• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Uh oh, guess what time it is? That's right, it's Fire Emblem Discussion Time (patent pending)! Today, we have the interim results for CYL5:

First, I need you all to vote for Gatekeeper. He probably won't be able to beat Marth (apparently he's winning by a landslide), but at least make sure he keeps second place.

Secondly, you may notice that Female Byleth is in second place for the Women's Division. I wonder how Smash fans would react to that...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yep.

I guess Street Fighter V is actually, like Street Fighter 82 then?
SFV is SFV. Smash Ultimate is Smash 6, both because that's how Sakurai rolls with it and that's how numbers work.

Don't tell me you're going to just disagree with Sakurai on his own damn game. :191:

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
SFV is SFV. Smash Ultimate is Smash 6, both because that's how Sakurai rolls with it and that's how numbers work.

Don't tell me you're going to just disagree with Sakurai on his own damn game. :191:
I don't know about him but I disagree with sakurai's desicions on a lot of things.

Including the notion that smash 3DS is a separate game from smash Wii U

cashregister9

Smash Hero
When it comes to Sega I'm actually feeling oddly confident

Is it my bias, Probably yeah but Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Sakura Wars and Phantasy Star are all quite likely in my opinion for any content not just a fighter.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I mean the mistaking for Ultimate as Smash 5 instead of Smash 6 is understandable given how much the SNES version is so forgotten these days:

Guess that's what it gets for coming so late in the systems lifespan.
Not again. This one particular game in Melee has haunted me for years!

Snes melee.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You say this, but there have been a lot of fake leaks that have come out recently and predicted him. He wasn't on your radar and definately wasn't on mine, but a lot of people saw him coming a mile off.
Yes, there were people that paid attention to how Final Fantasy's content was lacking enough for an FFVII challenger pack to not be redundant. But there were enough people reluctant about the idea of a third-party series getting another unique fighter, as :ultrichter::ultken::ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2: were additional reps for a third party franchise but were all clones/alts, and they were paying attention to series with even less content in Smash. As in zero. No fighters, no stages, no songs. Or at least games that had content in Smash, but not fighters. Or they wanted Eggman to be the first playable third-party villain.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Uh oh, guess what time it is? That's right, it's Fire Emblem Discussion Time (patent pending)! Today, we have the interim results for CYL5:

First, I need you all to vote for Gatekeeper. He probably won't be able to beat Marth (apparently he's winning by a landslide), but at least make sure he keeps second place.

Secondly, you may notice that Female Byleth is in second place for the Women's Division. I wonder how Smash fans would react to that...
I really don't get why fire emblem fans are defending femaly Byleth this hard. This has to be one of the worst female character design I've ever seen in a JRPG. It's just so bad there's nothing to defend here.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

The three I've voted for so far have been Male Byleth, Ninian, and Sue... I kind of want to keep trying for Male Byleth since he's 4th, although he probably won't make it into the top 2. A lot of people have been pushing for Chrom since the interim results have been released, partially for Chrom himself and partially to knock Gatekeeper out of the top 2. So since the battle will probably be between Marth, Chrom, and Gatekeeper, I guess I'll throw my hat in for Gatekeeper. Just the notion of a Brave Gatekeeper unit is really funny

I want to eventually see the vote counts, especially with male vs. female Byleth. At least with Smash, I see a lot of people who play/prefer female Byleth, so I'd be interested in seeing how their numbers compare in the FE fanbase. I play as both put prefer male Byleth slightly

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I really don't get why fire emblem fans are defending femaly Byleth this hard. This has to be one of the worst female character design I've ever seen in a JRPG. It's just so bad there's nothing to defend here.
It really helps that those who win the CYL poll get a special outfit, so you can be hyped for FByleth even if you don’t like Ye Hotte Topick thingshe has going on.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It really helps that those who win the CYL poll get a special outfit, so you can be hyped for FByleth even if you don’t like Ye Hotte Topick thingshe has going on.
Thats's fair, but this is why I think that these poll doesn't mean a lot for who's actually popular. Then people will use this poll to say "hoes mad haha F Byleth = good" when really this poll means nothing. If people vote her to change her outfit, it just confirm that the character was sh*t in the first place.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Remember, the girl version is always more popular :4pacman:

Speaking seriously, I'd imagine there's at least some fans that latched onto them by virtue of being the player character. Now that the three Lords are out of the way, this opens up more room for Byleth. It might also be that those who are also fans of Smash who liked Byleth and/or cooled off on her after the reveal, allowing for people who got into the series from there to move in and add an extra bit of popularity.

Or maybe people just want to curse us with The Enlightened One outfit

osby

Smash Obsessed
You can like a character without not being a fan of their design. I know quite a lot of her fans affectionately make fun of her frankly terrible fashion sense.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Thats's fair, but this is why I think that these poll doesn't mean a lot for who's actually popular. Then people will use this poll to say "hoes mad haha F Byleth = good" when really this poll means nothing. If people vote her to change her outfit, it just confirm that the character was sh*t in the first place.
Robin and Corrin should be more than enough to show that the Avatars, even Byleth, can have a legitimate fanbase. Especially their dialogue outside of the main games, like Smash Bros, Heroes, Warriors, etc. Not to mention their Support interactions that help bring out some good character development out of other characters.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The Fire Emblem Avatars are kind of interesting to look at with their approach to being avatars:
  • Robin is essentially a normal character that, while really likable, doesn't quite do the job of being the eyes you see the game through.
  • Corrin goes the other way with this, but they're still treated like they're a normal character so a lot of people get turned off to them not really reacting to all of the turmoil as they should. Like, in Birthright, their Hoshidan family insults his Nohr family due to the hostilities between them, and Corrin doesn't really take offense to that despite his Nohr family being the one he grew up with, and still loves. The fact that they're based off of a kirin does put some things into perspective though.
  • Byleth also tries to walk the line between being a character that's treated like any other and not really being a normal character, and does so much better than Corrin does. Their unnatural stoicism is used as a point of intrigue rather than just having it be there to bore people. It probably also helps that they have no dialogue outside of responses that you can make in certain scenes so all conversations with them are about the other character rather than Byleth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Whenever someone mentions Kiryu my mind immediately shoots to Mechagodzilla rather than Yakuza. These past few pages had me seriously confused for a hot minute.View attachment 300554
In that case you should play Yakuza to experience the joys of the series, especially the sidequests, just today, I did an infamous sidequest about helping a remembers your age on second thought maybe wait, keep an eye out for it when you're older

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
In that case you should play Yakuza to experience the joys of the series, especially the sidequests, just today, I did an infamous sidequest about helping a remembers your age on second thought maybe wait, keep an eye out for it when you're older
Is it worse than Silent Hill? Cause if not I can probably take it. Its too late for me to be shielded from no nos lmao.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is it worse than Silent Hill? Cause if not I can probably take it. Its too late for me to be shielded from no nos lmao.
I don't think a horror game is exactly the best comparison but Yakuza has the tendency to get really disturbing and inapropriate, whether it's the serious crime drama of the main story, the goofy ass sidequests, or creepy elements that get shown in the more serious sidequests. It's especially ripe with sexual stuff so I think 14's a tad too young to play them

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I don't think a horror game is exactly the best comparison but Yakuza has the tendency to get really disturbing and inapropriate, whether it's the serious crime drama of the main story, the goofy ass sidequests, or creepy elements that get shown in the more serious sidequests. It's especially ripe with sexual stuff so I think 14's a tad too young to play them
Well, if you say so.

Back to Smash, who does everyone think is up for a deconfirming via Spirit event or mii costume?
My bets on either Ace Attorney or DMC.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Tbh at this point between missing out by a hair's bredth in multiple CYL and Smash 4, Chrom losing his spot to some other character is a bigger meme than Gatekeeper ever could hope to be.

That said, I started voting for Chrom every day before I even knew Gatekeeper was voteable and I think I'll continue voting for Chrom. Having recently replayed Awakening after Three Houses, Chrom's fast become my favourite FE character.

I will say that this has probably been the most interesting CYL has been since it started thanks to Gatekeeper being the memers pick, and anti-memers getting behind Marth and Chrom to try and push him off the top spots.

IS are going to be bloody kicking themselves for not adding Gatekeeper as a DLC unit though for Three Houses.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, if you say so.

Back to Smash, who does everyone think is up for a deconfirming via Spirit event or mii costume?
My bets on either Ace Attorney or DMC.
Monster Hunter Rise seems like something that might end up getting Spirited. Most new releases seem to get an event rather than a fighter, be it sequels or new IPs. I feel things are lining up a bit too well for the Hunters, and they'll go the way of Resident Evil, also known as Biohazard in Japan. Not sure if the Miis would come before them or after. I at least know Cuphead Spirits came after the Miis, but there isn't many examples to go off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom