• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I suspect we're going to get Monster Hunter Rise spirits and the return of the MonHun Mii costumes from SSB4, and that will be it for the series. My personal hunch, anyway.
i dont think theyd randomly drop costumes sans a character tho

anyway, spirit event predictions - Undertale (at long heccin last), Fortnite, Overwatch, Puyo Puyo, Ninja Gaiden... or Atelier Ryza 2 cause it releases tomorrow

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Oh yeah now that I think back on ATs being made into DLC costumes like Akira Yuki, Squid Sisters and Bomberman: think we’ll get more? Like Guile, Rodin, Alucard... Yuri Kozukata?
Shovel Knight! Shovel Knight!

Heck, the Bomberman Mii Costume is only slightly bigger than the Bomberman Assist Trophy. But Shovel Knight? Shovel Knight is just about the same height as a Mii Fighter. Not to mention that Mii Swordfighter has yet to get a costume like Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy and Bomberman. Make Shovel Knight happen!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Shovel Knight! Shovel Knight!

Heck, the Bomberman Mii Costume is only slightly bigger than the Bomberman Assist Trophy. But Shovel Knight? Shovel Knight is just about the same height as a Mii Fighter. Not to mention that Mii Swordfighter has yet to get a costume like Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy and Bomberman. Make Shovel Knight happen!
Yeah, between the indies and Bomberman, Shovel Knight seems like a perfect fit. There's other indies you could make work, but none of them would fit as well as Shovel Knight.

Also I want to make sure Reimu doesn't have any competition on the indie front

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
i dont think theyd randomly drop costumes sans a character tho

anyway, spirit event predictions - Undertale (at long heccin last), Fortnite, Overwatch, Puyo Puyo, Ninja Gaiden... or Atelier Ryza 2 cause it releases tomorrow
Clarification: wasn't saying they'd release the costumes until the next batch alongside a character.

Although there were a couple of times that SSB4's DLC did standalone DLC stages with Mii costumes in the same patch. I'm not getting my hopes up for that at this point in Ultimate, though I'd certainly be okay with it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
First, I need you all to vote for Gatekeeper. He probably won't be able to beat Marth (apparently he's winning by a landslide), but at least make sure he keeps second place.
As someone who despises Piranha Plant in Smash and joke characters in general, no, I think I'll vote for Chrom tomorrow to try to keep him out of the 2nd place. Down with meme picks.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Monster Hunter Rise seems like something that might end up getting Spirited. Most new releases seem to get an event rather than a fighter, be it sequels or new IPs. I feel things are lining up a bit too well for the Hunters, and they'll go the way of Resident Evil, also known as Biohazard in Japan. Not sure if the Miis would come before them or after. I at least know Cuphead Spirits came after the Miis, but there isn't many examples to go off of.
You know, we do have a new spirit event announcement tomorrow... I hope it's Monster Hunter Rise to celebrate the demo coming out, that way Dante would be the frontrunner again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As someone who despises Piranha Plant in Smash and joke characters in general, no, I think I'll vote for Chrom tomorrow to try to keep him out of the 2nd place. Down with meme picks.
Sorry but I really ****ing appreciate how you're literally gatekeeping a literal gatekeeper. I don't play gacha so I don't care but holy **** that's so funny to me

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Pfft, somebody doesn't like to have fun...

(This is just a joke. I'm not trying to say your decision is bad or anything. I'm just getting tired of people hating for no reason.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know, we do have a new spirit event announcement tomorrow... I hope it's Monster Hunter Rise to celebrate the demo coming out, that way Dante would be the frontrunner again.
i mean it could just be a generic themed one again like what was ALL we had after Steve

it was only after Sephiroth's reveal that the massacres resumed and we've only had one so far... i don't trust like that

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, if you say so.

Back to Smash, who does everyone think is up for a deconfirming via Spirit event or mii costume?
My bets on either Ace Attorney or DMC.
The games of characters I don't want:4pacman:

But uhhh that's hard to say really. I feel like in the coming weeks Fury Bowser will be in our spirt collections though.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fans when we get a character that is a main character or a predictable pick:
"They are so boring. Why can't we get someone more unique and less predictable?"

Fans when a non-main character gets attention over a main character:
"How would you like it if the next character in the fighter's pass is one of the heavy favorite of the Smash community?"

Smash fans cheer and agree

"And how about just the opposite, a completely off the wall fighter that one could have ever speculated about?"

"So you want a realistic heavily talked about fighter... that absolutely one sees coming or expects?"

Smash fans loudly cheer and agree

"Also you should win things when playing as them."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
and that's how numbers work.
And based on how numbers work, SFV is the 90-somethingth SF game. So why are we counting ports of Smash games as sequels, but not SF games?

Don't tell me you're going to just disagree with Sakurai on his own damn game.
I've been disagreeing with Sakuai on his own damn game since he thought adding Ice Climbers was a good idea. And many times since then.

Even if you’re construing Q Bee to not count (which I wouldn’t agree with but whatever) there are tons of unquestionably female characters in that game for Kiryu to punch.
Fair enough.

I mean the mistaking for Ultimate as Smash 5 instead of Smash 6 is understandable given how much the SNES version is so forgotten these days:
Frankly, it was bull**** to cut Bowser from Smash 64. But Fox and the Mons were cool additions.

Back to Smash, who does everyone think is up for a deconfirming via Spirit event or mii costume?
Really hoping for a Reimu Mii Gunner w/ song.

Funny that you have been playing smash my whole life

Otoad64

Smash Lord
"How would you like it if the next character in the fighter's pass is one of the heavy favorite of the Smash community?"

"And how about just the opposite, a completely off the wall fighter that one could have ever speculated about?"

"So you want a realistic heavily talked about fighter... that absolutely one sees coming or expects?"

Smash fans loudly cheer and agree

"Also you should win things when playing as them."
what about a character heavily talked about but usually brushed off as unlikely?

I know I'd be suprised.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
what about a character heavily talked about but usually brushed off as unlikely?

I know I'd be suprised.
I do think he has a fairly decent shot, all things considered. As I noted yesterday:

PROS:
  • Popular request for Smash, especially in Japan apparently
  • Consistently appears throughout the series, moreso than almost any other character (From KSSU onward and only counting the main games, more than even King Dedede and Meta Knight)
  • Consistently depicted alongside the main trio
  • Made to represent the Waddle Dees, which are the second closest thing to a third pillar.
  • Potential upcoming 3D Kirby game gives incentive to push the series
CONS:
  • DLC doesn't seem to favor already-represented series.
  • Nintendo could see Kirby as being represented well enough already
Overall: Might need to put a bit of work in to get there, but he seems to be in a pretty decent spot, all things considered.
Shortened form, he's quite popular, relevant to his series, and could potentially push a new game while still represented previous titles. Of course, Nintendo might think Kirby's fine the way it is, which holds him back a bit. Still, I think we should keep a closer eye on him.

Admittedly, the 3D Kirby game is a bit of a what-if. It's more solid than most what-ifs, but there's a lot of unknown variables surrounding it. And, of course, there's the tendency to relegate new releases to Spirit Events, though with his long-standing popularity he's at least got a stronger foundation than, say, Impa. There's also the series' recent shift to continuity ever since Kumazaki took the wheel, which could help protect it from Spirit Hell by not having enough new characters to warrant a Spirit Event. But again, that's a what-if.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Pretty much anything could work as a costume. But the only ones that'd fit for a "full" costume sort of need to have a certain chibi body type that the Miis also have. That's why Indie characters usually fit so well here. Ori and Isaac (Binding of Isaac) would make great full costumes. Reimu could also maybe fit here, though it'd depend on the sort of model they gave her.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you say so.

My bets on either Ace Attorney or DMC.
My bets are on Monster Hunter getting a spirit event AND Mii Costumes next, close to when CP9 is launched. Then I’d say Tales, funnily enough, I can see BOTH Lloyd and Yuri getting Mii Costumed.

I think Ace Attorney definitely will get a Mii Costume if Dante gets in. Vice Versa applies as well.

For Nintendo’s First Party’s, I can see 3D World + BF getting a Spirit Event in the coming weeks, as well as BotW 2 later in the year (if it is coming 2021).

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much anything could work as a costume. But the only ones that'd fit for a "full" costume sort of need to have a certain chibi body type that the Miis also have. That's why Indie characters usually fit so well here. Ori and Isaac (Binding of Isaac) would make great full costumes. Reimu could also maybe fit here, though it'd depend on the sort of model they gave her.
That’s why I think Freddy has a strong chance of getting a Mii Costume.

Pillow

Smash Lord
That’s why I think Freddy has a strong chance of getting a Mii Costume.
FNAF has some issues with content I think. It's not really violent, per say, but it's about a child serial killer and his model is rather creepy and unsettling which might put him out of the running. Isaac's base game can get kinda ****ed too, but at least the base model would be kid friendly.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Man, remember when Smash NES was on the cover of Nintendo Power?

I still can't believe so many of them got cut from Smash SNES...
The crazy thing about a hypothetical Super Smash Bros. game on the NES is that Kirby probably wouldn't be in it. Assuming development started at the last 5 years of the console's life, Kirby's Adventure would have come out after the roster would have been locked into place.

FNAF has some issues with content I think. It's not really violent, per say, but it's about a child serial killer and his model is rather creepy and unsettling which might put him out of the running.
Is it? I didn't really think you could find it all that creepy out of the context of the games.

As far as content warnings go, it is about a child murderer and his victims and creations, but the worst of it is almost entirely implied or shown through pseudo-Atari graphics. It's enough to be disturbing but I wouldn't say it's worse than other horror games.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The crazy thing about a hypothetical Super Smash Bros. game on the NES is that Kirby probably wouldn't be in it. Assuming development started at the last 5 years of the console's life, Kirby's Adventure would have come out after the roster would have been locked into place.
Bad timeline, bad timeline
I refuse to accept a reality where this is no Kirby

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I can't picture a Krystal Mii Costume that doesn't look terrible. The proportions would be all wrong.
I take it you're not a big fan of Fox's costume huh.

DLC GAMEPLAY | Fox Hat + Fox Outfit For Gunner - YouTube

I don't actually want Krystal's to look like this but it probably would now that I think about it. They did it to Tails, Knuckles, KK Slider, and Isabelle (all the fur characters) as well. In a better world we'd get actual masks rather than just disturbing fur costumes.
Mii Outfits – News on Super Smash Bros. 4 (Wii U/3DS)
Mii Outfits – News on Super Smash Bros. 4 (Wii U/3DS)

Tails & Knuckles MII Fighter Costumes return in Smash Ultimate as DLC :  SonicTheHedgehog

Mii Costumes Nightmare Comic | Super Smash Brothers | Know Your Meme

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Is it? I didn't really think you could find it all that creepy out of the context of the games.

As far as content warnings go, it is about a child murderer and his victims and creations, but the worst of it is almost entirely implied or shown through pseudo-Atari graphics. It's enough to be disturbing but I wouldn't say it's worse than other horror games.
I think the content matters less than Freddy looking creepy. And yes, I do believe he's still creepy looking out of the context of the game. At the very least, there's the possibility that some kids might be afraid of it, which is a definite no no as Sakurai definitely isn't in the business of scaring kids. On the other hand, I suppose Marx is also kind of a creepy toy looking thing that's in the game, but he's a much more optional encounter than bumping into lots of Freddy brawlers online.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Well, it depends on the animatronic in Question.
The originial 4 and Toys would probably pass easily. But Springtrap literally has a decaying body in him and the Nightmares are, well, nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom