• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
That's actually an interesting perspective.

Have we ever questioned why there's an additional 6th character this pass?

Sakurai did say that they were planning on "One or two more", but then we got 5 characters, with a highlight as to "BUT WAIT, THERE'S ONE MORE!"

If we do subscribe to the idea of "Second chance", and go along with a potential roundup of:

Min Min: ARMs missed the boat due to timing
Steve: 5 year discussion
Sephiroth: Lack of FF base game content
Pyra/Mythra: XB2 missed the boat due to timing
Potentially Monster Hunter: A decent amount of base game content, but no playable character

Then maybe the 6th character really was a more recently picked one...?
My guess is that Sephiroth and Steve might have been planned as bonus after the first pass (considering that Steve was discussed for 5 years and Sephiroth might have been planned early when dealing for Cloud). Then Nintendo decided to do more and decided to add characters that Sakurai wanted in base game but couldn't (Min min and Pyra/Mythra). Personally I don't think there's too many meaning in the fact that there's 6 characters instead of 5. It's possible that one of them was chosen slightly later, but it wouldn't really change who could get in considering that the whole pass was most likely decided around fall 2019 at the latest.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah, Nintendo probably isn't doing E3.

A June or early July Direct though with all the news that they would have shared at E3? That's more likely.
Given Min Min was revealed in June. I think it's a given we will get a reveal(s) whether involved with E3 or not.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming the concert leak is real, which is doubtful. It'd be a case of East and West as a potential double reveal at E3 with Monster Hunter (Japan) and Crash (US).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That's actually an interesting perspective.

Have we ever questioned why there's an additional 6th character this pass?

Sakurai did say that they were planning on "One or two more", but then we got 5 characters, with a highlight as to "BUT WAIT, THERE'S ONE MORE!"

If we do subscribe to the idea of "Second chance", and go along with a potential roundup of:

Min Min: ARMs missed the boat due to timing
Steve: 5 year discussion
Sephiroth: Lack of FF base game content
Pyra/Mythra: XB2 missed the boat due to timing
Potentially Monster Hunter: A decent amount of base game content, but no playable character

Then maybe the 6th character really was a more recently picked one...?
I was asking myself the same thing.

And to top it off, with Sakurai's "just a couple more" remark, I wonder if Steve and Sephiroth's packs would have been standalone DLC, since they weren't featured in Volume 1 (and they're arguably the most likely to be the "couple more" reveals Sakurai alluded to).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Assuming the concert leak is real, which is doubtful. It'd be a case of East and West as a potential double reveal at E3 with Monster Hunter (Japan) and Crash (US).
I like how both examples here are incredibly popular worldwide yet are cited as catering to specific regions.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Most Jump fans I've seen who pay attention to the crossover games will tell you Jump Force sucks ass and the DS games kick the ever-loving **** out of it

Honestly this is what kinda frustrates me the most about Jump Force is not even the game itself, but the fact that it was the Jump game that got the most coverage and attention over the actually good ones, and now any potential future one is gonna have to carry the stigma of being "Jump Force 2" and provoke "oh it's like that bad anime game again" reactions from people and god ****ing dammit does it make me sad
Jump Force and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite are the only games that straight up bum me out when I think about them. Both of them had good ideas behind them (and I honestly prefer some of the roster choices in those games over J-Stars and Ultimate Marvel 3 respectively), but they were gutted to absolute mediocrity by corporate interests.

Makes me glad Smash Ultimate came out as amazing as it did.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We interrupt my hiatus to give you this:
Make of this what you will

now if you’ll excuse me imma slip back into the shadows

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Jump Force and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite are the only games that straight up bum me out when I think about them. Both of them had good ideas behind them (and I honestly prefer some of the roster choices in those games over J-Stars and Ultimate Marvel 3 respectively), but they were gutted to absolute mediocrity by corporate interests.

Makes me glad Smash Ultimate came out as amazing as it did.
Wait, what was so hated about Jump Force beyond the look, cause Infinite had infinitely more issues than being a massive visual downgrade

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Both the main game and the DLC had the same trend for characters. Big crazy hype characters early on and around the middle then getting less and less exciting. The main game had Inkling to start, then went big with Ridley, Simon and K. Rool. It wounds down with Isabelle and Incinaroar, who no one was happy with. Fighter Pass 1: Hero and Banjo are the big show stoppers and then it winds down with Terry "Who" Bogard and ends with Byleth, another FE character that no one was excited about. Now, Fighter Pass 2: we just got off the heals of Steve and Sephiroth and the next character is Pyra. Nothing wrong with Pyra. Pyra is awesome. But Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is not on the same level as Minecraft and Final Fantasy 7. We're doing the same song and dance as last time.

Nintendo is gonna do what Nintendo is going to do. I don't they care about having to have some crazy character. Honestly, I think the "there must be a big character at E3" thing is wishful thinking. No one wants to believe the next character is boring or it wont be the megaton character you've been waiting for. Nintendo went all in with Steve and Sephiroth and are probably going to coast the rest of the way through. That's what its looking like based on Fighter Pass 1 and the main game.
Seeing this, I subscribe to this theory. I’m 85% positive the final character will not be a showstopper. I think we’re getting something like MH and then like Eggman. Don’t get me wrong—Eggman is cool, but I think that’s the reaction he would garner: cool.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Wait, what was so hated about Jump Force beyond the look, cause Infinite had infinitely more issues than being a massive visual downgrade
Repetitive gameplay with characters that all feel more or less the same, an extremely lacklustre and lopsided roster (I seriously want to meet the guy who said "Yes, Bleach needs 7 characters while JoJo's needs 3"), CaC is incredibly limited by even the standards of most anime games, and a story mode that's an absolute joke in just about every conceivable way.

It's honestly a shame because J-Stars was a perfectly serviceable, if somewhat flawed, foundation they could have built upon.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's been almost 4 years since the Switch released. Assuming we are in the middle of it's lifespan, the next Nintendo console could be in 2024 or 2025.

Smash Monkey

Banned via Warnings
Seeing this, I subscribe to this theory. I’m 85% positive the final character will not be a showstopper. I think we’re getting something like MH and then like Eggman. Don’t get me wrong—Eggman is cool, but I think that’s the reaction he would garner: cool.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a Pokemon. We all know, deep down, it's gonna happen.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

This... sounds about right. 7 years seems to be the new standard for a console, so year 3 entering year 4 is right about where I would expect the midpoint of the Switch's life to be.

I honestly wonder if development on the next Smash will begin right when FP2 ends. It would put Smash within year 1 and I think Nintendo's learned the power that a good first year can have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please stop it.
Será Zacian, el Pokémon gen 8 que empuña una espada

Last edited by a moderator:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

This information along with the announcement of Splatoon 3 gives me a vague hope for more Smash DLC or a new smash something. Nintendo still makes truckloads of cash from Smash and Splatoon 3 means that they want to keep the multiplayer aspect of the switch alive and Smash bros. would help with that.

I'm not expecting it in the least, I just have a vague sense of hope for it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This information along with the announcement of Splatoon 3 gives me a vague hope for more Smash DLC or a new smash something. Nintendo still makes truckloads of cash from Smash and Splatoon 3 means that they want to keep the multiplayer aspect of the switch alive and Smash bros. would help with that.

Honestly? Same...
Será Zacian, el Pokémon gen 8 que empuña una espada
Dude. Stop.

imma dip for real now before the real crazy **** happens

Smash Monkey

Banned via Warnings
It could, but there's nothing suggesting that it will.
Sakurai always makes a spot for a Pokemon.

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon
This is the same man who added a FE Fates character soon after its Japanese release and a FE Three Houses soon after that game came out. Do not doubt Sakurai's desire to add Pokemon and FE Lords.

SKX31

Smash Master

Makes quite a lot of sense, since their R&D division is likely going to be extra-careful with the next console (the Wii U's failure is still in relatively fresh memory and Nintendo's reliant on one console and its games for 90 %+ of their income as of currently). They also have to in some form adress the Drift problem either with the Switch's generation or - much, much more likely - the next one. Especially when an investigation by the EU itself might be in the cards this year, so a number of Nintendo's lawyers are stuck playing defense.

Yeah, I'm feeling a tad bit more optimistic about a FP3 or extra DLC or what have you - the million dollar question will be if Furukawa and Nintendo's other execs can convince Sakurai and co. that additional dev time will be worth it.

Which I won't discount entirely - Ultimate's at the position where it could be a widely played game for years to come, perhaps even on the successort console. But we'll have to see really, and I'm still largely skeptical regarding additional DLC.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sakurai always makes a spot for a Pokemon.

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon

This is the same man who added a FE Fates character soon after its Japanese release and a FE Three Houses soon after that game came out. Do not doubt Sakurai's desire to add Pokemon and FE Lords.
But also why would they add Spirits a few days before the latest possible DLC cutoff point?

Pokemon is big, and not impossible. but there is nothing guaranteeing it except for cynicism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom