• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
We interrupt my hiatus to give you this:
Make of this what you will

now if you’ll excuse me imma slip back into the shadows
This reminded me of something I brought up earlier, but wanted to ask for general opinions on. As we all know, Nintendo is running out of Wii U games to port, with really only Xenoblade X, the Zelda HD games, and MAYBE Star Fox Zero (if they can fix the controls) left. But recently, they announced that Miitopia of all things is getting a Switch port. That game was on the 3DS. So that got me thinking, what if this is them testing the waters for more 3DS-Switch ports? Give stuff like Kid Icarus, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., and Ever Oasis another chance?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This reminded me of something I brought up earlier, but wanted to ask for general opinions on. As we all know, Nintendo is running out of Wii U games to port, with really only Xenoblade X, the Zelda HD games, and MAYBE Star Fox Zero (if they can fix the controls) left. But recently, they announced that Miitopia of all things is getting a Switch port. That game was on the 3DS. So that got me thinking, what if this is them testing the waters for more 3DS-Switch ports? Give stuff like Kid Icarus, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., and Ever Oasis another chance?
And the Project X Zone games 🤞maybe even 3 with more Nintendo peeps, Bayonetta, maybe Square Enix and Atlus cross over...

... you saw nothing YEET

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sakurai always makes a spot for a Pokemon.

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon

This is the same man who added a FE Fates character soon after its Japanese release and a FE Three Houses soon after that game came out. Do not doubt Sakurai's desire to add Pokemon and FE Lords.
Nah after Pyra/Mythra I heavily doubt the prospect of a Pokemon character for two main reasons.

1) That Gen 8 spirit event that released after the announcement of more DLC for Smash.
2) The window of promoting Gen 8 has passed, a new Pokemon game might be released this year and if a Pokemon is in the cards it would've made sense to reveal it by now.

Admittedly I gave Pokemon a pass for the first point because I thought revealing a spirit event for the game's launch would make sense if the Pokemon fighter is gonna be some time away. But now the fourth character pack has been revealed and there is still no Pokemon in sight, and the window of promoting gen 8 has pretty much passed away. Byleth released in Smash about half a year after his game's release to promote 3H, it's been over a year since SwSh released, that's double the usual waiting time for promoting your game.

I used to be a doomer about Pokemon getting a slot in Pass 2 but now I doubt their chances after the latest reveal. It just doesn't make sense to delay the Pokemon fighter more and more away if they're actually planned.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sakurai always makes a spot for a Pokemon.

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon

This is the same man who added a FE Fates character soon after its Japanese release and a FE Three Houses soon after that game came out. Do not doubt Sakurai's desire to add Pokemon and FE Lords.
Well for one thing, Sakurai isn't picking the DLC here, and for another, both Corrin and Byleth were requests for new games, and Fire Emblem just so happened to be one of the hot new titles within the timeframe (Sakurai's comments on Corrin even suggest that his colleagues had to do some convincing to have him be the pick).

They may reserve slots each game for the next generation so that they can have a newer character from one of Nintendo's biggest series. It makes sense, as it's a safe pick, but there's no evidence to suggest that they absolutely will add one for the DLC just to have one, especially considering that a smaller series with a more relevant entry has already shown to take priority.

Could they still pick a Pokémon? Absolutely. Is it a given? Absolutely not.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Tbh, these statements from Nintendo are pretty much the biggest reason why I see post-V2 DLC as unlikely, but not completely impossible (even if the team takes a small break).

Splatoon 3 is probably gonna be kept alive for at least 2 or 3 years, and if Octo Expansion is any indication, a DLC expansion is pretty likely. Thing is, it's still a good year or so away from launch.

Animal Crossing still gets updates, so there's that too. but other than these two and Smash, there's no other big first party titles with this level of long term-support. Unless, of course, they announce MK9 or the next Pokémon soon.

So it does make sense to keep the Ultimate train going as long as they possibly can. DLC is probably selling well enough to warrant it, too. But the question is always whether the team wants to do it.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Unrelated but I have a hunch we might get Sol revealed in the next two packs. Yes yes it's bias because Strive is releasing in two months but I do think that Kunio spirit event might be bread crumbs for more cooperation with ArcSys to get a fighter. I'm not super confident because Hayabusa is in the same status where we have Fatal Frame content in the base game but still no fighter from Koei Tecmo. Hopefully we get both of them. Hayabusa and Sol are awesome as hell and their moveset potential is off the roof.

Plus fire theory implies we'll get two fighters that can use fire in their moveset and these two fit that :troll:

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Just for fun and boredom, I made a rough idea of what I think 2B would look like if she were brought into Super Smash Bros, since why all know she'd have to be censored in much the same way as Pyra, Mythra, Corrin, and Bayonetta.
2B Smash Censor.png
And the Project X Zone games 🤞maybe even 3 with more Nintendo peeps, Bayonetta, maybe Square Enix and Atlus cross over...

... you saw nothing YEET
I'd love ports of Kid Icarus Uprising, Ever Oasis, and maybe even the Fire Emblem titles.
A Project x Zone 3 with more reps like Edelgard & Dimitri, Pyra/Mythra & Nia, Joker & Makoto, Aigis & Mitsuru, Yu & Yukiko, and more would be a dream. Since Atlus is now owned by Sega, it is possible too.

Unrelated but I have a hunch we might get Sol revealed in the next two packs. Yes yes it's bias because Strive is releasing in two months but I do think that Kunio spirit event might be bread crumbs for more cooperation with ArcSys to get a fighter. I'm not super confident because Hayabusa is in the same status where we have Fatal Frame content in the base game but still no fighter from Koei Tecmo. Hopefully we get both of them. Hayabusa and Sol are awesome as hell and their moveset potential is off the roof.

Plus fire theory implies we'll get two fighters that can use fire in their moveset and these two fit that :troll:

We have Fatal Frame content in Smash because Nintendo bought half the rights to the series going forward from the Wii era, so every new game is half-owned by them, which is why the content appears in Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just for fun and boredom, I made a rough idea of what I think 2B would look like if she were brought into Super Smash Bros, since why all know she'd have to be censored in much the same way as Pyra, Mythra, Corrin, and Bayonetta.
View attachment 304472

I'd love ports of Kid Icarus Uprising, Ever Oasis, and maybe even the Fire Emblem titles.
A Project x Zone 3 with more reps like Edelgard & Dimitri, Pyra/Mythra & Nia, Joker & Makoto, Aigis & Mitsuru, Yu & Yukiko, and more would be a dream. Since Atlus is now owned by Sega, it is possible too.

We have Fatal Frame content in Smash because Nintendo bought half the rights to the series going forward from the Wii era, so every new game is half-owned by them, which is why the content appears in Smash.
throw in S-E into PXZ3 while you're at it. Cloud & Tifa as a duo, Sephiroth as a boss unit, Luminary as a solo, maybe even a Square character not in Smash yet like Neku

Chrom and Fiora weren't in Smash yet when they got added into 2 with Lucina (and even then only Chrom made the jump to Playable in Ult) so maybe throw in more not-yet-in-smash Nintendo peeps too like Elma, Akira Howard, Pearl & Marina, Black Shadow as another Boss unit...

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So it does make sense to keep the Ultimate train going as long as they possibly can. DLC is probably selling well enough to warrant it, too. But the question is always whether the team wants to do it.
If Nintendo really really wants more DLC or a new smash game, I can totally see them outsourcing some new smash content to a different team.

D

Deleted member

Pokémon is evergreen when it comes to
promotion. If they wanted one, yeah Sword and Shield’s window may have passed, but there’s no reason they couldn’t add something like Garchomp or Infernape to tie in to Diamond and Pearl remakes if they really wanted to. Ignore Lucario already existing pls

-

There’s no reason to expect more fighters post volume 2. Sakurai said this is it, and even if he continues development it’d probably be for an Ultimate DX on the Switch’s successor. I can’t even imagine going at this for another year.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Pokémon is evergreen when it comes to
promotion. If they wanted one, yeah Sword and Shield’s window may have passed, but there’s no reason they couldn’t add something like Garchomp or Infernape to tie in to Diamond and Pearl remakes if they really wanted to. Ignore Lucario already existing pls

-

There’s no reason to expect more fighters post volume 2. Sakurai said this is it, and even if he continues development it’d probably be for an Ultimate DX on the Switch’s successor. I can’t even imagine going at this for another year.
I don't really expect an Ultimate DX.

Pillow

Smash Lord
View attachment 304472

If 2B came they'd probably give her stockings and then cover up her chest. It'd be less effort than what they did to censor Bayo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they wanted one, yeah Sword and Shield’s window may have passed, but there’s no reason they couldn’t add something like Garchomp or Infernape to tie in to Diamond and Pearl remakes if they really wanted to. Ignore Lucario already existing pls
You don't really have to; It's pretty obvious that a shiny new character would be better promotion than people remembering that an older one is still on the roster, even if they were reminded.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Y'know, I was wondering something...

Since Splatoon 3 is still on the Switch when we already have Splatoon 2, d'you think we might end up with a second Smash? Helmed by a different developer, maybe? Not sure how likely it would be, but it's a thought.
We've had one Smash yes, but what about second Smash?

Untitled.png

In all seriousness probably not.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Since Splatoon 3 is still on the Switch when we already have Splatoon 2, d'you think we might end up with a second Smash? Helmed by a different developer, maybe? Not sure how likely it would be, but it's a thought.
Oh man I can't wait for Super Smash Brothers 2! also known as 2uper 2ma2h Bro2.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Oh man I can't wait for Super Smash Brothers 2! Colloquially 2uper 2ma2h Bro2.
SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE...

2!

leaps into the air

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Considering development is being focused entirely on the DLC which won’t end until the end of this year, I highly doubt it because the dev cycle would just be starting in 2022 leading to a...what, 2025 release?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

If they committed to having a team dedicated to Super Smash Bros. rather than one that just works on one per console and does other stuff in the meantime like with Mario Kart, then maybe, but it would depend on whether or not the Switch is still going strong in 2026 assuming a dev period of 5 years.

Oh man I can't wait for Super Smash Brothers 2! Colloquially 2uper 2ma2h Bro2.
Pronounced "Super Smash Bros." because we needed it to be confusing.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

assuming FP2 finishes this year, and since I believe the Switch will last until 2023, that would leave like 2 years for a new Smash to be around. And that's only if it releases a year after FP2 ends.

Yeah, not seeing it.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
It’s so weird to think about the next Smash game. Like where do they even go from here? Obviously the roster will likely only be maybe a third of what Ultimate has.

I think the Switch has another 4 years of life left and I doubt the next Smash game will be in this console. And I doubt Sakurai stays for the next one. But there’s no way Nintendo doesn’t continue with the series. It makes them way too much money.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
assuming FP2 finishes this year, and since I believe the Switch will last until 2023, that would leave like 2 years for a new Smash to be around. And that's only if it releases a year after FP2 ends.

Yeah, not seeing it.
I will also note that there's this

Which implies that the Switch will go on a year or two longer than expected. That's what got the gears turning aside from Splatoon 2; There's three or four years left and they're releasing two games from the same series on the same console, so maybe there's room for another Smash?

Still, it is a bit of a risky idea.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Nintendo really really wants more DLC or a new smash game, I can totally see them outsourcing some new smash content to a different team.
on this - sakurai would of course still supervise them right? he's just not DIRECTLY involved

Ivander

Smash Legend
I absolutely cannot imagine a second Smash on Switch, especially if it's one with a smaller cast of characters. It would easily be a case of "Why should I get this Smash Bros. game with a smaller cast of characters when I can get this Smash Bros. game with the larger cast of characters?"

Another reason I can't see another Smash game on Switch is that Smash Bros. is meant to be a system seller. Smash Ultimate has already sold plenty of Switch systems. Another Smash on Switch would hardly have the same impact. Would the game sell a lot? More than likely, but the people who would buy a Switch for Smash have already done so with Smash Ultimate.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
throw in S-E into PXZ3 while you're at it. Cloud & Tifa as a duo, Sephiroth as a boss unit, Luminary as a solo, maybe even a Square character not in Smash yet like Neku

Chrom and Fiora weren't in Smash yet when they got added into 2 with Lucina (and even then only Chrom made the jump to Playable in Ult) so maybe throw in more not-yet-in-smash Nintendo peeps too like Elma, Akira Howard, Pearl & Marina, Black Shadow as another Boss unit...
Yeah, Smash didn't matter, it was the character MonolithSoft wanted to use and they probably got them due to MonolithSoft being a Nintendo 2nd Party and Intelligent Systems probably weren't hard to convince to be on board and they didn't need to convince themselves lol

Square-Enix would be awesome, but it could be harder to license for a smaller project like PxZ.
If 2B came they'd probably give her stockings and then cover up her chest. It'd be less effort than what they did to censor Bayo.
Yup, that's what I did..I did essentially what they did to Pyra and Bayonetta, covered the offending areas in Nylon. I also extended 2B's leotard to cover more area and become less of a thong leotard. Pyra gained stockings and only extended her shorts a little, Bayonetta just had the holes over her rear and thighs covered with a nylon-esque mesh, like I did with 2B's boob window.
You can compare my edit to the original here.
2B Smash Censor.png 2B.png
I tried to colour match her nylons, though the nylons appear darker in NieR Automata in-game, so I would just say my edit's version would look darker in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Ya ever boot up Smash and remember

Oh right I can have Ridley vs K,Rool vs Joker vs Minecraft Steve fight on Fountain of Dreams?

Yeah, good ****.
This is why Smash will always hold a place in my heart. Holy ****, mega man can fight terry Bogard with megalovania in the background, sephiroth can slice up the duck hunt dog. It’s truly something special

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So i've been seeing some alt edits of Pyra and Mythra renders and I just really want a KOS-MOS and T-ELOS colour now over a actual KOS-MOS mii costume especially if it's not deluxe. That is of course if KOS-MOS doesn't survive the sunder....

Like this would just make me incredibly happy

KOS-MOS T-ELOS alt smash.png

Also the dark skinned Mythra one I saw on here is also really good. But since Sakurai only has a really miniscule chance of mentioning Xenosaga I feel like it won't happen. I can dream though.....

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
They're not going to have to censor 2B because it won't be her that's getting into Smash.

That's right.

View attachment 304479View attachment 304480

Nier for Smash Bros.
I don't think they'd choose Nier for the NieR rep since 2B is more popular and, most likely, much more requested. It would be a situation similar to Cloud where he was the obvious pick for Final Fantasy as the face of the series..much like 2B is for NieR, ironically..I mean, even for the first game, Nier was kinda overshadowed by Kainé and Emil.
I also kinda think NieR Automata Spirits would be easier since Kainé is kinda really important to NieR Replicant/Gestalt but censoring her art kinda takes away a lot of her character since she wears revealing lingerie for a purpose, to reclaim her feminitity from those that mocked and demonized her for being an Intersex woman. A2 would make sense to be okay to censor a little since her revealing appearance isn't as important to her character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom