• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Here's an thought: what if they swapped some of the FP characters around?

As in, this was our first pass: :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ultminmin

And this was our second pass: :ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ult_terry::ultbyleth:(you are here)

Back in 2018/2019 it always did bother me how Sakurai said that ARMS and Xenoblade 2 simply missed the boat for the base game and yet they were both seemingly ruled out for the first Fighters Pass, and then to add more salt to the wound we instead got Byleth.

Of course now they went back to those other games but it just seems kinda odd Nintendo didn't fast track them for the first pass after missing out on the base game.
I'm pretty sure they move around characters based on how development is doing and prioritize the character that is going best. Trailers are also made early or storyboarded early and we know that because sakurai talked about sephiroths trailer being done before ff7 remake came out. That is also why previous fp2 dlc don't appear in new fp2 dlc trailers. Surprised sephiroth wasnt in p+ms trailer for a jin reference

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here's an thought: what if they swapped some of the FP characters around?

As in, this was our first pass: :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ultminmin

And this was our second pass: :ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ult_terry::ultbyleth:(you are here)

Back in 2018/2019 it always did bother me how Sakurai said that ARMS and Xenoblade 2 simply missed the boat for the base game and yet they were both seemingly ruled out for the first Fighters Pass, and then to add more salt to the wound we instead got Byleth.

Of course now they went back to those other games but it just seems kinda odd Nintendo didn't fast track them for the first pass after missing out on the base game.
How about this?

First pass: :ultjoker::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultsephiroth:
Second pass: :ultminmin:ultsteve::ultbyleth::ultpyra:

Then we play a game called "Who is leaving smash speculation in Fighter Pass 2?"

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's understandable on it's own. Thing is, the Xbox never really settled down in Japan. I'm sure there's people who'd be stoked with him over in Japan, but if we're going for the most satisfactory duo period, I feel like MC would need an earth-shaker for Japan to balance him out. Crash is decently popular over there, but he doesn't quite hit the same level for them. That's why I think them as the final two wouldn't fulfill the most well-received duo, as the largest chunk of their popularity comes from the West.

Granted, it's almost impossible to pinpoint the exact best-received pair, so...
360 wasn't so bad there. There are plenty of clues that Halo has decent following there.

3.8 million (Japanese sales of Ultimate) out of 20 million is impressive number... but that's far away from majority. I feel this is like US electoral college bs.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Has this been discussed before? If not, then what do you think of this?
Depends on whether the people in that thread were upset over the possibility of more 1st-parties or the idea of more 3rd-parties.

Is Kirby not a genderless alien????
Tbh I'm not sure how his gender is handled in Japan, but he's said to be a boy everywhere else. I don't remember the specifics in Japan and how gender is handled in the Japanese language.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
My one prediction I firmly believe is that we will get one more third party and one more first party. I think they are going for an even split ratio.
If they want it to be even, I'm betting 2 more 1st parties since we have 6 third parties and 4 first parties. That would truly even it out and match up with what imran khan said about fp2

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If they want it to be even, I'm betting 2 more 1st parties since we have 6 third parties and 4 first parties. That would truly even it out and match up with what imran khan said about fp2
Actually, we'd have 6 third parties and 5 first parties.

But I'm still expecting an even split for Vol. 2. What you suggested isn't really balanced at all in the Vol. 2 context.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The "literal who" to end all "literal who"s
Did you not realize how famous Tony Hawk is, or was that a reference to him not being recognized on Twitter?
The characters I mentioned could not fit in together at all. Colors and being less realistic don't equal a coherent artsyle or universe.
Coherence of an artstyle is not a binary quality. Elements can fit in/cohere perfectly, well, not well, not at all, etc.
Even by that logic, Snake and Bayonetta ruin it and you can't just act like they don't exist. Most may be colorful and bright but some also just aren't. Sephiroth, ROB, G&W, and Ganondorf aren't realistic really but they also aren't colorful.

Smash doesn't care much about artstyle as long as it gets slightly Smashififed or already works fine enough. It's all about having these characters together as pure as they can get. And when it comes to looking at what isn't a fighter, spirits like Resident Evil shouldn't even be allowed in Smash by your logic.
I haven't been arguing that Smash uniformly follows these design principles or that the chances of prospective characters are influenced by them.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I found an old tweet from PushDustIn regarding Kirby's gender in Japanese:

Sakurai himself seemed to keep Kirby's gender a mystery at least a long time ago:

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Actually, we'd have 6 third parties and 5 first parties.

But I'm still expecting an even split for Vol. 2. What you suggested isn't really balanced at all in the Vol. 2 context.
Piranha plant makes it 6 first parties. Also it would be pretty balanced if you add the first set of dlc before they announced more in development which is plant standalone +fp1
You get 2 1st parties, and 4 3rd parties. Pass 2 could be 2 3rd parties, and 4 1st parties

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I've been thinking about a hypothetical Papyrus moveset, and I'm wondering if it would be tacky for him to get Sans's gravity manipulation? It would hardly be a core part of the moveset, but I think it'd work fine for the grabs.
HE WAS IN THE ELITE FOUR YOU COLLOSIAL ASSHOLE — An analysis on Sans's  magic...

D

Deleted member

True, but then there's also a Balancing Issue that comes in as well. Think of the Basic Gameplay of a Warriors Game. Wouldn't it be a Balancing Issue to get it working in Smash, and faithful to the Source Material, if we were to not get a Seventh Zelda Fighter. Especially when Hayabusa has 10x More History than Dynasty Warriors. It could happen, it's just that I can't see it. Honestly, if Hayabusa happens, he'd probably just be the Terry of his Company, with Music (and Content) from every other major Koei Tecmo Series besides Ninja Gaiden ONTOP of Ninja Gaiden.
I'm gonna dissect most of this because I want to chime in on your take.
True, but then there's also a Balancing Issue that comes in as well. Think of the Basic Gameplay of a Warriors Game. Wouldn't it be a Balancing Issue to get it working in Smash, and faithful to the Source Material, if we were to not get a Seventh Zelda Fighter.
Unless you were talking about Lu Bu, balancing is a non issue. Musou is indeed known for its 1 vs 1000 style combat, but it's not like Sakurai has to make it where the character is an unstoppable beast without any sort of flaws. Someone like Zhao Yun could easily hit every fighter consecutively but can have pretty punishable lag. It's not like he'd have super armor for every attack he does cause it isn't even like that in Musou games.

Also since you bring up a 7th Zelda character in regards to this, what makes you think a Hyrule Warriors specific character would be any different from a Dynasty Warriors character in terms of gameplay? They all pretty much follow the same gameplay format but with a different set of weapons.

Especially when Hayabusa has 10x More History than Dynasty Warriors.
Comparing both series in terms of history is apples to oranges because both series hold a legacy of their own. Ninja Gaiden is fondly remembered for its hard as nails difficulty from both the Classic and Modern games while Dynasty Warriors is fondly remembered for the Musou gameplay that Koei-Tecmo are currently known for. In fact, you could argue Dynasty Warriors has more history with its publisher than Ninja Gaiden because of how influencial Musou is with Koei-Tecmo as a whole.
Honestly, if Hayabusa happens, he'd probably just be the Terry of his Company, with Music (and Content) from every other major Koei Tecmo Series besides Ninja Gaiden ONTOP of Ninja Gaiden.
I see a few people talk about this happening before, but if Hayabusa were to be in Smash, he's mostly going to bring content from Ninja Gaiden. If any other Koei-Tecmo related content were to come with him, it'll be Mii Costumes, maybe Team Ninja specific to be exact. SNK got what they got because Nintendo/Sakurai wanted to have the entire brand represented rather than just 1 series given how much Sakurai talked about SNK's upbringing with the Neo Geo and all. If Sakurai talks about Hayabusa, he isn't going to divulge in the history of Koei-Tecmo but rather the series he comes from.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Piranha plant makes it 6 first parties. Also it would be pretty balanced if you add the first set of dlc before they announced more in development which is plant standalone +fp1
You get 2 1st parties, and 4 3rd parties. Pass 2 could be 2 3rd parties, and 4 1st parties
1st parties: :ultpiranha::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultpyra: X X
3rd parties: :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultsteve::ultsephiroth:

...I don't care. Nintendo's not gonna make the last two fighters 1st party simply to balance out the DLC.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about a hypothetical Papyrus moveset, and I'm wondering if it would be tacky for him to get Sans's gravity manipulation? It would hardly be a core part of the moveset, but I think it'd work fine for the grabs.
HE WAS IN THE ELITE FOUR YOU COLLOSIAL ASSHOLE — An analysis on Sans's  magic...'s  magic...
Sans's gravity powers are basically an advanced version of the Blue Attack; I think it's plausible Papyrus could use it.
I actually started working on my own Papyrus moveset recently and came up with a different interpretation of the Blue Attack, though: since it limits Frisk's movement, my version is a down special that temporarily decreases the target's speed and jump height.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Maybe but I wouldn't really count Piranha Plant since he isn't part of the passes. Even then, Mythra's inclusion makes it so that we've so far seen 3 fp2 fighters being from Nintendo. With 2 fp2 fighters being from 3rd parties, no matter what we see, fp2 would be uneven then.

1st parties: :ultpiranha::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultpyra: X X
3rd parties: :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultsteve::ultsephiroth:

...I don't care. Nintendo's not gonna make the last two fighters 1st party simply to balance out the DLC.
I mean... they just might...
b8d6344879f8b548a8bfc33eb5095c5e.jpg

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Maybe but I wouldn't really count Piranha Plant since he isn't part of the passes. Even then, Mythra's inclusion makes it so that we've so far seen 3 fp2 fighters being from Nintendo. With 2 fp2 fighters being from 3rd parties, no matter what we see, fp2 would be uneven then.

I mean... they just might...
View attachment 304655
Plant is a dlc character though. If we assume the next 2 characters are the final, why wouldn't they go for equal representation in all of dlc. It would also make sense considering how the two third parties of pass 2 are the equivalent to a list celebrities in the gaming world and the ones in fp1(excluding hero) are like b-c list celebrities lmao

it took more money to put sephiroth and steve than it did to put joker, terry, and banjo

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
360 wasn't so bad there. There are plenty of clues that Halo has decent following there.

3.8 million (Japanese sales of Ultimate) out of 20 million is impressive number... but that's far away from majority. I feel this is like US electoral college bs.
it's more like 5mil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom