• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Here's a thought of mine:

Since some people consider Smash 3DS and Wii U as 2 individual games and thus Ultimate can be referred as "Smash 6", how Ultimate's successor should be nicknamed as in the speculative scene in order to prevent confusion?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Here's an interesting question, if indeed the rest of the pass is in fact only in companies that were in the first (Nintendo, Sega, SE, Microsoft, SNK) how would you fill the last two spots with just those five as choices?

Gonna go with some dark horse choices with mine, with Beat from Jet Set Radio from Sega & the Battletoads from Microsoft.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's an interesting question, if indeed the rest of the pass is in fact only in companies that were in the first (Nintendo, Sega, SE, Microsoft, SNK) how would you fill the last two spots with just those five as choices?

Gonna go with some dark horse choices with mine, with Beat from Jet Set Radio from Sega & the Battletoads from Microsoft.
Neku (The World Ends With You, Square Enix) and Octoling (Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion, Nintendo)

i would normally put Elma in Octoling's place, but unless she uses the X from Xenoblade X for her logo instead of the Monado that spirit board selection's gonna look real awkward

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace

Since some people consider Smash 3DS and Wii U as 2 individual games and thus Ultimate can be referred as "Smash 6", how Ultimate's successor should be nicknamed as in the speculative scene in order to prevent confusion?
Smash 6. I consider 3ds/wii u the same game so both are Smash 4.

or whatever its title is: SSB, SSBM, SSBB, SSB4, SSBU, SSB?

Impa (AoC) and Master Chief

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Given we pretty much near our end of Ultimate speculation. When did you guys think it was at its best and funnest?
I'm gonna say Summer 2018, specifically the time between E3 and Isabelle's announcement. The craziness of both E3 and the 8/8 Direct really made it feel like anything could happen. It was a lot of fun to see everyone discussing and exchanging new ideas, rather than sticking to a handful of dominant candidates the entire time.

The part I remember thinking was not so fun was the leak discussions and leak wars. However, even that was relatively subdued compared to later periods of speculation where leak chasing reigned supreme.

Honestly? I would double dip into Nintendo for Ayumi Tachibana and Bandana Waddle Dee. I know, I'm weird.

If I need at least one third party, I'd drop Ayumi and sub her out with Kiryu or Dr. Eggman.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Impa (the Age of Calamity version would be ideal, though I'd be fine with the Impa from Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, or Hyrule Warriors) and Master Chief. (if this is the last character being added to Smash Bros. Ultimate, I'd like to think that they'd go out with a huge megaton announcement, and "Super Smash Bros. X Halo" definitely fits that bill)

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Axel Stone from Streets of Rage (Sega) and Ark from Terranigma (Square Enix). Easy question.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I have been thinking lately of the possibility that the Capcom Mii Fighter costumes weren’t released alongside a Capcom fighter, because there are several other Capcom costumes they have in store, and they released the Arthur and Monster Hunter Mii costumes at this time for promotional reasons.

For instance, I could see us getting someone like Chun-Li with some Street Fighter and Final Fight costumes. If he’s not playable a Dante costume would also be nice; he is a popular request, so some recognition of that would be nice. Also Phoenix Wright is probably my favorite video game protagonist, so I think his inclusion would be fantastic as well.
While I do believe a Capcom character is now an unlikely option, I still think it was weird how Sakurai addresed the last wave of costumes. Maybe my bias is playing a part here, but it made me think that maybe Capcom got 4 costumes because for promotional reasons. Monster Hunter Rise and the new Ghost and Goblins.
That's why I think Capcom could have a chance for the remaining two slots. We didn't get costumes for Phoenix, Dante or Chun-Li, but costumes for MH and GnG, which just got new games, so the entire costume wave as kind of promotional.

Meaning that the only time to release those costumes was now with Pyra and Mythra, even if a Capcom character is CP10 or CP11.

Exactly. It's really sad to say but Rockstar really doesn't really need anyone else. They love referencing everything from Sonic to James Bond but they don't overextend or actually crossover beyond their universe. It's one of the few characters I believe the developers wouldn't want in Smash. Alongside the creator of Yakuza who actually stated he didn't want that.
Maybe I misunderstood you but Nagoshi, creator and producer of Yakuza, has never said AFAIK that he doesn't want Kiryu in Smash. Quite the opposite, actually. But when he was asked about Smash he stated he didn't believe Sakurai would be interested in putting Kiryu in Smash.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
We could talk about how many people are sleeping on another Konami character. Silent Hill and Contra are big ones but nothing is really stopping Big Boss or Raiden from showing up as well. The only thing Konami has gotten since Base is plastering the Bomberman assist over a Mii Costume so far.
Or we can talk about a character thst is never talked about or given a chance like Don-chan s/

Layton but if he doesn't count for nintendo for some reason for people, Silver for sega and Sora for SE

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Given we pretty much near our end of Ultimate speculation. When did you guys think it was at its best and funnest?
Augst 8th Direct. Best reveal of all time.

I remember August 7th when Galaga Medley was renamed to Bloody Tears/Monster Dance, and i was so excited that Simon was gonna get in Smash that i started making a big ass essay for him like Chronobound did for the Ridley reveal. Needless to say i was estatic when Simon was revealed, and it still is my favorite gaming announcement so far, not even K.Rool's reveal topped it in my opinion.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
We could talk about how many people are sleeping on another Konami character. Silent Hill and Contra are big ones but nothing is really stopping Big Boss or Raiden from showing up as well. The only thing Konami has gotten since Base is plastering the Bomberman assist over a Mii Costume so far.
But... wouldn't they save Bomberman for the Konami character? Because Hudson Soft doesn't exist anymore...

We COULD talk about a hypothetical Balan Wonderworld Spirit Event. I mean, after all...

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Anything pre-release was great. Obviously Grinch leak was particularly nutty.

Though I also thought the SNK guessing game was pretty fun, as we don’t normally get leaks like that. Knowing that SNK was likely gonna get a character without knowing exactly who was really interesting. Between Terry, Kyo, Iori, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, etc. SNK was the perfect company for that kind of leak. It would have been nice for Terry’s reveal to have been a complete surprise, but the leak still made for a fun couple of days.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

Arle and 2B

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The summer period between the August and September 2018 directs was the peak

Though I do feel like while most of that post-November Direct period kinda sucked, there was a fun aspect to it that's pretty underrated these days IMO - people hunting down all the new music and spirits in whatever footage we could find. Since the pre-release info cycle was effectively over, the game was having footage shown at various events and official streams and people used this as an opportunity to find as much new music and spirits as possible and it was such a good time. Spirits in particular are worth mentioning cause Smash 4 had completely cut off a bunch of misc. Nintendo IP representation for no good reason, so seeing all these smaller games get something again plus seeing all the new crazy deep cuts they made was outright magical.

And then the game straight-up leaked, and we got to hear all the new remixes early and my god

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My two would be Master Chief and Sora both characters have a huge fan base and would be a fun way to end out Ultimate
Layton but if he doesn't count for nintendo for some reason for people, Silver for sega and Sora for SE
Sora's owned by Disney, isn't he? That's how it seems, going by the copyright info at the start of the Kingdom Hearts games.

Technomage

Smash Champion

Hmmm, I'm going to pick SEGA and SNK, since the other 3 already got at least 1 character this pass.

For the SNK rep, I'll pick Marco from Metal Slug, since Terry's pack pretty much has all of SNK's franchises covered, except for not having that much Metal Slug content, as well as the fact that Marco would be more likely to have a different moveset than another fighting game SNK character would.

For the SEGA/Atlus rep, I'd pick the Imperial (with all 4 portrait templates as alternate costumes) from Etrian Odyssey 4, since it uses a vibroblade (my favorite kind of weapon), and its the kind of vibroblade that can yield a lot of potential for a unique moveset, moreso than other kinds of vibroblades. Plus, Drive Blades are arguably the EO series's most iconic weapons.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Pretty easy for me, my two most wanted characters fall under this criteria so the easy answer would be Chorus Kids and Arle.

Although I really like the prospect of Arle and Master Chief too. One for the east and one for the west, plus probably two of the most significant genres missing from the roster. The juxtaposition of cute goofy girl and stoic seasoned marine is the kind of exciting variety that I really want to see too.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
The ride up to Banjo at E3 2019 was pretty much the absolute peak of this game for me.
Honestly, same. Strictly because Banjo was endgame for me ha.

But also just the "story arc" of it all, I guess. The insane suspense of the original Inkling teaser. The mind-blowing hype of "EVERYONE IS HERE". Seeing Cloud and Snake come back despite all odds. Seeing Ridley and K. Rool finally make it in despite all odds. The hope of the Grinch leak, the punch to the gut of Incineroar's reveal, the hilarious troll move of Piranha Plant. Then Joker's absolutely game-changing announcement.

All of this, on top of twenty whole years of hoping, knowing that this was going to be their biggest, best, and possibly only shot at finally joining the roster, only to have that E3 bait-and-switch with Hero's trailer airing first, just....man. What an insane and satisfying rollercoaster that was.

Don't get me wrong, I obviously still care about new reveals. I also got disappointed at Byleth and have been popping off hard at the entirely of FP2. It just all feels like coasting now, like I'm smooth sailing until the very end. And I think the dramatic ups and downs leading to E3 2019 made it just that much more memorable.

...And I know people ultimately found their moveset campy and low-tier, but man I still sometimes go back and watch stuff like this. It's been nearly two years now and it's still so surreal haha.

ezgif-4-ce6d17355a25.gif

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, same. Strictly because Banjo was endgame for me ha.

But also just the "story arc" of it all, I guess. The insane suspense of the original Inkling teaser. The mind-blowing hype of "EVERYONE IS HERE". Seeing Cloud and Snake come back despite all odds. Seeing Ridley and K. Rool finally make it in despite all odds. The hope of the Grinch leak, the punch to the gut of Incineroar's reveal, the hilarious troll move of Piranha Plant. Then Joker's absolutely game-changing announcement.

All of this, on top of twenty whole years of hoping, knowing that this was going to be their biggest, best, and possibly only shot at finally joining the roster, only to have that E3 bait-and-switch with Hero's trailer airing first, just....man. What an insane and satisfying rollercoaster that was.

Don't get me wrong, I obviously still care about new reveals. I also got disappointed at Byleth and have been popping off hard at the entirely of FP2. It just all feels like coasting now, like I'm smooth sailing until the very end. And I think the dramatic ups and downs leading to E3 2019 made it just that much more memorable.

...And I know people ultimately found their moveset campy and low-tier, but man I still sometimes go back and watch stuff like this. It's been nearly two years now and it's still so surreal haha.

View attachment 307220
The Banjo reveal was a case of such a long story coming to fruition. The series early success' on the N64, the heartbreak of the Rare buyout, the controversy over Nuts and Bolts, its gradual fading into general irrelevance in the decade after, and the wonder as more third parties got into Smash if Banjo & Kazooie could really get their shot. Then the fighter's pass comes along, the Phil Spencer tweets get referenced, the back and forth about whether the leaks/rumors coming out were legit or not, and so on.

It was such a remarkable event of so many things coming together, with even the infamous wars about Banjo vs Steve getting a heartwarming postscript with the latter getting in himself and negotiations for him likely being the reason we managed to get the former. Given that Smash is often infamous for being framed as one party winning vs another losing, in the end the whole thing felt like a victory for everybody.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
It was such a remarkable event of so many things coming together, with even the infamous wars about Banjo vs Steve getting a heartwarming postscript with the latter getting in himself and negotiations for him likely being the reason we managed to get the former. Given that Smash is often infamous for being framed as one party winning vs another losing, in the end the whole thing felt like a victory for everybody.
This really is an underappreciated chapter in the whole "B&K's Road to Smash" saga. It's a great example of Ultimate's "everyone is here" thesis and also brought together two completely different fanbases in its own weird little way.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
pre-release probably, though i feel i never truly got anyone i wanted still. aside from Snake returning after being absent in 4, which solved that and more with EVERYONE IS HERE. I voted for Snake on the ballot on one of my at the time three devices (mobile, home pc, work pc). Fiora was a vote from the work PC and she was revealed to be in Shulk's Final Smash. I knew that was it for her, even when Chrom was revealed to be playable and also in Robin's FS and victory screen, so I shifted to other supports, including Neku who was my home PC vote, and Elma. With Pythra it's extremely doubtful I'll get the latter, but if there'll be a double dip this pass I kinda would really like to see Neku even after Sephiroth was revealed.

Min Min and Isabelle were just "oh they'd be nice to have" but not hardcore supports of mine. I did pick up several new supports during DLC though, like Octoling (started wanting them after beating Octo Expansion and winning Final Fest with my Chaos Veemo(TM)), Reimu Hakurei, Ahri, and Gunvolt. It would be nice if I could get at least one of those four and/or Neku as part of the final two.

im happy for everyone who got who they truly wanted... i haven't had that experience yet :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Impa and Isaac.

Am so proud to see Impa being requested a few times before I got to post too <3

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

Honestly I think the next one will just go back to square one and be called Super Smash Bros or simply Smash Bros. I'm not sure if they will do a subtitle again or if they do what they'll go with since they've pretty much given up on the 'theme' after Melee/Brawl. Even Smash 4 didn't have a subtitle. Ultimate is fitting cuz...it's the ultimate version to date.

So if they 'go back to form' with a psuedo reboot they might just restart with the naming conventions. If they go further than ever after Ultimate with the next one I can't even begin to imagine what they'd title it.

SKX31

Smash Master
The ride up to Banjo at E3 2019 was pretty much the absolute peak of this game for me.
It was a high point for me personally (as someone who enjoyed both N64 B-K games as a kid), but as a trailer I honestly rank :ultjoker: and:ultsephiroth: higher. I honestly felt a bit sour that :ultbanjokazooie: turned out rather undertuned - because I really wanted to like playing as them - but that's far, far from the end of the world when that can be fixed in future patches / games. I'm of the opinion that the duo just need QoL fixes to their CQC's frame data and they'll be in a good spot.

And as a moment in Ultimate's history... I'm a competitive-leaning guy, so I'm of course going to give a moment in a tournament the top spot. Namely EVO 2019's Grand Finals. The first set was not only incredibly fun and nerve-wracking to watch, but also solidified the victor - MKLeo - as a transformative player. The only bad spot with that Grand Finals is the commentary... yeeeesh.

I'd 100 % go for Chief and Arle in that scenario. Not the first to say it, but would cover a lot of bases and give an interesting contrast - both gameplay-wise and as characters.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I think the early days with Joker. His appearance as the first really set the mood and opened us to a whole new world of possibilities, it was pretty great!
I remember back then not having a clue what Persona was and not really caring about this Joker kid being our first DLC...

...until I did a little digging and realized how much his reveal completely changed the speculation game. And seeing everyone (myself included) go from hoping for safe picks like Edelgard and Rex to watching the floodgates just explode open.

That was a crazy time. Especially since the gap between his announcement and the next two was so long. We all had so much time to hype as irresponsibly as we could haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom