• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harada.

he's the guy who looked at Xenoblade 2's sales and then said "Xenosaga doesn't have enough interest", and "for a JRPG to sell 2mil it need's to have a high budget"

the one who thinks porting tales games to Nintendo (tales's biggest success in the west was on the gamecube of all consoles and it hasn't come close to that level of success in the west ever since) is not worth it compared to porting them on other consoles they historically have done just okay or straight up flopped. (tales is popular in Japan on PS systems and in the west it's popular with Nintendo systems, however now that Nintendo is the only relevant platform in japan what they're doing with arise is basically praying that the game randomly sells a ton on PC)

he got promoted few years ago which is why bamco has basically stopped all switch support except for cheap family games and taiko, not even he can create a logical explanation as to why playstation should be the home of taiko no tatsujin but if he could he would.

he is the guy who goes "Nintendo consoles are for kidz big boy's play on playstation". it's a shame we still have people like this in high places, it's the same thing with nagoshi (except he got demoted, apparently sony paid for all his dinners)
Harada actually said they did a market analysis. That's not the same as looking at another game's sales as a reference point. From what I've found, he first mentioned a failed market analysis for Xenosaga in 2014, long before Xenoblade 2 came out. He made another Tweet in 2019 mentioning the same, but I don't know if he's referring to the same event or something later. That's something to consider. He does have a more apologetic tone than usual when he's talked about Xenosaga, so I don't believe he's just been brushing the idea aside.

There's probably something with attitudes toward the Switch, but the Xenosaga stuff is a separate matter entirely.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As far as I can tell, it was the higher-ups at Bandai-Namco, not Harada specifically.

From what I can tell, the reasoning is that it's unclear if the game will sell well enough to make up for the cost of porting it, though the interview's kind of vague about that.
I for one would buy it

Bamco... what IS you doing... you know how Capcom had the reputation of being Crapcom or Cashcom early last decade

this decade it might as well be Bad Decisions Bandai Namco

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There's still Capcom characters left, for example:
  • Dante
  • Amaterasu
  • Phoenix Wright
  • And a couple of characters
Why is everyone saying that Mii costumes deconfirmed it?
This is most likely the last DLC, and they’d have saved all those Capcom costumes for a Capcom character

plus you’d think we’d have gotten a character from them by now

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Like it or not, the argument is perfectly solid, because it has precedence with Robin being selected over Chrom in Smash 4. Robin's tomes + swords combo was deemed more inherently interesting than Chrom who only had swords, so Robin got prioritized. In this case, Lloyd's twin blades would be more inherently unique than Yuri's single sword.
Ok
Wont stop me from still thinking its a weak ass argument

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Sorry... excuse me? Real status doesn't matter? I mean, put Reimu aside for a second; status determines which characters get in. Their popularity, prevalence, impact, recency... that's status. Real status is everything that matters.
Do not ask. Just accept.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
This is most likely the last DLC, and they’d have saved all those Capcom costumes for a Capcom character

plus you’d think we’d have gotten a character from them by now
Well to be fair that mii costume wave was odd as it only had costumes to promote Capcom's newest games with a March release. Capcom probably paid Nintendo to do that.

Ivander

Smash Legend
With the inclusion of the Monster Hunter and Ghosts' n Goblins Costumes, Capcom has just gained its domination: this third-party company is the most represented by Fighters + AT/Boss + Mii Costumes + Spirit Board events. Moreover, Capcom will probably also get a new Spirit Board event with Monster Hunter Rise. Now only another Sega or Square Enix rep with new Costumes would be the way not to let Capcom dominate the third-party representation.

View attachment 307107
Companies​
Fighters​
AT/Boss​
Mii
Costumes​
Spirit Board
events​
Total​
Total owned series​
other: Spirits​
Sega​
3​
4​
8​
0​
15​
4​
56​
Capcom​
3​
5​
8​
2​
5​
69​
Square Enix​
3​
0​
9​
3​
15​
6​
46​
We're not including Konami? I mean, sure, they don't have that much content compared to those 3 due to lack of Mii Costumes, but Konami does have at least 4 owned series in Smash, being Metal Gear, Castlevania, Bomberman and Goemon.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
We're not including Konami? I mean, sure, they don't have that much content compared to those 3 due to lack of Mii Costumes, but Konami does have at least 4 owned series in Smash, being Metal Gear, Castlevania, Bomberman and Goemon.
Off the top of my head, I think they have a total of 12, with 3 fighters, 3 ATs, 2 mii costumes, and 4 total series in Smash. This is a lot, sure, but also a lot less than Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Off the top of my head, I think they have a total of 12, with 3 fighters, 3 ATs, 2 mii costumes, and 4 total series in Smash. This is a lot, sure, but also a lot less than Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix.
And 1 boss, making it actually 13. Or does Dracula not count because....well, Dracula(despite Castlevania's Dracula being a different character and having a different backstory from book Dracula).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And 1 boss, making it actually 13. Or does Dracula not count because....well, Dracula(despite Castlevania's Dracula being a different character and having a different backstory from book Dracula).
Castlevania pretty much turned the Count into your standard magical evil overlord going as a vampire for Halloween, ability-wise. They also gave him a more tragic backstory and relationship with Alucard and the Belmonts. I'd say we can count him for Konami.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Castlevania pretty much turned the Count into your standard magical evil overlord going as a vampire for Halloween, ability-wise. They also gave him a more tragic backstory and relationship with Alucard and the Belmonts. I'd say we can count him for Konami.
I'm not sure why we wouldn't count him. Dracula has many different incarnations but that can be said about a lot of things. The Dracula from Castlevania is unique to Castlevania and is, obviously, a Castlevania character. If we were talking about the Dracula being included in Smash was, somehow, Bram Stoker's characterization of Dracula than...yeah, it wouldn't be a point in Konami's corner.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
This thread

"Gah, I'm soo ****ing sick and tired of discussing the same 4-6 characters all the time..."

"Well we could discuss thi---"

"Nah why bother they have no chance anyway Crash."

:drshrug:

Like, what's the harm of discussing these "no chance" characters for fun, if nothing else? Because for as much as people claim to be sick of talking about the "front runners", they're sure quick to default back to discussing them.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We could talk about how many people are sleeping on another Konami character. Silent Hill and Contra are big ones but nothing is really stopping Big Boss or Raiden from showing up as well. The only thing Konami has gotten since Base is plastering the Bomberman assist over a Mii Costume so far.

Shroob

Sup?
We could talk about how many people are sleeping on another Konami character. Silent Hill and Contra are big ones but nothing is really stopping Big Boss or Raiden from showing up as well. The only thing Konami has gotten since Base is plastering the Bomberman assist over a Mii Costume so far.
Give me Raiden.

I need RULES OF NATURE in Smash.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I support Raiden because he would come with Metal Gear Rising music and that would make me ascend.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think Contra could have a shot. Franchise is not in the best spot right now, but then again, I don't think Mega Man was either during Smash 4 - and Banjo-Kazooie and Castlevania still kinda aren't.

For SH... dunno, I think if RE couldn't make it in spite of being more action-oriented as a horror series, I'm not confident in it at all.

With all that said, I think we'll probably see at least one new company in the last two slots. My bet is on CP10, personally.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not sure why we wouldn't count him. Dracula has many different incarnations but that can be said about a lot of things. The Dracula from Castlevania is unique to Castlevania and is, obviously, a Castlevania character. If we were talking about the Dracula being included in Smash was, somehow, Bram Stoker's characterization of Dracula than...yeah, it wouldn't be a point in Konami's corner.
Funnily enough, Stoker's novel was actually made a part of Castlevania canon with Castlevania: Bloodlines for the Sega Genesis. Even if CV's Drac has grown into his own incarnation of the character, he technically still is the Bram Stoker Dracula, too.
This thread

"Gah, I'm soo ****ing sick and tired of discussing the same 4-6 characters all the time..."

Like, what's the harm of discussing these "no chance" characters for fun, if nothing else? Because for as much as people claim to be sick of talking about the "front runners", they're sure quick to default back to discussing them.
^^^^^^
Maybe I should let go by now, but I'm still kinda irked over the Touhou talk being forcibly ground to a halt. It's fun to just dump out all my knowledge of a series and ping ideas off each other, but I guess likelihood's tied to any discussion of a character for some people. Maybe they're just skimming over everything and not getting the full story, which is understandable because not everybody has the reading stamina to go over the last couple pages. Even then, it's pretty irritating to be talking about someone I like, only to just be told "They have no chance, you're on the way to disappointment, I didn't know about them before now so it can't be that big," etc. We weren't even talking about likelihood back then, just exchanging ideas and discussing how the series works. Who cares about likelihood, we're allowed to just speculate on the what if, right? It's right there in the name; DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II.

Miffed, I am indeed.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Funnily enough, Stoker's novel was actually made a part of Castlevania canon with Castlevania: Bloodlines for the Sega Genesis. Even if CV's Drac has grown into his own incarnation of the character, he technically still is the Bram Stoker Dracula, too.

^^^^^^
Maybe I should let go by now, but I'm still kinda irked over the Touhou talk being forcibly ground to a halt. It's fun to just dump out all my knowledge of a series and ping ideas off each other, but I guess likelihood's tied to any discussion of a character for some people. Maybe they're just skimming over everything and not getting the full story, which is understandable because not everybody has the reading stamina to go over the last couple pages. Even then, it's pretty irritating to be talking about someone I like, only to just be told "They have no chance, you're on the way to disappointment, I didn't know about them before now so it can't be that big," etc. We weren't even talking about likelihood back then, just exchanging ideas and discussing how the series works. Who cares about likelihood, we're allowed to just speculate on the what if, right? It's right there in the name; DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II.

Miffed, I am indeed.
i mean, we could all talk about doshin the giant for a page and see how that turns out.

image_2021-03-13_191400.png

Discuss

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This thread

Just wait until Balan Wonderworld releases. I'll be talking about it then even more than I do now.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
i mean, we could all talk about doshin the giant for a page and see how that turns out.

View attachment 307124

Discuss
Somewhat related, I want to see them experiment with a huge fighter. Everyone has had to adhere to this unspoken 'must-fit-under-a-battlefield-platform' rule--even Ridley--but I don't think it's strictly necessary. While obviously not balanced for normal play, Giga Bowser was playable in Brawl and 4 through Bowser's Final Smash, and nobody complained about it feeling 'off'. If anyone could make it work, it's Sakurai.

So make Rathalos playable, give Ridley growth hormones, idk. It would be dope.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

^^^^^^

Miffed, I am indeed.
Like, I can get thinking a character is unlikely, sure, I get that, I remember someone, perhaps jokingly, mentioning Billy Hatcher a few pages ago, and while I think most people can agree that that's not happening... I mean, there's no harm in talking about him, if only for fun.

But to then be soo adamant about "Nope, not happening".... like, where's the fun in that, ya know? Who called the Speculation Cops? :drshrug:

If people wanna talk about a character they think could happen, but you don't, just... let them? Like, what exactly is the harm in that? If people wanna nerd out for a few pages over a series that they like, I don't see the issue. If it doesn't interest you, well, sorry, that's tough. A lot of topics here don't interest me, but I either just ignore them, or join the conversation for the hell of it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Like, I can get thinking a character is unlikely, sure, I get that, I remember someone, perhaps jokingly, mentioning Billy Hatcher a few pages ago, and while I think most people can agree that that's not happening... I mean, there's no harm in talking about him, if only for fun.

But to then be soo adamant about "Nope, not happening".... like, where's the fun in that, ya know? Who called the Speculation Cops? :drshrug:

If people wanna talk about a character they think could happen, but you don't, just... let them? Like, what exactly is the harm in that? If people wanna nerd out for a few pages over a series that they like, I don't see the issue. If it doesn't interest you, well, sorry, that's tough. A lot of topics here don't interest me, but I either just ignore them, or join the conversation for the hell of it.
That was probably me. I think I'm the only one here who wants Billy Hatcher in Smash. Or at least, it feels like it...

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

View attachment 307124

Discuss
Seriously tho, why the **** hasn't Doshin got a spirit

With how comprehensive Ultimate's representation of misc. first-party stuff is and how he even got a trophy in Melee, you'd think he'd get something, but nope

My guy's one of the very few series represented throughout Smash history to not get anything in Ultimate, and the others are, like, BIT.TRIP, Tales and then stuff that's even more obscure than Doshin like Art Style and ThruSpace

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Somewhat related, I want to see them experiment with a huge fighter. Everyone has had to adhere to this unspoken 'must-fit-under-a-battlefield-platform' rule--even Ridley--but I don't think it's strictly necessary. While obviously not balanced for normal play, Giga Bowser was playable in Brawl and 4 through Bowser's Final Smash, and nobody complained about it feeling 'off'. If anyone could make it work, it's Sakurai.

So make Rathalos playable, give Ridley growth hormones, idk. It would be dope.
He is Nintendo 1st party so i think he isn't impossible, he's one of the characters that came from the ERA when Nintendo decide to make a ton of new ip's even though only two of the stuck (pikmin and animal crossing) out of all the other ones (custom robo, chibi robo, cubivoere nd other ones i don't care about) he's probably the least likely, however miyamoto did create him so maybe he can get al eg above the rest like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom