• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Of course it's useful for marketing. Sex sells.
Your eyes were likely drawn to the word sex before you even read the rest of this post.

The first advertisements ever made were for prostitutes selling their wares by writing messages on their shoes and walking in sand and dirt and the Coca-Cola bottle was allegedly designed after Mae West's figure to push sales up.

VIllage has been talked about more than ever when the incredibly tall vampire woman and her daughters turned up.
For those not in to women, Chris' extra wide body has earned him some additional fans.

That said Nintendo has dabbled a bit with a few of it's characters but I don't think it'll ever be their most important aspect for selling their family friendly games, especially for Smash.

Bayonetta is likely to be the extent Smash does it as Sakurai's comments on Mai Shiranui seem to indicate that overtly sexual elements aren't likely to make it into Smash. We further see this in the removal of Tharja's trophy, and the edits made to Mythra's spirit picture to make her outfit more modest.

...that one backfired a bit for some as they claimed it was even sexier, but the intent was there.
Yeah screw the horny police honestly, give us shirtless Luigi with the Mr. L mask. It's what the people want.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I wonder what that would mean for a potential Smash appearance. Do you think they would go with a protagonist due to that? Or is it fine as long as, within the Silent Hill series, he's specifically James' personal nightmare? Or would they mind, but Nintendo wouldn't care?
I don't think they would mind a crossover setting. Like the reason the creator wasn't a fan of Pyramid Head in the later games and the movie was because without James, Pyramid Head loses alot of purpose and symbolism. He's practically in the later games and the movie because he's frickin' popular and has an very memorable design, but without any of the stuff that made him meaningful and important.
In a crossover setting, the stuff doesn't really matter since it's all for style points, so I don't think the creator would mind if Pyramid Head appeared in Smash, even without James. It's in the main Silent Hill content(like the main series and the movies) where it's a big deal because outside of Silent Hill 2, he's just there for style points whereas in Silent Hill 2, he was a much needed wheel to Silent Hill 2's story and to it's main character James. So much of Silent Hill 2 and James' character and development is shown in a very different light if you take away Pyramid Head's importance to James and simply make it a mere entity.

That said, I don't think the original creator can input anything since I don't think he's part of Konami anymore. But I don't think he would mind Pyramid Head in Smash Bros. since the symbolism and purpose is not needed there.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't think they would mind a crossover setting. Like the reason the creator wasn't a fan of Pyramid Head in the later games and the movie was because without James, Pyramid Head loses alot of purpose and symbolism. He's practically in the later games and the movie because he's frickin' popular and has an very memorable design, but without any of the stuff that made him meaningful and important.
In a crossover setting, the stuff doesn't really matter since it's all for style points, so I don't think the creator would mind if Pyramid Head appeared in Smash, even without James. It's in the main Silent Hill content(like the main series and the movies) where it's a big deal because outside of Silent Hill 2, he's just there for style points whereas in Silent Hill 2, he was a much needed wheel to Silent Hill 2's story and to it's main character James. So much of Silent Hill 2 and James' character and development is shown in a very different light if you take away Pyramid Head's importance to James and simply make it a mere entity.

That said, I don't think the original creator can input anything since I don't think he's part of Konami anymore. But I don't think he would mind Pyramid Head in Smash Bros. since the symbolism and purpose is not needed there.
Masahiro Ito, art designer of Silent Hill until Silent Hill: Origins, and creator of Pyramid Head, just works as a freelancer. So his permission wouldn't be needed for Pyramid Head in Smash. The character was included last year in Dead by Daylight and he probably wasn't contacted about that.

About crossovers and cameos yeah, I don't see anything wrong with Pyramid Head appearing in other games. In Silent Hill? I'd rather not. In fact, Ito said some time ago that if Konami ever decided to make another Silent Hill and he was part of the project, he would kill Pyramid Head at the beginning of the game lmao

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I don’t think this has been discussed yet. It covers the tragic tale of PlayStation AllStars’s development. Something to note is that Sony was negotiating with Activision for Crash, but Activision was just too expensive to work with. This has been heavily speculated, but it seems like it’s confirmed now.

That’s sort of a scary thought when it comes to Crash in Smash. Hopefully Activision has changed their ways or maybe they realize getting in Smash is a good enough advertisement to offset any fees they’d usually want.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So here's something to do. Make up a new Echo Fighter. But that Echo Fighter has to be from a different franchise to the Fighter they are Echoing.

Example:
Magnus from Kid Icarus Uprising.
Echo Fighter of Ike.
Has the following differences:
  • Up-Air is Cloud's Up Air.
  • Neutral B is the same as Ike's, but conjures up a tornado instead of a fire burst. At smaller charge, the tornado will be small and simply push away foes. At higher charge, the tornado will be bigger, pull in and damage foes at the centre. If at max charge, the tornado will damage any that is within range and will pull to the centre while damaging foes. This is a reference to the tornado the Magnus Club conjures up, but Magnus himself also uses the Tornado attack during his Chapter 24 fight in Kid Icarus Uprising.
  • Side-B is also like Ike's, but when the foe is hit, the player can press the B button to follow-up with a second strike that will launch the foe. This is a reference to the normal 2-hit melee combo used by Clubs in Kid Icarus Uprising.
  • Up-B is Shulk's Up-B.
  • In some attacks, the end of the sword deals more damage compared to the middle.
Zero from Mega Man X
Echo of Cloud
  • Neutral B is Hadangeki, functions similarly
  • Side B now only deals three hits, and it's his three-hit combo from X4
  • Down B is now a charge shot (like Samus') from his Buster, limit is gone
  • Up B is Ryuenjin, functions like Roy's
  • Final Smash is Rekkoha
  • Neutral air is Kuenzan
  • Majority of moves and stats are otherwise unchanged

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I don’t think this has been discussed yet. It covers the tragic tale of PlayStation AllStars’s development. Something to note is that Sony was negotiating with Activision for Crash, but Activision was just too expensive to work with. This has been heavily speculated, but it seems like it’s confirmed now.

That’s sort of a scary thought when it comes to Crash in Smash. Hopefully Activision has changed their ways or maybe they realize getting in Smash is a good enough advertisement to offset any fees they’d usually want.
Smash also has a substantially higher budget than PSASBR did.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So here's something to do. Make up a new Echo Fighter. But that Echo Fighter has to be from a different franchise to the Fighter they are Echoing.

Example:
Magnus from Kid Icarus Uprising.
Echo Fighter of Ike.
Has the following differences:
  • Up-Air is Cloud's Up Air.
  • Neutral B is the same as Ike's, but conjures up a tornado instead of a fire burst. At smaller charge, the tornado will be small and simply push away foes. At higher charge, the tornado will be bigger, pull in and damage foes at the centre. If at max charge, the tornado will damage any that is within range and will pull to the centre while damaging foes. This is a reference to the tornado the Magnus Club conjures up, but Magnus himself also uses the Tornado attack during his Chapter 24 fight in Kid Icarus Uprising.
  • Side-B is also like Ike's, but when the foe is hit, the player can press the B button to follow-up with a second strike that will launch the foe. This is a reference to the normal 2-hit melee combo used by Clubs in Kid Icarus Uprising.
  • Up-B is Shulk's Up-B.
  • In some attacks, the end of the sword deals more damage compared to the middle.
Yasuo (League of Legends)
Sephiroth Echo

....uhhhhh. i am actually awful at movesets lmao, think you could back me up here 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus ?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Smash also has a substantially higher budget than PSASBR did.
And significantly more prestige and brand name and respect in the industry due to being an established well selling franchise for over 20 years rather than a brand new start up series with an uncertain possibility of success.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I still think it’s suspicious that he’s the only one on the 7 Squares list that isn’t already in Smash in some form or has been mentioned by insiders (Sora).
That’s actually a very thought provoking point. It seems like the Square 7 were all at least negotiated for in some form, whether or not their current role was intended from the beginning is unclear. But Crono might actually be something to look out for, as a Spirit event or maybe even mii costume.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still think it’s suspicious that he’s the only one on the 7 Squares list that isn’t already in Smash in some form or has been mentioned by insiders (Sora).
That’s actually a very thought provoking point. It seems like the Square 7 were all at least negotiated for in some form, whether or not their current role was intended from the beginning is unclear. But Crono might actually be something to look out for, as a Spirit event or maybe even mii costume.
It's as suspicious as any other character claimed by some dubious, unknown "insider" not actually ending up being included. Which is no short list. That is the basis of the Square list; names that had been heard.

Don't read into it so much. When silence is suspicious, there's isn't anything that won't be.

MP4 trailer as this weeks Nintendo news?
Right after the Mother 3 teaser.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
It's as suspicious as any other character claimed by some dubious, unknown "insider" not actually ending up being included. Which is no short list. That is the basis of the Square list; names that had been heard.

Don't read into it so much. When silence is suspicious, there's isn't anything that won't be.
Weren’t the Square Seven Claimed by multiple different sources? And all these discussed characters except for Chrono and Sora have been included in some way? I’d say thats a far ways off from “dubious” y’know?

The names being heard is whats suspicious, since its these names specifically. 2B and Laura weren’t mentioned despite being Square so either these were actual names, or the fake leaker throwing darts at a board got 5/7 predictions through blind luck.

Now, I’m not gonna claim anything like a challenger pack. But this does make me ponder something like a Chrono Trigger Spirit event or Mii costume.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Weren’t the Square Seven Claimed by multiple different sources? And all these discussed characters except for Chrono have been included in some way? I’d say thats a far ways off from “dubious” y’know?

The names being heard is whats suspicious, since its these names specifically. 2B and Laura weren’t mentioned despite being Square so either these were actual names, or the fake leaker throwing darts at a board got 6/7 predictions through blind luck.

Now, I’m not gonna claim anything like a challenger pack. But this does make me ponder something like a Spirit event or Mii costume.
Tfw Neku wasn’t on that list ;-;

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Five Nights at Freddy's was as influential to the Horror genre, as Resident Evil 1 was back in the day. It's the one that got Kids into Horror Genres the most, and had heavy influence on the youtube scene. However I think the biggest thing is that Unlike Resident Evil, the characters to represent FNAF would be the actual animatronics, So you get to have the feeling of playing the part of the horror monster, and the opponents get that feeling of survival horror
Uhhh, I wouldn’t go that far. FNAF was certainly influential, but RE kinda made the new norm. I can’t think of many Horror Games after RE that didn’t take something from it.

FNAF spawned a host of fan games and certainly drew the majority of public attention, but its not like tons of other gaming franchises suddenly started copying or taking heavy inspiration from it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Uhhh, I wouldn’t go that far. FNAF was certainly influential, but RE kinda made the new norm. I can’t think of many Horror Games after RE that didn’t take something from it.

FNAF spawned a host of fan games and certainly drew the majority of public attention, but its not like tons of other gaming franchises suddenly started copying or taking heavy inspiration from it.
It inspired a few movies, though. One of them has Nicholas Cage, even!

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
That’s a big part of why Crono seems like a good sleeper pick in my opinion. The fact that he hasn't shown up as a Mii costume or Spirit despite his name being mentioned alongside the rest of the Square 7 is very fishy. He would have been such an obvious Mii costume to include with Hero or Sephiroth. It's possible that he just wasn't prioritized, or Square wasn't willing to strike a good deal for the costume, but I'm having some trouble believing that. Maybe we'll get a Spirit event and/or costume in the near future, but if that doesn't happen by the end of this pass, I'm gonna mark him down as a strong possibility for Fighters Pass 3 (assuming we even get FP3. I'm kinda 50/50 on that currently).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That’s a big part of the reason Crono feels like a good sleeper pick, in my opinion. The fact that he hasn't shown up as a Mii costume or spirit despite his name being mentioned alongside the rest of the Square 7 is very fishy. He would have been such an obvious Mii costume to include with Hero or Sephiroth. It's possible that he just wasn't prioritized, or Square wasn't willing to strike a good deal for the costume, but I'm having some trouble believing that. Maybe we'll get a Spirit event and/or costume in the near future, but if that doesn't happen by the end of this pass, I'm gonna mark him down as a strong possibility for Fighters Pass 3 (assuming we even get FP3. I'm kinda 50/50 on that currently).
Basically;
Hero - represents Dragon Quest, one of Square Enix’s two biggest IPs
Sephiroth - represents the other half of Final Fantasy VII, the most popular entry in Square’s other legacy IP
????? - represents the rest of Square Enix as a whole, maybe? May come with Chrono series content whether or not that challenger pack is the focus?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
FNAF was a popular horror game that did revolutionize the genre by basically innovating a new type of horror game, but its mainstream popularity seems more in-line with streamers and content creators in the early 2010s, because FNAF really only got as big as it did when people like Markiplier were showing it off.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Even on Smash Boards I can’t escape the cage. Damn you Wicker Man! I should rewatch that movie, first I gotta watch the RE movie series though.
I'll warn ya, if you're looking for some cool fight scenes, then they're pretty good. If you're looking for Resident Evil movies though, they're utter garbage.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'll warn ya, if you're looking for some cool fight scenes, then they're pretty good. If you're looking for Resident Evil movies though, they're utter garbage.
The theatrical ones or the CGI ones? Cause the CGI ones (like Damnation) are actually pretty decent

Theatrical ones are crap tho I agree

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The theatrical ones or the CGI ones? Cause the CGI ones (like Damnation) are actually pretty decent

The big ol' Hollywood ones that get so ridiculous that one of them opens up with an army of clones taking over a facility before they all get killed by Wesker, or something like that.

Like I said: Terrible use of the IP, but the end result had a lot of fun moments if that doesn't bother you. There's a reason why there's about 5 of them.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I really like FNAF but I also really like Resident Evil and those 2 things seem incomparable when it comes to size and influence, Resi has it beat 10 fold.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Didn't the CGI ones have Chris and some other guy running in circles while shooting at each other's feet at such close range that it would be more efficient to just punch the guy?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Weren’t the Square Seven Claimed by multiple different sources? And all these discussed characters except for Chrono have been included in some way? I’d say thats a far ways off from “dubious” y’know?

The names being heard is whats suspicious, since its these names specifically. 2B and Laura weren’t mentioned despite being Square so either these were actual names, or the fake leaker throwing darts at a board got 6/7 predictions through blind luck.

Now, I’m not gonna claim anything like a challenger pack. But this does make me ponder something like a Spirit event or Mii costume.
Dude the list is just the names Vergeben had heard would be the Square character. It didn't even come from a single source. It was just claims Vergeben complied from those had heard circulating. No one credible, including Vergeben, has endorsed the validity of the list in its entirety. Nor should they.

It has as much validity as listing all the Capcom characters we've heard rumoured. Or the Namco characters. The fact that parts correspond is because it took the biggest names from that company. And Geno. And that's what Smash goes for. I could do the same right now with Capcom, check it out:

• Ken
  • Chun-Li
  • Jill
  • Leon
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dante
  • Zero

And guess what? Almost all those characters are or will be in the game, in some form. 6/7 have had rumours about them.

Even Vergeben would tell you that simply listing all the things you heard is the furthest thing from implying they are all credible. Just because they were publicized as a group doesn't mean they were leaked as a group. It's the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom