• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was talking from a visual aspect than a personality aspect.
Seeing a giant beast not use its massive wings is like seeing the fastest thing alive constrict itself to going 60.
Yeah but Sonic's a ****boi who wants to win by the rules cause it's more fun that way. It makes sense for Sonic to do that. I get what you mean, it's just that "Lol why does Sonic drive a car" has been a **** meme for over a decade

SKX31

Smash Master
There's a difference between those two, Sonic drives a car in a car race because he's not a spoilsport.

I don't see Ridley doing the same and respecting the rules.
Remember, we're talking about a space pterodactyl who's spent the last 20-30 years hating Samus. Of course Ridley would want to beat her with those rules just to prove his superiority.

It would be seen as a poor way to replace Mario Kart and Smash Bros.
Nintendo Super Smash Kart Family.

Coming to your nearest Nintendo VR Glasses (TM) Summer 2034.

:4pacman:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I missed the last page but I’m of the crew that would rather Mario Kart just become Nintendo Kart. I have affinity for Mario characters... like a lot of affinity but I’d be lying if I said I really cared about any of the baby characters, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Peach, Tanooki Mario, or Gold/Metal Mario. Everyone else is good but those are 9 characters that I wouldn’t mind replaced with more unique characters.

And since there’s obvious no intent from Nintendo to dig into the Mario’s series more niche catalog to pull out characters like Fawful, Geno, or Count Bleck I’d much rather those 9 spots be filled with Captain Falcon, Kirby, and an Excite Biker. Even if it’s just those 3 that’s better than the filler we have. No other Kong’s is inexcusable. It doesn’t have to be straight Nintendo Kart but filling it out with better characters that can make the worlds in the tracks better is nothing but good.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
My thoughts on the “Mario Kart or Nintendo Kart?” Situation.
It really depends on how much Nintendo intends to expand on Mario Kart for me.
So far in terms of roster they’ve dropped the ball as of late, Paper Mario and Other great characters are left in the dust while we get our 7th koopaling and 4th damn baby.
If thats how Nintendo wants to keep playing it, I am all in favor of a Nintendo Kart.
However, if Nintendo gets their act together and introduces some actual cool newcomers, I’m still fine with Mario Kart.
The bigger thing is stages, Mario's starting to run out of steam in terms of theming, and a Metroid, Pikmin, and Kirby track sounds amazing to me.

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
if River City Girls is any indicator, they care a LOT about these collab titles
Remember they also made Bakugan: Champions of Vestroia.

Will we get a Luigi’s Mansion 3 spirit event?
Given that I highly doubt it's getting a fighter, probably. Remember they've given other games like Ring Fit Adventure late Spirit Events.

As for the big 'Nintendo Kart' debacle of today, I'd rather Mario Kart stay Mario Kart. A few appropriate guests like R.O.B. in DS or Villager in 8 Deluxe are fine, but I don't wanna see Ridley or Chrom in go-karts anytime soon, and I already find Link in a go-kart pretty ridiculous (even the Master Cycle Zero is pushing it). Nintendo still have a massive backlog of Mario characters to pull from - like ones from the RPGs, the Wario games and the Donkey Kong games - before they'd need to add the likes of Shulk. They already have Smash for their giant video game crossover; they don't need another in my eyes.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I wonder if Yuna would actually get in over Tidus on account of the west seeming to really freaking hate him.
To be honest this is the first time I read someone saying "Tidus is super hated in the West". And I'm a FFX nerd.

I doubt that's the case at all. He has detractors but you could say that for any protagonist in the series, including Cloud, but according to my experience usually those detractors end being people who never tried the game and thus, never properly discovered the main character's motivations and his/her development.

I guess a part of that comes from the infamous laugh scene but as Ivander has said, besides the fact it has become a big meme, the scene has it's reasons to be like that. Of course, without context, seems very stupid and all, but in reality it's kind of a touching scene, at least if you ask me.

As for Yuna getting over Tidus, well, yeah, they would probably pick Tidus first and I wouldn't be mad. I like the character and he could bring some fun ideas to the table (even if for some people he would just be another swordfighter).
I just mentioned Yuna because I like her a bit more than Tidus and she's as much of a protagonist as him in FFX.

I think(and hope) that's more of an exaggeration because of the laughing scene(because people somehow missed the incredibly obvious mention from 10 seconds earlier that the laughing was meant to be bad, and that people can't read context), because quite honestly, Tidus is one of the best developed FF characters.
Well the scene wouldn't be as much of a meme if viral videos did include all the context, I guess.

And I completely agree with Tidus being one of the best developed characters in the series. At least, among the protagonists. I guess some people end disliking him irrationally because at first he might seem your usual "haha i'm cool and funny" JRPG protagonist, but obviously there's a lot more than that with him.

Might as well suggest Jecht as one of the picks.
Jecht would be a sick pick. He's super badass, that alone would make his inclusion worth it. I loved his playstyle in Dissidia Final Fantasy.

Also, his song is an absolute banger of heavy metal with growls, which would be very unique in Smash lol

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't see Ridley doing the same and respecting the rules.
Well, he wouldn't be IN a race in the first place.

If we already accept that he's racing, one can assume he might as well follow the rules as well.

I still stand by my thought that a "Nintendo Kart" is the worst idea ever
Yeah it'll never work. People HATED the non-Mario content in MK8D.

Oh...wait, no they didn't.

It would be seen as a poor way to replace Mario Kart and Smash Bros.
Why would it replace Smash Bros?

That's like saying Mario Kart replaced Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Making Nintendo Kart its own thing sounds fun to me. Or a Super Smash Kart spin-off. There's more than enough easy NPC clones to add, even just as alternate costumes(as long as they aren't different weights. If they are, they might have different stats anyway? Depends upon how the records work. Which is why it's important to Smash that all alternate costumes that could have any tiny difference has to have their own records. Daisy is a perfect example of this. Her difference is the tiniest ever, but any kind of unique animation etc. matters).

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
One thing I`m wondering about in relation to a potential pokemon rep is that all of the "promotional picks" for dlc characters so far have come from the lesser-known/played side of Nintendo games (ARMS, Fire Emblem) while Pokemon's popularity easily dwarfs Smash's popularity.

I'm wondering if adding Cinderace or whoever would actually help promote Pokemon, and if not, Nintendo wouldn't really see the point in adding a Pokemon character in dlc.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
One thing I`m wondering about in relation to a potential pokemon rep is that all of the "promotional picks" for dlc characters so far have come from the lesser-known/played side of Nintendo games (ARMS, Fire Emblem) while Pokemon's popularity easily dwarfs Smash's popularity.

I'm wondering if adding Cinderace or whoever would actually help promote Pokemon, and if not, Nintendo wouldn't really see the point in adding a Pokemon character in dlc.
honestly if anything adding a gen 8 mon would help promote smash itself

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yes, when Gooigi is revealed as CP11.
Now that will get some interesting reactions.

Promotional characters don’t get added based on how small their franchises are but for the opposite reason. Besides, ARMS didn’t get a character for promotional purposes, so the size of Pokemon won’t be a factor why there won’t be a DLC fighter for the franchise for FP2. I mean,:ultmewtwo: was DLC for Smash 4.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Promotional characters don’t get added based on how small their franchises are but for the opposite reason. Besides, ARMS didn’t get a character for promotional purposes, so the size of Pokemon won’t be a factor why there won’t be a DLC fighter for the franchise for FP2. I mean,:ultmewtwo: was DLC for Smash 4.
I'd argue pretty much the exact opposite of this. Personally, I just don't see how an ARMs character wasn't promotional, considering the free ARMs demo announced alongside the character, and since MewTwo's inclusion didn't corroborate with anything Gen 1 Pokemon related, I don't see why MewTwo would be used to promote Pokemon, rather just reintroducing a popular Smash Melee character.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Personally, I just don't see how an ARMs character wasn't promotional, considering the free ARMs demo announced alongside the character,
ARMS has been a thing since 2017 and a character was chosen after the title has been proven to be a world-wide success, unlike with someone like :ultbyleth: who specifically got chosen to represent an upcoming game. An ARMS character is no more a promotional character than :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultisabelle:.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
ARMS has been a thing since 2017 and a character was chosen after the title has been proven to be a world-wide success, unlike with someone like :ultbyleth: who specifically got chosen to represent an upcoming game. An ARMS character is no more a promotional character than :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultisabelle:.
I'm not sure if Nintendo would really consider ARMS a worldwide success... or at least as successful as they would have envisioned. Granted I think the big N's timing for promoting ARMS was off, but I don't see how literally announcing a free demo of a game doesn't contribute to promoting it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm not sure if Nintendo would really consider ARMS a worldwide success... or at least as successful as they would have envisioned. Granted I think the big N's timing for promoting ARMS was off, but I don't see how literally announcing a free demo of a game doesn't contribute to promoting it.
ARMs sold at least 2.1 Million as of 2018, which for a new IP in the Fighting genre is actually very good. Just because it's not Splatoon levels of success doesn't mean it didn't do well.

Also, the free ARMs demo is little different from the links the Smash 4 website put up for all of its newcomers that advertised their most recent games. ARMs was entering its third year on the market by the time Min-Min was added and her addition probably wouldn't have moved the needle much for its sales figures, so her being included was more likely done in regards to what the character and franchise brought to Smash like Duck Hunt or Robin then what it could push such as with characters like Corrin.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A 2021 Character is inevitable lol. It will happen due to how there’s plenty of precedent that characters like :ultbylethf:, :ultcorrinf:, and :ultincineroar: are usually put in last.
For what it's worth, we at least knew all of these characters existed a good while before we saw them join Smash. We're cutting it really close to have a character revealed so soon before their Smash debut... which is a precedent that we don't have very much of. At least Byleth was already out, Corrin was out in Japan and Incineroar had already been established for a couple years at that point.

I could see where you're coming from if you had said like, 2019-2020 character (although that pool is really shallow, I can't really think of anyone viable who works under that condition). A character from this year seems very unlikely, or more specifically a character who we only learn about this year.

I kind of agree with this, although ARMS definitely falls in this weird middleground. I think Nintendo is really hoping to establish ARMS as a legitimate series for them moving forward, and the inclusion of Min Min helps assert this a little further. In that regard, you could see it as a promotion, but in another light I feel the inclusion of ARMS is moreso to keep Smash's roster up to date with Nintendo's recent history. As others have said it already sold quite well and Sakurai had been considering a character before DLC was being planned (presumably).

We often look back and are upset that certain series were not given this treatment back when they were fresh. Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, etc had their best opportunity back in Brawl when these series could have used the boost. ARMS is one of the lucky ones and I'm happy about that, because it could have easily met that fate and we would be pining about how fun Spring Man could have been five years later.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
For what it's worth, we at least knew all of these characters existed a good while before we saw them join Smash. We're cutting it really close to have a character revealed so soon before their Smash debut... which is a precedent that we don't have very much of. At least Byleth was already out, Corrin was out in Japan and Incineroar had already been established for a couple years at that point.

I could see where you're coming from if you had said like, 2019-2020 character (although that pool is really shallow, I can't really think of anyone viable who works under that condition). A character from this year seems very unlikely, or more specifically a character who we only learn about this year.
To be fair, Covid screwed Nintendo's plans. It's not impossible that a hypothetical promotional DLC fighter was originally supposed to be in a 2020 release.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
A 2021 Character is inevitable lol. It will happen due to how there’s plenty of precedent that characters like :ultbylethf:, :ultcorrinf:, and :ultincineroar: are usually put in last.
This tends to be true. I still remember how back then when Ultimate was still coming out, the UNBELIEVABLE HYPE from the Simon/Richter/King K Rool triple reveal, and that those last reveals, Ken, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant, AS MUCH AS I LOVE INCINEROAR AND PIRANHA PLANT... the hype just wasn't quite the same.

"Save the best for somewhere in the middle!" might as well be their saying.

Now, on a MUCH more... how you say... TIN FOIL HAT note...

The topic of "another Pokemon" has come up and yeah I joked before and I still do kinda joke here too, but like
PokeBAMCO.png

"New Pokemon Snap" is being developed by Bandai Namco, so... development on it is happening like... right there. If "New Pokemon Snap" ends up being the subject of a new Pokemon character, then TECHNICALLY it's another Bandai Namco fighter hahahahahaha (this guarantees nothing since Bandai Namco also did Pokken which has had nothing in Smash at all).

But like... if by "another Pokemon" you actually mean "a New Pokemon Snap stage with a Pokemon character thrown in to represent it" so that TECHNICALLY we aren't getting "more Pokemon Content" we're actually getting "Pokemon Snap content"... then I'd say that that's not a bad way to have both "another Pokemon" and "a shill character".

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
See I'm not sure if I really feel this because with all these characters we at least knew they existed quite some time before their reveals (two whole years in Incineroar's case). Only Corrin was actually a case of "character from game coming soon", and even then it was only like that in the West. Saying a 2021 character is inevitable just feels like blind cynicism based on taking info at face value without bothering to think twice and give things a deeper look.

In fact, since Astral Chain, Ring Fit, Gen 8, AoC and more are likely out and I strongly doubt Euden getting in, I honestly believe we could actually be missing out on a conventional "1st party shill pick" this time around

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

that's why they add a character to promote a less-popular pokemon game.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - Wikipedia

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
This tends to be true. I still remember how back then when Ultimate was still coming out, the UNBELIEVABLE HYPE from the Simon/Richter/King K Rool triple reveal, and that those last reveals, Ken, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant, AS MUCH AS I LOVE INCINEROAR AND PIRANHA PLANT... the hype just wasn't quite the same.

"Save the best for somewhere in the middle!" might as well be their saying.

Now, on a MUCH more... how you say... TIN FOIL HAT note...

The topic of "another Pokemon" has come up and yeah I joked before and I still do kinda joke here too, but like
View attachment 299632

"New Pokemon Snap" is being developed by Bandai Namco, so... development on it is happening like... right there. If "New Pokemon Snap" ends up being the subject of a new Pokemon character, then TECHNICALLY it's another Bandai Namco fighter hahahahahaha (this guarantees nothing since Bandai Namco also did Pokken which has had nothing in Smash at all).

But like... if by "another Pokemon" you actually mean "a New Pokemon Snap stage with a Pokemon character thrown in to represent it" so that TECHNICALLY we aren't getting "more Pokemon Content" we're actually getting "Pokemon Snap content"... then I'd say that that's not a bad way to have both "another Pokemon" and "a shill character".
Could be hilarious. That and a Pokémon Snap Fighter could be incredibly interesting and even allow a couple of the other humans to join??

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
One, perhaps Nintendo had wished ARMS more evergreen in its performance, as it did seem to drop off quite quickly, but I don't get why people continue to downplay a new IP and a fighting game selling over two mil. Like Arcanir said, that's really very good. That's what Kirby and Metroid sell on a good day. It took Xenoblade three tries to even crack one million (four if you count the 3DS port), and Nintendo kept investing in its future. All Awakening had to move was 200k to keep FE alive.

I'm sure overall Nintendo was quite pleased with its performance.

Two, a character that debuts in a 2021 game is pushing it, considering FP2 was chosen two years prior. The examples of :ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultbyleth: were not nearly as distant timing-wise when selected, with the most being about a year out. Keep in mind the characters that Sakurai said happened "too late" for base released, you guessed it, two years after base was chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom