• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Question: next fighter is a retro character, retro here being defined as having no new game in 20 years. Could be first party or third party. Who do you want it to be?

myself, I’m batting for muddy mole forever and always
SSBU_spirit_Takamaru.png

You have no idea how much I want Mysterious Murasame Castle to get the Kid Icarus treatment in terms of getting a modern day revival due to Takamaru getting into Smash. I played the game last summer during quarantine and man what could've been...

This barely squeeks by:
View attachment 304660
This is also a perfect answer that makes me feel absolutely elderly.

(A multi-legged fighter would be kind of cool!)
I'm just gonna throw this out there:
  • Amaterasu is a quadrupedal fighter.
  • Her most iconic weapon, the Reflector, incorporates fire in its attacks.
  • Etika played and enjoyed Okami.
  • 2018, the year Ultimate was released and DLC for FP1 was being planned, was Year of the Dog.
  • Amaterasu's weapons are called Divine Instruments, which is what people play at, wait for it...orchestral concerts!

There, did I cover all of my "dumb theories" bases? Because this - all of this - is how Ammy wins.

de1zcmd-fb5fb66f-c903-4f2d-9984-d76d1e354d54.png

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I found an old tweet from PushDustIn regarding Kirby's gender in Japanese:

Sakurai himself seemed to keep Kirby's gender a mystery at least a long time ago:
Another interesting factoid, Kirby is shown to hang out with both the male and female characters in the official arts for Valentine's Day and White Day.

Happy White Day from the Kirby Twitter! : Kirby
What gender is Kirby? - Quora

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm just gonna throw this out there:
  • Amaterasu is a quadrupedal fighter.
  • Her most iconic weapon, the Reflector, incorporates fire in its attacks.
  • Etika played and enjoyed Okami.
  • 2018, the year Ultimate was released and DLC for FP1 was being planned, was Year of the Dog.
  • Amaterasu's weapons are called Divine Instruments, which is what people play at, wait for it...orchestral concerts!

There, did I cover all of my "dumb theories" bases? Because this - all of this - is how Ammy wins.

de1zcmd-fb5fb66f-c903-4f2d-9984-d76d1e354d54.png
You think she would come with Issun or would he be missing?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Nintendo Social Media guy off the ****s
At least you gotta commend them for trying lol. Maybe give them a raise.

Marvel vs. Capcom has the whole fourth-party thing going on
The best option in that regard would be to treat them as "the Versus Series", which is a term a few people (Sakurai included, I believe) have used to talk about all the different Capcom fighting crossovers under a single umbrella.

...But yeah, it's still a really low chance, and the options are relatively limited, since the only characters that don't already rep their own series would be Ruby Heart, Sonson and Amingo.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Another interesting factoid, Kirby is shown to hang out with both the male and female characters in the official arts for Valentine's Day and White Day.

Happy White Day from the Kirby Twitter! : Kirby
What gender is Kirby? - Quora
Everyone has the inalienable right to the Kirbo
The best option in that regard would be to treat them as "the Versus Series", which is a term a few people (Sakurai included, I believe) have used to talk about all the different Capcom fighting crossovers under a single umbrella.

...But yeah, it's still a really low chance, and the options are relatively limited, since the only characters that don't already rep their own series would be Ruby Heart, Sonson and Amingo.
Speed Weed Speed Weed noises get louder

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Was the message where he mentioned 2021 from last year? The image shared here said Wednesday.

edit: my question was ninja'd.
It was from April of 2020.

I highly doubt he would've known the pass that far ahead, as that would mean he knew the entire pass for over a year. It also wouldn't fit his posts as he's made posts that are speculative on certain characters, which wouldn't make sense if he knew.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Kirby & Dedede at least reference modern Kirby with their Final Smashes as well.
Actually, just Kirby. King Dedede's is from Kirby Superstar Ultra. It technically should count as modern Kirby, but when referring to modern Kirby, people are typically referring to Kirby's Return to Dreamland and onward.

N3ON made an Ultimate version?!?

I'm stealing this for my signature (the SSB4 one gets cut off at the bottom now).
EDIT: Or maybe I won't because SmashBoards won't let me select it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It was from April of 2020.

I highly doubt he would've known the pass that far ahead, as that would mean he knew the entire pass for over a year. It also wouldn't fit his posts as he's made posts that are speculative on certain characters, which wouldn't make sense if he knew.
Yeah.

If FP2 really has locked down hard on leaks, there's absolutely no way Imran would know the entire pass' lineup up to a year in advance lol.

Just because he's a leaker doesn't mean people should take everything he says as gospel.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Kirby & Dedede at least reference modern Kirby with their Final Smashes as well.

I love Bandanna Dee, he's my second fav for Kirby behind Adeleine, I just don't think he'd cause as much attention and hype as all of the other DLC characters, aside from Piranha Plant, did. They were all big primary characters, either the protagonists or antagonists in their series whereas Bandanna Dee would be like Toad in the Mario series, there as an important character, but not to the level of Mario, Luigi, Bowser, & Peach, but often chosen as the next playable character after Mario, Luigi, & Peach..or in Bandanna Dee's case, Kirby, Meta Knight, & Dedede.

I don't mean it as an insult to Bandanna Dee at all though, I feel the same way about even big wants of mine like Dixie Kong & Ashley from WarioWare, who don't seem big enough for DLC and aren't likely to bring in more sales or more fans into Smash, but seem like good picks for base roster..I also feel that way for characters already in like Isabelle & K. Rool..even Ridley..
I personally believe that the lasting effect of a DLC character lies more within how fun they are to play, rather than how hype they are as a character and/or how hype their reveal trailer was. For example, Byleth's reveal trailer to me was a complete snore aside from one or two chuckle-worthy bits. Not to mention that an 8th Fire Emblem character was the last thing some people would have ever wanted to round out a pass already chock-ful of interesting and note-worthy 3rd Party characters. But you know what? A clean slam of an Amyr attack is probably one of the most satisfying moves to land (mostly by surprise rather than mindless spam), and the rest of Byleth's moveset comes together well for something that was developed over a handful of months. Therefore, I'll probably remember Byleth more fondly because of that (along with other details regarding FE's rotating cast and success of Three Houses in general).

I think the same could easily be said for someone like Bandana Dee, contrary to the belief that he'd be "unfit" to be a DLC character (generally speaking, not necessarily directing that towards you). Which again is probably caused by the "Rising Star Syndrome" that he seems to possess. But regardless, I'm not 200% banking on him becoming a DLC fighter anyway (given the invisible barriers which still stand in his way), although at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he was at least considered by Nintendo at one point in time.

On the other hand, I think someone like Dixie would make for a perfect DLC character if they find some solid ground for her moveset.
Yeah, we already got K. Rool, but she's just as note-worthy within the DKC franchise even if she's not as popular. Not to mention that a game like DKC: Tropical Freeze was a grand experience which could've been better noted and promoted in a game like Smash, and since she starred as a main playable character in that game, it would be a perfect way to give them both the respect that they deserve.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Actually, just Kirby. King Dedede's is from Kirby Superstar Ultra. It technically should count as modern Kirby, but when referring to modern Kirby, people are typically referring to Kirby's Return to Dreamland and onward.
I think we can count KSSU as part of modern Kirby, or at least a "prologue" to the formula. The expanded copy abilities became a staple of the modern titles, as did the True Arena, the Soul line of bosses, Masked Dedede, and Galacta Knight. In addition, KSSU was when Shinya Kumazaki took the wheel as director; He's the guy who directed all the modern titles and started the big emphasis on lore and continuity. The main reason people start with RtDL is because KSSU is a remake, but there's a lot of blueprints for what would eventually become the modern Kirby era, which we could also call the "Kumazaki Era."

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Question: next fighter is a retro character, retro here being defined as having no new game in 20 years. Could be first party or third party. Who do you want it to be?
If appearances in crossovers don't count I'd pick either Morrigan (I don't really consider Darkstalkers Resurrection a new game) or Rash
d3lc2e6-ef9a18fc-d002-431f-a775-66db830b62f1.png 87649f9ae7c116210890313293855fa7.png
the new Battletoads game doesn't exist in my eyes.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I would've said Lip, but StarTropics has zero content in Smash whatsoever, please acknowledge the best NES game you ever made even exists, Nintendo.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

myself, I’m batting for muddy mole forever and always
the Polar Bear as our 2nd Ice Climber rep :4pacman:

Real answer: Geno counts, doesn't he?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
it's more like 5mil
Source? Last time I checked, 3.8 million is thr number I got. But of course it should've surpassed 4 million by now, but 5 million? That's still unreasonable jump in sales all things considered.

Smash dlc is literally catered to the west anyways or like most of it lmao.
Well... people keep bringing up popular Japan argument against western characters like Master Chief. I feel it's asinine to refuse characters like that just because of Japan. Among Ultimate dlc, only Minecraft surpasses Halo in term of sales. It means there is still lots of potential to draw new crowds.

EmperorCoal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5396-2021-6143
We didn't get Mansion 3 spirits did we? Honestly if another first party is gonna hit us, which is likely enough, King Boo is sitting in a decent position. Having a straight ghost is smash sounds kinda neat (Also LM3 is great)

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
So far we get 9 Nintendo IPs with new (non echo) fighters in smash ultimate: Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Splatoon and Arms.

And 7 third parties IPs: Castlevania, Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, Fatal Fury, Minecraft and Final Fantasy.

We need 2 more third party IPs to get a 9-9 score between first/third. We have 2 slots left in FP2, just do it Sakurai. ;)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
the KOF ones were so good too, what happened to the FE and XC cameos?
Speaking seriously, the KoF Stadium cameos probably devoured the budget. Plus, FE and XC2 are Nintendo's games, so they could easily take shortcuts and reuse the models from there. Since they make use of cel shading that Ultimate doesn't have, they end up looking a lot more awkward.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Fire Girl

Pyra is better than Mythra, don't @ me.
So far we get 9 Nintendo IPs with new (non echo) fighters in smash ultimate: Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Splatoon and Arms.

And 7 third parties IPs: Castlevania, Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, Fatal Fury, Minecraft and Final Fantasy.

We need 2 more third party IPs to get a 9-9 score between first/third. We have 2 slots left in FP2, just do it Sakurai. ;)
I don't think Sakurai cares about that kind of thing...

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I know the “what makes you think...” post was, but what about the “would you be ok with the rest of this pass being 1st party characters” one? When was that made?

also don’t expect the presentation this week:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

He said this in 2020 and technically he isn’t wrong. I see a lot of people really mad about Pyra/Mythra and this pass in general.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Speaking seriously, the KoF Stadium cameos probably devoured the budget. Plus, FE and XC2 are Nintendo's games, so they could easily take shortcuts and reuse the models from there. Since they make use of cel shading that Ultimate doesn't have, they end up looking a lot more awkward.
i'd imagine so but still the xenoblade 2 characters look like they have ps2 era textures.

honestly im surprised they went that all out for terry, it issafe to assume it had probably more budget behind it than basically any other pack. that seems like a poor planning decision or an excellent marketing tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom