• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not sure about the order but I'm still sticking to these three:

Rex
Crash
Hayabusa

Honorable Mentions: Gen 8 Pokemon, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Who are your predictions for the final three of FP2? Mine are:

CP9: Rex & Pyra
CP10: Dr. Eggman
CP11: Dante
I'm still pretty locked into this scenario:

CP9: Chun-Li or Dante, leaning a little more towards Chun-Li just based on a gut feeling.
CP10: Hayabusa
CP11: Cinderace

No more major DLC extensions: This'll be it.

Small possibility for an Echo bundle at the end to cap the game off with some extra fanservice.

That's what I'm feelin'. We'll see what actually ends up happening. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Mine are:
CP9: Euden
CP10: Hayabusa
CP11: Zarude
Finally, someone that isn’t Rillaboom, Cinderace or Urshifu :shades:

if we got a gen 8 I’d prefer Calyrex the most cause I like alien looking stuff, but Zarude is cool I get to make ZARUDE SANDSTORM memes despite the fact it actually cannot learn Sandstorm

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Smash also has a substantially higher budget than PSASBR did.
Hopefully that’ll end up helping if Nintendo was actually interested in Crash.

A lot of people have already brought up that Smash has a larger budget than PlayStation All Stars and they're 100% right there.

Unfortunately I think it's also worth remembering that Crash Bandicoot wasn't seen as nearly as profitable as it currently is now since the series had been dormant for years at the time of request with no immediate plans to revive it.

Since then Crash has only become more profitable and Activision has showcased repeatedly they're one of the most greedy money grabbing companies in gaming.

I'm not saying Crash won't or can't happen, but I do think the asking price for Crash is going to be a lot bigger than PlayStation All Stars asking price.
Yeah that’s definitely a big fear of mine. But hopefully they’d be smart enough to realize Smash could help further Crash’s return.

As for the Square leak convo I started, I just think it’s something to keep in the back of my mind. I definitely don’t think it confirms Crono; it’s possible the Crono part was just a fake leak or it fell through. But it’s interesting to note IMO.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I'd go with:

CP9: Ryu Hayabusa
CP10: League of Legends rep (bet on Ahri)
CP11: Rex & Pyra

The order doesn't really matter too much. It's the exact same as my previous prediction, except taking out Dante because of Sephiroth.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209

CP9: A video game character
CP10: A video game character
CP11: A video game character

To be fair, I did say I believe the Hunter will be CP9 or 10, and that another first party won't be happening.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

In no particular order, my guess would be Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa, and Crash Bandicoot.

I'd prefer Dante over Monster Hunter, but I feel like Monster Hunter is going to get in either because it's extremely popular in Japan or because Rise is coming out on the Switch and I could see Capcom wanting to use Smash DLC to promote that. (I'm not super familiar with Monster Hunter - I've only played Tri, so I'm not sure about other reasons beyond that)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey uh

when was that 7-11 ad supposed to be taken down? Cause this week’s update was Animal Crossing...

MattX20

Smash Hero
The characters I'm thinking have a decent shot for the remaining 3 character spots are Hayabusa, Lloyd Irving, KOS-MOS, Crash Bandicoot, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and Shantae.

Hey uh

when was that 7-11 ad supposed to be taken down? Cause this week’s update was Animal Crossing...
It was taken down on Sunday the 24th

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Hey uh

I don't think we'll know for sure what the big thing is this week until the end of tomorrow. It could be that earlier speculation was right and that the news of Mario 3D World and New Pokemon Snap during 1/10 - 1/16 was just a one off update and that the cycle of week to week news won't really begin until February.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The latest 711 was most likely intended for Sephiroth given how he's not on the ad itself, and the process of print ads are done a good ways ahead of time. The Game Awards reveal was very likely a last minute decision

blackghost

Smash Champion
chun-li
cinderace
ahri

ahri will be the wtf pick. she comes across as an extremely popular character sitting square in the smash fans blindspot.

chun-li will launch with a dante mii costume.

MattX20

Smash Hero
How could the Game Awards be a last minute thing when it was planned out months in advance?
Because print ads are done a good ways back, and Nintendo allows the licensing for their properties to be advertised in a specific timeframe. How else can you explain why the ad doesn't feature Sephiroth when over weeks after his reveal and release became public knowledge?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m still amazed that we got no Xenoblade X music in the base roster and that Terry came with 50 tracks, some that are original remixes.
And it’s not like Hiroyuki Sawano’s music is difficult to obtain - Uncontrollable and Wir fliegen were included in Xenoblade 2’s expansion pass with Elma

this is how she can still win. (No, really)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Jeez, I really don't think I can make a precise prediction as to which three are next. There's too many potential candidates, to the point where I'd have to pretty much ride on personal bias and gut feelings that only last for like a week. Might have to alternatively do a series of posts where I quickly go through what there is to say about all the candidates in a given category of characters. I'd prolly have more fun doing that than trying to aim 3 darts blindfolded

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If I had to go with my gut then it's telling me...

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Gen 8 Pokemon
3. Ryu Hayabusa

In no particular order, But I do think Crash Bandicoot makes the most sense for an E3/Digital event reveal.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd have to pretty much ride on personal bias
I'll admit I'm riding on my desire to not have to wait ten years to see if certain characters have a chance then.

Hot take: Sakurai should've never said the next Smash might be ten years away. That's another reason why I want certain characters playable NOW NOW NOW instead of waiting until next game and supporting Crash until then.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

My predictions are usually a roulette wheel, but as of recent I think they've sorta solidified. There's six characters I'm predicting here, though only two are solid:
  • Reimu - Still hanging on to the indie rep idea (And bias). That, and the fact that Touhou is huge in Japan, to ludicrous degrees. While it hasn't been officially translated, that's just ZUN letting the fans do it for him because he knows they'll put one out in a day or two, and I think that shows that Touhou. Besides, there's a fair bit of translated Touhou games on the Switch; I'd say that'll do too.
  • Lloyd - Might be a bit of a risky pick with the Mii Costume and all, but I'm sticking with this guy. Tales is a massive series in Japan, and owned by Bandai-Namco themselves, no less. Interestingly, it also has absolutely nothing in the base game; Every other returning third-party Mii Costume from SSB4 has a Spirit, an Assist Trophy, a cameo in Pac-Man's Namco Roulette, or at least someone else from their series. I believe that Nintendo intentionally withheld Tales, feeling that Bamco would get too much of the base game's profits in the base game with all their other series. Lloyd himself is by far the most popular Tales character in the Smash fanbase, which Nintendo would be most likely to appeal to, so I believe that he'd be the one in this scenario.
  • Nintendo character - There's a couple to choose from, so I'm using a quick umbrella and then going over which ones I'm going with.
    • Isaac - You've heard it a million times now. Popular character, may have a new game on the horizon. He'd be a fan-favorite like Banjo, mainly; Of course, popularity isn't the end-all be-all, or we'd have the likes of Shadow, Lyn, Geno, and Isaac himself already.
    • Euden - Another uncommon pick. Mainly, I'm going off of his complete nonexistence in the base game; You'd think a fairly large new Nintendo IP-And their first original mobile game, no less-Would get at least something, but nope, nothing. Especially odd, now that it's gotten big crossovers with Mega Man, Monster Hunter, and Persona 5. The lack of EU port could cause some issues, but a recent release that's in two major regions is at least in a better place than Takamaru.
    • Rex - Probably the clearest pick out of the first-parties. XC2 did quite well and was the breakout hit for both MonoSoft and Xeno. This got Rex a ton of requests, especially in Japan (Or so I hear). XC2 is still getting promoted, even with XCDE; It's shown up in magazines alongside it, and they're hung up together on MonoSoft's Twitter banner. One could raise the argument of his Mii Costume, but that's a free bonus and it was available Day One; Heck, we got Nia in the base game and she's not even the main character. I think he's fair game.
    • Bandana Dee - The most recent edition to the club. While DLC doesn't seem to favor repeat series as much, I think he's doing pretty well beyond that. He's a popular request, he's very relevant in recent games, and Kirby might have an upcoming game to push soon. Wouldn't say he's the frontrunner, but I'd say he's someone to keep an eye on.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500

I want the 5ch leak with Crash, KOS-MOS, & Reimu to be real, but my predictions are, in no particular order:

First party character: I’m really feeling Monolith Soft is gonna get something. Rex seems pretty likely, but after Sephiroth, I feel like the chances for Elma or Melia appearing in this pass also raised up a bit.

Capcom or Namco: If we get Capcom, Dante is my guess. Just feels like Capcom is the kind of company that would want to showcase as many of their franchises as possible in Smash. For Namco, my main guess is Yuri. I’d put Lloyd as well, but I’m not that confident in any of the Mii costumes getting upgraded. My other guesses for Namco would be Nightmare, a Dark Souls character, and KOS-MOS.

Character from a Japanese company with a decent relationship with Nintendo (think SNK-tier company): Koei Tecmo & Hayabusa come to mind, but I feel NIS has also been pretty buddy-buddy with Nintendo lately. I can see Laharl happening.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Who are your predictions for the final three of FP2?
Hayabusa
Chun-Li or Monster Hunter
Arle, hopefully

Not really a whole lot we can decipher at the moment so I'm just along for the ride as far as that last character goes. I'd be pretty surprised not to get something from Koei Tecmo and Capcom though, so I'm pretty firm in those predictions.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I want the 5ch leak with Crash, KOS-MOS, & Reimu to be real, but my predictions are, in no particular order:

First party character: I’m really feeling Monolith Soft is gonna get something. Rex seems pretty likely, but after Sephiroth, I feel like the chances for Elma or Melia appearing in this pass also raised up a bit.

Capcom or Namco: If we get Capcom, Dante is my guess. Just feels like Capcom is the kind of company that would want to showcase as many of their franchises as possible in Smash. For Namco, my main guess is Yuri. I’d put Lloyd as well, but I’m not that confident in any of the Mii costumes getting upgraded. My other guesses for Namco would be Nightmare, a Dark Souls character, and KOS-MOS.

Character from a Japanese company with a decent relationship with Nintendo (think SNK-tier company): Koei Tecmo & Hayabusa come to mind, but I feel NIS has also been pretty buddy-buddy with Nintendo lately. I can see Laharl happening.
For the third character, would you say Falcom counts as a company with a decent relationship toward Nintendo?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Jeez, I really don't think I can make a precise prediction as to which three are next. There's too many potential candidates, to the point where I'd have to pretty much ride on personal bias and gut feelings that only last for like a week. Might have to alternatively do a series of posts where I quickly go through what there is to say about all the candidates in a given category of characters. I'd prolly have more fun doing that than trying to aim 3 darts blindfolded
I feel your pain. Following Steve & Sephiroth, I've given up trying to figure out who's next, regardless of patterns, rumors, and everything in between. It's just impossible for me to do anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom