• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
These are my current predictions:
C048C18F-0CDE-4889-B20E-ECFE9C4DDC1A.png

I’m not sure if we would get this many big third party requests in one Fighters Pass, but these are all characters that I’ve been feeling really good about. I’ve flip flopped between Lloyd and Yuri, but I’m leaning towards Lloyd right now as he’s the bigger Smash request.

If I had to rank them from most to least likely, I would say Hayabusa, Lloyd, Crash. If any of them aren’t included in FP2, they'll still be my top picks for a hypothetical FP3 or the next Smash game.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yeah, he happened in 2018, when it should've been obvious which Pokemon were more popular among Alola fans, and Ultra Sun and Moon stopped being the newest Pokemon games. Also Nintendo's mainly choosing the characters, the only influence Sakurai has is if he can successfully make the characters stick out as fighters.

Don't fix this.
Ah yes, it's not like Let's Go was still considered apart of Gen 7. Also, Nintendo promoting one of their Future Titles is something they wouldn't pass up if given the chance. And considering the Pokemon Priority each Smash Game has received in the past (:lucario: :4greninja: :ultincineroar: ), I wouldn't be surprised if the mix of Deliberately New Characters being chosen, Nintendo wanting to Promote, and Pokemon Priority, get us Zarude.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Let's Go was still considered apart of Gen 7
Yeah, but Incineroar was completely irrelevant to it. Don't forget Lucario wasn't the only Pokemon newcomer in Brawl.

Seems like you're just way too focused on the idea that Nintendo would want to put in as many of their absolutely newest characters as possible.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Wasn’t the first one technically post launch? Albeit in pass 1

this time it’s in pass 2!
The SWSH spirits being only Pokemon known about before the actual launch because Game Freak was hella more secretive about even their starters (between you and me, terrible idea) so the common defence is that these were picked so as not to spoil the new Pokemon. I find this a lot more reasonable than just saying "There are more Pokemon to fill in with spirit events" but also the selected spirits also happen to be some of the most popular now so... My opinion still stands that if they were going to make a SWSH fighter, they would have saved those for the spirits and thus never had a spirit event.

SwSh's post-launch, not Smash's. I'd say Urshifu, Calyrex, Galarian Slowpoke, and Zarude.
I suppose nothing really stands in the way of any Pokemon introduced in the DLC. I think as far as Smash is concerned, DLC is treated as different entries based on whatever the name of the expansion they came with. So I suppose I'll have to swallow in my bias against those fellas and give it to them that if a Pokemon rep is possible and if they are, Nintendo would have wanted to specifically highlight the DLC.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The SWSH spirits being only Pokemon known about before the actual launch because Game Freak was hella more secretive about even their starters (between you and me, terrible idea) so the common defence is that these were picked so as not to spoil the new Pokemon. I find this a lot more reasonable than just saying "There are more Pokemon to fill in with spirit events" but also the selected spirits also happen to be some of the most popular now so... My opinion still stands that if they were going to make a SWSH fighter, they would have saved those for the spirits and thus never had a spirit event.

I suppose nothing really stands in the way of any Pokemon introduced in the DLC. I think as far as Smash is concerned, DLC is treated as different entries based on whatever the name of the expansion they came with. So I suppose I'll have to swallow in my bias against those fellas and give it to them that if a Pokemon rep is possible and if they are, Nintendo would have wanted to specifically highlight the DLC.
I agree that DLC is treated separately... But I also think they're given lower priority. The base game is pushed the hardest most of the time, and it's what you're going to get first anyways. Everyone's going to be more familiar with the base game content than the post-launch content, so it makes more sense to promote the former. As such, if the base game's out of the running, at the very least the chances of the DLC will tank.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don’t have predictions. I have most wanted characters. And they’re all probably unlikely at that. Sakurai is impossible to predict. All evidence could point one way and then the next character is the last one we expect.

Which isn’t to say speculation is stupid, just that nobody could ever 100% guarantee a prediction. Which is what makes it a prediction in the first place I guess but you all understand my point.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I don’t have predictions. I have most wanted characters. And they’re all probably unlikely at that. Sakurai is impossible to predict. All evidence could point one way and then the next character is the last one we expect.

Which isn’t to say speculation is stupid, just that nobody could ever 100% guarantee a prediction. Which is what makes it a prediction in the first place I guess but you all understand my point.
Yeah, but I’m always going to predict. I enjoy being surprised just as much as I enjoy being correct. I was just as hyped for Hero (one of my top predictions for FP1), as I was for Terry (a character that I never thought Sakurai would be so interested in). Speculation is fun, and I like when Sakurai throws in characters that make us completely reevaluate what’s likely.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's just fun to figure out reasons why your character might make it in. Even if sometimes it becomes figuring out why a popular prediction might not.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yeah, but Incineroar was completely irrelevant to it. Don't forget Lucario wasn't the only Pokemon newcomer in Brawl.

Seems like you're just way too focused on the idea that Nintendo would want to put in as many of their absolutely newest characters as possible.
As a matter of fact they would. Also, Pokemon Priority. Lucario was literally in the exact same boat as Zarude is in now, Debuts in Movie with Game Appearance to follow. Also, Incineroar was still a deliberately Modern Character. Actually, let's go over the First Party DLC Newcomer Trends for Smash DLC.
Corrin: After 2014.
Byleth: After 2018.
Min Min: After 2016.
See what I mean? All First Party Newcomers during DLC have fell into the Trap of being Character who were from Games AFTER the Project Plans are done. Now, let's look at The Three Pokemon again.
Lucario: Revealed after June of 2005, being Debuted Later in 2005.
Greninja: Only Concept Art lol, on top of being from a 2013 Game.
Incineroar: After December 15, 2015, from 2016.
Zarude would align perfectly with both Trends. If we don't get either a Pokemon Character of some sort, or a 2020/2021 Character of some sort I would be legitimately shocked. Zarude just so happens to fit both. Also, Piranha Plant got a Palutena's Guidence, which by itself confirms it was likely intended for Base Game, on top of Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy all being Veterans, who all returned in Smash Ultimate's Base Game. So there's that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ll admit it

I can see where the arguments for Rex still happening despite him having a costume in the first pass come from, even if I may not agree with them

but Geno is objectively, 100%, without a doubt donezo. Heck, Sephiroth’s presentation did the miis first almost as if to prove it.

you gotta let it go... the incident wasn’t your fault

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I’ll admit it

I can see where the arguments for Rex still happening despite him having a costume in the first pass come from, even if I may not agree with them

but Geno is objectively, 100%, without a doubt donezo. Heck, Sephiroth’s presentation did the miis first almost as if to prove it.

Geno died in a Car Crash it wasn't your fault my dude let go!
Whose fault is it not? Who are you guys talking to?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I’ll admit it

At the end of the day, I do feel bad for Rex fans lol. Like imagine you're told your guy was out of the running because his game came out way too late into Smash's development... and then Smash gets Byleth (admittedly in a different scenario) whose game came out like 6 months before their reveal. Okay so then Smash's next fighter is from ARMS, a game that was lumped in with Rex when Sakurai was talking about characters who barely made the cut. If Rex doesn't get in, I'm gonna feel a hell of a lot sorry because by the time Smash 6 happens, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 might be the hot new Xeno game and it's likely Rex doesn't get in at all.

I know chances are fans of Xenoblade would appreciate anyone but some are strong character loyalists and I'll give out my respect if stuff doesn't end up working for them.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, that. I was a supporter for Geno who let it go when his costume was revealed. I don't think all Geno fans on the Geno thread have, though. It would probably be good to let it go, though. It's not their fault as you said, anyway.
Oh yeah! Has the Geno Thread been removed as of late? If not then, how is it after the Mii Costume.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh yeah! Has the Geno Thread been removed as of late? If not then, how is it after the Mii Costume.
I am not sure it has been removed. Can't say much on how it was after the MIi costume other than people being upset when the thread was still open.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know people don't mean anything by it, but I'd be careful with the "Geno is dead" jokes. Might be a little too soon for some people, and I can easily see someone taking the joke personally and defending Geno. All it takes is one or two people to explain how Geno could still happen before a massive argument takes place.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You've heard about Sephiroth in a car, but get ready for: Sephiroth in a bus.

Lucas: "Please let this be a normal field trip."
Sephiroth: "With the Cap'n? No way!"

EDIT: I guess I should note that this is an unoriginal Assist Trophy joke rather than a "lol Geno ded" joke.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Guys, if you think Geno is dead, that's totally reasonable, but could we please refrain from lynching someone for simply giving their own opinion about a theoretical third pass that will likely not even happen? I mean, why aren't we interrogating people for expecting virtually ANY character? With how unpredictable Sakurai is, all of us could be wrong in the end. Let's shy away from the unnecessary gatekeeping and just let others have their fun even if we don't agree on their chances. The whole prediction thing is purely speculation anyway.

(For the record, I have no idea who's coming for the remaining DLC, but I stand by my prediction that the next character will be a gunner/zoner-type character and we will likely only get one more swordfighter if we get any at all.)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Guys, if you think Geno is dead, that's totally reasonable, but could we please refrain from lynching someone for simply giving their own opinion about a theoretical third pass that will likely not even happen? I mean, why aren't we interrogating people for expecting virtually ANY character? With how unpredictable Sakurai is, all of us could be wrong in the end. Let's shy away from the unnecessary gatekeeping and just let others have their fun even if we don't agree on their chances. The whole prediction thing is purely speculation anyway.
With that said, maybe we should stop with the Sephiroth in a car or bus jokes?

Firox

Smash Master
"Hey, guys! Let's predict who the rest of the DLC will be!"

"Crash, Ryu, Dante"
"Lloyd, Crash, Rex"
"Rex, Crash, Ryu"
"Dante, Zarude, Waluigi"
"Waluigi, Lloyd, Dante"

"KOS-MOS, Isaac, Geno"..........

"What a moron! That would never happen!"
"Quick! Spam the troll memes!"

(a couple months later)

Sakurai: "You spoke, and we listened..."

ACTUAL DLC: KOS-MOS, Isaac, Geno

LOL In all honesty, I sincerely doubt the actual DLC would end up like this, but holy hell, the sheer catastrophic amounts of salt from the Smash community would be well worth the price of admission. Karma really has a way of making the rounds.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Man, alot of me wishes that one of the new characters will bring in an update for Stage Builder that either adds more space for doing stuff or prevents space from being used up for doing backgrounds. Oh, how many stages I would re-create if I just had the space.

To be honest, alot of me wishes for more Stage Builder content in general as well as Smash Run.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I’ll admit it

Geno never really stood a chance...but jeez they could've at least upgraded the Mii costume to a "full" one. He was a perfect candidate for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom