• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I know its hard to predict who it could be at this point but just curious what everyone's predictions who the last two are.

Mine are

CP10: Swordfighter character (Adol Christan, Chosen Undead, Dovahkiin, Euden, Yuri, etc.)
CP11: Master Chief

Double reveal in June. Swordfighter character releases same month, Master Chief releases in September-October.
Mine are:
CP10: Someone major, but not speculated (Reimu, John Marston, Chosen Undead, League as a whole)
CP11: Ayumi Tachibanan. Right place at the Right Time essentially. She has the perfect timing with that Remake, could be unique, easy to come up with other content, and ties up the biggest loose end in Smash History. I would personally prefer Rhythm Heaven, but Music Rights is fun so Ayumi Tachibana.
It’s 50/50 depending on how they want to reveal these Final Two. If they want to do a double reveal, then sharing the Reveal Trailer could be fun. Ayumi getting caught up in a shootout between Wolf, Zelda, and John. Chosen Undead getting revived, while Ayumi gets caught in the Middle of a Fight after the Undead’s Revival. I could go on and on, but still! If they’re revealed at different times, then Ayumi is 100% a November Character lol.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I thought it got salvaged back together like Skullgirls did.
Sadly, the case with Indivisible was more complicated than that. Skullgirls at least had a seperate company that worked on the mobile game and was willing to take over support for the main game, hence the surprise return of DLC. Indivisible ended up having its DLC cancelled despite being more or less finished, and nobody gets to enjoy it because one man had to be the ABSOLUTE WORST.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I think a big concern for a lot of western characters is they don’t really “fit” Smash in the usual sense. While you could argue that anyone would fit in Smash at this point, the fact remains that we have a total of one out of 80+ characters that fits the gritty realistic style that western games are known for (Snake). And even then, MGS is still a rather goofy franchise next to big Western names like Call of Duty and Assassin’s Creed.

Following this reasoning, I personally believe that cereal box mascot characters like Crash Bandicoot still have a very reasonable chance, as well as just indisputable industry titans like the Master Chief. Anything else I find rather unlikely, though Smash has surprised me before.
Assassin's Creed is already in Smash Bros Ultimate. Altaiir got a Mii Costume. It's not the real thing sure but it is considered fine in to be in Smash. MGS may be a goofy franchise sometimes but Snake in Smash isn't really goofy. He's this realistic dude with a bunch of realistic weapons who cracks necks and cashes checks. Even a more realistic series like COD has a bunch of fun non-realistic secrets and things, especially with games that take place in the future or in a zombie apocalypse. The same thing with GTA and Red Dead, both series are realistic on the outside but it's had zombies, aliens, clones, a time traveler, vampires, the devil, futuristic vehicles, futuristic weapons, characters that can carry a bunch of weapons, super-criminals fueled with adrenaline who have special abilities that warp reality etc. Assassin's Creed has characters who use the animus to see into the past, an ancient god-like civilization, and golden artifacts that can control humans. All these series have their own goofy, more comedic moments too.

If you're a decently noteworthy Nintendo or gaming series character, you """fit""" into Smash. That's the only way it should be seen at this point. There are also plenty of spirits from more realistic and gritty characters in Smash. Think Resident Evil or Disaster: Day of Crisis.

This argument about who """"fits"""" in and who doesn't should really stop when a realistic mercenary can get burned by cartoony Italian and then stabbed by an anime character.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
I know its hard to predict who it could be at this point but just curious what everyone's predictions who the last two are.

Mine are

CP10: Swordfighter character (Adol Christan, Chosen Undead, Dovahkiin, Euden, Yuri, etc.)

Double reveal in June. Swordfighter character releases same month, Master Chief releases in September-October.
CP10: Crash Bandicoot (Tails Alternate pick)
CP11: Master Chief (Spyro Alternate pick)

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Mine are:
CP10: Someone major, but not speculated (Reimu, John Marston, Chosen Undead, League as a whole)
CP11: Ayumi Tachibanan. Right place at the Right Time essentially. She has the perfect timing with that Remake, could be unique, easy to come up with other content, and ties up the biggest loose end in Smash History. I would personally prefer Rhythm Heaven, but Music Rights is fun so Ayumi Tachibana.
YES! Give me any Rockstar Games rep!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Mine are

I wanna say any two of:
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Bandana Dee
  • Sora
  • Dr. Eggman

Pillow

Smash Lord
Assassin's Creed is already in Smash Bros Ultimate. Altaiir got a Mii Costume. It's not the real thing sure but it is considered fine in to be in Smash. MGS may be a goofy franchise sometimes but Snake in Smash isn't really goofy. He's this realistic dude with a bunch of realistic weapons who cracks necks and cashes checks. Even a more realistic series like COD has a bunch of fun non-realistic secrets and things, especially with games that take place in the future or in a zombie apocalypse. The same thing with GTA and Red Dead, both series are realistic on the outside but it's had zombies, aliens, clones, a time traveler, vampires, the devil, futuristic vehicles, futuristic weapons, characters that can carry a bunch of weapons, super-criminals fueled with adrenaline who have special abilities that warp reality etc. Assassin's Creed has characters who use the animus to see into the past, an ancient god-like civilization, and golden artifacts that can control humans. All these series have their own goofy, more comedic moments too.

If you're a decently noteworthy Nintendo or gaming series character, you """fit""" into Smash. That's the only way it should be seen at this point. There are also plenty of spirits from more realistic and gritty characters in Smash. Think Resident Evil or Disaster: Day of Crisis.

This argument about who """"fits"""" in and who doesn't should really stop when a realistic mercenary can get burned by cartoony Italian and then stabbed by an anime character.
I never claimed that comic from a realistic game prevents a character from coming to Smash. I only meant to point out the general pattern that generally prefers cartoony over realistic characters with Snake being the only exception so far, and the lack of Western characters happens to coincide with the fact that Western audiences prefer the realistic style.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Of course I'd still win in the end because I got what I wanted, but it would hurt seeing a character I really love get so much heat from the more close-minded sects of the community that likely wouldn't settle down for a long while. Same goes for any small potentially polarizing and/or unconventional character they could end on really.
Who cares

Once the character you want gets in, you've pretty much won all arguments. Someone unironcially wrote like a full on essay on why DQ wont get a rep and got nothing in return for it lol.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel a Sega character has a good shot at one of the final spots. They’ve been seemingly easy to work with when it comes to Smash. If I’m remembering correctly, they’re also mysteriously missing from Fighter Pass 2’s content so far.

More Sega Mii costumes seems like easy money for both Sega/Nintendo so it’s suspicious that it hasn’t happened yet.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I never claimed that comic from a realistic game prevents a character from coming to Smash. I only meant to point out the general pattern that generally prefers cartoony over realistic characters with Snake being the only exception so far, and the lack of Western characters happens to coincide with the fact that Western audiences prefer the realistic style.
Ah okay, my bad for misunderstanding. I don't think that's a pattern though, all the characters we've gotten so far couldn't really have been replaced with a more realistic normal one in their place.

If anything, that almost kind of helps in possibly seeing one more fully realistic character. Snake's all there by himself since the closest thing to characters with realistic designs are Samus and Bayonetta but one's futuristic and the other is a witch. Maybe Big Boss becomes an echo or maybe that does make Sakurai consider adding a more realistic gunner with reloading in for the reasons I've said before.

(Tinfoil hat time!)
I would go ahead and throw in Square Enix's Lara Croft to my prediction for realistic gunners but Sephiroth getting in over her almost makes me think some sort of gunner is actually happening. They totally had the opportunity to add her and it would've pretty much made about as much sense as Sephiroth. Maybe some other gunner took priority over her so that's why Sephiroth was able to get in instead of her?? Considering Resident Evil also got spirits after we heard about getting more fighters being in development, maybe Resident Evil was also passed up for this specific gunner? I guess a series has to be bigger than those two to get in and I can only think of a few for that.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd say one of the greater triumphs of Smash 4/Ultimate is that they've managed an overall aesthetic and specific fighter design so that essentially everyone fits. Its grounded enough that decently realistic humans work and colorful/out there to the point where Steve or a Game and Watch fit.

And even with future hypothetical fighters Smash (and even Fortnite to a degree) have demonstrated there is a way to make distinctly different types of characters not clash too badly with subtle alterations.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You know we could actually talk about Sora. I don't think we've talked about him for a while outside the forum games.

I think he has potential to be the last character of this pass to be honest. I don't think Disney would be a problem since they've added Disney characters to Fortnite and they've made a game where their characters fight each other so those are two major problems that everyone brings up solved.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Who wants characters to "fit in" anyways when they have the chance to stand out?

Everyone's criticism for the Fire Emblem characters is that they're all too similar anyways.
I think the thinking is that the characters have to be faithfully recreated in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's artstyle without looking super weird, though it could have something to do with tone as well.

Considering that even Steve looks passable due to the radically different character designs despite not actually having had his artstyle change, I don't really think the former is an impossible task, and the tone of a series doesn't ever get a 1-1 recreation, so that's not really an issue either.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know we could actually talk about Sora. I don't think we've talked about him for a while outside the forum games.

I think he has potential to be the last character of this pass to be honest. I don't think Disney would be a problem since they've added Disney characters to Fortnite and they've made a game where their characters fight each other so those are two major problems that everyone brings up solved.
Picture this.

June reveals Sora and Master Chief.

I think the internet would be beyond repair.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think we've really discussed Sora period. It always immediately goes to a debate about how involved Disney could or should be from the content he brings to even getting him in in the first place.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We don't have to worry too much about characters fitting in as it is. Mario's got a different aesthetic from Samus, who has a different aesthetic from Marth, who has a different aesthetic from Captain Falcon, who's vastly different from Kirby, who's vastly different from Fox who's not at all like Min-Min. This is strictly in terms of first party Nintendo characters.

I'm convinced at this point most characters could work, visually.

I just don't know if said character will be someone I'll give a **** about.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I don't think even the combined powers of Sora and Master Chief will be able to pull off what Steve did to Twitter.
Pretty sure Twitter was already having issues, and crashed just after Steve was revealed. Not because of the reveal, but some legit incredible timing I believe.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Mine are

Pack 10: Arle Nadja
Popular request in Japan from a series that's undoubtedly a historical landmark for it's genre.
Pack 11: Summoner (FEH)
One of the big mobile successes for Nintendo, and further promotes one of their most heavily-promoted franchises.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Mine are

I'm team "Double reveal for E3/E3 ADJACENT event."

3 Pairs of Possibilities (no particular order):

1. The Promoted Assist Pair: Shadow and Waluigi

2. The Anniversary Pair: Sonic character and a Pokemon character (Amy and Decidueye, Eggman and Pokemon Trainer 2, any combo really)

3. The Evergreen Pair: Mario character and a Pokemon character (Red Shell Hat returning with Mario, Lloyd costume returning with Pokemon. Whether that fighter combo is "Waluigi and Meowth", "Tanooki Mario and Croagunk", "King Boo and Calyrex", who can say.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Pack 10: Arle Nadja
Popular request in Japan from a series that's undoubtedly a historical landmark for it's genre.
Pack 11: Summoner (FEH)
One of the big mobile successes for Nintendo, and further promotes one of their most heavily-promoted franchises.
I dunno, don't think we're going to get two fighters from the same series in the DLC. Call it a gut feeling, but it would seem pretty awkward to have two Falchions in the DLC Spirit select. I'm of the mind that if we get a fighter from a series, that's it in terms of playable representation.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
i mean

if worse comes to worst and the battery is rendered invalid in an update or something

you've always got emulators... right...?

...the Vita still doesn't have an emulator does it... chuckles we're in danger. 😨
The Vita had so much potential and Sony screwed it up. I still play mine.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we've really discussed Sora period. It always immediately goes to a debate about how involved Disney could or should be from the content he brings to even getting him in in the first place.
I am 10000000000000000% convinced Disney is down for Sora in Smash. Nothing points to Disney not wanting this, there's only evidence that they play ball with crossovers and that they would be fine with Sora in Smash.

However, with Sephiroth getting in, I feel Sakurai may be the one actually not wanting Kingdom Hearts in Smash Bros. He's very dedicated to representing franchises as perfectly as possible. If Nintendo approached him for Sora and he said it wasn't possible because of all the non-video game things, Nintendo would probably not push him on it like they did with something like Minecraft.

I believe KH could work without all the Disney stuff but I could totally see Sakurai feeling it wouldn't be Kingdom Hearts anymore. He might change his mind like Ridley one day but I don't think now's the time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I dunno, don't think we're going to get two fighters from the same series in the DLC. Call it a gut feeling, but it would seem pretty awkward to have two Falchions in the DLC Spirit select. I'm of the mind that if we get a fighter from a series, that's it in terms of playable representation.
Summoner (Kiran?) does make more sense now that they are an actual unit (EDIT: Meaning they now have known combat abilities), but yeah, I still doubt we're gonna end things off with Fire Emblem again. I'd say it's definitely in the realm of possibility though, and at least more likely than Euden.

On the other hand, can't wait to see all the "for his everything, he wields a gun" jokes. The ability to defeat your opponents by summoning a harem is mildly amusing as well.

I am 10000000000000000% convinced Disney is down for Sora in Smash.
I like how when reading this, my brain went "ah yes. This number is: one thousand".

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
We doing predictions for the last 2? Well then.

Back in the previous thread, I said this before Sephiroth's reveal:

We doing predictions/semi-realistic passes?

Well then:
  • CP7: Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • CP8: Ahri (League of Legends)
  • CP9: Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
  • CP10: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • CP11: Steve (Minecraft)
Now, Sephiroth is obviously not there, so I have to cut one of the remaining three. I'd go with Dante here, because I have a hunch that we're done with Capcom.

So I'm mostly sticking to my guns, with a slight variation.
  • CP10: Ahri (League of Legends)
  • CP11: Either Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) or a first party
I'm only a bit more skeptical on Ryu now than I was back then, but I still think he has a decent shot.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

Now, Sephiroth is obviously not there, so I have to cut one of the remaining three. I'd go with Dante here, because I have a hunch that we're done with Capcom.

I'm only a bit more skeptical on Ryu now than I was back then, but I still think he has a decent shot.
That's a pretty solid prediction. Though, I'm not feeling any free-to-play characters in Smash as full DLC fighters yet. Maybe if we get a third pass and it has the Fortnite skins??

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

And what if we get an LoL character who isn't Ahri? :4pacman:

SKX31

Smash Master

Regardless of that, I do still favor Sora because...

... well come on, his gameplay would be as if Meta Knight and Sheik / Zelda adopted a baby and then let Jigglypuff help raise said baby. With a ****ing key as his blade of choice.

I'm taking a very wild guess here and say that he'd probably be:

* Floaty as all hell, because this cheerful kid just decides "'I'mma just skate all over the place as if I'm a hockey player! Why? Because my heart tells me!". Sure, he'd not have a lot of traction akin to Luigi, but he'd have mixup potential out of the wazoo.

* Have the ability to cast a lot of spells from afar in rapid succession - to the point that would it make Robin blush. Of course, MP management would be key (heh) to him as well since you don't want to spam too much too wildly.

* While his Keyblade wouldn't give Cloud-level disjoints (in fact, I'd think that the relative lack of range might be one of his weaknesses) he'd be able to string together chains akin to Meta Knight / Bayonetta. An adept player of either will make you feel that you're being carried to the goddamned blast-zone, and KH fans would be right at home. The tradeoff would be generally low(ish) KO power, but the ability to do 40-60 % off of one opening is still a pretty valuable trait to have as long as the KOing issue isn't too severe.

And what if we get an LoL character who isn't Ahri? :4pacman:
We Riot with "rito pls" and "volvo pls"*, of course! :4pacman:

*(yes, MOBA in-joke, complaining about both Valve and Riot is kinda standard. Even if one of the companies have nothing to do with it.)

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Speaking of final 2 characters, is there any character you guys can see Ultimate DLC ending on that will feel genuinely satisfying to end on and be positively received by most people?

Speaking of final 2 characters, is there any character you guys can see Ultimate DLC ending on that will feel genuinely satisfying to end on and be positively received by most people?
People would have to give some feedback on this, but I'm actually thinking Captain Toad. He's a more recent incarnation of an iconic Nintendo character, and as far as I know people like him. He's not exciting, exactly, but I think he'd be satisfying as long as he was fun to play.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Realistically there is no pleasing everyone, but I think a holy **** level character (Sora, Master Chief, Kratos) would probably engender the least amount of backlash. I think even the lack of interest by Japanese fans with MC would still be overall better than some other Western characters would get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom