• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
For the third character, would you say Falcom counts as a company with a decent relationship toward Nintendo?
Yeah, I suppose Falcom would fit in there as well. Can’t really decide who’d be the likeliest between Adol, Estelle, or Rean though, as I don’t have much familiarity with Falcom, but I think Estelle would be cool.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And it’s not like Hiroyuki Sawano’s music is difficult to obtain - Uncontrollable and Wir fliegen were included in Xenoblade 2’s expansion pass with Elma

this is how she can still win. (No, really)
To be fair, that was directly accompanying her. She didn't get anything beyond a Spirit in Smash, so Nintendo wouldn't be as motivated to get the licenses. Remember that Nintendo usually deals with the owners of the games-In this case, themselves-And didn't go for stuff like Checker Nights, a lot of the older Sonic songs, the bulk of Final Fantasy songs (At first), and all of Minecraft's original tracks. The XCX songs are probably in the same boat.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be fair, that was directly accompanying her. She didn't get anything beyond a Spirit in Smash, so Nintendo wouldn't be as motivated to get the licenses. Remember that Nintendo usually deals with the owners of the games-In this case, themselves-And didn't go for stuff like Checker Nights, a lot of the older Sonic songs, the bulk of Final Fantasy songs (At first), and all of Minecraft's original tracks. The XCX songs are probably in the same boat.
Elma would be like Hero and Sephiroth where there's nothing for it but to go to the external composers, so I don't think it'll be an issue here (it's not like she's gonna come with only Xenoblade Chronicles 2 music. That'd be weird.). The main issue is getting her picked in the first place.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma would be like Hero and Sephiroth where there's nothing for it but to go to the external composers, so I don't think it'll be an issue here (it's not like she's gonna come with only Xenoblade Chronicles 2 music. That'd be weird.). The main issue is getting her picked in the first place.
And if Min Min can get picked... I got my fingers crossed 🤞

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The point was that Nintendo doesn't usually go for external composers in the first place, which is why we don't have XCX tracks in the base game. I'm sure we'd get those tracks if we got an XCX pack.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Finally, someone that isn’t Rillaboom, Cinderace or Urshifu :shades:

if we got a gen 8 I’d prefer Calyrex the most cause I like alien looking stuff, but Zarude is cool I get to make ZARUDE SANDSTORM memes despite the fact it actually cannot learn Sandstorm
Zarude has an entire movie of Source Material to pull from, as well as being the only Gen 8 Pokemon with Source Material in 2021, so unless we get a New Playable Character in whatever HAL has planned, I think Zarude just... fits at the moment.

D

Deleted member

Who are your predictions for the final three of FP2?
The order of most to least wanted, it goes a little something like this:

Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors)
Billy & Jimmy (Double Dragon)
A Gen 8 Pokemon (Sword and Shield)

They've been my solid predictions since ARMS was revealed to be getting the first Challenger Pack of Vol 2, so when we reach the next Smash reveal, we'll see if it's make or break for me.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Zarude has an entire movie of Source Material to pull from, as well as being the only Gen 8 Pokemon with Source Material in 2021, so unless we get a New Playable Character in whatever HAL has planned, I think Zarude just... fits at the moment.
What if we just....don't get a 2021 character?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The issue I see with Zarude is the same Issue I have with all of the other post launch pokemon

Everyone who has purchased Sword and Shield is guaranteed to have interacted with a base game pokemon and thus is much easier to market and sell people on, and for Zarude they are only available through codes given out at very specific locations, I didn't even know Zarude was available in the US yet until I looked it up. Although Zarude does have a whole ass movie so that does help Zarude more than a few other Gen 8 pokemon.

blackghost

Smash Champion
IF (hard if) an indie gets into smash I think a character like ori or hollow knight easily beat out shantae or reimu for the slot. Ori is a tier above hollow knight and hollow knight is a tier above the other two. honestly, I only mention reimu because people here do.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
IF (hard if) an indie gets into smash I think a character like ori or hollow knight easily beat out shantae or reimu for the slot. Ori is a tier above hollow knight and hollow knight is a tier above the other two. honestly, I only mention reimu because people here do.
Aren’t Ori and Hollow Knight relatively new tho?

don’t get me wrong I like them both but I see them being mii’d or spirited away if anything. I just want Ori content in Smash period tbh 🥺

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
What if we just....don't get a 2021 character?
Corrin, Incineroar, and Byleth happened, and Sakurai would make sure it would happen. It's too consistent not to be taken into account. If we don't get a Late 2020/2021 Character this Pass I will be legitimately shocked. And yes I called Byleth in Advance lol.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Why is Ori a tier above the Knight? Why is the Knight a tier above Reimu and Shantae?
(Honestly, I misread Hollow Knight as Shovel Knight at first, and that would have made a bit more sense.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, I suppose Falcom would fit in there as well. Can’t really decide who’d be the likeliest between Adol, Estelle, or Rean though, as I don’t have much familiarity with Falcom, but I think Estelle would be cool.
As one of the resident Falcom guys, I can safely say that yeah, I'm not sure either.

Ys is by far the more influential series, but Trails seems to win out in the popularity department (Though, I suppose a plot-heavy game with tons of characters and multiple games in a row is just made to build a bigger fandom than a string of infrequent games that arnen't as connected). I think Estelle would be the Trails rep chosen, since she's prominently featured in the anniversary logo, but Rean's been the main character (Or at least, a main character) for five game straight now.

Something worth noting is that Kondo(?) has addressed Smash in an interview, saying Adol would be his first pick, but then admitting he didn't know how Adol would play (Most likely because Adol has a habit of losing all his old gear and getting new ones between games, not to mention the multiple different playstyles). He instead went to Rean, saying he'd fit in because he uses a sword. Going off of that, I'd hope that Adol would be the one chosen, because when you redo every stage in the game for Steve %$#@ing Minecraft, tying together a swordfighter with some various assorted magic artifacts should be a cinch.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Aren’t Ori and Hollow Knight relatively new tho?

don’t get me wrong I like them both but I see them being mii’d or spirited away if anything. I just want Ori content in Smash period tbh 🥺
Hollow Knight will be turning 4 this year, easily the most recent series inclusion in Smash if I’m not wrong. I still want a Hollow Knight Mii, though I would love a character.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be wild because I don't really think I ca actually make a solid prediction anymore especially since the last two fighters were characters that I actively predicted at one point and then stopped, jajaja.

Sol Badguy
Kazuma Kiryu
Melmetal (I know right, predicting a Pokemon that isn't the fire bun with the yee yee *** haircut or any other shillmon. I don't see Pokemon happening for DLC for a few reasons but if we were, I think Melmetal coming with Pokemon GO content would be way more unique than just going with a boring starter and the ew gen stuff)

Otherwise though, none of these are overtly serious. I'm pretty confident in another Sega character though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Incineroar
Yeah, he happened in 2018, when it should've been obvious which Pokemon were more popular among Alola fans, and Ultra Sun and Moon stopped being the newest Pokemon games. Also Nintendo's mainly choosing the characters, the only influence Sakurai has is if he can successfully make the characters stick out as fighters.
the ew gen
Don't fix this.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If Hollow Knight is a tier above Touhou, then where are all the Hollow Knight remixes?

No seriously I am the musicman I need those remixes I AM NOT ASKING
1611684691398.png

Paraster

Smash Lord
Why is Ori a tier above the Knight? Why is the Knight a tier above Reimu and Shantae?
(Honestly, I misread Hollow Knight as Shovel Knight at first, and that would have made a bit more sense.)
Expanding on this, I think the most likely potential indie fighters (in no particular order) are:

Shovel Knight (Effectively the makeshift mascot of modern indie games)
Shantae (Very popular among Nintendo fans)
Cadence (Cadence of Hyrule exists)
Quote (Very classic and ubiquitous; many consider Cave Story the starting point of the modern indie scene)
Reimu (Not as iconic as a symbol of indies as Quote, but older and more currently relevant)
Frisk (...Undertale)

...I just realized I accidentally made an Indie Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What is Min Min? Who is Min Min? Where is Min Min? When is Min Min? Why is Min Min? How is Min Min?
I dunno, but she's a spirit from a dead game and the only character who'd be the first ARMS rep is an assist so it's done. Better wait ten years to see if ARMS has a chance again.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
My current predictions are:

• Lloyd/Yuri or Ryu Hayabusa
  • Big character for E3 (Dante, Chun-Li, MonHun, Crash or Master Chief)
  • Nintendo character (Pokemon or Zelda)

The Tales/Ryu & Nintendo character spots are interchangeable. But I’m confident in FP10 being this summer, whether E3 happens or not.

I think a Tales character & Ryu have the most going for them right now. They have a lot of rumors supporting them. There’s also a lot outside of rumors. Like Tales not having any presence in the base roster unlike Heihachi or Gil. Koei being incredibly close to Nintendo. As well as both series being fairly popular but also probably cheap to license.

Even though we just got two huge characters, I still think we have one left. Nintendo always brings a big gun to E3 & this Pass was planned to cover two E3s. If there wasn’t another big character after Sephiroth, then they would’ve saved him for this year.

The big character spot has a lot of choices & I can’t really pinpoint one tbh; I think characters like Gordon Freeman, Tails/Eggman or Lara Croft could be up for this spot in addition to who I already mentioned.

I can’t see there only being one Nintendo character in this pass. The third parties bring most of the hype now, but this is still Nintendo’s game. It seems like the main idea behind Nintendo DLC newcomers is that they represent modern Nintendo. Pokemon & especially Zelda have been a big part of the Switch. They’re also super likely to have new games later this year or in early 2022.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
As for the hypothetical E3 2021 character, as anyone considered the possibility that the second Fighter Pass was meant to finish sometime before June 2021 but only got delayed due to the pandemic?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On a side note, IF we get a new (not themed) Spirit Event tonight what are you expecting?
For me, any of these:
  • TMS Encore so that Tsubasa isn’t the lone TMS Spirit no I will not give up on this
  • Undertale and it does the Cuphead thing if you own Sans’s costume I will not stop harping on this either
  • Overwatch, if we’re not getting Crash beforehand. Otherwise an OW event would be after Crash
  • Fortnite
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  • Atelier Ryza 2 (it comes out today and Ryza was deconfirmed by Word Of God aka the Atelier director)
  • Darkest Dungeon idc I will shill this game till my dying breath PLEASE PLAY IT 🥺
  • A Bandai Namco Spirit Event? We haven’t gotten a spirit event yet from Bamco despite costumes. Tekken seems likely
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3 at long last, unless the Wahoominati is explicitly preventing that somehow
removing XCDE Future Connected from my predictions list cause I’m hoping that’ll come after Elma. If she happens. Pls happen 🥺

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
As for the hypothetical E3 2021 character, as anyone considered the possibility that the second Fighter Pass was meant to finish sometime before June 2021 but only got delayed due to the pandemic?
Wasn’t it always December?
Sephiroths reveal was so well done that I’m not so sure anything got majorly delayed. Only thing thats seems off is the ridiculous amount of time from Byleth to Min Min.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On a side note, IF we get a new (not themed) Spirit Event tonight what are you expecting?
For me, any of these:
  • TMS Encore so that Tsubasa isn’t the lone TMS Spirit no I will not give up on this
  • Undertale and it does the Cuphead thing if you own Sans’s costume I will not stop harping on this either
  • Overwatch, if we’re not getting Crash beforehand. Otherwise an OW event would be after Crash
  • Fortnite
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  • Atelier Ryza 2 (it comes out today and Ryza was deconfirmed by Word Of God aka the Atelier director)
  • Darkest Dungeon idc I will shill this game till my dying breath PLEASE PLAY IT 🥺
  • A Bandai Namco Spirit Event? We haven’t gotten a spirit event yet from Bamco despite costumes. Tekken seems likely
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3 at long last, unless the Wahoominati is explicitly preventing that somehow
removing XCDE Future Connected from my predictions list cause I’m hoping that’ll come after Elma. If she happens. Pls happen 🥺
Post-launch SwSh Spirits. It is now double deconfirmed.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
For me, any of these:
  • Fortnite
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
I could see Puyo Puyo spirits. If themed then I'm placing my bet on spirits of characters that use their feet. mmmm feeet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Post-launch SwSh Spirits. It is now double deconfirmed.
Wasn’t the first one technically post launch? Albeit in pass 1

this time it’s in pass 2!
I could see Puyo Puyo spirits. If themed then I'm placing my bet on spirits of characters that use their feet. mmmm feeet.
Where’s that “POV you are horny on main” meme when you need it?

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
For me, any of these:
  • Fortnite
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
Yeah, I’m with you on Undertale. Seems like such a natural inclusion that I’d say its more likely to happen than not.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Wasn’t it always December?
Sephiroths reveal was so well done that I’m not so sure anything got majorly delayed. Only thing thats seems off is the ridiculous amount of time from Byleth to Min Min.
I feel like we're heading back on track. Between Byleth and Steve was probably a hodge podge of delays but Sephiroth came out damn near sooner than expected from the notion of Covid-19 and revealing a character whose game was nominated at TGA at TGA feels planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom