• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There's a bit of a difference between those controversaries and the ones for GTA..and, beyond that, the actual content of GTA, making it just seem very unlike something that would fitting for Smash..the characters of GTA are known for violence, drugs, sex, and crime, not something you can really say about any other character in Smash which are clearly either Hero or the Villain you set out to defeat..even the other M Rated characters like Snake, Bayonetta, and Joker, are extremely tame compared to any of the protagonists from Grand Theft Auto.
Idk about Metal Gear (it’d probably get some controversy if more well-known, but afaik maybe just like CoD did for a while, idk haven’t played the series I just know some stuff), but from what I’ve read on this site, Persona and Bayonetta sound just as bad if not worse aside from drugs and nudity (I guess Bayonetta always censors herself or something, idk), likely being more controversial if they were more well-known like GTA.

Bayonetta:
-Demons
-Big demon monsters
-Bloody moments
-Nude suggestive stuff
-Torture
-Suggestive torture
-Demons vs. Angels stuff

Persona:
-Demons
-Some bloody moments
-Bloody suicide that’s done to summon Persona then somehow gets revived
-Some suggestive stuff but maybe no nudity
-Idk if this is in Persona though I know SMT has demon imagery besides just the demons themselves
-Green pingas monster

My family would’ve been less-likely to let us play these two when we were younger if we knew about them, but were fine with stuff like GTA if we avoided the nude scenes (I didn’t play it much, but I watched my younger brother play it). Personally still wouldn’t really like them myself, tho I like thee normal Jack Frost, hee-ho.

They even let me play Red Dead Revolver when I wasn’t even 8 or 9 years old yet; fun game tbh, if a bit hard and/or a little freaky at times for younger me but still liked it and wasn’t really scared too much (at least a little at some parts iirc)...hey, who needs GTA when we could have Red Harlow in Smash :pikachumelee:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Idk about Metal Gear (it’d probably get some controversy if more well-known
I kinda like the implication Metal Gear's not wellknown, the highly praised franchise that managed to pull a fast one on the entire ****ing planet with MGS2, when compared to Persona and Bayonetta. Also Deva didn't mean they had controversies but rather that they're all M rated

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I kinda like the implication Metal Gear's not wellknown, the highly praised franchise that managed to pull a fast one on the entire ****ing planet with MGS2, when compared to Persona and Bayonetta. Also Deva didn't mean they had controversies but rather that they're all M rated
Oh, sorry; I didn’t hear about MGS until Smash Bros. Brawl and the internet, so I just assumed stuff, I didn’t realize how big it was; I really should’ve checked before posting that...I guess the controversy people pick and choose stuff to get mad about, or maybe it’s just what happens to get popular with the kids for some reason...maybe they should parent their kids instead of blaming the games and their developers, unless they wanna yell at TV and a bunch of other stuff too.

Oh and okay, I just figured GTA didn’t seem much worse than the other two outside of a couple of aspects but idk.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
People talking about controversies impacting stuff in Smash? I would say the fact we got Konami content in this game alone should be a death knell to that argument. Seriously, the amount of bad press Konami got all at once was astounding. Forbidding Kojima to go to The Game Awards to receive his award. The entire disaster that was Kojima's exit. Their outright Stalinist treatment of their employees. Their extremely questionable business decisions. I could go on, but part of why a lot of people on this very forum doubted Snake would ever return was the controversy that Konami had around it. The best press they got in recent times was...Smash and the Netflix show. Outside of that, their press was bad.

...and yet, we still got Snake. And we got Simon and Richter to boot, with a Dracula boss fight. I think its pretty clear that if Nintendo was going for the squeakiest, cleanest roster free of controversy, we would not have gotten those three characters.

The biggest controversy Smash will have is the community's reaction to whoever the last character is. My gut right now says Falcom with Rean Schwarzer, and as much as I am excited to play Trails of Cold Steel, Rean is exactly the type of character that would make many Smash fans throw a fit.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The problem with characters from M-rated games is less about the exact contents of their games and more about what they can bring to Smash without feeling too different from their games.

Persona has a lot of not-children-friendly stuff in it but Joker really just has his gun and blood-spurt All-Out-Attack (which got censored). He doesn't need his bloody awakening scene or sexy Personas. Same with Bayonetta; aside from her clothing, nothing in her Smash content is unsuitable for young players so it doesn't matter if her game features gore and torture.

I don't think GTA content is necessarily that much worse than those two and Metal Gear. I, however, do think there might be concerns about adding a regular person who can commit transgressions into Smash compared to an augmented clone soldier, a high-camp witch, and a Stand-summoning teenage phantom thief.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
The reason GTA is such a no no is for a very simple reason. Its realistic. Sure it has rocket cars and conspiracy theories in a few places. But it looks and feels like a genuine recreation of a city most of the time. Thus going on a killing spree makes it feel way darker than a lot of its peers do. It’d feel very surreal and out of place to see CJ strolling around with Mario and Steve, even more than someone like Snake.

MGS is like a spy movie, Bayonetta and Persona are anime as hell. GTA is a different ballpark entirely in terms of how it’d feel in Smash.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well, if we’re worried about people being like “regular person just with Joker’s neutral special,” Red Harlow could have something like Witch Time but with gun shot stuff, along with some Wild West-themed weapons and stuff besides guns (though really just bar bottles, flaming bottle things, and maybe some weapons and stuff some bosses use like machine guns and the green juice that freaky dude drinks idk; likely forgetting some stuff).

yeah I don’t really know how he’d work besides the slow-motion gun dueling stuff tbh, it’s been a very long time since I played the game. Maybe he could ride a horse or a bull...idk...maybe different types of guns...

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I would say one of the bigger issues with GTA is also the fact that it has very few games (only Chinatown Wars iirc) on Nintendo systems and Rockstar has basically no connection to Nintendo. I know that a Nintendo connection is not essential, but having at least a relatively strong business relationship helps a ton. Rockstar really does not put most of their big games on the Switch. Last time we got one was... LA Noire. And that was a port.

One positive thing I would bring up for GTA for speculation though is that GTA V actually sold very well in Japan in its first week. For a western game, it did not do too bad. Not its sales in the West by any means, but not as bad as I expected it to be.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Idk about Metal Gear (it’d probably get some controversy if more well-known, but afaik maybe just like CoD did for a while, idk haven’t played the series I just know some stuff), but from what I’ve read on this site, Persona and Bayonetta sound just as bad if not worse aside from drugs and nudity (I guess Bayonetta always censors herself or something, idk), likely being more controversial if they were more well-known like GTA.

Bayonetta:
-Demons
-Big demon monsters
-Bloody moments
-Nude suggestive stuff
-Torture
-Suggestive torture
-Demons vs. Angels stuff

Persona:
-Demons
-Some bloody moments
-Idk if this is in Persona though I know SMT has demon imagery besides just the demons themselves
-Green pingas monster

My family would’ve been less-likely to let us play these two when we were younger if we knew about them, but were fine with stuff like GTA if we avoided the nude scenes (I didn’t play it much, but I watched my younger brother play it). Personally still wouldn’t really like them myself, tho I like thee normal Jack Frost, hee-ho.

They even let me play Red Dead Revolver when I wasn’t even 8 or 9 years old yet; fun game tbh, if a bit hard and/or a little freaky at times for younger me but still liked it and wasn’t really scared too much (at least a little at some parts iirc)...hey, who needs GTA when we could have Red Harlow in Smash :pikachumelee:
I mean real talk, most people really aren't gonna care about "demons" unless one comes from an extremely religious household, and even then that's slowly becoming less and less an issue, this isn't the 90's where anything and everything was "From the devil!".

Hell, they're not even called demons in Persona, they're called... Personas.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
So I finished Steins;Gate Elite the other day, and now I feel the sudden urge to support Okabe Rintaro for Smash. Even if I have no idea how he would play at all, lol.

The biggest controversy Smash will have is the community's reaction to whoever the last character is. My gut right now says Falcom with Rean Schwarzer, and as much as I am excited to play Trails of Cold Steel, Rean is exactly the type of character that would make many Smash fans throw a fit.
Yeah, there is a decent chance of outrage occurring no matter who the last character is. As for Rean? I would expect similar reactions to those that I saw for Hero. If not worse. Especially so if he was the last character. I mean, there were those who were happy about Hero, but a lot of the youtubers I watched were either disappointed... or downright furious about his inclusion. Some even cut out their reactions to him entirely. >_>

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean real talk, most people really aren't gonna care about "demons" unless one comes from an extremely religious household, and even then that's slowly becoming less and less an issue, this isn't the 90's where anything and everything was "From the devil!".

I understand that, I guess I just thought it’d count somewhat but idk.

There’s still the other stuff though, I thought that brought them at least somewhat near GTA in terms of violence and stuff, though I understand GTA is more free with what you can do and I didn’t think about making your character go on a murder spree ‘til you get a 5 star criminal ranking and then the law comes out in full-force to end you...

Red Dead Revolver isn’t like that though 👀

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Palutena outright called Gamora a demon in Bayonetta's reveal trailer and we literally have an Assist Trophy named Devil. I don't think Nintendo cares about demonic imagery losing them any customers.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Palutena outright called Gamora a demon in Bayonetta's reveal trailer and we literally have an Assist Trophy named Devil. I don't think Nintendo cares about demonic imagery losing them any customers.
My point was more that they probably wouldn’t care about GTA’s stuff...

I personally don’t care about the demon stuff either as long as it’s not offensive, just uncomfortable with some of it personally unless it’s like Goat Simulator (still uncomfortable with that one spot in the game but not bad).

I like the idea of Doom though, for example, as you’re beating up the demons. still not sure about the violence for me personally but that’s just me, I mainly just like cartoony games but I don’t mind some violence if there’s not too much blood.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Bayonetta:
-Demons
-Big demon monsters
-Bloody moments
-Nude suggestive stuff
-Torture
-Suggestive torture
-Demons vs. Angels stuff

Persona:
-Demons
-Some bloody moments
-Green pingas monster

Demons aren't going to cause any issues with anyone unless that person is extremely religious or from a religious family..and yes, there is a lot of suggestive stuff, but that stuff is in GTA as well..and honestly its worse in GTA due to being realistic and much more misogynistic there..Blood also exists in GTA..a lot more of it too than Persona..and there's no Suicide to summon Personas. You are mixing together two things: The blood from tearing off the masks to summon Personas in Persona 5 and the gun-shaped evokers from Persona 3 where there is no blood. They also don't commit suicide, its meant to simulate a traumatic event in order to trigger the Persona to appear..no one ever dies and ends up revived.

That's great for your family..but GTA is not exactly age appropriate and I'd honestly say Bayonetta & Persona are still much tamer than GTA..neither one is as realistically violent nor lets you act like a murdering sociopath..you still play as a hero in those games..I don't think anyone would unironically call the main characters of GTA games 'Heroes' usually..

The fact that you brought up avoiding the nude scenes but not the violence reminds me of how annoyed I am with Western culture, especially American Western Culture, that is perfectly fine with bloody violence by utter disgusted by sexuality despite one being something horrible and the other being something perfectly natural..I'll never understand it.

There is no way in heck someone would unironically claim that Bayonetta or Persona have morally worse content than Grand Theft Auto..and they definitely wouldn't cause more controversary if they were 'more well known' than a literal crime simulator..
My point was more that they probably wouldn’t care about GTA’s stuff...
I'm pretty sure Nintendo would care about having a game that heavily features crime & drugs in the same game as Mario & Pikachu..demons are fantasy (for most, especially in Japan), the content in GTA is all too real.
I understand that, I guess I just thought it’d count somewhat but idk.

There’s still the other stuff though, I thought that brought them at least somewhat near GTA in terms of violence and stuff, though I understand GTA is more free with what you can do and I didn’t think about making your character go on a murder spree ‘til you get a 5 star criminal ranking and then the law comes out in full-force to end you...

Red Dead Revolver isn’t like that though 👀
Oh no, in GTA (and Red Dead Revolver if I recall) you can put a bullet in some innocent person's head as they walk down the street..just that alone is worse than even the worst torture that Bayonetta puts her enemies through, enemies that are actively trying to kill her..and then in Persona, the worst acts, such as the teacher doing unspeakable things to his students and driving one to attempt suicide, were all done by the villains, not the people you actively play as.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Demons aren't going to cause any issues with anyone unless that person is extremely religious or from a religious family..and yes, there is a lot of suggestive stuff, but that stuff is in GTA as well..and honestly its worse in GTA due to being realistic and much more misogynistic there..Blood also exists in GTA..a lot more of it too than Persona..and there's no Suicide to summon Personas. You are mixing together two things: The blood from tearing off the masks to summon Personas in Persona 5 and the gun-shaped evokers from Persona 3 where there is no blood. They also don't commit suicide, its meant to simulate a traumatic event in order to trigger the Persona to appear..no one ever dies and ends up revived.

That's great for your family..but GTA is not exactly age appropriate and I'd honestly say Bayonetta & Persona are still much tamer than GTA..neither one is as realistically violent nor lets you act like a murdering sociopath..you still play as a hero in those games..I don't think anyone would unironically call the main characters of GTA games 'Heroes' usually..

The fact that you brought up avoiding the nude scenes but not the violence reminds me of how annoyed I am with Western culture, especially American Western Culture, that is perfectly fine with bloody violence by utter disgusted by sexuality despite one being something horrible and the other being something perfectly natural..I'll never understand it.

There is no way in heck someone would unironically claim that Bayonetta or Persona have morally worse content than Grand Theft Auto..and they definitely wouldn't cause more controversary if they were 'more well known' than a literal crime simulator..

I'm pretty sure Nintendo would care about having a game that heavily features crime & drugs in the same game as Mario & Pikachu..demons are fantasy (for most, especially in Japan), the content in GTA is all too real.

Oh no, in GTA (and Red Dead Revolver if I recall) you can put a bullet in some innocent person's head as they walk down the street..just that alone is worse than even the worst torture that Bayonetta puts her enemies through, enemies that are actively trying to kill her..and then in Persona, the worst acts, such as the teacher doing unspeakable things to his students and driving one to attempt suicide, were all done by the villains, not the people you actively play as.
I feel like I bothered you; I’m sorry, I was just sharing my thoughts, I guess all that moral stuff is just how I grew up, and tbh my family didn’t like the violence either, I guess to them the games just weren’t as realistic or something idk, maybe they didn’t see the blood in GTA or thought my brother was old enough at that point idk...maybe my dad just thought I could handle Red Dead Revolver, which I guess he was right...

For Persona, I just remember someone saying Joker shot himself in the head or something in one scene to summon his persona, and I remember an anime clip of P4 or something with a character shooting himself in the head (just without the blood iirc but he did have a pained look on his face); I think I read the mask thing too from someone on here, and at the time it sounded like the characters were tearing their own faces off, but sorry if this is all wrong...

I didn’t know you could shoot the innocent in Red Dead Revolver; I only shot the enemies iirc, I was a young kid when I last played it so idk...

A lot of people in the West don’t want their kids seeing bloody violence either, I guess when it comes to media the opinion of how realistic it is or something just differs from person to person, idk...I guess it’s also some parents being mature and loving, teaching their kids so they understand the difference between a videogame and real life instead of leaving their kid alone the entire time while they yell at the game developers and stores...but idk, I don’t fully understand how all that mental stuff works...

But anyway, I don’t really care if GTA gets in, nor Red Harlow even if I think he’d be cool as a character from a childhood game, I was just sharing my thoughts about it, I didn’t mean to sound ridiculous or dumb or something if that’s how I sounded...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For Persona, I just remember someone saying Joker shot himself in the head or something in one scene to summon his persona, and I remember an anime clip of P4 or something with a character shooting himself in the head (just without the blood iirc but he did have a pained look on his face); I think I read the mask thing too from someone on here, and at the time it sounded like the characters were tearing their own faces off, but sorry if this is all wrong...
Close.
That's the Persona summoning method of Persona 3, not 5.

Luckily for 3, the only thing they took from that game was some songs and the color, blue.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Close.
That's the Persona summoning method of Persona 3, not 5.

Luckily for 3, the only thing they took from that game was some songs and the color, blue.
Thanks for correcting me.

Tbh I think I got it mixed up somehow now that I think about it, I think the person I’m thinking of talked about Joker doing the mask thing, and I guess to me it sounded like he tore his own face off and how they worded it sounded a bit gruesome to me...iirc it was used as a point against someone who was saying Doom couldn’t get in because it was too violent, but Bayonetta and Persona were fine and that they were cartoony enough for kids :S

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised people have mentioned possible controversies from Persona without mentioning Persona 2 Innocent Sin, since uhhh...

(Although Persona 2 IS doesn't have any content in smash, so maybe Nintendo did want to avoid it (I'm pretty sure that was just ATLUS forgetting about it though)).

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I'm surprised people have mentioned possible controversies from Persona without mentioning Persona 2 Innocent Sin, since uhhh...

(Although Persona 2 IS doesn't have any content in smash, so maybe Nintendo did want to avoid it (I'm pretty sure that was just ATLUS forgetting about it though)).
people nowdays are too sensitive for weird reason they should just move on it’s just a game.
I have never seen anyone being sensitive about putting pharaoh in a video game.

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Random question for something I am working on - Do people class the Mii's as unlockables? Or are they in a special category?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Random question for something I am working on - Do people class the Mii's as unlockables? Or are they in a special category?
I consider them as unlockable characters - just with different conditions than anyone else. Guess you can just say they are a separate thing on their own, though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Nah I'm pretty sure the reason P1 and the P2 duology are relegated to Joker's colours and that Aria of the Soul remix has nothing to do with Hitler, but rather how people say Persona started from Persona 3, which even Sakurai's commented on
people nowdays are too sensitive for weird reason they should just move on it’s just a game.
I have never seen anyone being sensitive about putting pharaoh in a video game.
Germany was still recovering from WWII with Persona 2 releasing less than 10 years after the Berlin Wall got destroyed, I don't think it's comparable to the likes of King Tut, who's been dead for over 2000 years

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m curious how many people want a character primarily because they love their design more so than if they actually loved the game they were from. I wonder what the general reaction would be if we were to get a relatively obscure character no one has ever talked about but also has a really cool and unique look who would also have a cool moveset.

One example of a character like this for me is Raziel from Soul Reaver. I love the characters and lore of Soul Reaver but could never really get into the games. Despite this, I would be thrilled if he ever somehow made it in. To me, the look and abilities of the character themselves matter to me more than if I liked the game they were from. I love the Tales and Kingdom Hearts series but I would rather have a character like Raziel over Lloyd or Sora despite barely playing his series. Am I alone in thinking this way?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Can I share a hot take right quick? I honest to whatever gods people believe in don’t see all the hype behind Geno. He hails from a game that A. Came out near the tail end of the SNES’s life, and B. didn’t come to Europe until the Virtual Console was a thing. Not trying to throw shade towards anyone who wants him, by all means, keep pushing. I just don’t know why a character from such an ill-fated game is so immensely popular within the Smash Bros. fanbase. That being said, I’ve never played SMRPG, so I guess I have no real say in the matter...
I would recommend this video by PapaGenos if you ever get the time:

It's a little long, but it'll probably help you understand why Geno is so popular as it did for me. Sure he's a cool character, but it goes far deeper than that. For a lot of people it's become about what Geno represents, namely a highly coveted expansion of Mario lore and characters which no one really had until SMRPG released.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Despite Persona being a spin-off of SMT it's kinda odd that it had less satanic imagery other than the Persona themselves, if I'm correct almost all the SMT game have a lot of religious undertone (not adding much, just sharing my knowledge)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I had another weird Smash dream. Luke Skywalker was fighting Darth Vader, until Sephiroth came and sliced Darth Vader in half. Sephiroth then did some magic and turned the right half of Vader into the male Pokemon Trainer from SWSH, who is now playable. He has a Sobble and a Galarian Slowpoke, I don't think I saw the third.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Frankly, I see translating GTA-related mechanics to Smash as a far bigger issue than any controversy. The series is known for being a sandbox, but unlike with Minecraft, that doesn't necessarily lend itself well to a fighting game character, unless there's some sort of "stealing" mechanic.

Thinking about it, the thing with M-rated characters isn't that they're too violent or too sexual or anything, because in most cases these can be toned down, but rather that it's not available to the wider audience due to age restrictions. Which is part of the reason why I hadn't played Metal Gear when Brawl came around. I think that would theoretically be a bigger roadblock than the violence itself.

Sure, the GTA setting is supposed to be "realistic" in looks... but it's also infamous for a bunch of campy ****. You can't just wander into an airport and steal planes in real life, or just spawn a bunch of lethal military-grade weaponry with cheats (this should totally be the excuse they go for if we get a GTA character and they use multiple weapons btw).

I can't say I'm sold on the idea, but at the same time I find it hard to see what the fuss is all about considering we already got Snake and Bayonetta in Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’m curious how many people want a character primarily because they love their design more so than if they actually loved the game they were from. I wonder what the general reaction would be if we were to get a relatively obscure character no one has ever talked about but also has a really cool and unique look who would also have a cool moveset.

One example of a character like this for me is Raziel from Soul Reaver. I love the characters and lore of Soul Reaver but could never really get into the games. Despite this, I would be thrilled if he ever somehow made it in. To me, the look and abilities of the character themselves matter to me more than if I liked the game they were from. I love the Tales and Kingdom Hearts series but I would rather have a character like Raziel over Lloyd or Sora despite barely playing his series. Am I alone in thinking this way?
A lot of people root for characters they never played their games. You can see it in a lot of support threads, I don't think it's uncommon at all.

Like, I suck at traditional fighting games yet I think characters like Akira Yuki or Heihachi would be pretty cool in Smash.

Despite Persona being a spin-off of SMT it's kinda odd that it had less satanic imagery other than the Persona themselves, if I'm correct almost all the SMT game have a lot of religious undertone (not adding much, just sharing my knowledge)
I'd say Persona also has religious themes. P5 is full of Gnostic elements and P4 is almost a faithful adaptation of the Shintoist creation myth.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
A lot of people root for characters they never played their games. You can see it in a lot of support threads, I don't think it's uncommon at all.

Like, I suck at traditional fighting games yet I think characters like Akira Yuki or Heihachi would be pretty cool in Smash.

I'd say Persona also has religious themes. P5 is full of Gnostic elements and P4 is almost a faithful adaptation of the Shintoist creation myth.
Well, I know there's an underlying tone to it but it just quickly brushed off by the main narrative and life sim. Actually Persona is probably taking it a bit more chill compare to say Nocturne where the literal main setting is Tokyo apocalypse, you don't really have time to chat or hang out with your buddies In that state.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just wanted to Re:Mind people that Sora has plenty of KH-original content to work with.
The KH-original content is still owned by Disney, though. (at least as far as I can tell)

I don't know anything about copyright law, but Disney's credited for everything aside from the Final Fantasy (or The World Ends With You) content and a few movies (whether it's the Nightmare Before Christmas, which was released through a subsidiary of Disney rather than Disney itself, or Tarzan, which is credited to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The KH-original content is still owned by Disney, though. (at least as far as I can tell)

Disney definitely has the lion's share of the legal ownership but that doesn't quite account for the actual wording of the deals they've got worked out. Disney would definitely be a factor in getting Sora involved in anything though.

I do know that Square's pretty loose about adding the KH versions of Final Fantasy characters to spin-offs though.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Well, I know there's an underlying tone to it but it just quickly brushed off by the main narrative and life sim. Actually Persona is probably taking it a bit more chill compare to say Nocturne where the literal main setting is Tokyo apocalypse, you don't really have time to chat or hang out with your buddies In that state.
I mean, all of the shadows (other than bosses) in P5 are demons from SMT, but given a different name. P1 and the 2s have proper demons, and also feature devil summoners from SMT if... and the devil summoner series, so the demons and gods in SMT still exist in the Persona universe, they just don't appear much.

Persona's supposed to be based on philosophy primarily, but that's been toned down since P2 as well. Major figures and concepts from Jungian psychology appear throughout the series (Philemon, shadows, the collective unconscious), but other than shadows and different interpretations of the collective unconscious, it's not been as prevalent in the recent games.

(There's also stuff from the Cthulu mythos in P1 and the 2s, but that's basically stopped appearing)

The Cthulu stuff actually returned in Persona 5 Royal, alongside hints towards the possibility of Jungian philosophy returning to a greater extent (this was also hinted at in PQ2).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The series is known for being a sandbox, but unlike with Minecraft, that doesn't necessarily lend itself well to a fighting game character, unless there's some sort of "stealing" mechanic.
Um...I don't really agree that Minecraft leant itself well to a fighting game's mechanics. It took a lot of creativity to make something cohesive out of it down to even just animating the character.

That being said, I love the idea of a steal mechanic. It would probably come in the form of a command grab Special Move that allows you to steal the opponent's currently held item, or an "item" themed off of the character they stole from, giving them a one use Special Move. This could give you some wacky things like:
  • :ultcloud::ultsephiroth:Materia: Allows the character to cast a spell.
  • :ultminminDragon: Gives the character a laser.
  • :ultshulk::ultpyra:Junk Sword: Gives the character an Art that does more damage from the back.
  • :ultbayonetta::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultjoker::ultfalcon:Gun/Blaster: Gives the character a gun.
  • :ultsnake:C4: Straight up gives them Snake's Down Special.
EDIT: So basically Kirby, but not as bad since multiple characters can give you the same thing.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another interview with Team Ninja

This time, they brought up Ryu in Smash unprovoked....hmmph.
Yeah, RIP ‘Busa. With pass 2 already decided and nearing its end, this def is the nail in the coffin that to me implies they straight up weren’t contacted

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Another interview with Team Ninja

This time, they brought up Ryu in Smash unprovoked....hmmph.
Maybe they're gonna be the new Suda where it's suspicious if they don't say anything on the matter. lol

Hm, it is the same exact wording as before though. If they say it again I'm going to start suspecting that they're trying to indirectly hype up the reveal.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, RIP ‘Busa. With pass 2 already decided and nearing its end, this def is the nail in the coffin that to me implies they straight up weren’t contacted
It certainly seems that way. I’ve never played Ninja Gaiden but I always kind of liked Ryu Hyabusa even if he is a little generic looking. I wonder if this also means that Lu Bu or any other Koei character are not happening either. I would have been really hyped for Lu Bu.

On the plus side, this might slightly help the chances of another NES rep like the Battletoads or Bill Rizer. Ryu Hyabusa seemed like the most likely retro rep they could have gone with and I doubt they would have added two NES characters as the last DLC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom