• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
That's a Hell I don't want to live in.
Don't you want to hear Mythra's "BLEH!"* whenever she uses an aerial constantly combined with 8 Pyras spamming Blazing End / Prominence revolt + 8 Rexes (regardless of whether his playable appearance is mostly cheerleading or actually doing stuff)? :4pacman:

*(I swear this is what she says, just as I swear that Sothis yells "The end of Brisbane!" whenever Byleth's FS hits the opponent(s). No, I have no clue why Sothis would have a massive vendetta against that Australian city - but it's my headcanon now.)

oh yeah

speaking of Switch Pro/Super Switch God the name "Switch Pro" REALLY rubs me the wrong way like stop trying to copy PS4 Pro what else would an Ult DX/Encore benefit from on Super Switch aside from improved graphics and processing power? perhaps more complex characters?
Hypotheoretically, more modes, but that's probably not going to happen. If anything, more integration with the modes online (it's a major shame that the current online does not support either Squad Strike or Smashdown) would be nice. In addition to an overhaul of the online to begin with.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
By the way, I just felt like mapping out every company's current DLC situation to determine which company may be the most "ripe" to see something new. It's not foolproof, but it's just something worth considering. Maybe it could be helpful!

Konami - No Character, New Costumes in FP1 and FP2
SEGA - Joker in FP1, Returning and New Costumes in FP1 with Joker, Nothing in FP2
CAPCOM - No Character, Returning Costumes scattered through FP1 and FP2, New Costume in FP2
Bandai-Namco - No Character, Returning Costumes scattered through FP2 with Lloyd still absent
Square-Enix - Two Characters, Returning Costumes with Hero in FP1 and Sephiroth in FP2
Microsoft - Two Characters, New Costumes with Steve in FP2
SNK - One Character, New Costumes with Terry in FP1, Nothing in FP2

Konami and Capcom have seen their costumes, old and new, scattered throughout multiple batches between two passes. Their situation is probably the most damning. Namco isn't far behind, and being regulated specifically to FP2 does them no favors, but Lloyd is still a factor.

Square and Microsoft have been treated kindly. There's still potential for more content, but they've got the most love so far.

Sega and SNK are the only two companies absent from FP2. Out of these, Sega is the only returning company to have no content in FP2. It's pretty obvious that this is because Sega's costumes have already fully returned from FP1 (with new Persona costumes in tow), but nonetheless they've been the most absent for the longest period of time.

SNK is in a bit of a weird spot since Terry essentially carries the whole company on his shoulders. So it's a bit difficult to imagine them getting something else in FP2 (as much as I'd love to see Metal Slug get proper representation).

Summary:
It feels like Sega is in the best position to receive something new. Additional first-party characters are always a variable, and I don't think Microsoft and SE are necessarily 100% done for... not to mention brand new companies getting involved. But I just felt like working this out and seeing where we're at.

Especially since all of FP2 thus far has been from companies - and even series - that are already involved (and already got DLC). That's a precedent that can be broken any day now, but it's one that I feel shouldn't be dismissed since we've gone four characters with it intact. So yeah, food for thought.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Considering that the Ys fighting game didn't even have Toal I think it's safe to say he's got a loooooong line to wait for Falcom characters but I just played his story and goddamn. Ys Origin is on the Switch so y'all have no excuse for trying it lol
To be fair, Alternate Fate heavily reused characters from Ys Seven. Chester was the only Ys character to not have appeared in that game. Think Falcom's efforts mainly went to the Trails characters.

Side note, to anyone curious, I'd recommend playing Ys I and II before Origins. It heavily used callbacks (Callforwards?) and references, reusing a lot of bosses and plot devices. The first two games go by pretty quickly, too, so it shouldn't be too hard to get through them (Save for Dark Fact. Brr...)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
8 Rexes and 8 Pyras simultaneously.
And 8 Mythras.
That's a Hell I don't want to live in.
Don't you want to hear Mythra's "BLEH!"* whenever she uses an aerial constantly combined with 8 Pyras spamming Blazing End / Prominence revolt + 8 Rexes (regardless of whether his playable appearance is mostly cheerleading or actually doing stuff)? :4pacman:

*(I swear this is what she says, just as I swear that Sothis yells "The end of Brisbane!" whenever Byleth's FS hits the opponent(s). No, I have no clue why Sothis would have a massive vendetta against that Australian city - but it's my headcanon now.)
You know... these posts made a question pop into my head.

How toxic will Pyra and Mythra Doubles be? Because then we get all of the pros for both of them at the same time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
By the way, I just felt like mapping out every company's current DLC situation to determine which company may be the most "ripe" to see something new. It's not foolproof, but it's just something worth considering. Maybe it could be helpful!

SEGA - Joker in FP1, Returning and New Costumes in FP1 with Joker, Nothing in FP2
CAPCOM - No Character, Returning Costumes scattered through FP1 and FP2, New Costume in FP2
Bandai-Namco - No Character, Returning Costumes scattered through FP2 with Lloyd still absent
Square-Enix - Two Characters, Returning Costumes with Hero in FP1 and Sephiroth in FP2

Konami and Capcom have seen their costumes, old and new, scattered throughout multiple batches between two passes. Their situation is probably the most damning. Namco isn't far behind, and being regulated specifically to FP2 does them no favors, but Lloyd is still a factor.

Square and Microsoft have been treated kindly. There's still potential for more content, but they've got the most love so far.

Sega and SNK are the only two companies absent from FP2. Out of these, Sega is the only returning company to have no content in FP2. It's pretty obvious that this is because Sega's costumes have already fully returned from FP1 (with new Persona costumes in tow), but nonetheless they've been the most absent for the longest period of time.

SNK is in a bit of a weird spot since Terry essentially carries the whole company on his shoulders. So it's a bit difficult to imagine them getting something else in FP2 (as much as I'd love to see Metal Slug get proper representation).

Summary:
It feels like Sega is in the best position to receive something new. Additional first-party characters are always a variable, and I don't think Microsoft and SE are necessarily 100% done for... not to mention brand new companies getting involved. But I just felt like working this out and seeing where we're at.

Especially since all of FP2 thus far has been from companies - and even series - that are already involved (and already got DLC). That's a precedent that can be broken any day now, but it's one that I feel shouldn't be dismissed since we've gone four characters with it intact. So yeah, food for thought.
I think something not to overlook with Sega is by the end of the first pass they already received an entire “DLC’s worth” of content, at one character and eight costumes. There’s no rule that the content has to be distributed evenly. I mean, Namco had zero content in the first pass.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

How toxic will Pyra and Mythra Doubles be? Because then we get all of the pros for both of them at the same time.
Depends on how popular doubles becomes. Unlike Melee or even Smash 4, Ultimate Doubles don't seem to be heavily emphasized. Feels like it's been that way since launch. Our locals before Covid had doubles all through the life of Smash 4 and still does for Melee. Since Ultimate dropped...I can't recall more than one or two events even HAVING the doubles option for Ultimate.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think something not to overlook with Sega is by the end of the first pass they already received an entire “DLC’s worth” of content, at one character and eight costumes. There’s no rule that the content has to be distributed evenly. I mean, Namco had zero content in the first pass.
Yeah, of course. I did address that the reason for Sega's absence is likely in large part to that - hopefully it didn't come across like I was trying to establish an imaginary rule. I just thought it was worth addressing Sega's situation at large and that it could at least provide some interesting discussion / perspective.

I think the observation that the majority of our FP2 content has been within the bounds of the companies we've already gotten content from helps Sega's case though. Again, it's susceptible to being broken at any time, but Sega's got more than enough to offer (compared to SNK where Terry uses the full gauntlet) where the potential is at least there for them to double dip on DLC like their fellow FP1-mates. And it's just in the unique situation of having that much untapped without sporadic costume drops or characters already present in FP2.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think they're toxic in doubles. They're definitely really good don't get me wrong, but toxic? I don't think a character with a poor recovery and lack of cheese can be toxic. They don't have anything like thunderbucket, self healing, aura tanking, or limit break to abuse, it's just being able to utilize a top tier like Mythra while being able to swap to Pyra for team combos + solid setup throws. Ofc once offline play comes back this could blow up in my face and swap itself would be considered cheese but :4pacman:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Here's an interesting question, if indeed the rest of the pass is in fact only in companies that were in the first (Nintendo, Sega, SE, Microsoft, SNK) how would you fill the last two spots with just those five as choices?

Gonna go with some dark horse choices with mine, with Beat from Jet Set Radio from Sega & the Battletoads from Microsoft.
Bandana Dee, and Eggman since Tails is a Mii

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, of course. I did address that the reason for Sega's absence is likely in large part to that - hopefully it didn't come across like I was trying to establish an imaginary rule. I just thought it was worth addressing Sega's situation at large and that it could at least provide some interesting discussion / perspective.

I think the observation that the majority of our FP2 content has been within the bounds of the companies we've already gotten content from helps Sega's case though. Again, it's susceptible to being broken at any time, but Sega's got more than enough to offer (compared to SNK where Terry uses the full gauntlet) where the potential is at least there for them to double dip on DLC like their fellow FP1-mates. And it's just in the unique situation of having that much untapped without sporadic costume drops or characters already present in FP2.
I’m also inclined to think we’ll see something from Sega that isn’t a 2nd Sonic character. I’m still hopeful for Kiryu but my gut tells me that Arle is coming.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m also inclined to think we’ll see something from Sega that isn’t a 2nd Sonic character. I’m still hopeful for Kiryu but my gut tells me that Arle is coming.
Sakura Shinguji

Strolls away whistling as the thread bursts into flame debating a popular but extremely Japan-centric character

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Summary:

I think in this case, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is Really about to live up to it's name

I think it's also possible that Sol Badguy could be a Mii costume for hypothetical Sega character, since Sega did own Guilty Gear for like 7 years when they merged with Sammy apparently, so perhaps they could reference that relation. this is also in the case Sol is not Playable himself

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think in this case, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is Really about to live up to it's name

I think it's also possible that Sol Badguy could be a Mii costume for hypothetical Sega character, since Sega did own Guilty Gear for like 7 years when they merged with Sammy apparently, so perhaps they could reference that relation. this is also in the case Sol is not Playable himself
This doesn’t seem right to me. Sega owning guilty gear is like ArcSys dark past I doubt they’d want it referenced.

Sakura Shinguji

Strolls away whistling as the thread bursts into flame debating a popular but extremely Japan-centric character
id be down for her!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm so tempted to make a "Sakura is popular?" joke...
For Japan, at least. Sakura Wars is pretty darn big over there, and the brand's been put into just about every form of media. The problem is that the popularity is pretty much concentrated solely in Japan, so Nintendo would have to be aiming for Japanese audiences specifically for Sakura to be added. It's pretty much Touhou's situation made more in line with most other game franchises, only to have the lopsided, region-centric nature ramped up to eleven.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Sega could so easily follow Square Enix's path in regards to DLC, especially given how much they've paralleled with characters in the last six or so years::

-A new fighter in the Smash 4 DLC
-No new fighters in the base Ultimate game
-A new fighter in the first Fighter's Pass

I'd love to see Sega add a Wonder Boy character given the moveset potential and especially given how good the art style of the Dragon's Trap remake (and Monster Boy) turned out.

(Granted that's assuming Sega could do it, the ownership of Wonder Boy is confusing even without the weird Adventure Island rights issue. You know its bad when a flow chart is needed to figure it out:
)

Last edited:

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Here's an interesting question, if indeed the rest of the pass is in fact only in companies that were in the first (Nintendo, Sega, SE, Microsoft, SNK) how would you fill the last two spots with just those five as choices?
Since we already got Square and Microsoft in FP2, I'm going to just think of Nintendo, Sega and SNK.

With that in mind, my best guesses are Arle from Puyo Puyo, and a fourth or eighth generation Pokemon like Garchomp or Toxtricity/Kubfu/Grimmsnarl/Dracovish/etc.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I do find it kinda funny that they went out of their way to add The Prince and Heihachi to Pac's roulette, but still no Tales of.

And now that I say this. I predict that the Namco rep will be a surprise Don-chan out of left field.
Fun fact: Don-chan is the only character in Pac-Man's roulette that isn't an 8-bit sprite
1615754906114.png
1615754898715.png
1615754857217.png
1615754879305.png
1615754891890.png

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I do think if there were new companies in the pass, it could potentially make sense to have them be later in the pass just to ensure everything continues to work out and they can operate with them where as with like Microsoft and Square Enix they had already been working with them and probably had an easier time going straight back into their fighters. Like agreements would have of course been assigned and the leg work done to ensure those fighters were a part of pass 2, but the actual long term development and such is what I'm referring to. We'll see though.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Just like to ask why?

This doesn’t seem right to me. Sega owning guilty gear is like ArcSys dark past I doubt they’d want it referenced.
Maybe. they do own Guilty Gear now though, and Guilty Gear is on the come up, so maybe they could look at the Dark Past as one they overcame and such, and allow it to be referenced as an interesting period for the franchise

I do find it kinda funny that they went out of their way to add The Prince and Heihachi to Pac's roulette, but still no Tales of.

And now that I say this. I predict that the Namco rep will be a surprise Don-chan out of left field.
I believe the Prince and Heihachi sprites are from another game, one Lloyd was not in, So I think that's why Lloyd wasn't in

For Japan, at least. Sakura Wars is pretty darn big over there, and the brand's been put into just about every form of media. The problem is that the popularity is pretty much concentrated solely in Japan, so Nintendo would have to be aiming for Japanese audiences specifically for Sakura to be added. It's pretty much Touhou's situation made more in line with most other game franchises, only to have the lopsided, region-centric nature ramped up to eleven.
I think Sakura Wars actually has it harder in some aspects since at least with Touhou, you're only working with one person. Also Reimu has been more of a request from smash (at least from 4chan) for a while now.

And honestly, I think even Touhou has a bigger audience in the West than Sakura Wars does

Though Sakura Wars at least has a consistent design and a 3D Model to re-use, but perhaps that's something that can be talked easily with Zun as well.

Sakura Wars also has to match up to other Sega series. Personally I don't think it could be able to out-prioritize these other franchises

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Yeah I didn't think you were saying they have to get content, but it's just that I'm seeing people saying it's suspicious that Sega hasn't gotten any content in this pass and whatnot, and when you consider that they already have the most content for any company that doesn't have two waves dedicated exclusively to them, their recent absence really doesn't seem that suspicious to me. Sega was probably just front-loaded, like Namco is back-loaded.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh. Well, in that case, she's a lock. ;)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I pray that you are right my friend. My confidence is waning though, so funny enough I'm starting to lean toward a second Sonic character LOL. I think Puyo Puyo has all the credentials in the world but at this point I... well, to be honest, I can't imagine being that fortunate lmao.

My gut keeps telling me that Tails is a strong possibility. Even though he's the popular pick I am extremely skeptical toward Eggman.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
As much as Sega would be neat no doubt, I can't help but think that, assuming that the next character is June, said character is going to be a "bombshell" reveal.

E3 may no longer be a thing, but this Pass was finalized a long time ago, pre-covid, I'd imagine that they had originally planned everything out with E3 in mind.

Granted, the term bombshell is highly subjective.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

There are things making me raise an eyebrow at Tales.

But then again, there were things making me raise an eyebrow at DMC and Ninja Gaiden and I feel relatively confident neither are in ATM, so... :drshrug:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
As much as Sega would be neat no doubt, I can't help but think that, assuming that the next character is June, said character is going to be a "bombshell" reveal.

E3 may no longer be a thing, but this Pass was finalized a long time ago, pre-covid, I'd imagine that they had originally planned everything out with E3 in mind.

Granted, the term bombshell is highly subjective.
Yeah, I personally think someone like Robotnik or Kiryu would make a good bombshell reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
Even though I don't expect an Ultimate DX or something akin to that.

Can I just say, when all is said and done, even though it won't happen, it'd be nice to get Palutena's Guidances updated?

Like, it's a small thing, sure. But it's soo hilariously disconnected that the characters can ramble on and on and on about Cloud, but Sephiroth? NOPE, DUNNO WHO THIS GUY IS LOL.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Can I just say, when all is said and done, even though it won't happen, it'd be nice to get Palutena's Guidances updated?

Like, it's a small thing, sure. But it's soo hilariously disconnected that the characters can ramble on and on and on about Cloud, but Sephiroth? NOPE, DUNNO WHO THIS GUY IS LOL.
unless they don't update it in a port lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I'm just hoping Viridi's VA doesn't have schedule issues so we can get her back. At least there aren't any veterans for Ultimate's DLC though

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I always thought it was a missed opportunity that there wasn’t a guidance for Joker with most of the Phantom Thieves

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm not sure one way or the other, but I think by all means a new Sonic character is a pretty big deal specifically for the western audience that E3 reveals usually seek to cater toward - someone like Tails or Eggman would definitely be a crowd-pleaser to a more general audience. Not that a Sega character can't close out the pass, because there's nothing preventing that either.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That raises the question as to whether something that's mostly a bombshell for Japan like Kiryu would be given the E3 spot, were is a solo reveal. E3 tends to be skewed to the west, considering under normal circumstances it's, y'know, an American event.

We got Hero, but we also got Banjo. The year before the big newcomer was Ridley, and Japan doesn't give a **** about him. Every other year the big character(s) were more global.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm actually kinda curious on precisely how big Yakuza is in the West. I've seen Kiryu pushed as in a good place because his series has hit it big worldwide, but I'd imagine Yakuza's still biggest with Japanese audiences. Has the series broken out enough to qualify as a bombshell reveal for a Western event, or is it not quite that big yet?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm actually kinda curious on precisely how big Yakuza is in the West. I've seen Kiryu pushed as in a good place because his series has hit it big worldwide, but I'd imagine Yakuza's still biggest with Japanese audiences. Has the series broken out enough to qualify as a bombshell reveal for a Western event, or is it not quite that big yet?
I'd say he'd be a hit, not the most wellknown on the planet, but still very positively received. Though this is reminding me of how people insisted nobody knew what a Dragon Quest was outside Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom