It's also noteworthy how we haven't gotten any Koei-Tecmo content post launch like Spirit Events or Mii Costumes currently. They were even involved in Byleth's trailer but didn't get any Mii Costume released alongside that Challenger Pack. It's either Koei-Tecmo gets a Challenger Pack, a Mii Costume coming alongside a character unrelated to them, or nothing at all, and I have to believe it's the former because of their connections with Nintendo.

View attachment 297324

While most people believe Ninja Gaiden and Contra are the 2 most notable NES franchises left for a spot in Ultimate, Double Dragon doesn't really get mentioned all so often. It's among 1 of, if not, the biggest Beat Em Up franchises to exist, and it's a franchise that also dates back to the NES era. If you were to include a retro/legacy character to Smash, Billy and Jimmy may be the most suitable pick for that. The Beat Em Up genre is also 1 that isn't represented with a playable fighter, so they could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by adding Double Dragon to Smash. Some people may have doubts about Arc System Works getting a character because of the Kunio-Kun spirit event, but since then, there hasn't been any other ASW related content added to Ultimate. Plus, Ultimate had a few Spirit Events from Square Enix related games prior to Sephiroth's reveal, so it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Billy and Jimmy are not going to be playable in the same way as Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer where both characters are 1 fighter, but this would also be a pretty good opportunity for a Challenger Pack to include an additional fighter in the form of an echo. I have no idea how much they would change Jimmy to be an echo for Billy, but I'm sure it can still work instead of him being an alt and missing out on having his own Amiibo.

View attachment 297325

**** yeah put my man Zag in Smash Nintendo. Hades is so addicting whenever I'm not playing the game I'm always thinking about it. It's 1 of the best games of 2020, and it's earned every single praise it's been getting. What a huge shame Geoff Keighley's colleagues didn't have it win GOTY this year, but at least it won Best Action and Best Indie game.

It's not easy to believe he actually has a chance to be in Smash, let alone Vol 2, but man I can sure hope that the game starting out as an Early Access title in December 2018 [on the Epic Games Store] and officially releasing a year and a half later with Switch exclusivity holds some meaning to him being in Smash. There could be a possibility that Nintendo wants to add a game from 2020 to Ultimate, and since their lineup of games this year has been dry, I like to believe Nintendo or Sakurai saw something special in Hades to potentially add Zagreus to Smash. It wouldn't even be like Three Houses where Sakurai needed an early build of the game straight from the devs because it was already available for everyone before the roadmap for Vol 2 was made. By no means is Zagreus a sleeper pick since there are some things that wouldn't point to him being in Smash, but there are also some things that can have you believe in the potential of him being in it.

Feel free to give your thoughts on this. Whether if you think they'll make Vol 2 a stellar lineup to end Ultimate or a huge drop in quality after Sephiroth, I'm willing to see what people think about them being the final 3.
Wasn't Hades not made last year? By the time Season Pass 2 was made this game wasn't made or was still in development.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a question for the thread.

What have you enjoyed more? The characters that we added in Ultimate's base game or the characters that have been added in Ultimate's DLC thus far?

For the sake of argument, any vets that were not in Smash for Wii U/3DS (:ulticeclimbers:,:ultpichu:,:ultyounglink:,:ultsnake:,:ultsquirtle:,:ultivysaur:,:ultwolf:) can be counted for Ultimate's base game while :ultpiranha: can be counted for Ultimate's DLC.
I enjoyed them both, equally (well, expect for maybe :ultpichu:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom