• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That was probably me. I think I'm the only one here who wants Billy Hatcher in Smash. Or at least, it feels like it...
Tell you what: I actually like Billy Hatcher, but I have no ******* clue how he'd work in Smash. I've yet to see any game that played like that - closest approximation I can make is Mario Sunshine + Katamari + Glover.

So... how do you think Billy would play? I'm in the mood to see concepts for characters I usually don't think about.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
honestly i think the prince (from katamari) would b one of the best characters in smash

half for the music he would bring, PM if you want me to send you the some of the best katamari song's

he's probably my biggest pipe dream.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I kind of wish I had a chance to play Billy Hatcher on the Gamecube. I really like the artstyle of the game. That should have been what the human characters in Sonic should look like. In fact IMO Billy is an honorary Sonic character since he's basically a Sonic character designed as a human. Especially as he's around their heights in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I said this in profile posts but Billy Hatcher is currently the only Gamecube game in my collection, So my collection is off to a perfect start.

In terms of a move set, I guess spawning eggs and using them to attack only to have them hatch into an animal minion that fights for you or an item that can add an affect to Billy would be really cool and unique for a character. Certain animals could even affect special attacks and neutral attacks.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Tell you what: I actually like Billy Hatcher, but I have no ******* clue how he'd work in Smash. I've yet to see any game that played like that - closest approximation I can make is Mario Sunshine + Katamari + Glover.

So... how do you think Billy would play? I'm in the mood to see concepts for characters I usually don't think about.
To be honest, I'm not the best at coming up with proper movesets, only really ideas on how the character can play. With that in mind, I had an idea for something like how Billy plays in his own game. On his own, he can't really do much, just run around and jump (though in Smash, he would at least be able to punch and kick as well). However, once he manages to get an egg, THEN he can get some good moves in. He can roll the egg normally, shoot it forward at enemies (which then comes back to him), a ground pound-bounce attack, etc.. As he fights, the egg will get bigger (in the game, this is done by collecting fruit, but I don't know how to incorporate that), causing it to do even more damage. Once it reaches full size, Billy can hatch it (please laugh), causing something to come out depending on the egg type. He can get either an Egg Animal, which basically doubles as a type of summon, or a type of hat that gives his attacks different elemental attributes. However, there IS a catch: the eggs are, naturally, very fragile, and can only take so much before they crack open and break, after which you'll be back to normal until you get another one.

I probably did a terrible job explaining that, but that's what I got.
I kind of wish I had a chance to play Billy Hatcher on the Gamecube. I really like the artstyle of the game. That should have been what the human characters in Sonic should look like. In fact IMO Billy is an honorary Sonic character since he's basically a Sonic character designed as a human. Especially as he's around their heights in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.
I mean, he pretty much is an unofficial Sonic character at this point, alongside NiGHTS and Amigo. He's shown up in more Sonic games than his own.

Though I don't think he's been in a game since Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. Didn't even come back for the sequal...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I said this in profile posts but Billy Hatcher is currently the only Gamecube game in my collection, So my collection is off to a perfect start.

In terms of a move set, I guess spawning eggs and using them to attack only to have them hatch into an animal minion that fights for you or an item that can add an affect to Billy would be really cool and unique for a character. Certain animals could even affect special attacks and neutral attacks.
To be honest, I'm not the best at coming up with proper movesets, only really ideas on how the character can play. With that in mind, I had an idea for something like how Billy plays in his own game. On his own, he can't really do much, just run around and jump (though in Smash, he would at least be able to punch and kick as well). However, once he manages to get an egg, THEN he can get some good moves in. He can roll the egg normally, shoot it forward at enemies (which then comes back to him), a ground pound-bounce attack, etc.. As he fights, the egg will get bigger (in the game, this is done by collecting fruit, but I don't know how to incorporate that), causing it to do even more damage. Once it reaches full size, Billy can hatch it (please laugh), causing something to come out depending on the egg type. He can get either an Egg Animal, which basically doubles as a type of summon, or a type of hat that gives his attacks different elemental attributes. However, there IS a catch: the eggs are, naturally, very fragile, and can only take so much before they crack open and break, after which you'll be back to normal until you get another one.

I probably did a terrible job explaining that, but that's what I got.
Makes a lot of sense, actually. I imagine the eggs would spawn on stage like Steve's Crafting Table, then? So Billy would basically have two distinct normal movesets: one for himself and one for when he's rolling an egg.

The Egg Animals you'd get would probably be specials then. Not all of them, but maybe just Clippen, Richie, Cipher and... the electric monkey, forgot what it's called.

What would be the stage, though? I'd argue Forest Village or Giant Palace would represent the game a bit better, but Blizzard Castle and Pirate's Island are the ones that made appearances in crossovers, so I dunno...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Makes a lot of sense, actually. I imagine the eggs would spawn on stage like Steve's Crafting Table, then? So Billy would basically have two distinct normal movesets: one for himself and one for when he's rolling an egg.

The Egg Animals you'd get would probably be specials then. Not all of them, but maybe just Clippen, Richie, Cipher and... the electric monkey, forgot what it's called.

What would be the stage, though? I'd argue Forest Village or Giant Palace would represent the game a bit better, but Blizzard Castle and Pirate's Island are the ones that made appearances in crossovers, so I dunno...
I DID consider a traveling stage of some kind, mostly going through the iconic locations, though I don't know how that would be incorporated. I will say, however, that I think there would be a day-night cycle involved for the background, like on Gaur Plain.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I DID consider a traveling stage of some kind, mostly going through the iconic locations, though I don't know how that would be incorporated. I will say, however, that I think there would be a day-night cycle involved for the background, like on Gaur Plain.
Hmm, sounds a bit complex. Not sure if we ever got a stage that traveled on that scale - most of them either: change only the background (Cloud Sea); are still set in the same general vicinity (Garreg Mach) or never land anywhere at all with full detail (Yggdrasil's Altar).

If we had to choose a single place, I'd go with either Giant Palace (the most important location in the game, and having the Giant Egg and possibly Dark Raven in the background could be interesting) or Blizzard Castle (it's iconic enough to get featured in both racing games and we have only one other ice level in Smash).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hmm, sounds a bit complex. Not sure if we ever got a stage that traveled on that scale - most of them either: change only the background (Cloud Sea); are still set in the same general vicinity (Garreg Mach) or never land anywhere at all with full detail (Yggdrasil's Altar).

If we had to choose a single place, I'd go with either Giant Palace (the most important location in the game, and having the Giant Egg and possibly Dark Raven in the background could be interesting) or Blizzard Castle (it's iconic enough to get featured in both racing games and we have only one other ice level in Smash).
Yeah, it probably would be either those two, or Forest Village assuming they want to continue the "first world" trend.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Every time someone takes Figure theory seriously, something exaggeratedly tragic happens.
I think it's more accurate to say they misinterpret the Figure Theorum as a way to determine future fighters. It's probably better used trying to envision how the characters will look, since Sakurai's confirmed they're used as a base when possible.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The

I think it's more accurate to say they misinterpret the Figure Theorum as a way to determine future fighters. It's probably better used trying to envision how the characters will look, since Sakurai's confirmed they're used as a base when possible.
Yep and much like the idea of glitch theory it's one of those things that cannot be used properly until the character is actually revealed or the theory doesn't apply and said theory is completely meaningless.

D

Deleted member

I binged the Ace Attorney trilogy and ngl I kind of want Phoenix now. It’s a shame all Capcom characters are hurting thanks to the latest Mii wave, although those just being timed ads and nothing more is just as likely as a full disconfirmation. Give me funny lawyer man with an Edgeworth echo now pls.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I binged the Ace Attorney trilogy and ngl I kind of want Phoenix now. It’s a shame all Capcom characters are hurting thanks to the latest Mii wave, although those just being timed ads and nothing more is just as likely as a full disconfirmation. Give me funny lawyer man with an Edgeworth echo now pls.
I really hope we can finally get AA 4-6 on Switch (and other modern systems) soon, speaking of.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just saying.

Even though I put about a 0% stock in the whole "Voice Menu" slot stuff.

Characters like Crash or Master Chief would 100% come with 2 voices almost assuredly. One for the fighter, and one for their helper, be it Aku Aku or Cortana. :4pacman:
Wait, that’s not how that works?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I have been thinking lately of the possibility that the Capcom Mii Fighter costumes weren’t released alongside a Capcom fighter, because there are several other Capcom costumes they have in store, and they released the Arthur and Monster Hunter Mii costumes at this time for promotional reasons.

For instance, I could see us getting someone like Chun-Li with some Street Fighter and Final Fight costumes. If he’s not playable a Dante costume would also be nice; he is a popular request, so some recognition of that would be nice. Also Phoenix Wright is probably my favorite video game protagonist, so I think his inclusion would be fantastic as well.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
We could talk about how many people are sleeping on another Konami character. Silent Hill and Contra are big ones but nothing is really stopping Big Boss or Raiden from showing up as well. The only thing Konami has gotten since Base is plastering the Bomberman assist over a Mii Costume so far.
Well, if we’re counting Capcom out of the running because of these recent Miis then the Bomberman costume would rule Konami out too. I know that’s not confirmed (& I’d like to see it disproven tbh), but there is some logic to that theory.

But I’d be down for Bill Rizer & especially Raiden. Metal Gear Rising is one of my favorite games ever, so I’d get so hype at Raiden. I think he’d feel a lot different from all of the other swordies too; that game had such a unique feel to it.

I think Contra should get a Mii costume at the very least. I think Contra & Ninja Gaiden are the last true legendary NES series not in yet, they’d be great fits. If not this game, then they definitely need to show up in the next one.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Just saying.

Even though I put about a 0% stock in the whole "Voice Menu" slot stuff.

Characters like Crash or Master Chief would 100% come with 2 voices almost assuredly. One for the fighter, and one for their helper, be it Aku Aku or Cortana. :4pacman:
Um AcKsHuAlLy

Characters like Rex, Morgana, Doc Louis etc. are part of their respective character's Voice menu.

(Crash and Master chief would be a pretty damn good finisher for the pass though.)

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I really doubt this sadly. Rockstar seems to pride theirselves on being independent & seemingly not selling out. They haven’t been to an E3 since around 2007. They also rarely merchandise their franchises even though GTA/Red Dead collectibles having the potential to make millions. I think you can only buy shirts directly from their website too.

I just can’t see them getting involved in Smash.
Exactly. It's really sad to say but Rockstar really doesn't really need anyone else. They love referencing everything from Sonic to James Bond but they don't overextend or actually crossover beyond their universe. It's one of the few characters I believe the developers wouldn't want in Smash. Alongside the creator of Yakuza who actually stated he didn't want that.

Rockstar and TakeTwo aren't totally against shilling out though. They have teamed up with brands like Twitch, Barking Irons, Red Bull, and Pandora for random little things. They also allowed these cursed Kubrick sets into the world. So I'd say it's not completely hopeless.

The last time Rockstar was at E3 I'm pretty sure was '09 with Red Dead Redemption. Yeah, they don't like showing up to events often since they just prefer making an announcement on their terms on Twitter or their website, similar to Nintendo. Recently, that one Sony conference did have Rockstar announce the new GTAV remaster for 2021. My hope is the Smash crossover is actually agreed on solely to get the average Nintendo fan to also be interested in GTA. It's like the one gaming demographic Rockstar hasn't truly cornered.

In '07 or '08, Rockstar did show up at Nintendo's show for GTA Chinatown Wars so that at least has some precedent for E3 collaborations between the two. Alongside GTA Advance and the original two 2D games on Nintendo, these smaller GTA games are all Nintendo fans have gotten.

While I don't see Nintendo being against GTA or Rockstar in Smash, I could totally see Rockstar being against it. I could see them reject being a part of a kids game on premise alone. Then again, they totally know how many kids play their games and many additions into GTA Online or Red Dead Redemption are very fantastical and weird in nature.

So maybe we at least get spirits or Miis???? Please?

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Seriously tho, why the **** hasn't Doshin got a spirit

With how comprehensive Ultimate's representation of misc. first-party stuff is and how he even got a trophy in Melee, you'd think he'd get something, but nope

My guy's one of the very few series represented throughout Smash history to not get anything in Ultimate, and the others are, like, BIT.TRIP, Tales and then stuff that's even more obscure than Doshin like Art Style and ThruSpace
that's because they're saving him for fp11 :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom