• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I understand the appeal of a Mario Kart with lots of guests, but if you put too many in, it stops being Mario Kart.
Pretty much this.

Smash can get away with having a ton of third-parties because it already was a crossover to begin with, so having non-Nintendo characters didn't cause Smash to stop being Smash, instead actually making its scope even bigger.

Mario Kart can't really have that luxury.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So I read a rumor about the next Mario Kart effectively becoming Nintendo Kart and finally going the Smash route. I don't know how much holds it has but that of course would be awesome. How do you think the roster is going to shape up if that's so?

I'm expecting the style going very different than Kart 8, every character is going to have their own karts (maybe everyone has a standard one) and a track at least. I also expect it to be huge if true, like a massive roster from the get go. Something like:

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Yoshi
5. Wario
6. Bowser
7. Rosalina & Lumas
8. Bowser Jr.
9. Donkey Kong
10. Diddy & Dixie Kong
11. King K. Rool
12. Link
13. Zelda
14. Ganondorf
15. Impa
16. Tingle
17. Samus Aran
18. Mother Brain (yes)
19. Kirby
20. Meta Knight
21. King Dedede
22. Bandana Waddle Dee
23. Fox McCloud
24. Krystal
25. Pokémon Trainer & Pikachu
26. Mewtwo
27. Lucario
28. Cinderace
29. Captain Falcon
30. Ness, Paula & Poo (all three together)
31. Marth
32. Lucina
33. Edelgard
34. Black Knight
35. Pit
36. Palutena
37. Hades
38. Olimar & Pikmins
39. Villager
40. Isabelle
41. Tom Nook
42. K. K. Slider
43. Little Mac
44. Shulk
45. Rex & Pyra
46. Duck Hunt Duo
47. Inkling
48. Min Min
49. Twintelle
50. Mach Rider
51. Excite Biker
52. Ring Fit Trainee
53. Virtual Boy
54. Sheriff
55. Mr. Hanafuda
56. Diskun
57. Shigeru Miyamoto
58. Miis

Explicitly Nintendo only, no exceptions. Alt characters like Metal Mario could be relegated to alternate costumes easily. Very close to Smash of course but that's inevitable if they go down this road, but I feel for a kart racing game certain characters could be bundled up together to make space on the selection screen
You put Toad, one of the main Mario Kart cast, back on that list right now or so help me son.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Nintendo wouldn't do this because they're not really fond of having first party games in the same genre compete with each other anymore, but I wouldn't mind a crossover kart racing game that could actually be experimental. If mainline Mario Kart doesn't want do do stuff like the Double Dash mechanic, a Diddy Kong Racing esque Adventure Mode, or even stuff like Mission Mode from MKDS these days, then having another series that could safely venture in those waters would be a nice change of pace.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
MOBAs are definitely one of those genres where besides the gameplay, the characters have to appeal enough to you, otherwise it doesn't really do anything for you. For me, if a series I really like were to make a MOBA, I'd probably be willing to dedicate myself, but otherwise, it's something I'll ignore quite quickly.
Honestly, the characters were pretty much the reason why I started playing League. Of course there's the mechanics side too - League is a lot faster in terms of pacing than other MOBAs, so that was a plus, but really, the characters won me over first and foremost.

It's also because of that reason that I can actually see Unite becoming big, so long as Nintendo doesn't mess up with it. Just the simple fact of it being a Pokémon MOBA is already enough to draw in a huge crowd.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I understand the appeal of a Mario Kart with lots of guests, but if you put too many in, it stops being Mario Kart.
Just make the next game's title reflect the increased number of guests. The series should become something like a Mario version of Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing, IMO.

Especially when MK8's roster's only real redeeming qualities to it IMHO were those guests.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
IDK why people are being so against the idea of more crossovers in Mario Kart. Like we've already cracked open that particular chestnut when they decided to put in Zelda/Animal Crossing/Splatoon/F-Zero.
Oh no, we can't possibly put Samus in Mario Kart, we need to make more room for...Cat Mario and...Pink Gold Peach and...Doctor Goomba Tower.
Like there's some legitimately interesting Mario/Donkey Kong/Wario characters they could add, but something like this wouldn't corrupt Mario Kart's "purity".

D

Deleted member

Honestly just put Birdo and Kamek in all the Mario spin-offs; the rest of the roster can be filled with Bokoblins and Rusted Copper Luigi and I’d be cool with it

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
IDK why people are being so against the idea of more crossovers in Mario Kart. Like we've already cracked open that particular chestnut when they decided to put in Zelda/Animal Crossing/Splatoon/F-Zero.
Oh no, we can't possibly put Samus in Mario Kart, we need to make more room for...Cat Mario and...Pink Gold Peach and...Doctor Goomba Tower.
Like there's some legitimately interesting Mario/Donkey Kong/Wario characters they could add, but something like this wouldn't corrupt Mario Kart's "purity".
That could work.. if the title of the game itself didn't put too much emphasis on one franchise, I prefer it to be a separate series just like how Sonic Team Racing is separate to SEGA All-Star Racing, like adding a bunch of Nintendo game and just outclassing the amount of character from the series literally in the title of the game doesn't feel like Mario Kart anymore. I mean they could avoid unnecessary different power up version of the same character and just embrace the spin-off.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I'm not really against the idea of Mario Kart having more guests on principle, it's just that, especially with 8's lackluster roster, there's still so much to pull from the Mario universe that I'd rather we get these before we already enter the Nintendo Kart can of worms. I see people here say that because MK8's roster wasn't so good, that's why we should fill it up with guests next time, which I don't really get? Like, it's not with more guests that you fix the Mario side of the roster, it's by making the Mario side better.

I'm not asking for a mass exodus of any and all guests either, just don't go ham with the idea yet. We can keep the ones we have, maybe put in Captain Falcon, maybe bring back ROB, maybe add an extra character to the ones we already have represented like Zelda or Octolings, just don't go too overboard with it. Not when we still have so much left to pull from Mario. 90% of the newcomers from Tour are great choices, you can bring back Diddy or Funky or Birdo or even Petey Piranha, there's characters who feel like natural inclusions who just haven't made it in yet like Kamek, Spike, Boom Boom and E. Gadd, some picks from the 3D games like Toadsworth and Cappy and Piantas, we could expand on the DK cast even further with Cranky or Kremlings or K. Rool. We haven't even touched the RPG and Wario characters yet!

I'd be down for a Nintendo Kart someday, but doing it now feels like we'd be letting the incredibly expansive cast of unique and beloved but still not added Mario characters go to waste

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really against the idea of Mario Kart having more guests on principle, it's just that, especially with 8's lackluster roster, there's still so much to pull from the Mario universe that I'd rather we get these before we already enter the Nintendo Kart can of worms. I see people here say that because MK8's roster wasn't so good, that's why we should fill it up with guests next time, which I don't really get? Like, it's not with more guests that you fix the Mario side of the roster, it's by making the Mario side better.

I'm not asking for a mass exodus of any and all guests either, just don't go ham with the idea yet. We can keep the ones we have, maybe put in Captain Falcon, maybe bring back ROB, maybe add an extra character to the ones we already have represented like Zelda or Octolings, just don't go too overboard with it. Not when we still have so much left to pull from Mario. 90% of the newcomers from Tour are great choices, you can bring back Diddy or Funky or Birdo or even Petey Piranha, there's characters who feel like natural inclusions who just haven't made it in yet like Kamek, Spike, Boom Boom and E. Gadd, some picks from the 3D games like Toadsworth and Cappy and Piantas, we could expand on the DK cast even further with Cranky or Kremlings or K. Rool. We haven't even touched the RPG and Wario characters yet!

I'd be down for a Nintendo Kart someday, but doing it now feels like we'd be letting the incredibly expansive cast of unique and beloved but still not added Mario characters go to waste
Maybe Mario Kart Tour is the answer. I feel like Tour can get away with having many, many guest characters. I’d be down to see Tours for Zelda, Splatoon, AC, F-Zero or even other franchises Nintendo owns like Xenoblade or Star Fox.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Maybe Mario Kart Tour is the answer. I feel like Tour can get away with having many, many guest characters. I’d be down to see Tours for Zelda, Splatoon, AC, F-Zero or even other franchises Nintendo owns like Xenoblade or Star Fox.
Honestly given how many people aren't thrilled about the interesting mechanics that are in Tour being stuck in a gacha mobile title, I think the response to Zelda, Star Fox, and Xenoblade characters/tracks only being in that and not a Switch version would be pretty controversial.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So I read a rumor about the next Mario Kart effectively becoming Nintendo Kart and finally going the Smash route. I don't know how much holds it has but that of course would be awesome. How do you think the roster is going to shape up if that's so?
Would absolutely love for that to happen. And considering how much easier it is to make a cart driver than it is it make a full fighting game character moveset, I would hope to see a LOT more characters from the side franchises.

Like, the entire StarFox team.
At the very least the original 4 F-Zero racers.
All the party members from the Earthbound series.
All the playable Kongs.
etc.

And also I can't imagine Edelgard and Shulk riding a kart.. that is nightmare inducing
You can't imagine Shulk, the guy that builds robots, riding a kart?

Technically incorrect.

Nightmare isn't the living will of Soul Edge, rather the wielder of the sword possessed by said will, Inferno.

So the better comparison for Elysium would be Inferno, not Nightmare.
True. BUT...Nightmare IS Inferno in several games. In 3 and 4 in particular, it's just Inferno possessing Nightmare's armor. He has no human host in those gems.

Right. It becomes something better. Super Smash Karts.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just add back Diddy Kong, and I'll be a costumer once more.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly I just want F-Zero to make a proper comeback...

cothero

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, a Smash Bros. Kart game would be dope.

SKX31

Smash Master
It's also because of that reason that I can actually see Unite becoming big, so long as Nintendo doesn't mess up with it. Just the simple fact of it being a Pokémon MOBA is already enough to draw in a huge crowd.
Then again, Unite's being developed and overseen by Tencent's TiMi studio (their main dev studio is in Shenzhen, but they recently opened up a studio in LA), with Nintendo / TPC licensing it. I'm mentioning this for two reasons.

First, TiMi's become one of the main studios other corps turn to for mobile games. To writ:

• Street Fighter Duel
  • CoD Mobile
  • PUBG Mobile
  • Contra Returns
  • Metal Slug Code J

These were all developed (and released in some cases, edited) within the past 4 years. Many Chinese call the corp "The Penguin Factory" presumably because the company's methods of churning out games aspect is heavily disliked amongst the hardcore there.

And second, because TPC's been looking at a game developed by a Chinese video game company since 2004 (presumably for the Chinese region mainly, as evidenced by the five above mentioned games being targeted there). The Gigaleak revealed plans for a Pokemon MMO based on FireRed / LeafGreen which was to be developed by iQue*.

I do agree that Unite can succeed, for me it'll be a question of whether the game has enough right out of the gate and if its model is not too obviously predatory (wouldn't be surprised if Tencent have seen both successes and failures based on the second criteria). It's not the first mobile MOBA after all. I do think that the crossplay aspect will help it since it'll be a unique aspect as far as Nintendo games go.

*Nintendo's joint venture in China and the ones handling Nintendo's console releases there from the N64 to the 3DS, Nintendo fully acquired the company in 2013, and now iQue's a supporting developer for EPD.

Wasn’t there a Twitter account for things cheaper/had greater overall value than Diddy Kong in MKT?

like fr I will just never understand why Nintendo thought THIS was a good business decision
Yup. WebArchive link (I believe WebArchive's ceritificate has run out, so do be careful).

And the reason why is - Nintendo really has no clue how to create a mobile business model that is both A) profitable and B) at least doesn't quite piss people off enough to the point they'd want to cancel.

No, Funky's worth 60 according to the Tropical Freeze port
Absolutely worth it, I mean, Funky's the kind of rare Mario character that can transform titles like Mario Kart Wii into Funky Bike Wii at will. :4pacman:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
At least Link has beem seen driving a vehicle (The Master Cycle)
Ah, but that made its first appearance after his Mario Kart debut. :p

I feel that's a bit disingenuous. There are still some really cool characters to add, they just haven't yet for whatever reason. I suspect there are a stupid amount of original clone characters that don't really need to exist because they spend a lot of time making all of the tracks beautiful, but I also can't help but feel like it doesn't have to be that way. Personally, I'd rather Mario Kart continue as "Mario Kart with Guests" than "Super Smash Kart" so we can hope to see characters like Professor E. Gadd and the like, though I would not be averse to a spin-off that goes full guest mode. Call it Mario Kart: Guest Stars or something.

No, Funky's worth 60 according to the Tropical Freeze port
Eh, It's more like "IT WAS $60 BEFORE AND IT'S $60 NOW! NO GAMES DO NOT DEPRECIATE IN VALUE! THAT'S STUPID!"

Funky's just there to throw the people who were already going to buy the game again a bone. lol

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I was thinking here... Sakurai said that Cyberpunk 2077 felt like a "dream game", so i wonder if he played GTA 5. He said he played Half-Life 2 back when it was released, so i wouldn't doubt it.

And yes, GTA 5 sold reasonably well in Japan: https://kotaku.com/you-might-be-surprised-how-grand-theft-auto-v-did-in-ja-1558103625
Here’s a glimpse into Sakurai’s collection, so I’m saying there’s a 99.99% chance he’s played GTAV.

To be fair, Bomberman Miis can use colors actual Bombers don't have.
Oh, I’m not too familiar with Bomberman so I didn’t know that. I guess the black thing isn’t as good of a point then.

I don't mind MK getting more guests but IMO should be very limited. I personally dont wanna see say Marth or Min Min in Mario Kart.

Below are the only guest characters I'd want in Mario Kart:

:ultfalcon: (no brainer)
:ultdiddy:(veteran)
:ultfox: (landmaster as a kart)
:ultkirby:
:ultrob: (veteran)
:ultsamus: (uses her gunship as a kart)
:ulttoonlink: (swap for Adult Link I think Toon fits Mario Kart's aesthetic more than adult Link)
:ultsonic:
:ultmegaman: (uses Rush as a kart)
:ultpacman:
Mach Rider
Pretty much this, I’d keep Inkling & add in Crash too. Let Smash be the insane crossover, Mario Kart should remain mainly Mario focused. It’s not like Mario Kart needs a gimmick like that to sell anyway.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Eh, It's more like "IT WAS $60 BEFORE AND IT'S $60 NOW! NO GAMES DO NOT DEPRECIATE IN VALUE! THAT'S STUPID!"
Oh I was meming to the Diddy Kong jokes. For real Nintendo are ****ing criminals with that stuff
Absolutely worth it, I mean, Funky's the kind of rare Mario character that can transform titles like Mario Kart Wii into Funky Bike Wii at will. :4pacman:
Flame Runner Funky for Smash as the Mario Kart rep, you heard it here first

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
This has always been something that majorly bugged me, why isn’t Ridley using his wings? Its like seeing Sonic use a car instead of just running.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's a difference between those two, Sonic drives a car in a car race because he's not a spoilsport.

I don't see Ridley doing the same and respecting the rules.
He wants to psychologically torture Samus by doing sick flips.

"Hey Samus, remember that time I killed your parents?" does a barrel roll

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
As someone who really used to love RWBY, it really needs to either be completely redone by a company that cares or left to go the way of most series. I really would be kinda miffed if any of them got in, but in all honesty that will never happen, and most of the things entertained here will never happen as video game characters are the one hard rule we really have.

As for the chances of getting a MOBA rep, I would say that aren't super high, but if it did happen a character from LoL is the only choice. For better or wrose, no other MOBA matters near as much as LoL does in terms of legacy, even over DOTA now. I imagine it would be some sort of waifu from the game and I can only imagine how hard Tencent would fight to force a bundle that costs way more than the rest and has a metric ****ton of skins.

Also, I see people are talking about a Pokemon rep again, so let me stress this once again.

Pokemon is up there on the list of least likely franchises to get a rep in DLC.

There are many reasons for this, but frankly it's because Sakurai has always made room in the base game for one or more for a while now, and the only time that changed was for Mewtwo to return in Smash 4. Melee brought Mewtwo and Pichu, Brawl lost Mewtwo and Pichu and brought Pokemon Trainer and Lucario. Smash 4 reduced Pokemon Trainer to Charizard and brought in Greninja, then Mewtwo the biggest veteran request in DLC. After that we got Incineroar.

People seem to forget that Smash has skipped previous Gens before. We have no playable rep from Gen 3 (big sad for me there) and Gen 5, and the only reason we got one for Gen 6 was because Sakurai specifically held a slot for a Pokemon for Gen 6 and had to get designs of Greninja early (or at least rumored to be that way) so as to get them into the game. This will likely just be another situation in which either Gen 8 will be skipped or will get one the next Smash title comes out before Gen 9 has anything to work with. That, or at BEST, if we get more DLC after this FP we MAY get a Gen 8 mon, but TPC really dislikes Pokemon DLC for non-Pokemon games so it's really iffy.
I know this is technically off-topic, but sometimes I wish RWBY started out as a video game. I don't know if that would fix ALL the problems with the show, but I feel it would at least fix SOME of them. But hey, Wayforward is making a RWBY game, and if River City Girls is any indicator, they care a LOT about these collab titles.

Anyway, back to Smash. About that "Nintendo Kart" rumor, wasn't The Wonderful 101 supposed to feature Nintendo characters, but then got changed to originals because Nintendo didn't want them crossing over outside of Smash?

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
There's a difference between those two, Sonic drives a car in a car race because he's not a spoilsport.

I don't see Ridley doing the same and respecting the rules.
I was talking from a visual aspect than a personality aspect.
Seeing a giant beast not use its massive wings is like seeing the fastest thing alive constrict itself to going 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom