• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So here's something to do. Make up a new Echo Fighter. But that Echo Fighter has to be from a different franchise to the Fighter they are Echoing.
Hope that never happens. But I'll play along.

:ultmewtwo: - Giygas [Earthbound Beginnings]

That’s a big part of why Crono seems like a good sleeper pick in my opinion. The fact that he hasn't shown up as a Mii costume or Spirit despite his name being mentioned alongside the rest of the Square 7 is very fishy. He would have been such an obvious Mii costume to include with Hero or Sephiroth.
Well they gotta save something for the Miis they add alongside Sora. It can't just be 5 Keyblade Swordsmen.

The big ol' Hollywood ones that get so ridiculous that one of them opens up with an army of clones taking over a facility before they all get killed by Wesker, or something like that.
I like how you say that like RE's actual plot is less stupid.

Shall I point us back to the mold hillbillies, or the giant vampire ladies, or...

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Basically;
Hero - represents Dragon Quest, one of Square Enix’s two biggest IPs
Sephiroth - represents the other half of Final Fantasy VII, the most popular entry in Square’s other legacy IP
????? - represents the rest of Square Enix as a whole, maybe? May come with Chrono series content whether or not that challenger pack is the focus?
There would be a very important series in the history of video games and of Nintendo.

Masayuki Uemura.png
miyamoto avatar.jpg
Satoshi Tajiri.png

– Masayuki Uemura (he created the Famicom after the ex President of Nintendo making Space Invaders the subject of study among all his employees, which caused them to become obsessed).*
– Shigeru Miyamoto.*
– Satoshi Tajiri (creator of Pokémon).*

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
There would be a very important series in the history of video games and of Nintendo.

View attachment 300605 View attachment 300606 View attachment 300607
– Masayuki Uemura (he created the Famicom after the ex President of Nintendo making Space Invaders the subject of study among all his employees, which caused them to become obsessed).*
– Shigeru Miyamoto.*
– Satoshi Tajiri (creator of Pokémon).*
Space Invaders is Taito, not Square Enix. Wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in a spirit event like Tetris did, but I don't expect it'll get more than that.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Dude the list is just the names Vergeben had heard would be the Square character. It didn't even come from a single source. It was just claims Vergeben complied from those had heard circulating. No one credible, including Vergeben, has endorsed the validity of the list in its entirety. Nor should they.

It has as much validity as listing all the Capcom characters we've heard rumoured. Or the Namco characters. The fact that parts correspond is because it took the biggest names from that company. And Geno. And that's what Smash goes for. I could do the same right now with Capcom, check it out:

• Ken
  • Chun-Li
  • Jill
  • Leon
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dante
  • Zero

And guess what? Almost all those characters are or will be in the game, in some form. 6/7 have had rumours about them.

Even Vergeben would tell you that simply listing all the things you heard is the furthest thing from implying they are all credible. Just because they were publicized as a group doesn't mean they were leaked as a group. It's the opposite.
Its speculation, these were all heard names. Does that make them valid? No. Does it make them worth talking about? Yes.
We know 5 out of 7 were at least correct with their choice in character (6 if Mondo Mega is to be believed).
The names were all things heard from sources Vergeben at least considered mentionable. I fail to see why he would mention it in the first place if they weren’t worth talking about.

Also, I don’t feel like I need to dig too deep into your Capcom list considering there are no sources attached (credible or otherwise) and that most characters already have a role on it.

You seem to think I’ve tossed all caution to the wind in favor of blindly praying that a game I haven’t played gets a spirit event. I haven’t.
I’m speculating based on decently feasible information.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

I don’t think this has been discussed yet. It covers the tragic tale of PlayStation AllStars’s development. Something to note is that Sony was negotiating with Activision for Crash, but Activision was just too expensive to work with. This has been heavily speculated, but it seems like it’s confirmed now.

That’s sort of a scary thought when it comes to Crash in Smash. Hopefully Activision has changed their ways or maybe they realize getting in Smash is a good enough advertisement to offset any fees they’d usually want.
Too Expensive for PlayStation All-Stars and Too Expensive for Super Smash Bros. are two very different things. I doubt Sony threw much money at PlayStation All-Stars, which is why they also couldn't acquire Cloud, Lara Croft, or Spyro. Chances are Nintendo would find a much higher fee 'reasonable' compared to the same fee from Sony's point of view.
Super Smash Bros. also has a higher pedigree and worth than a brand new series would have had, so there's that though..although Activision is greedy, so who knows..
Basically;
Hero - represents Dragon Quest, one of Square Enix’s two biggest IPs
Sephiroth - represents the other half of Final Fantasy VII, the most popular entry in Square’s other legacy IP
????? - represents the rest of Square Enix as a whole, maybe? May come with Chrono series content whether or not that challenger pack is the focus?
I dunno, I could see them going with someone more popular like 2B if they were going to go with a 3rd Square-Enix DLC character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Its speculation, these were all heard names. Does that make them valid? No. Does it make them worth talking about? Yes.
We know 5 out of 7 were at least correct with their choice in character (6 if Mondo Mega is to be believed).
The names were all things heard from sources Vergeben at least considered mentionable. I fail to see why he would mention it in the first place if they weren’t worth talking about.

You seem to think I’ve tossed all caution to the wind in favor of blindly praying that a game I haven’t played gets a spirit event. I haven’t.
I’m speculating based on decently feasible information.
Listen, you need to separate all the names on that list from each other, because they all came from separate people. Vergeben just compiled them based on their company.

The validity of one doesn't help the validity of another, because they are seven different claims.

You can't look at it as "the list" being true or false. You have to look at each one individually. The list is just a tool to keep order of what Vergeben heard from disparate mouths. It's not the same person providing all the info, like Gematsu or something.

And, tangentially, most of it isn't true. The claim was Geno would be a character. He's not. The claim was Slime would be a character. It's not. The claim was Sora would be a character. He's not. To have the default assumption be that they knew about intention and scrapped plans is giving them the benefit of the doubt that 99% of leakers don't deserve. If a random person said Sora was going to be playable, we wouldn't assume they knew about the talks that didn't materialize. We would assume, almost definitely correctly so, that they were just making it up.

Why do these people, these anonymous nameless people that, unlike his other claims, Vergeben was not confidant enough to endorse, get the benefit of the doubt? Because they were lucky enough to be listed alongside a character that got in, on a compendium of claims? That makes no sense. That's letting the credibility of one claim bleed into half a dozen others that don't deserve it. Least of which, frankly, is Crono.

And that's not an indictment of the character. And that's not a criticism of just talking about him. Feel free. But you guys weren't just talking, you were conflating one credible source with other less credible ones, with those who were just associated by proximity.

Also, I don’t feel like I need to dig too deep into your Capcom list considering there are no sources attached (credible or otherwise) and that most characters already have a role on it.
Zero and Ken were claimed by Vergeben at one point or another, Chun Li has the Chun Leak, Monster Hunter was on one of those Japanese leaks that wouldn't die, Dante was claimed by the guy who had correct DMC info, and Jill was rumoured by the lady who first outed Banjo. I didn't just pull 6/7 having been subject to notable claims out of my butt.

And btw, despite not being credible, that's better sourcing than you'll get from the Seven Squares list, which is just Verg saying "somebody told me".

And most of those characters already having a role is exactly my point. Those were the biggest Capcom characters from the same period Vergeben was accruing his claims, and all but Dante have or will wind up with roles. That's my point. When the biggest characters from a company obtain roles in Smash, it doesn't validate every claim that had them, because Smash takes from the top, making that the expectation anyway, fuelling false claims.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Too Expensive for PlayStation All-Stars and Too Expensive for Super Smash Bros. are two very different things. I doubt Sony threw much money at PlayStation All-Stars, which is why they also couldn't acquire Cloud, Lara Croft, or Spyro. Chances are Nintendo would find a much higher fee 'reasonable' compared to the same fee from Sony's point of view.
Super Smash Bros. also has a higher pedigree and worth than a brand new series would have had, so there's that though..although Activision is greedy, so who knows..

I dunno, I could see them going with someone more popular like 2B if they were going to go with a 3rd Square-Enix DLC character.
We've been over this, Lara Croft not making the cut on PSABR had nothing to do with the nonexistent dev team but rather poor timing. Not to mention that the video linked has someone who worked on the game say that Cloud was denied due to a lack of trust as the game was an unproven concept with barely proven developers. Though budget issues likely were a factor for Cloud looking at Soul Calibur
Zero and Ken were claimed by Vergeben at one point or another
I'm sorry, when did Verge ever say Zero was in?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, so...
-Tails got skinned for the Miis
-Zero is a flat zero on the playable side (Technically he's got a Mii but I'm not passing up on this joke)
-Phoenix Wright is even more of a zero than Zero
-Noctis is no

I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard of this more. I kinda remember hearing it in an EventHubs comment a year or two ago, but never here. You'd think this would get brought up more.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Huh. This was well before he had actual info I guess but it's funny how people who claim he's a fraud used Minecraft as proof instead of this
Okay, so...
-Tails got skinned for the Miis
-Zero is a flat zero on the playable side (Technically he's got a Mii but I'm not passing up on this joke)
-Phoenix Wright is even more of a zero than Zero
-Noctis is no

I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard of this more. I kinda remember hearing it in an EventHubs comment a year or two ago, but never here. You'd think this would get brought up more.
People don't seem to know about this. I guess it's because it pre-dated his correct claims, so he wasn't really on the radar yet.

Tbh I don't hold it against Vergeben because it seems like once he actually got a real source, all his claims eventually materialized (keeping in mind the Square list wasn't a claim, it was just him sharing names he had heard - the only claim was getting another SE character). I do think he's generally credible in terms of Smash, but this just underscores why you should always, always remain skeptical.

And never assume some nameless random genuinely knows which third-parties were attempted but never successfully acquired. That's very rare insight.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
People don't seem to know about this. I guess it's because it pre-dated his correct claims, so he wasn't really on the radar yet.

Tbh I don't hold it against Vergeben because it seems like once he actually got a real source, all his claims eventually materialized (keeping in mind the Square list wasn't a claim, it was just him sharing names he had heard - the only claim was getting another SE character). I do think he's generally credible in terms of Smash, but this just underscores why you should always, always remain skeptical.

And never assume some nameless random genuinely knows which third-parties were attempted but never successfully acquired. That's very rare insight.
It's actually been confirmed multiple times that Vergeben was just like Sabi, Hotgirlvideos69 and various other leakers who stole information from others without crediting them and leaked them without care of who would lose their jobs.

In other words, Vergeben took all the base Ultimate information he had from people in a group (that I believe Stealth was in, can't quite remember who the leaker was) which was shared with him with the rule that it wasn't to be leaked to not ruin the fun of reveals. Verge flipped them the double bird and did it anyway, gaining a source or two along the way before burning every bridge he had. As far as I know he's actually out of the game for Smash and hasn't been super credible with other games either, although he's not worth shutting out completely. His actions cost the jobs of lots of people and lost us a couple of sources worth trusting.

Real piece a' work, that one. Not nearly as bad as Sabi though.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I mean, for the fourth SE character I left the door open for anyone. 2B, Neku, anyone else...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's actually been confirmed multiple times that Vergeben was just like Sabi, Hotgirlvideos69 and various other leakers who stole information from others without crediting them and leaked them without care of who would lose their jobs.

In other words, Vergeben took all the base Ultimate information he had from people in a group (that I believe Stealth was in, can't quite remember who the leaker was) which was shared with him with the rule that it wasn't to be leaked to not ruin the fun of reveals. Verge flipped them the double bird and did it anyway, gaining a source or two along the way before burning every bridge he had. As far as I know he's actually out of the game for Smash and hasn't been super credible with other games either, although he's not worth shutting out completely. His actions cost the jobs of lots of people and lost us a couple of sources worth trusting.

Real piece a' work, that one. Not nearly as bad as Sabi though.
Verge outright said he got them from sources and got approached for legit leaks by someone who was willing to leak, let me guess, the source on Vergeben is the guy who only said Sabi's a blackmailer cause he got banned from Sabi's server for constantly yapping and magically got new sources as a reward for exposing Sabi's blackmailing from the whimsical leak faeries?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I don’t think this has been discussed yet. It covers the tragic tale of PlayStation AllStars’s development. Something to note is that Sony was negotiating with Activision for Crash, but Activision was just too expensive to work with. This has been heavily speculated, but it seems like it’s confirmed now.

That’s sort of a scary thought when it comes to Crash in Smash. Hopefully Activision has changed their ways or maybe they realize getting in Smash is a good enough advertisement to offset any fees they’d usually want.
A lot of people have already brought up that Smash has a larger budget than PlayStation All Stars and they're 100% right there.

Unfortunately I think it's also worth remembering that Crash Bandicoot wasn't seen as nearly as profitable as it currently is now since the series had been dormant for years at the time of request with no immediate plans to revive it.

Since then Crash has only become more profitable and Activision has showcased repeatedly they're one of the most greedy money grabbing companies in gaming.

I'm not saying Crash won't or can't happen, but I do think the asking price for Crash is going to be a lot bigger than PlayStation All Stars asking price.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yasuo (League of Legends)
Sephiroth Echo

....uhhhhh. i am actually awful at movesets lmao, think you could back me up here 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus ?
...To be completely clear, if this ever happened, count me in among the salt crowd. For more than one reason.

For argument's sake, you could use Wind Wall as D-Special, but unlike Scintilla it would deal no damage and would only block projectiles. Sweeping Blade also fits Up Special rather well - except it only has the Blade Dash part. Steel Tempest would probably replace the three Flares. If you wanted, you could make it based on charging instead of stacks like in the original. No idea what to do with Side Special tho.

But hey, if you wanna go for the full Yasuo experience, you could also give him a slightly weaker version of Hero's Critical Hit. :4pacman:

SKX31

Smash Master
It was a such a strange and dumb idea that I couldn't resist really. It was also a challenge to myself to see if a dumb idea could make for a viable Echo. Needless to say, it's difficult to justify that to say the least.

...To be completely clear, if this ever happened, count me in among the salt crowd. For more than one reason.

For argument's sake, you could use Wind Wall as D-Special, but unlike Scintilla it would deal no damage and would only block projectiles. Sweeping Blade also fits Up Special rather well - except it only has the Blade Dash part. Steel Tempest would probably replace the three Flares. If you wanted, you could make it based on charging instead of stacks like in the original. No idea what to do with Side Special tho.

But hey, if you wanna go for the full Yasuo experience, you could also give him a slightly weaker version of Hero's Critical Hit. :4pacman:
Slightly weaker would probably mean you're still killing at like 40 %. Okay, Yasuo would in this scenario not have access to Oophm / Psyche Up...

... but Rie's idea was to have Yasuo be a Sephiroth echo, right? Implying that the sword length would help Yasuo kill more reliably than Hero's Smashes (and apparently Steel Tempest Crits too, which is... something) And I assume that we're replacing Winged Form with Way of the Wanderer... which increases his Crit chance lets say every time he uses a B move (even if those Crits = less damage, it's still a Crit)?

The casual (or hell, even the entire) Smash fanbase in that scenario:

Yasuo is giving me some really strong Phantom Assassin vibes - a Dota 2 character whose entire gameplan is Critting with Autoattacks and her Q. She's not fun to go up against.[/ispolier]

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It was a such a strange and dumb idea that I couldn't resist really. It was also a challenge to myself to see if a dumb idea could make for a viable Echo. Needless to say, it's difficult to justify that to say the least.

Slightly weaker would probably mean you're still killing at like 40 %. Okay, Yasuo would in this scenario not have access to Oophm / Psyche Up...

... but Rie's idea was to have Yasuo be a Sephiroth echo, right? Implying that the sword length would help Yasuo kill more reliably than Hero's Smashes (and apparently Steel Tempest Crits too, which is... something) And I assume that we're replacing Winged Form with Way of the Wanderer... which increases his Crit chance lets say every time he uses a B move (even if those Crits = less damage, it's still a Crit)?

Yasuo is giving me some really strong Phantom Assassin vibes - a Dota 2 character whose entire gameplan is Critting with Autoattacks and her Q. She's not fun to go up against.[/ispolier]
i see that i'll be unleashing chaos like this

good. 😈

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

My point exactly. Sephiroth's range and power with Hero's crits - even if nerfed - does not sound like something you'd want to mess with. And that's ignoring Yasuo's presumed specials in this scenario. For those unaware, that includes a wall that completely nullifies projectiles and a faster Shield Breaker that would turn into a projectile tornado that knocks you up every two hits and/or charge (considering we're deliberately making him a Sephiroth echo).

If you didn't hate Yasuo before, you certainly would now.

On the other hand, I feel like **** might actually be one of the most on-the-nose representations of an obnoxious overloaded MOBA kit, so... hooray?

Also, for your spoiler, it wouldn't surprise me too much. A lot of early champions in League are directly inspired by Dota, and to this day there are some ideas stuck here and there.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Who are your predictions for the final three of FP2? Mine are:

CP9: Rex & Pyra
CP10: Dr. Eggman
CP11: Dante

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

FP9: KOS-MOS if the 5ch rumor is true; Elma if not
FP10: Crash if 5ch rumor is true; Ahri or LoL rep if not
FP11: Reimu Hakurei (regardless of if 5ch is true) or for some reason, Octoling

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman

Wonder how things would've turned out of ND stayed as developers for this game. Surely they had more than enough clout to get some big names.

Edit: It's also weird how Super Bot didn't go to capcom for Ryu. They put him in a Family Guy x American Dad game for Gods sake. They probably could have gotten him in PSAS.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Predictions of mine are pretty solid right now:
CP9: Shantae
CP10: Heavy
CP11: Otto Matic

Reality: Will probably be anyone except these three, the last one especially.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

At this point I only want Estelle in the game, hell at this point I just want Trails music. I've changed my predictions constantly in fact I've changed them so much 2 of the slots have 3 choices haha....

9. Crash or maybe Reimu
10. Don-chan or Dante or Monster Hunter
11. Estelle

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom