• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the content matters less than Freddy looking creepy. And yes, I do believe he's still creepy looking out of the context of the game. At the very least, there's the possibility that some kids might be afraid of it, which is a definite no no as Sakurai definitely isn't in the business of scaring kids. On the other hand, I suppose Marx is also kind of a creepy toy looking thing that's in the game, but he's a much more optional encounter than bumping into lots of Freddy brawlers online.
Huh...To me it doesn't look any creepier than actual restaurant mascots so this is a surprise. I always thought the designs had to heavily rely on atmosphere and framing, which is why you hardly ever see them move. Even the nightmare designs feel like they're trying too hard. It's like, we get it. You have teeth...maybe I'm just desensitized to the whole thing. Though...isn't a sizeable chunk of the fanbase made out of children? I seem to recall that being the case, but maybe not.

As for the whole Marx thing, he may not be mandatory to see, but he isn't hidden either. If they thought he was too scary, he simply wouldn't be there. Or at least, he wouldn't attack you with his nervous system and his eyes wouldn't bulge out of his head and explode.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Huh...To me it doesn't look any creepier than actual restaurant mascots so this is a surprise. I always thought the designs had to heavily rely on atmosphere and framing, which is why you hardly ever see them move. Even the nightmare designs feel like they're trying too hard. It's like, we get it. You have teeth...maybe I'm just desensitized to the whole thing. Though...isn't a sizeable chunk of the fanbase made out of children? I seem to recall that being the case, but maybe not.

As for the whole Marx thing, he may not be mandatory to see, but he isn't hidden either. If they thought he was too scary, he simply wouldn't be there. Or at least, he wouldn't attack you with his nervous system and his eyes wouldn't bulge out of his head and explode.
For me it's the eyes that make it stand out. Though you're right he's not much different from Chuck E Cheese animatronics, which was kind of the point because some people are legit terrified of those. I believe most of his fanbase is young teens? Though I could be wrong here, I think the game is largely popular because of online playthroughs and watching reactions of people on youtube, so I'm not really familiar with the game's fanbase that well. I mean, I don't really care one way or another if Freddie is added personally, as he's definitely iconic in his own way. I just have doubts that it's the type of character that Sakurai really cares to represent in his game.

If Freddy does get added as a Mii costume, y'all better get ready for that Pyramid Head playable character hype.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Talking about all this stuff like “Sakurai would never add something that scares kids” and then proceeds to make a Castlevania trailer that’s 90% horror inspired.
The elements even therein on Simons stage is pretty creepy stuff.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'll take the opportunity while we're talking about horror to once again say that Resident Evil was robbed.
I think it would've been really fun if the Capcom wars included Resident Evil in the mix to fight Monster Hunter.

Would be quite the discussion point of "highest selling overall franchise" vs "highest selling single game"

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think it would've been really fun if the Capcom wars included Resident Evil in the mix to fight Monster Hunter.

Would be quite the discussion point of "highest selling overall franchise" vs "highest selling single game"
Plus both series have significant ties to Nintendo.

In any case I'm pretty convinced Resident Evil will have more content in the next Smash game, maybe not a playable character but maybe a similar treatment to Monster Hunter in Ultimate's base game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

If Resident Evil was still part of the equation, I'd probably be arguing in its favor. I was pretty damn confident in its odds during FP1 so imagine my surprise seeing the RE crew randomly appear as a spirit event that night. The series really has all the merit in the world, just held back by its grotesque imagery I'd imagine.

Capcom's biggest series, massively influential for its currently unrepresented genre, popular / iconic characters in their own right and hell, Resident Evil has a lot more Nintendo clout than people give it credit for too. RE4 was intended to be a GC exclusive, RE1 Remake WAS Nintendo exclusive for quite a while and I recall RE Revelations on 3DS being a pretty big deal at the time.

But hey, maybe it's for the better that we wait until next time. This way we can get Jill AND Leon as each other's echo fighters, right? Maybe?

God dammit Capcom has too many great choices.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Plus both series have significant ties to Nintendo.

In any case I'm pretty convinced Resident Evil will have more content in the next Smash game, maybe not a playable character but maybe a similar treatment to Monster Hunter in Ultimate's base game.
Co-op Survival mode like the cruel modes but fighting random enemies from various series with bosses in between would be really cool.

If Resident Evil was still part of the equation, I'd probably be arguing in its favor. I was pretty damn confident in its odds during FP1 so imagine my surprise seeing the RE crew randomly appear as a spirit event that night. The series really has all the merit in the world, just held back by its grotesque imagery I'd imagine.

Capcom's biggest series, massively influential for its currently unrepresented genre, popular / iconic characters in their own right and hell, Resident Evil has a lot more Nintendo clout than people give it credit for too. RE4 was intended to be a GC exclusive, RE1 Remake WAS Nintendo exclusive for quite a while and I recall RE Revelations on 3DS being a pretty big deal at the time.

But hey, maybe it's for the better that we wait until next time. This way we can get Jill AND Leon as each other's echo fighters, right? Maybe?

God dammit Capcom has too many great choices.
Yeah Capcom needs more content in Smash for sure. I think RE was most deserving, but I'd take Ace Attorney or DMC too.

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Co-op Survival mode like the cruel modes but fighting random enemies from various series with bosses in between would be really cool.

Yeah Capcom needs more content in Smash for sure. I think RE was most deserving, but I'd take Ace Attorney or DMC too.
I'd be more than happy with Dante in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly horror series in general would be interesting to see:
  • Resident Evil's character would likely be one of the original protagonists and/or Leon, and take a lot from their survival horror roots.
    • Wesker would 100% be the second character from this series not including clones and such, and I'd imagine he'd take the more actioney route with cool stuff that is cool.
  • A Five Nights at Freddy's character would almost certainly be Freddy himself rather than any of the protagonists (especially since none of them have official designs outside of minigames with pixel graphics that probably don't actually exist in the game's world, though that might change with this next one), which probably means he'd flip the script and make you manage your resources rather than doing it himself.
  • Silent Hill's character would probably be a toss up between Jason and Pyramid Head. Jason would probably do the whole survival horror shtick differently from the Resident Evil characters (iirc his main method of attack is melee based rather than with guns, but it's very committal), and Pyramid Head would likely have something like tons of super armour in exchange for being so slow that his "dash" is actually just him walking faster.
    • It'd be funny if they added Jason first, and then used that as the justification as to why Pyramid Head is in the game.
There's probably more, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Capcom All-Stars Versus when?

Seriously Capcom, make a stand-alone Versus game with Capcom characters. Or Sega VS. Capcom.
We already discussed Nintendo vs Capcom a ways back in the thread, but Sega vs. Capcom would also be killer. I mean, you basically have some golden matchups already just based off premise. Put Sonic vs Mega Man and Dante vs Bayonetta on the front of the box, they're basically made to be.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
  • Silent Hill's character would probably be a toss up between Jason and Pyramid Head. Jason would probably do the whole survival horror shtick differently from the Resident Evil characters (iirc his main method of attack is melee based rather than with guns, but it's very committal), and Pyramid Head would likely have something like tons of super armour in exchange for being so slow that his "dash" is actually just him walking faster.
    • It'd be funny if they added Jason first, and then used that as the justification as to why Pyramid Head is in the game.
Just to make sure I’m following this right, you mean James, not Jason, right?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Still waiting on Nintendo vs. Capcom.

Come on guys, you know you want it.
I'd rather Sega Vs. Capcom. Cause:
-Sega has just as many cool and underutilised franchises. And has just as many crossovers I want to see happen with Capcom. Not just Sonic & Megaman, but also Resident Evil & House of the Dead, Viewtiful Joe & Comix Zone, Final Fight & Steets of Rage, Monster Hunter & Phantasy Star, Devil May Cry & Bayonetta, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
-I feel like with a Nintendo Vs. Capcom, too many of the characters on Nintendo's side will have already been playable in Smash and that there won't be alot of variety to really distinguish itself from Smash.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The crazy thing about a hypothetical Super Smash Bros. game on the NES is that Kirby probably wouldn't be in it. Assuming development started at the last 5 years of the console's life, Kirby's Adventure would have come out after the roster would have been locked into place.
Eh. Kirby's Dream Land was out before then. GB game obviously. But nobody said Smash NES had to be characters that originated on NES.

Talking about all this stuff like “Sakurai would never add something that scares kids” and then proceeds to make a Castlevania trailer that’s 90% horror inspired.
I don't think it being scary is actually the issue. It's what that game is actually about.

On the surface, that game is about animatronics at a Chuck E. Cheese that go haywire and try to kill the security guard.

When you start learning the lore, you find out it's about a serial killer in a mascot costume at a Chuck E. Cheese that murdered a bunch of kids, stuffed their bodies inside of the animatronics and now their tortured souls are turning the robots murderous.

Capcom All-Stars Versus when?
Seriously! Just make Capcom Vs. Capcom already!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
imma say it again yall

"do you have a better idea?"

yes. i do.

project x zone 3.

heck maybe add Square Enix, Konami, SNK and Atlus to it, adding the likes of Cloud, Luminary, Sephiroth, Terry, Joker, the Belmonts and Snake. and the overdue additions of Shulk and Bayonetta.

my headcanon is that PXZ is canon to smash ever since Fiora, Chrom and Lucina were in 2, I will die on this hill

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Still waiting on Nintendo vs. Capcom.

Come on guys, you know you want it.
Honestly? I'd kind of like to see a Nintendo VS Sega more, personally.

On the topic of Sega in Smash: I still feel pretty confident that it's probably Arle or nothin' at this point, and the lack of a Spirit event for Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is giving me some hope, but we'll see. Sakurai and co. have sprung Spirits on us way after release dates before, I'm definitely prepared for them to do it again. :p

'Course, I'd love to see Yakuza, it's just that I'm not sure how much I'd bank on it. Majima gets my vote for the slot, though: I wanna beat up Mario with funny Wahoo Knife Man.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eh. Kirby's Dream Land was out before then. GB game obviously. But nobody said Smash NES has to be characters that originated on NES.
Ah, I didn't know that they were making handhelds yet. Must have overlooked that when I was theorycrafting.

A little lmao. Though if we did end up getting a protagonist from SH as a character, it seems like Cheryl would be the better choice. As she is connected to both 1 and 3. Along with getting into SHs DBD crossover.
Well, I dunno who Cheryl is but I like the name at least so I'd be on board with that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah, I didn't know that they were making handhelds yet. Must have overlooked that when I was theorycrafting.

Well, I dunno who Cheryl is but I like the name at least so I'd be on board with that.
Cheryl is also known as Heather Mason, the protagonist of 3 and Harry's adopted daughter

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally

Five Nights at Freddy's >>> Resident Evil, for Playable characters

Five Nights at Freddy's was as influential to the Horror genre, as Resident Evil 1 was back in the day. It's the one that got Kids into Horror Genres the most, and had heavy influence on the youtube scene. However I think the biggest thing is that Unlike Resident Evil, the characters to represent FNAF would be the actual animatronics, So you get to have the feeling of playing the part of the horror monster, and the opponents get that feeling of survival horror

Resident Evil I would say is a more important franchise though. More Legacy, More influence on gaming as a whole, and etc

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, the NES was one of those consoles where they kept making games for over 10 years.

The last Nintendo developed NES game was Wario's Woods, which came out in 1994. The GB had been out for 5 years by then, and the SNES had been out 3 years.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
A little lmao. Though if we did end up getting a protagonist from SH as a character, it seems like Cheryl would be the better choice. As she is connected to both 1 and 3. Along with getting into SHs DBD crossover.
It'd definitely be Heather over James. But I'd argue that Pyramid Head is pretty much the face of the franchise and would get into Smash first, even if not as a playable character. It's kind of a similar situation to Rathalos. While Heather and James are actual characters, unlike the Monster Hunters, they're just less iconic and memorable than Pyramid Head. Monster Hunter is about monsters, and Silent Hill is...also about monsters.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
  • Resident Evil's character would likely be one of the original protagonists and/or Leon, and take a lot from their survival horror roots.
    • Wesker would 100% be the second character from this series not including clones and such, and I'd imagine he'd take the more actioney route with cool stuff that is cool.
  • A Five Nights at Freddy's character would almost certainly be Freddy himself rather than any of the protagonists (especially since none of them have official designs outside of minigames with pixel graphics that probably don't actually exist in the game's world, though that might change with this next one), which probably means he'd flip the script and make you manage your resources rather than doing it himself.
I think you meant James, not Jason.

If they stick to protagonists I'd rather have Heather to be honest. Pyramid Head is more recognizable and all, but she's just great. Best protag in the series.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
It'd definitely be Heather over James. But I'd argue that Pyramid Head is pretty much the face of the franchise and would get into Smash first, even if not as a playable character. It's kind of a similar situation to Rathalos. While Heather and James are actual characters, unlike the Monster Hunters, they're just less iconic and memorable than Pyramid Head. Monster Hunter is about monsters, and Silent Hill is...also about monsters.
That’s basically my thoughts summed up. Pyramid Head is my personal choice but if we had to get a protagonist I’d want Cheryl.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm afraid to ask this, but since Resident Evil was mentioned, I need to ask this

Do you think that cases like that Vampire Woman in Resident Evil village, as well as stuff like Shirtless Sephiroth, show that Attractiveness/Sexyiness is something that is useful for marketing/selling the game to people? And could we see Nintendo capitalize on this more in the future of Smash, maybe perhaps through Paid DLC costumes?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm afraid to ask this, but since Resident Evil was mentioned, I need to ask this

Do you think that cases like that Vampire Woman in Resident Evil village, as well as stuff like Shirtless Sephiroth, show that Attractiveness/Sexyiness is something that is useful for marketing/selling the game to people? And could we see Nintendo capitalize on this more in the future of Smash, maybe perhaps through Paid DLC costumes?
POV: horny jail | Go To Horny Jail | Know Your Meme

Bottom Text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom