• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Woo boy! Strap in! No hate from me either, but I got a lot to say about this point of view.

After Byleth and Pyra, controversy is likely the last thing that would stop any series from getting into Smash.

Are we really doing this? Aw, come on... controversy really doesn't matter.
GTA and the series I'll mention here are way more than the controversies they've gone through.
Some series I mentioned like Mortal Kombat and Doom were both also very controversial yet you didn't mention them? Whatever.

Even with the DLC we've just gotten:

What does it matter if GTA has been controversial to a few out-of-touch people, bad parents, and Karens? If Bayonetta was even half as popular as GTA, people would've actually burned her at the stake like in the Salem trials. The GTA series is popular, iconic, critically acclaimed, revolutionary, and a staple of pop-culture that could bring a lot to Smash.

Is there a "Controversial Meter" for Smash that I'm not aware of where Sakurai or Nintendo would be too afraid to work with Rockstar Games at all? If there was, they wouldn't be afraid to work with the GTA series considering:
Nintendo clearly doesn't care. A lot of the controversy in this series has either come from ignorance or is barely done in good faith. A lot of it is also drummed up usually because of how huge it is, people needing a scapegoat, or wanting attention.

Red Dead Redemption is another Rockstar title and you can do everything that really made GTA controversial, yet since it isn't as popular, it doesn't get all that parent-type controversy you see even something like Spongebob or The Simpsons get. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold more than every GTA except GTAV, yet by this point, it barely got any of the same outrage something like GTAV did. The only controversy GTAV has gotten in the past few years has been that GTAVI isn't out yet.

I bet if we did get GTA in Smash by now, the parental-outrage would be minimal if it even is there at all. No outrage-parent really knows the main characters anyway. If Nintendo was ever worried about parents getting angry for stupid reasons, they would've never added Bayonetta.

GTA. Let’s just say it’s as influential as it is because of Controversy. Not only that, but there’s a ton of Ratings Issues that could be very problematic! More specifically:
  • Realistic Fire Arms that are still being sold today.
  • The general theming as a whole. Sure, Persona 5 does something similar, but that’s WAY easier to tone down. Same with the Guns by the way.
  • How do you get Vehicles, most of which licensed, into a Smash Moveset effectively?
  • Same with the Cops.
  • Most of the Music is Licensed, which is ABSOLUTELY a no-go after Steve got no C418 Music.
  • Moveset without the Vehicles, Swearing, and Cops would feel very generic, even for an Archetype not explored much in Smash.

So on and so forth you get the picture by now. And this is why I think Red Dead is far more likely to get a character than GTA. Considering:
  • Realistic Fire Arms, sure, but these are also Outdated Fire Arms no longer in production.
  • Doesn’t deal with Crime nearly as upfront as GTA. Still there, but less in your face than GTA.
  • Horses, while still hard to figure out moveset wise (my idea is a Shopkeeper selling John this stuff, including Horses), they don’t require any Special Licensing just to allow into Smash.
  • Cops aren’t nearly as involved in Red Dead as they are in GTA.
  • Mostly original score.
  • Still feels unique because Smash has never had a Gun Toting Cowboy before.
    And that’s on top of keeping the Positives of GTA! Overall, now you know why I view Red Dead as more likely than GTA. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk!

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Small nitpick, but Byleth and Pyra have the advantage of being Nintendo characters. They wouldn't care about any potential controversies as long as they got their moneys worth.

GTA, on the other hand... hoo boy, where do I even begin?
What about the other series I mentioned that aren't Nintendo? Still, had controversies, yet still got a Smash fighter??

Their first parties were seemingly the most controversial and they maybe sold the least on their own. They likely don't care much about drumming up controversy. "It is what it is." to Sakurai.

Well if it's about money trumping over the possible controversy, GTA would bring in more money and the fans wouldn't be annoyed. The possibly unlikely parent-controversy instead of inevitable fan-controversy is way easier for Nintendo to stomach. They would totally also get their money's worth here even with an unlikely controversy as it would end up being free marketing for putting one of the biggest series of all time into Smash.

Nintendo has worked with Rockstar before, they aren't afraid.

You don't need to begin anywhere with possible controversy because any possible but unlikely controversies wouldn't matter in the long run. RDR 2 has the same things that made GTAV be controversial yet it didn't get the same flood of it when it came out because at this point that whole "video games are satan" machine seems to be not as potent. Even then, What does it matter if GTA has been controversial to a few out-of-touch people, bad parents, and Karens?

Stupid controversies came and went, but GTAV is still standing strong almost 8 years later.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Speaking of final 2 characters, is there any character you guys can see Ultimate DLC ending on that will feel genuinely satisfying to end on and be positively received by most people?
There are many to name as long as it’s not a Swordfighter or clone or too anime looking because people always complain about it
I could list some
Geno
Bomberman
Rayman
Crash
Club penguin rep
Porky
Dr. Eggman
Space invader
CATS (zero wing)
Doomguy
Sora
Heihachi
Waluigi
Frogger
Monster hunter

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't really think GTA's controversy is exactly the same as it was when the GTAIII trilogy was first being released. When was the last time you heard about a murder being blamed on someone playing GTA, let alone Manhunt? Plus, GTAV features bare breasts when you get a private dance in the strip club, and sex scenes that aren't the crappy low-poly crudely-animated stuff seen in Hot Coffee (and you don't need a mod to enable them), yet there's no one begging for it to be rated AO.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
GTA. Let’s just say it’s as influential as it is because of Controversy. Not only that, but there’s a ton of Ratings Issues that could be very problematic! More specifically:
  • Realistic Fire Arms that are still being sold today.
  • The general theming as a whole. Sure, Persona 5 does something similar, but that’s WAY easier to tone down. Same with the Guns by the way.
  • How do you get Vehicles, most of which licensed, into a Smash Moveset effectively?
  • Same with the Cops.
  • Most of the Music is Licensed, which is ABSOLUTELY a no-go after Steve got no C418 Music.
  • Moveset without the Vehicles, Swearing, and Cops would feel very generic, even for an Archetype not explored much in Smash.

So on and so forth you get the picture by now. And this is why I think Red Dead is far more likely to get a character than GTA. Considering:
  • Realistic Fire Arms, sure, but these are also Outdated Fire Arms no longer in production.
  • Doesn’t deal with Crime nearly as upfront as GTA. Still there, but less in your face than GTA.
  • Horses, while still hard to figure out moveset wise (my idea is a Shopkeeper selling John this stuff, including Horses), they don’t require any Special Licensing just to allow into Smash.
  • Cops aren’t nearly as involved in Red Dead as they are in GTA.
  • Mostly original score.
  • Still feels unique because Smash has never had a Gun Toting Cowboy before.
    And that’s on top of keeping the Positives of GTA! Overall, now you know why I view Red Dead as more likely than GTA. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk!
I'll be fine with any Rockstar rep so I'm fine with just saying RDR2 should be it instead. But you're underselling GTA here. The controversy gave it a boost in attention, but the quality is what made it a juggernaut. Red Dead only exists and thrives because of GTA. If we get GTA, it opens the door for Red Dead.
  • The guns aren't actually the ones in real life. They're modified and unique to the GTA universe. The ones Snake, Joker, and some sprits have are totally real modern weapons.
  • The theme isn''t a problem, look at MGS. To have GTA in Smash, you only need the characters, weaponry, and city, all these things can be toned down as they've already be done in Smash. Saying it can't be done is insulting Sakurai and the Smash team.
  • Here are two GTA in Smash concepts that prove it can work and stay E10+ This also includes the non-licensed ost music.
  • All vehicles in GTA are original. No need for a license.
  • Cops don't need to be there as anything more than stage decoration. Shadow from Sonic has killed cops in an E10+ game so the implications of GTA characters ever harming cops at all wouldn't be a deal-breaker.
Seriously, check out the concept, it isn't generic. Swearing isn't included there, but if it needs to happen, they can say ass, hell, damn, and crap in E10+ games so yeah. Hell is a word already said in Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Did Dragalia Lost had some spirit event? I think Euden makes a ****load of sense to be a final character (not hype enough to be a E3 reveal) considering DL was released in 2018 (when FP characters were decided).
It hasn't, which would be super suspicious if not for the fact that the game is banned in many parts of Europe. That's probably the biggest factor that people have against Dragalia Lost for not thinking Euden is in.

If not the case though, I would place all my chips in on Euden.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Got some very mixed answers to the question I posed...some which I agree with and some which I don't, which probably just means whoever is picked last will face lots of criticism no matter who it is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Got some very mixed answers to the question I posed...some which I agree with and some which I don't, which probably just means whoever is picked last will face lots of criticism no matter who it is.
The only character that would face no criticism is the one I personally want due to the fact that I will be blocking everyone who has criticism of them.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I think saying Pyra in Smash being controversial is a stretch, as is saying that Final Fantasy 7 is controversial because of one article written about it.
People complained a lot about those designs back in 2017 and for days after she was announced. I envy you for not hearing complaints about Pyra and Mythra's looks every other minute. I heard it enough to mention.

Final Fantasy's thing isn't one article. I just linked one. Not being that big also isn't a reason to count out controversy. Controversy is still controversy.

What about Pokemon though? Even if you don't count the others, dumb parents complained about Pokemon a ton. It's clear it targets the most popular things more strongly of course. Shouldn't discount anyone from Smash Bros though.

GTA hasn't had massive controversy in 8 years yet it's still considered a deal-breaker by some.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think there's definitely some fun creativity to be had of imagining how a dual trailer with one's most wanted would go.
Absolutely... here's mine:

Wario making his way out of a jungle as DK, Diddy and K.Rool fight in the sky in the background(yes this takes place during K.Rool's reveal) when he stumbles across a ruin.

He checks his map excitedly, only to charge in.
As he does he's chased by Boos! Merely half a meter away from the Crystal Coconut, he accidentally steps on a classic arrow trap, which pins him to the wall.
The Boos enclose around him, but are suddenly enveloped in a bright beam of light, which causes them to turn to smoke.
Wario's shocked but relieved he survived, only to see the top of a familiar head walk past. Wario struggles, but is fully pinned by the arrows. "Hey!"

A Thwomp falls down in front of the Crystal coconut, blocking the path, but we see a a hand reach into the backpack and lift a blue pickaxe high into the sky.

Shot from the back, the Thwomp is smashed through as Captain Toad stands triumphantly with pickaxe in hand "CAPTAIN TOAD PICKS A FIGHT!" and we get a montage of him fighting Wario, Steve, Bowser, Peach, Daisy and K.Rool. After the montage he proceeds to grab the Coconut. As he does so the entire temple begins to shake.

A giant boulder starts rolling down the temple, as Captain Toad panics and turns to run. Wario has gotten down at this point too, and runs alongside him, with the two pushing each other out the way. The boulder is catching up, and we get a close up of Captain Toad as he closes his eyes...

...when he opens them again he finds he's swinging to safety...Lara Croft has grabbed them both and is swinging through the air on a rope.
"LARA CROFT COMES IN SWINGING!"
Montage of Lara fighting Captain Toad, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Bayonetta and Palutena.

She drops Captain Toad and Wario off clumsily and lands elegantly, turning her face to smile at them, revealing she's now in possession of the Crystal Coconut! Captain Toad and Wario face fault and proceed to give chase.

(You all have no idea how tempted I was to have the boulder smashed to bits by Chris "boulder punch" Redfield, but Lara took priority this time)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I never really thought controversy was the issue with getting GTA fighters (though Grand Theft Auto characters in the family friendly fighting game would get some negative press) as much as its not felt like there's been much interest by Rockstar or Nintendo doing much with GTA on the latter's systems in the last decade. Take Two Interactive clearly sees value in 2K Games doing some Switch titles, but not really anything with Rockstar proper. I mean event Atlus was fairly active on Nintendo's handhelds even if much of it wasn't Persona.

GTA just doesn't feel like franchise Nintendo feels like pursuing for Smash (especially when Western companies in it have been fairly rare as is) when there's other ones that are probably less expensive and would get them similar numbers in regards to the Fighter's Pass.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Can I share a hot take right quick? I honest to whatever gods people believe in don’t see all the hype behind Geno. He hails from a game that A. Came out near the tail end of the SNES’s life, and B. didn’t come to Europe until the Virtual Console was a thing. Not trying to throw shade towards anyone who wants him, by all means, keep pushing. I just don’t know why a character from such an ill-fated game is so immensely popular within the Smash Bros. fanbase. That being said, I’ve never played SMRPG, so I guess I have no real say in the matter...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Can I share a hot take right quick? I honest to whatever gods people believe in don’t see all the hype behind Geno. He hails from a game that A. Came out near the tail end of the SNES’s life, and B. didn’t come to Europe until the Virtual Console was a thing. Not trying to throw shade towards anyone who wants him, by all means, keep pushing. I just don’t know why a character from such an ill-fated game is so immensely popular within the Smash Bros. fanbase. That being said, I’ve never played SMRPG, so I guess I have no real say in the matter...
It really is an enigma to all...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
People think he's very cool and would love to see him and the rest of the characters and places in SMRPG make an appearance again in a playable form. That's pretty much the gist of it.

Geno has this cool character about him, at least imo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well unless they hook you with their design or premise it's hard to see the appeal in any character you don't really know right?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I completely agree. I loved Super Mario RPG and while Geno was fine, I don’t understand why everyone loves him so much. My party was just Mario, Peach, and Bowser and barely ever used Geno and Mallow. I really wish all this love went to another side character in a SNES JRPG that hasn’t been seen since (Magus).

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Considering that this thread is frequented by fans of niche Japanese characters, I'm surprised there's almost no talk of Shiren the Wanderer.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Considering that this thread is frequented by fans of niche Japanese characters, I'm surprised there's almost no talk of Shiren the Wanderer.
I can’t say I’ve ever heard of him but he looks cool enough. He reminds me a lot of Yojimbo from Final Fantasy X and Yojimbo was awesome.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've thought about him every now and then, but honestly I think Monokuma is more likely for a Spike Chunsoft rep. Assuming they even GET a rep, of course.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how likely it is, but thinking about it I would be pretty down with a GTA character in Smash. I don't have a lot of experience with that franchise (the only one I played is 4), but while the game have serious moments there's also a lot of silly and goofy stuff (in a way I would say it's similar to Metal gear). What I would personally do for a moveset his represent the more goofy part of the game. Sure, you can't really ignore the gun, but why not make the character use a golf club and a pool stick for Smash attacks, throw darts as a projectile, summon car and helicopter for a special. I think you can do a lot without going into overly violent stuff. I think the biggest problem would be the music because I don't remember a lot original music. Then again, I don't think it's very likely because it seems that Smash still want to focus more on Japanese games than Western, but I think that GTA will be a franchise to keep an eye on in the next Smash if they decide to add more Western characters.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
You know we could actually talk about Sora. I don't think we've talked about him for a while outside the forum games.

I think he has potential to be the last character of this pass to be honest. I don't think Disney would be a problem since they've added Disney characters to Fortnite and they've made a game where their characters fight each other so those are two major problems that everyone brings up solved.
Actually this. He gets mentioned kinda frequently but for a long time we have barely discussed Sora and Kingdom Hearts. And I mean something that is not "but but Disney!", "but but Sora should come with Disney content!" and all of that.

I have barely seen actual discussion about which content he could bring for a stage, which music people would like to see added with him, which moves would Sora have...

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I've thought about him every now and then, but honestly I think Monokuma is more likely for a Spike Chunsoft rep. Assuming they even GET a rep, of course.
Even if we get a Spike Chunsoft rep from the Danganronpa series I don't think Monokuma is well suited honestly, it's easy to point finger at a mascot but considering DLC always represent the gameplay of their origin (specifically 3rd party) he barely does that himself, even just giving him that mechanic doesn't make sense in story perspective and role. (no hard feeling)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Even if we get a Spike Chunsoft rep from the Danganronpa series I don't think Monokuma is well suited honestly, it's easy to point finger at a mascot but considering DLC always represent the gameplay of their origin (specifically 3rd party) he barely does that himself, even just giving him that mechanic it doesn't make sense. (no hard feeling)
Counterpoint: Pyra doesn't do a very good job representing XC2's gameplay.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Who does everyone here want for an RE Rep if one does somehow get in despite MH Miis and a Spirit event?

I most want Wesker, hes got my second favorite design of any RE character and it’d feel great destroying someone with his cocky attitude.

Honorable mention to Nemesis, the moveset potential is massive and his design is the objective best don’t @ me.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Counterpoint: Pyra doesn't do a very good job representing XC2's gameplay.
I said specifically 3rd party.. Steve represent crafting and building, Joker has a Persona, Hero has command selection and Terry has his super and input. I mean representing a series as underground as Danganronpa need a lot more effort to draw the audience into your game than just claw slice. It's like representing Ace Attorney with Maya (I know this isn't a good example so bare with me here) with her spirit medium ability which doesn't suit the gameplay of the series she hails from.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I said specifically 3rd party.. Steve represent crafting and building, Joker has a Persona, Hero has command selection and Terry has his super and input. I mean representing a series as underground as Danganronpa need a lot more effort to draw the audience into your game than just claw slice. It's like representing Ace Attorney with Maya (I know this isn't a good example so bare with me here) with her spirit medium ability which doesn't suit the gameplay of the series she hails from.
And Monokuma is Monokuma. That alone would get people curious about Danganronpa. Seriously, have you SEEN the stuff he can do?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
And Monokuma is Monokuma. That alone would get people curious about Danganronpa. Seriously, have you SEEN the stuff he can do?
That doesn't really help at all and most of those only came from Ultra Despair Girl, a spin-off game which doesn't help at defining what the series are at a core and even in the main game he barely do anything than just threatening the student and sometimes harassing them, cracking puns and joke, being menacing and above all else sitting on his throne giving small clues at the Class Trial, which btw more iconic than himself.

I mean Creeper is a Creeper and probably more popular than Steve but that's not the reason everyone is interested in Minecraft in the first place.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Who does everyone here want for an RE Rep if one does somehow get in despite MH Miis and a Spirit event?

I most want Wesker, hes got my second favorite design of any RE character and it’d feel great destroying someone with his cocky attitude.

Honorable mention to Nemesis, the moveset potential is massive and his design is the objective best don’t @ me.
Leon Kennedy, don’t have to think twice about it.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
What about the other series I mentioned that aren't Nintendo? Still, had controversies, yet still got a Smash fighter??

Their first parties were seemingly the most controversial and they maybe sold the least on their own. They likely don't care much about drumming up controversy. "It is what it is." to Sakurai.

Well if it's about money trumping over the possible controversy, GTA would bring in more money and the fans wouldn't be annoyed. The possibly unlikely parent-controversy instead of inevitable fan-controversy is way easier for Nintendo to stomach. They would totally also get their money's worth here even with an unlikely controversy as it would end up being free marketing for putting one of the biggest series of all time into Smash.

Nintendo has worked with Rockstar before, they aren't afraid.

You don't need to begin anywhere with possible controversy because any possible but unlikely controversies wouldn't matter in the long run. RDR 2 has the same things that made GTAV be controversial yet it didn't get the same flood of it when it came out because at this point that whole "video games are satan" machine seems to be not as potent. Even then, What does it matter if GTA has been controversial to a few out-of-touch people, bad parents, and Karens?

Stupid controversies came and went, but GTAV is still standing strong almost 8 years later.
There's a bit of a difference between those controversaries and the ones for GTA..and, beyond that, the actual content of GTA, making it just seem very unlike something that would fitting for Smash..the characters of GTA are known for violence, drugs, sex, and crime, not something you can really say about any other character in Smash which are clearly either Hero or the Villain you set out to defeat..even the other M Rated characters like Snake, Bayonetta, and Joker, are extremely tame compared to any of the protagonists from Grand Theft Auto.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Just wanted to Re:Mind people that Sora has plenty of KH-original content to work with.
Ive long since given up and trying to tell people Sora could happen if he did with OG content but everyone defalts to "hur dur Disney" so I said **** it and let them continue to think that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom