• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't make any sense. We have midevil characters (Link, Young Link, Hero, every single Fire Emblem character) and we have strictly avatar characters (Steve, Villager, Inkling, Byleth, Hero, etc.). Why would putting both together no longer fit?

Smilies are between the insert image and insert tabs at the top of the writing area thingy. Not saying you have to put Greninja up there, just letting you know so you can use smilies if you want.
byleth and hero aren't avatar characters at all though they are silent protagonists which is what link and joker also are. Only avatar characters are steve, inkling, robin, corrin, villager,

Slight nitpick: Most of the avatars don't really have this either. Robin, Corrin, Byleth, and the Inklings are exceptions to this.
AGAIN SOMEONE CALLS BYLETH AN AVATAR. BYLETH IS NOT AN AVATAR. If you cannot customize the characters physical appearance, they are not an avatar. While you can change byleths clothes, you cannot change his/her face, hair color, skin color, etc.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Rathalos armor is ugly as ****. If you think a Hunter in that armor fits with Fox as much as Samus, we have irreconciliable design sensibilities. (If you're talking about ZSS, then the difference isn't as great, but still significant.)
I'm not here to talk about the design looking bad or not. I couldn't care less about what Hunter we get. I'm just gonna say that thinking that designs in Smash fit in well together is laughable. Even if one fits worse than the other, it doesn't matter since it's Smash. We have like 6 different anime artsyles. We have the same series not sharing the same design philosophy among their own characters like Link and Toon Link. We have a real looking mercenary duking it out with a 2D man, a terribly dressed blue haired anime swordfighter, and a cartoon princess.

You think the humanoid space bounty hunter fits in fine with the anthropomorphic cartoon Fox? How about Link and Mario? They just don't share an artstyle. What about Pikachu and Fox? Both are supposed to be furry animals yet Pikachu has no fur and is just a smooth yellow all around. A character like Incineroar is from the same series and yet he has actual fur texture that characters like Jigglypuff or Pikachu don't have. Pyra's anime look doesn't even match the anime look they went with for Shulk.

The Hunter is in the same universe as Palico. The Hunter has fought characters like Rocket Racoon and Iron Man. That Rathalos Armor was even a Mii Costume in Smash. Crap on the ugly armor all you want, but it has precedent to show up and considerably ""fit"" in.

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't make any sense. We have midevil characters (Link, Young Link, Hero, every single Fire Emblem character) and we have strictly avatar characters (Steve, Villager, Inkling, Byleth, Hero, etc.). Why would putting both together no longer fit?
When it comes to promoting their own games, Nintendo seems like they're much more willing to promote their own things. I mean they added Wii Fit Trainer as a First Party Pick. So the First Party Picks don't need explaining. But for the Third Party Ones, they want some big name reps. Recognizable Characters. Look who the first Third Party Picks were. Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man. Iconic characters that people around the world know, and that even continued when they brought in Ryu and Cloud. They're their own Character. They're not a Nameless Character.

The only DLC Character we have that isn't listed as a Proper Character name is Hero, and that's the case where he's 4 characters in one. But Individually, they do have their own names like Luminary, Erdrick etc. (Side Note, It still bugs me they didnt use their names, but part of me chalks that up to Square being hard to work with)

And for Steve, it's Steve. Iconic Series Moreso than probably any other series this DLC Cycle, and each of the characters had their own name. He wasnt "MINECRAFT GUY" When he's selected. Plus, on top of that, he does fit the Simplistic Cartoony Aesthetic for Smash, even if it is a bit out there.

While after all the searching I've done, the only name I can see the Monster Hunter Protagonist Referred to as, is "Hunter". If it has a name, I missed it. Whoops

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Fe is an old ip but it has a renewing cast so characters already in can't promote newer games. There's literally no benefit from adding bandana dee since kirby alone in smash can promote the newest game
I don't agree. After Pyra and Mythra, some people have started buying Xenoblade 2 and playing it. And that wasn't thanks to Shulk's presence in Ultimate.

I mean, yeah, Kirby or Shulk are already technically promoting their series, but it's not the same. When a new character gets added it brings a sensation of freshness. The hype, the surprise or the expectations that appear when a character gets revealed makes people curious about the character and the series he/she comes from.

The real question is which Sol Badguy design would they use?
View attachment 304620View attachment 304621View attachment 304622

And whether they'd use the "Smash Bros" animation style for his attacks or give him the classic "Stepped 3D animation" style that Xrd popularized.
Probably the classic one with a few changes to make it look a bit more modern. Or maybe just a composite design.

Strive's design is probably out of the question due to timing. Assuming Sol would get Smash during Ultimate. If he for some reason made it into the game in the next Smash, then maybe they would go with his Strive's incarnation.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
So why is it that a character who does share those aspects is suddenly unviable?

The Palico is like the Hunter in that both are recurring elements in the games. You use the Hunter as a character through who you hunt the monsters and get armors and weapons for them, and the Palico is your supportive companion. Basically, they're more like the sidekicks on your quest, they contribute to what you do, but hardly anymore important then the Hunter.

Personally, I love the Palicos, but the idea that they're a more universal representative is just false.
Yeah it's not Unviable, its just... something that makes me see them as unlikely.

But I do have to ask, as someone unfamiliar with Monster Hunter. In each game, it is canonly a different person with a different design as the protagonist each game?

Since that's kinda what I was getting it. From what I was seeing, the Palico's seem to really not change much in overall design much aside from clothes, while the bodies remain the same. But the Hunters themselves seem like Different people each time.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What's all this talk about sheep?

You guys discussing about farm animals?
Old McDonald had a farm
He’s confirmed for Smash
The whole fanbase threw up their arms
Called him useless trash
“Wasted slot” here and “Wasted slot” there
Here a waste, there a waste, everywhere a wasted slot
Old McDonald had a farm
They hate that he’s in Smash

I.D.

Smash Lord
In any case, the Pyra / Mythra reveal made me buy XB2, getting it in the mail tomorrow. Any beginner tips?
-Rex automatically gets fantastic blades so you don't need to give him too many blades (but feel free to give him 2 or 3 good Blades)
-Use Pouch Items as much as possible, especially the ones that lets you recharge your Arts faster. Makes the flow of the battle better.
-Also use aux cores and core chips as much as possible. Your blades also need equipment, not just your drivers! Most of the time I see people complaining about common enemies taking too long to kill is because they completely disregard their blades' equipment.
-Try to go salvaging occassionally (the fishing minigame of this game), it will be one of your biggest sources of money.
-On your drivers' skill trees, you will see an ability unlock "Cancel a driver art with another driver art". It's better to unlock this ASAP because it boosts the flow of battle tremendously.
-Also get the 3 skills that lets you start a battle with the Art already charged on the X, Y and B buttons for the same reason.
-Understand the Attack Cancelling mechanic (activating an art/special as soon as you connect an attack, you will know you have succeeded by a circle appearing in the middle of the screen), as it makes the flow of the battle better by recharging Arts quickly.
-Swapping blades refills their arts palette.
-You can combo into and out of swapping blades.
-Most enemies will aggro you if you aren't 8 levels above them. And look at your environment before taking a step in the wild, or you could get your ass ravaged by a Gorilla 80 levels over you. But the game doesn't really punish you for exploring, so don't be afraid to do it.
-If you are doing lots of sidequests, don't use too much bonus XP at inns unless you really need to, you might end up overleveled.
-Focus on learning the Driver Combo of Break > Topple > Launch > Smash when it's introduced. The sooner you can understand this set up, the better. You can check what arts inflict what status on the arts level up menu.
-Don't waste protocol overdrives on your first playthrough. Especially on common blades. The game only gives you a few. This kinda becomes a non-issue on new game+ where you can buy them.
-DON'T kill the little Arduran in Torigoth until you feed it to Lv.99. He'll become the best Legendary Cores farming spot.

Edit: Common blades are GOOD. There I wrote it with capital letters so you remember. They are useful in all facets of the game: fighting, mercenary missions, field skills, etc. Do NOT disregard them. Don't **** up your team composition and turn say Nia into an awful tank just because you think a common healer blade isn't worth using.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Old McDonald had a farm
He’s confirmed for Smash
The whole fanbase threw up their arms
Called him useless trash
“Wasted slot” here and “Wasted slot” there
Here a waste, there a waste, everywhere a wasted slot
Old McDonald had a farm
They hate that he’s in Smash
but Old MacDonald is iconic tho :4pacman:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah it's not Unviable, its just... something that makes me see them as unlikely.

But I do have to ask, as someone unfamiliar with Monster Hunter. In each game, it is canonly a different person with a different design as the protagonist each game?

Since that's kinda what I was getting it. From what I was seeing, the Palico's seem to really not change much in overall design much aside from clothes, while the bodies remain the same. But the Hunters themselves seem like Different people each time.
Every Monster Hunter is a different person from a different region fighting different monsters.
It's like Animal Crossing except you kill your neighbors and then craft armor and weapons from them instead of being friends with them.

Anyway if there's anything I'm confident in, it's that these 2 designs would be included as they are the most iconic and popular, to the extent they're the ones that get crossover appearances and merchandising.
1614035043534.png

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Here's an thought: what if they swapped some of the FP characters around?

As in, this was our first pass: :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ultminmin:ultpyra:
And this was our second pass: :ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ult_terry::ultbyleth:(you are here)

Back in 2018/2019 it always did bother me how Sakurai said that ARMS and Xenoblade 2 simply missed the boat for the base game and yet they were both seemingly ruled out for the first Fighters Pass, and then to add more salt to the wound we instead got Byleth.

Of course now they went back to those other games but it just seems kinda odd Nintendo didn't fast track them for the first pass after missing out on the base game.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm not here to talk about the design looking bad or not. I couldn't care less about what Hunter we get. I'm just gonna say that thinking that designs in Smash fit in well together is laughable. Even if one fits worse than the other, it doesn't matter since it's Smash. We have like 6 different anime artsyles. We have the same series not sharing the same design philosophy among their own characters like Link and Toon Link. We have a real looking mercenary duking it out with a 2D man, a terribly dressed blue haired anime swordfighter, and a cartoon princess.

You think the humanoid space bounty hunter fits in fine with the anthropomorphic cartoon Fox? How about Link and Mario? They just don't share an artstyle. What about Pikachu and Fox? Both are supposed to be furry animals yet Pikachu has no fur and is just a smooth yellow all around. A character like Incineroar is from the same series and yet he has actual fur texture that characters like Jigglypuff or Pikachu don't have. Pyra's anime look doesn't even match the anime look they went with for Shulk.

The Hunter is in the same universe as Palico. The Hunter has fought characters like Rocket Racoon and Iron Man. That Rathalos Armor was even a Mii Costume in Smash. Crap on the ugly armor all you want, but it has precedent to show up and considerably ""fit"" in.
I think most of the characters you asked about do fit in pretty well together. Snake doesn't. The rest are pretty bright and colorful. Most characters in Smash aren't hyper-realistic or grungy.

Your last paragraph is irrelevant. You assume that because Hunter has been in the same game as Palico or the others that they fit in there. Even if they did, you would have to show that the reasons they fit in there apply to Smash.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree. After Pyra and Mythra, some people have started buying Xenoblade 2 and playing it. And that wasn't thanks to Shulk's presence in Ultimate.

I mean, yeah, Kirby or Shulk are already technically promoting their series, but it's not the same. When a new character gets added it brings a sensation of freshness. The hype, the surprise or the expectations that appear when a character gets revealed makes people curious about the character and the series he/she comes from.
Shulk is from a series that renews it's cast every game like Fire Emblem lol. I get why you're confused though since it is implied in the trailer shulk and the xc2 cast know each other. That is through a DLC that has nothing to do with the main story. Shulk can't promote a game he isn't a main character in

Now Kirby on the other hand, can literally promote every game in it's series, since it is always the protagonist

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to promoting their own games, Nintendo seems like they're much more willing to promote their own things. I mean they added Wii Fit Trainer as a First Party Pick. So the First Party Picks don't need explaining. But for the Third Party Ones, they want some big name reps. Recognizable Characters. Look who the first Third Party Picks were. Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man. Iconic characters that people around the world know, and that even continued when they brought in Ryu and Cloud. They're their own Character. They're not a Nameless Character.

The only DLC Character we have that isn't listed as a Proper Character name is Hero, and that's the case where he's 4 characters in one. But Individually, they do have their own names like Luminary, Erdrick etc. (Side Note, It still bugs me they didnt use their names, but part of me chalks that up to Square being hard to work with)

And for Steve, it's Steve. Iconic Series Moreso than probably any other series this DLC Cycle, and each of the characters had their own name. He wasnt "MINECRAFT GUY" When he's selected. Plus, on top of that, he does fit the Simplistic Cartoony Aesthetic for Smash, even if it is a bit out there.

While after all the searching I've done, the only name I can see the Monster Hunter Protagonist Referred to as, is "Hunter". If it has a name, I missed it. Whoops
Don't throw shade on Wii Fit. It's the 4th highest-selling Nintendo game of all time. It makes more sense in Smash than most of the series. It's a notable series and piece of Nintendo history.

Also, I personally feel MH representation is good enough in Smash so I want to agree with you but I can't with that logic. It's clear with characters like Hero that they don't care about the name exactly and they can deal with a more generic title already. I'm sure they're not playing favorites. Jumping through hoops to count out a character never works well. Even then, Monster Hunter is the name of the series, it would make all the sense in the world to keep that name for the fighter itself.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I think the point was that Byleth and Pyra can sell more easily their games because their the main character and mascots of Fire emblem three houses and Xenoblade 2, while Bandana dee never had it's own game. I don't think Dee would help that much to boost the sales of Star allies or an hypothetic Kirby 2021.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's an thought: what if they swapped some of the FP characters around?

As in, this was our first pass: :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ultminmin

And this was our second pass: :ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ult_terry::ultbyleth:(you are here)

Back in 2018/2019 it always did bother me how Sakurai said that ARMS and Xenoblade 2 simply missed the boat for the base game and yet they were both seemingly ruled out for the first Fighters Pass, and then to add more salt to the wound we instead got Byleth.

Of course now they went back to those other games but it just seems kinda odd Nintendo didn't fast track them for the first pass after missing out on the base game.
Imagine the anger and salt of Smash fans if Byleth was the last fighter...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

The Hunters are different people, but they don't change in core design either. Like the Palicos who are also different between games, their basis does not shift between games, they are men and women who dress up in their kills' body parts and then go off and hunt others. Being a different person each time doesn't change the basis of their character, and like the Palico you can still identify who they are based on their core.

Additionally, their most iconic design is using the Rathalos armor which is consistent across all games and has appeared in multiple crossovers like SF and Dragalia Lost. So the idea that the character is too flexible to fit is not one supported by how the series is represented both in and out of the franchise.

Edit: :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't think Eggman would get that much backlash for not being Crash
I second this, While I would still rather have Crash Bandicoot, I respect Eggman and think that he would be a worthy and cool addition in Super Smash Bros.

Plus he helps further diversify and balance out both fighter passes gameplay wise and aesthetically too.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Don't throw shade on Wii Fit. It's the 4th highest-selling Nintendo game of all time. It makes more sense in Smash than most of the series. It's a notable series and piece of Nintendo history.
I'm not. I Freaking Love Wii Fit as a character.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Imagine the anger and salt of Smash fans if Byleth was the last fighter...
To be fair in this case, he'd be the fourth fighter revealed.

Also looking at that proposed FP1 lineup, there is something I noticed that's pretty cool. There's two third party characters that are entirely male (Hero and Joker), and two first party characters that are entirely female (Min Min and Pyra/Mythra), but in-between them you have a character that's both male and female and also a unique distinction of being third party and first party at the time.

They should of hired me

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When it comes to promoting their own games, Nintendo seems like they're much more willing to promote their own things. I mean they added Wii Fit Trainer as a First Party Pick. So the First Party Picks don't need explaining.
No. If the argument is that characters that go by titles don't fit with Super Smash Bros. than first party characters like this also factor in here. There's no difference in characters having titles like Pokémon Trainer, Hero, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer and characters having titles like Monster Hunter, Dragonborn, Chosen Undead, and Doom Slayer, and that's even ignoring that titles can become as iconic as the names as seen with Dragonborn and Pokémon Trainer (albeit with the latter one evoking images of any protagonist rather than a single character design).

But for the Third Party Ones, they want some big name reps. Recognizable Characters. Look who the first Third Party Picks were. Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man. Iconic characters that people around the world know, and that even continued when they brought in Ryu and Cloud. They're their own Character. They're not a Nameless Character.

Using the title as a name is not the same as being unrecognizable. You would recognize the character in Rathelos armour as the Monster Hunter just as you would recognize the child in Animal Crossing's artstyle as the Villager, or any one of the heroes as Hero.

Also, small nitpick: Eleven's name is not The Luminary. That's another title. Also, Eleven and Eight are hardly names for characters of this nature, but I digress.

On the subject of Steve's aesthetic, it actually clashes with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's artstyle more than with any other series because it wasn't adapted in any way. Monster Hunter would not do the same, and since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's artstyle was made to accommodate realistic characters, it would fit in just fine.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Shroob

Sup?
EXCUSE ME WHAT THE ****

I might have to delete my discord app at this rate cause a friend there pinged me showing me this and it’s making it so hard to take a break from here

asdf

do NOT play with my heart like this Imran...
I mean, we already have 2(3) confirmed 1st party characters, he's already made his point off that alone. Also, remember, he said this in January 2020, before we even saw Min Min.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I think most of the characters you asked about do fit in pretty well together. Snake doesn't. The rest are pretty bright and colorful. Most characters in Smash aren't hyper-realistic or grungy.

Your last paragraph is irrelevant. You assume that because Hunter has been in the same game as Palico or the others that they fit in there. Even if they did, you would have to show that the reasons they fit in there apply to Smash.
The characters I mentioned could not fit in together at all. Colors and being less realistic don't equal a coherent artsyle or universe. Even by that logic, Snake and Bayonetta ruin it and you can't just act like they don't exist. Most may be colorful and bright but some also just aren't. Sephiroth, ROB, G&W, and Ganondorf aren't realistic really but they also aren't colorful.

Smash doesn't care much about artstyle as long as it gets slightly Smashififed or already works fine enough. It's all about having these characters together as pure as they can get. And when it comes to looking at what isn't a fighter, spirits like Resident Evil shouldn't even be allowed in Smash by your logic.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Are we really arguing aesthetics when :ultsteve: exists and wasn't made to "fit in" to Smash's artstyle... at all? Hell, he doesn't fit into the banner either. Everyone else has these drawn looks, while Steve looks like his model was slapped on.
Flashback to 4chan Steveposting

cashregister9

Smash Hero
EXCUSE ME WHAT THE ****

I might have to delete my discord app at this rate cause a friend there pinged me showing me this and it’s making it so hard to take a break from here

asdf

do NOT play with my heart like this Imran...
They were probably both taken out of context

There are already more first parties in the second pass

The second one just seems like general speculation.

Nothing is concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom