• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Regardless of that, I do still favor Sora because...

... well come on, his gameplay would be as if Meta Knight and Sheik / Zelda adopted a baby and then let Jigglypuff help raise said baby. With a ****ing key as his blade of choice.

I'm taking a very wild guess here and say that he'd probably be:

* Floaty as all hell, because this cheerful kid just decides "'I'mma just skate all over the place as if I'm a hockey player! Why? Because my heart tells me!". Sure, he'd not have a lot of traction akin to Luigi, but he'd have mixup potential out of the wazoo.

* Have the ability to cast a lot of spells from afar in rapid succession - to the point that would it make Robin blush. Of course, MP management would be key (heh) to him as well since you don't want to spam too much too wildly.

* While his Keyblade wouldn't give Cloud-level disjoints (in fact, I'd think that the relative lack of range might be one of his weaknesses) he'd be able to string together chains akin to Meta Knight / Bayonetta. An adept player of either will make you feel that you're being carried to the goddamned blast-zone, and KH fans would be right at home. The tradeoff would be generally low(ish) KO power, but the ability to do 40-60 % off of one opening is still a pretty valuable trait to have as long as the KOing issue isn't too severe.
This is all making me realize that Sora has a high chance of being an oof character that they have trouble making good, but not broken since his combat does seem to have a focus on areal raves.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of final 2 characters, is there any character you guys can see Ultimate DLC ending on that will feel genuinely satisfying to end on and be positively received by most people?
I can make a list for that tbh. I believe to do this, the fighter has to be popular for speculation, or popular in general, as well as not being a character that may feels too similar to some fighters we've gotten recently. The character has to get people talking about Smash and the character has to be generally exciting to see join the battle. My list, in no particular order, would be:
  • Crash (most obvious)
  • Master Chief
  • GTA rep
  • Red Dead rep
  • Valve rep
  • Tetrimino
  • Doom Slayer
  • Dragonborn
  • Dark Souls rep
  • Sony rep
  • Resident Evil rep
  • Mortal Kombat rep
  • Lara Croft
  • Waluigi?
  • Sora? (Some fans might complain here probably, not sure.)
Probably missed some but these came to mind.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think Nintendo does know that the Western Market could be more easily tapped into

Personally, I don't think that they are able to add more Western characters in time for FP2, perhaps because negotiations with a Western Company takes longer, especially with one of the bigger companies, and I Imagine they were using Microsoft as a test run of sorts, so they probably didn't focus on other Western characters until perhaps around 2019 or something

That's why I say that Smash can evolve in the future. even if not every character returns, I do think Nintendo knows that these Collabs are what's making Smash be as hype as it is. I do think Nintendo talked and/or Talking to companies like Epic Games, WB Games, Tencent/Riot, EA, Activision/Blizzard, maybe even Sony for a future Smash. If they want these types of characters in the future, they need to plan it out now so Sakurai can add these characters to the project plan and such

We also know they have talked to Ubisoft, Bethesda, Microsoft, and a slew of Western Indies, so they have those characters in the pipeline for a Future Smash

I know its hard to predict who it could be at this point but just curious what everyone's predictions who the last two are.

Mine are

CP10: Swordfighter character (Adol Christan, Chosen Undead, Dovahkiin, Euden, Yuri, etc.)
CP11: Master Chief

Double reveal in June. Swordfighter character releases same month, Master Chief releases in September-October.
I just know that we are getting Shadow the Hedgehog, from an unbiased analysis

I have an idea of who the other character could be, but I need to think about it further

Speaking of final 2 characters, is there any character you guys can see Ultimate DLC ending on that will feel genuinely satisfying to end on and be positively received by most people?
Alot of characters to be honest

I'll be straight and say that most of the options that people dread (Another Pokemon, BOTW Zelda, Another Fire Emblem character, Another Animal Crossing character, etc) are implied to have not be chosen for Fighter Pass 2

The characters at this point I could see getting alot of backlash would be

Jonsey
Adol
Rean
Granblue and/or Dragalia Lost (Gran, Djeeta, Katalina, Euden)

Otherwise I think the "Likely Options" we would have would either get alot of hype about them, At least get some sort of Terry Positive response, or just be Okay

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't think we've really discussed Sora period. It always immediately goes to a debate about how involved Disney could or should be from the content he brings to even getting him in in the first place.
Now I feel bad that I didn't bring him up yesterday.

That said, if he was one of the last 2 I'd be over the moon (he could be with Crash, Bandana Dee or Eggman and I'd be even moreso over the moon).

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hmmm, I think choices include Crash, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Dragonborn, Scorpion, Sora, and maybe a Sonic character.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Summoner (Kiran?) does make more sense now that they are an actual unit (EDIT: Meaning they now have known combat abilities), but yeah, I still doubt we're gonna end things off with Fire Emblem again. I'd say it's definitely in the realm of possibility though, and at least more likely than Euden.

On the other hand, can't wait to see all the "for his everything, he wields a gun" jokes. The ability to defeat your opponents by summoning a harem is mildly amusing as well.
I feel at some point, Fire Emblem Heroes may get quite a bit of attention. I don't know if a playable character, but an Assist Trophy and more music from Heroes feels very likely in a future Smash game. But that said, a playable character from Heroes does not feel impossible, what with FEH being successful and some of the main characters being rather unique like Kiran, Fjorm and Reginn.
  • Kiran has the gun that can summon heroes and also serves as Kiran's main weapon that shoots out lightning beams and orbs. Some of FEH's unique special attacks could also be used with him, like Growing Light, Blazing Wind, etc.
  • Fjorm uses a Lance, has a reflective move that functions more like Mr. Game & Watch's Oil Panic special than a counter move and can use ice magic like giant ice shards and whatnot.
  • Reginn is unique with the fact that she rides a Mech, making her a Mech Fighter. Her Mech is a horse-like mech that uses a giant sword, can shoot bullet shells and rockets, can attack with it's forward legs and her gameplay in Heroes revolves around hit and run tactics.
Like while I don't think there will be another Fire Emblem DLC character, I do think a Fire Emblem Heroes character is a real possibility for a future Smash game with how successful FEH has been. The only competition FEH has is the next Fire Emblem game.

Last edited:
Crash is most likely one example.
Example of what, exactly? A satisfying character to end on, or something else?

I was just thinking in a different direction. Most people are looking for a big character to end on so a lot of people would be excited. I'm trying to go more in the direction of noncontroversial and not disappointing. So less hype, but also less anger.

Technomage

Smash Champion

I was just thinking in a different direction. Most people are looking for a big character to end on so a lot of people would be excited. I'm trying to go more in the direction of noncontroversial and not disappointing. So less hype, but also less anger.
Sorry, I added the wrong quote. ^^;

Anyways, to answer your question, I say satisfying to end on.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
See, I could say any mix of MC, Hayabusa, Crash, Dante, Sora, Dixie or 2B, but then you have people say they're mentioned a lot, thus seemingly boring as a result.

Jokes aside, Phoenix Wright is a long-awaited choice, from a popular series, from a genre that's not really represented. With a huge connection with Nintendo. And is still a third party character as opposed to having to pull a C-tier Nintendo character outta nowhere. People in general have shown a positive attitude towards Capcom characters.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I mean the sad reality is there will be a section (a vocal one at that) that will treat a less hype character with anger for being exactly that. Just as Byleth got some significant blowback for being another FE character, there was also the factor of them being last in the pass and not the cool third party character people were hyping themselves about.

I like Captain Toad, but with a pass that's had a Sephiroth and a Steve, ending on a first party puzzle action character, no matter how well executed it is, will get backlash. I'm not saying it would be fair, and I don't think it would necessarily be Byleth level but it would happen. Lest you think this comes from a bias against him, I'd love Dixie Kong to get in the pass, but I suspect she'd also get some similar antipathy if revealed.

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Bias aside, I believe Waluigi would feel fulfilling. Not just because he would satisfy fan demand, he would also complete the roster of mainstay, "unique" (meaning non-minions/enemies) Mario characters and the quartet of fake plumbers. With the inclusion of further frequently-appearing characters in all of the Mario games - most recently Daisy and Piranha Plant - his omission as a playable fighter only becomes more glaring. Especially when you see Mario, Luigi and Wario as playable options in the game, maybe all in their overalls and standing in a line as they did in the Pyra/Mythra presentation. It does feel like someone is missing.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
This is probably a super low bar, but if they do add Sora, I hope they give him Keyblade hit sound effects, because the alternative is using the smack sound effects, which is just Byleth Forward Air levels of wrong (in that it's the correct one to use but like...why?).
Knowing Sakurai, I wouldn't put it past him to use the Keyblade sound effects.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean the sad reality is there will be a section (a vocal one at that) that will treat a less hype character with anger for being exactly that. Just as Byleth got some significant blowback for being another FE character, there was also the factor of them being last in the pass and not the cool third party character people were hyping themselves about.

I like Captain Toad, but with a pass that's had a Sephiroth and a Steve, ending on a first party puzzle action character, no matter how well executed it is, will get backlash. I'm not saying it would be fair, I don't think it would necessarily be Byleth level but it would happen.
Very few people care about the fact that Byleth was “another first party character”. Keep in mind that despite us knowing that there was going to be more DLC characters before he was even revealed, he still got a much worse reaction than Min Min and Pythra (who were actually well-recieved) so you can’t say “being last” or being “first party” is why he was that polarizing, but rather because he was an 8th Fire Emblem character. The people who whine about first party DLC characters because they are first party are a vocal minority not worth taking seriously.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Kratos would probably be the most well received imo. Hes new, old, not anime, doesn’t wield a sword, is a wtf inclusion, and opens up other Sony mascots for inclusion in later games.
Kratos has everything but a wife :4pacman:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Very few people care about the fact that Byleth was “another first party character”. Keep in mind that despite us knowing that there was going to be more DLC characters before he was even revealed, he still got a much worse reaction than Min Min and Pythra (who were actually well-recieved) so you can’t say “being last” or being “first party” is why he was that polarizing, but rather because he was an 8th Fire Emblem character. The people who whine about first party DLC characters because they are first party are a vocal minority not worth taking seriously.
That specifically I do have to disagree on. I think coming after four third party characters did contribute a bit to Byleth being a let down to some.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Crash Bandicoot?

Some people might dismiss him as boring (though I feel like anyone could be dismissed as "boring" if you've never played their game or given them a shot), but his design contrasts with the rest of the Fighters Pass so far (so he wouldn't feel "samey"), he's a popular request, and he fulfills a big crossover that people have wanted to see for quite some time now. (Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash) Plus, he's been on a plenty of Nintendo consoles, so there's no risk of people complaining that he "has no ties to Nintendo" like they would with someone like Master Chief. (I find the reasoning ridiculous, but considering that people used that reason to complain about Cloud, it would likely come up)

Also, he'd continue the trend of Smash Bros. having a better line-up of third party PlayStation all stars than PlayStation All Stars.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
This is all making me realize that Sora has a high chance of being an oof character that they have trouble making good, but not broken since his combat does seem to have a focus on areal raves.
That is a possibly major issue, yes. TBF, there are a ton of characters who can pull of some crazy **** in the game already, and there are some aerial focused characters that are good / great but not borken, thinking primarily :ultness:, :ultfalco: and :ultpacman: (I was kinda considering :ultluigi: , but a lot of his routes rely on his grab to start things and he has a really difficult disadvantage).

I could see Sora having a difficult time once he's hit (since he's presumably floaty he'd be vurnerable to juggling) He'd already be light presumably and not have the longest of reaches, so those might be ways to compensate for his aerial raves.

Outside of those already mentioned, I do feel that characters like Dante or Arle would be positively recieved by most Smash fans (by virtue of interesting gameplay, fandoms or what have you). I'm less confident on Arle due to her being less well-known outside of puzzle circles, but still.

I'd imagine that Chief and Kratos would be very well-recieved amongst the general public because hey, those facing off against Mario would be major league news. Not entirely sure regarding Smash fans, where some might be put off by them being chosen over other characters.

It's difficult to answer this question conclusively because a large chunk of X fanbase would absolutely welcome their character getting into Smash, but it's not a guarantee it would be most people per se.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
And what if we get an LoL character who isn't Ahri? :4pacman:
I mean, I'd probably be happy too. League has some really fun characters who don't get a lot of spotlight.

Tbh, the only pick that would disappoint me is Garen, pretty much.

We Riot with "rito pls" and "volvo pls"*, of course! :4pacman:

*(yes, MOBA in-joke, complaining about both Valve and Riot is kinda standard. Even if one of the companies have nothing to do with it.)
Well, that, and we immediately ask for buffs/nerfs. Even if the character is already top tier/bottom tier, respectively. :4pacman:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I dunno, don't think we're going to get two fighters from the same series in the DLC. Call it a gut feeling, but it would seem pretty awkward to have two Falchions in the DLC Spirit select. I'm of the mind that if we get a fighter from a series, that's it in terms of playable representation.
counterpoint: if its a different installment in the series, the artwork of that different installment will distinguish it

SharkLord

Smash Hero
counterpoint: if its a different installment in the series, the artwork of that different installment will distinguish it
It's still the same brand, though. Even if it's different in terms of aesthetic and design and whatnot, FEH would still be Fire Emblem no matter how you slice it. I think Nintendo would consider the Three Houses pack content enough in general. It's always "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X So-and-so," and seeing as the bulk of the playerbase are most likely casual players, brand recognition would probably rub off for the series in general. Call my stubborn or closed-minded, but I'm 99% sure that without veterans to bring back, a series is going to get one fighter in the DLC cycle and only the one, if it gets anything.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
What two characters do you guys think could make for a fun double reveal trailer? What would you want their trailer to be like?
Ok, hear me out.

The trailer starts with a shot of a New York like city. There's small forests and tall buildings. Mewtwo and Sephiroth are duking it out in the sky. During the fight you see flashbacks of both of them in their respective cannisters they were made in. These are the "ultimate" life forms in their respective worlds. Out of no where time freezes and a blast of red energy flings the both of them back. Laying on the street they look up on a pointed cliff with the moon in background. The moon has a hole inside of it (another hint) then Shadow walks up in the cliff in a similar angle to the Shadow the Hedgehog intro. He holds a Chaos emerald as a flash of him in his cannister is shown. He says "I am the ultimate lifeform as I will become the champion of Smash" "Shadow brings Ultimate Chaos" His words will become important later as we're shown gameplay with All Hail Shadow in the background.

The 3 fight and end up in a foresty area. Shadow falls to his knees as an orb rips through him. Sephiroth and Mewtwo look on in shock. Shadow turns around as his vision is blurred with pink. He thinks he sees a familiar face "Mariah?" She looks on as her eyes change color as she states "Champion you say? Interesting" Shadow gets his vision back to see Ahri in the air similar to the end of the New Dawn cinematic in the place of Mariah. She charges forward in a Spirit Fox sprint "Ahri brings the Charm"

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
We should get SMT in Smash so that we can have a Satanic pentagram in Smash officially.
View attachment 309204
or hexagram
View attachment 309205
Of course, if you download that DLC pack, your Switch will start oozing blood and periodically emit horrifying screams instead of the game's music.

Probably nothing to worry about. :4pacman:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Of course, if you download that DLC pack, your Switch will start oozing blood and periodically emit horrifying screams instead of the game's music.

Probably nothing to worry about.
So basically we perform a Satanic pentagram ritual to put SMT in Smash, therefore bringing the Satanic pentagram symbol with it.

Sounds like a plan :4pacman:
But consider that someone else might be already planning that:

:4pacman:

Edit: The fact that SMT's / Persona's Eligor is based on Abigor was entirely unintentional - I didn't know of that.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
lol

Not to hate on Grand Theft Auto or its fans, but the series is about as controversial as they come.
Woo boy! Strap in! No hate from me either, but I got a lot to say about this point of view.

After Byleth and Pyra, controversy is likely the last thing that would stop any series from getting into Smash.

Are we really doing this? Aw, come on... controversy really doesn't matter.
GTA and the series I'll mention here are way more than the controversies they've gone through.
Some series I mentioned like Mortal Kombat and Doom were both also very controversial yet you didn't mention them? Whatever.

Even with the DLC we've just gotten:

What does it matter if GTA has been controversial to a few out-of-touch people, bad parents, and Karens? If Bayonetta was even half as popular as GTA, people would've actually burned her at the stake like in the Salem trials. The GTA series is popular, iconic, critically acclaimed, revolutionary, and a staple of pop-culture that could bring a lot to Smash.

Is there a "Controversial Meter" for Smash that I'm not aware of where Sakurai or Nintendo would be too afraid to work with Rockstar Games at all? If there was, they wouldn't be afraid to work with the GTA series considering:
Nintendo clearly doesn't care. A lot of the controversy in this series has either come from ignorance or is barely done in good faith. A lot of it is also drummed up usually because of how huge it is, people needing a scapegoat, or wanting attention.

Red Dead Redemption is another Rockstar title and you can do everything that really made GTA controversial, yet since it isn't as popular, it doesn't get all that parent-type controversy you see even something like Spongebob or The Simpsons get. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold more than every GTA except GTAV, yet by this point, it barely got any of the same outrage something like GTAV did. The only controversy GTAV has gotten in the past few years has been that GTAVI isn't out yet.

I bet if we did get GTA in Smash by now, the parental-outrage would be minimal if it even is there at all. No outrage-parent really knows the main characters anyway. If Nintendo was ever worried about parents getting angry for stupid reasons, they would've never added Bayonetta.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Woo boy! Strap in! No hate from me either, but I got a lot to say about this point of view.

After Byleth and Pyra, controversy is likely the last thing that would stop any series from getting into Smash.

Are we really doing this? Aw, come on... controversy really doesn't matter.
GTA and the series I'll mention here are way more than the controversies they've gone through.
Some series I mentioned like Mortal Kombat and Doom were both also very controversial yet you didn't mention them? Whatever.

Even with the DLC we've just gotten:

What does it matter if GTA has been controversial to a few out-of-touch people, bad parents, and Karens? If Bayonetta was even half as popular as GTA, people would've actually burned her at the stake like in the Salem trials. The GTA series is popular, iconic, critically acclaimed, revolutionary, and a staple of pop-culture that could bring a lot to Smash.

Is there a "Controversial Meter" for Smash that I'm not aware of where Sakurai or Nintendo would be too afraid to work with Rockstar Games at all? If there was, they wouldn't be afraid to work with the GTA series considering:
Nintendo clearly doesn't care. A lot of the controversy in this series has either come from ignorance or is barely done in good faith. A lot of it is also drummed up usually because of how huge it is, people needing a scapegoat, or wanting attention.

Red Dead Redemption is another Rockstar title and you can do everything that really made GTA controversial, yet since it isn't as popular, it doesn't get all that parent-type controversy you see even something like Spongebob or The Simpsons get. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold more than every GTA except GTAV, yet by this point, it barely got any of the same outrage something like GTAV did. The only controversy GTAV has gotten in the past few years has been that GTAVI isn't out yet.

I bet if we did get GTA in Smash by now, the parental-outrage would be minimal if it even is there at all. No outrage-parent really knows the main characters anyway. If Nintendo was ever worried about parents getting angry for stupid reasons, they would've never added Bayonetta.
Small nitpick, but Byleth and Pyra have the advantage of being Nintendo characters. They wouldn't care about any potential controversies as long as they got their moneys worth.

GTA, on the other hand... hoo boy, where do I even begin?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think there's definitely some fun creativity to be had of imagining how a dual trailer with one's most wanted would go.

An Eggman trailer where he's running rampant over some natural landscape and threatening various forest critters, only to be taken out and facing off against the likes of Amaterasu who arrives to protect them (and thus start her trailer) feels like it would be pretty cool.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I think there's definitely some fun creativity to be had of imagining how a dual trailer with one's most wanted would go.

An Eggman trailer where he's running rampant over some natural landscape and threatening various forest critters, only to be taken out and facing off against the likes of Amaterasu who arrives to protect them (and thus start her trailer) feels like it would be pretty cool.
You know what, this is actually the #1 ideal scenario for me.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Small nitpick, but Byleth and Pyra have the advantage of being Nintendo characters. They wouldn't care about any potential controversies as long as they got their moneys worth.

GTA, on the other hand... hoo boy, where do I even begin?
I think saying Pyra in Smash being controversial is a stretch, as is saying that Final Fantasy 7 is controversial because of one article written about it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think saying Pyra in Smash being controversial is a stretch, as is saying that Final Fantasy 7 is controversial because of one article written about it.
Well, the post I was replying to said she was, so that's what I meant.

Though I WILL say she didn't exactly have a positive reception...

cothero

Smash Lord
Did Dragalia Lost had some spirit event? I think Euden makes a ****load of sense to be a final character (not hype enough to be a E3 reveal) considering DL was released in 2018 (when FP characters were decided).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Did Dragalia Lost had some spirit event? I think Euden makes a ****load of sense to be a final character (not hype enough to be a E3 reveal) considering DL was released in 2018 (when FP characters were decided).
Of course it hasn't had a Spirit Event, what do you think I've been saying all this time!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom