• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
that's why they add a character to promote a less-popular pokemon game.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - Wikipedia
That would be one way to get "a talking Meowth" into Smash and have it technically be "from a video game" instead of "from a TV series"

Seriously, Meowth deserves better! Like, put him in Smash, give him his Alolan and adorable scruffy Galarian form as alts. Yes, all of my yes!

Could be hilarious. That and a Pokémon Snap Fighter could be incredibly interesting and even allow a couple of the other humans to join??

There's two ways to go about "A Pokemon Snap Fighter"... either 1: Basically "another Pokemon" aka some Pokemon from an older gen that happens to be in New Pokemon Snap and comes with a Snap stage and maybe a move inspired by it or two... or 2: It is indeed Todd/whoever these new humans officially call themselves. Just them, kinda like Bowser Jr but riding around in the NEO-ONE (as opposed to the old ZERO-ONE) using the camera flash to stun opponents and then chuck apples and pester balls at them... then use that PokeFlute to summon an abnormally large Snorlax to dance upon their bodies. Or some "NEW" Pokemon Snap equivalent.

( "The Humans" haha I always read that in 2007 Bayformers Starcream's voice "THE HUMANS HAVE TAKEN IT!" "You've failed me, yet again, Starscream..." )

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
That would be one way to get "a talking Meowth" into Smash and have it technically be "from a video game" instead of "from a TV series"

Seriously, Meowth deserves better! Like, put him in Smash, give him his Alolan and adorable scruffy Galarian form as alts. Yes, all of my yes!

There's two ways to go about "A Pokemon Snap Fighter"... either 1: Basically "another Pokemon" aka some Pokemon from an older gen that happens to be in New Pokemon Snap and comes with a Snap stage and maybe a move inspired by it or two... or 2: It is indeed Todd/whoever these new humans officially call themselves. Just them, kinda like Bowser Jr but riding around in the NEO-ONE (as opposed to the old ZERO-ONE) using the camera flash to stun opponents and then chuck apples and pester balls at them... then use that PokeFlute to summon an abnormally large Snorlax to dance upon their bodies. Or some "NEW" Pokemon Snap equivalent.

( "The Humans" haha I always read that in 2007 Bayformers Starcream's voice "THE HUMANS HAVE TAKEN IT!" "You've failed me, yet again, Starscream..." )
I was referring to the Later

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I was referring to the Later
Oh yeah, I'm team Todd/humans. I wouldn't even be mad.

I mean.... "New Pokemon Snap" IS unlike other Pokemon releases BEYOND the Bandai Namco association: It's REALLY special! They haven't made another Pokemon Snap game in 22 years! LITERAL NEWBORN BABIES have become old enough to drink in the time it took them to make another one!

I wouldn't be upset AT ALL if they decided to celebrate Pokemon's 25th/more specifically the fact that they FINALLY made another Pokemon Snap courtesy of the studio that makes Smash itself by letting Pokemon Snap INTO Smash... maybe even throw a few more "photo mode" options into Smash as part of an update along with it.... you'd have to try harder than that to make me mad

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
If Nintendo's ever going to do a full-blown kart crossover, let it be a Mario and Sonic racing crossover. Not only would it give a more proper crossover between those two, but it'd still be more exciting than yet another Nintendo crossover. Even then though, that absolutely should not replace standard Mario Kart.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
If Nintendo's ever going to do a full-blown kart crossover, let it be a Mario and Sonic racing crossover. Not only would it give a more proper crossover between those two, but it'd still be more exciting than yet another Nintendo crossover. Even then though, that absolutely should not replace standard Mario Kart.
I will be sorely upset if that crossover is called anything other than "Sonic Causes a 30 Car Pileup While Dashing Down the Road Carrying a Turtle and Mario and his Friends Saw the Whole Thing and Want Justice!"

THAT'S a title that'll sell, TRUST ME!

Especially if Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" plays during the game with the same frequency that "Seven Rings in Hand" plays during Sonic and the Secret Rings

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the topic of shill characters, my theory is that they're pretty easily detectable by how hard the game is being pushed. Not all of the big marketed games are going to be added, but all of the shill picks have been from that pool as far as I know.

Then again, Nintendo's marketing is currently screwed, so that's probably not all that helpful anymore.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
The thing about ARMS is, the middle ground of Nintendo IP popularity is exactly the right place to try to be promoted. It doesn`t seem like Nintendo is very interested in promoting it`s dead or currently idle franchises like Golden Sun, and a Pokemon character in Smash isn`t going to be very effective in further promoting THE BIGGEST MEDIA FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME.

I thought it was pretty well accepted that Min-Min was used as a promotional tool for ARMS.

I do think we'll see some potential candidates for the final fighter when the ball gets rolling again around March or so. It depends a little on how fast the DLC is rolled out. If we are returning to the 2.5 month release cycle there will be less room to develop a 2021 character than if we go back to 3+ month wait times. If the DLC ends by September, that removes a lot of possibilities that would exist if the last fighter were to come out in November.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Besides Dragalia Lost, Pretty much all of the viable candidates for a "New Nintendo Pick" are pretty much implied to not have been chosen for FP2

Astral Chain, Ring Fit, Pokemon Sword and Shield, and Age of Calamity all got Spirit events around the time the roster was finalized, and Pokemon and Zelda both got Mii Costumes around the time Extra DLC was announced (Ancient Armor was the bonus costume of FP2)

At this point, If we get a Nintendo Character, they likely aren't super new characters, unless it's Euden

Sophitia

Smash Cadet
To be honest this is the first time I read someone saying "Tidus is super hated in the West". And I'm a FFX nerd.

I doubt that's the case at all. He has detractors but you could say that for any protagonist in the series, including Cloud, but according to my experience usually those detractors end being people who never tried the game and thus, never properly discovered the main character's motivations and his/her development.

I guess a part of that comes from the infamous laugh scene but as Ivander has said, besides the fact it has become a big meme, the scene has it's reasons to be like that. Of course, without context, seems very stupid and all, but in reality it's kind of a touching scene, at least if you ask me.

As for Yuna getting over Tidus, well, yeah, they would probably pick Tidus first and I wouldn't be mad. I like the character and he could bring some fun ideas to the table (even if for some people he would just be another swordfighter).
I just mentioned Yuna because I like her a bit more than Tidus and she's as much of a protagonist as him in FFX.

Well the scene wouldn't be as much of a meme if viral videos did include all the context, I guess.

And I completely agree with Tidus being one of the best developed characters in the series. At least, among the protagonists. I guess some people end disliking him irrationally because at first he might seem your usual "haha i'm cool and funny" JRPG protagonist, but obviously there's a lot more than that with him.

Jecht would be a sick pick. He's super badass, that alone would make his inclusion worth it. I loved his playstyle in Dissidia Final Fantasy.

Also, his song is an absolute banger of heavy metal with growls, which would be very unique in Smash lol
Final Fantasy X is my favourite game, so I'd love FFX representation in Smash. Otherworld would also be really cool. However, F-Zero X has some songs in Smash with harsh vocals too:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I've been eyeballing it for a while, and while that is true, as far as I know, the FNDM is completely ravaged by whether or not the show stayed good, got better or worse, or was ever good in the first place as time went on. I think I'd be interested in the later episodes, but the hatedom's attitude to the show as a whole just seems boisterous enough to turn me away (I'm assuming they're that kind of hatedom, considering the sort of videos the most prominent members put out).
This is rather off-topic, so I'll keep this post brief, but many of my reasons for wishing for the show to be in new hands or to just fade away are the same as many others, including those who make content on social media platforms.
  • How much the show changed after Monty's passing, regardless of the reasons why.
  • Monty's wife and his protege (who was taught his style of animation by him and knew much of his original intent for the show's plot) being completely removed and excommunicated from the company and the show.
  • Their catering to certain portions of the fandom, regardless if it was originally planned or makes sense, while openly being rude to the rest of their consumer base on social media.
  • The whole issue with Vic, mixed in with other prominent persons from old RoosterTeeth leaving the company regularly and the exposing of certain high-placed individuals in the company who had actual proof behind being real big pieces of garbage.
  • The fact that M&K clearly lack good writing experience, and yet still are the ones in charge of writing the show.
  • The fact that they keep removing non-monetized ways of watching new and old RWBY content.
There are many other points to be made, but within just the last three years or so (and having been immersed in the fandom to various degrees since before Vol 1 was fully released on YT) it seems to boil down to the fact that many fans feel that RoosterTeeth has gone from what they loved back in the day to just another corporate company that cares only about money, and that RWBY is being monetized under the falsehood of being the continuation of Monty's will and legacy when in actuality it has strayed far from it many volumes ago. I am one of those people who feel this way, though it took me until the end of Vol 5 to realize that the writing wasn't satisfying and the animation had lost all of it's spark that it was the show that changed and not my tastes.

Anyway, I didn't see much conversation about my point of a possible Mario rep coming in this pass. Does no one think it's possible, or is everyone just dead set on a Pokemon/Zelda rep if we get a first party on at all?

EDIT: As for the Kart Crossover, I think the reason it hasn't happened en mass yet is due to keeping Smash extra unique, but I feel as though the time comes near where they realize how big it would be to make such a crossover transcends any other viewpoint. Personally, I just want to race as Kirby in a modern Nintendo racing game.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Anyway, I didn't see much conversation about my point of a possible Mario rep coming in this pass. Does no one think it's possible, or is everyone just dead set on a Pokemon/Zelda rep if we get a first party on at all?
If we are getting a Mario character, it is probably going to be Waluigi.

Besides Dragalia Lost, Pretty much all of the viable candidates for a "New Nintendo Pick" are pretty much implied to not have been chosen for FP2

Astral Chain, Ring Fit, Pokemon Sword and Shield, and Age of Calamity all got Spirit events around the time the roster was finalized, and Pokemon and Zelda both got Mii Costumes around the time Extra DLC was announced (Ancient Armor was the bonus costume of FP2)

At this point, If we get a Nintendo Character, they likely aren't super new characters, unless it's Euden
So essentially just Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Rex & Pyra seem that plausible, barring something like an Octoling curveball or something.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
well who would they do? Toad is pretty much the only viable option and I just don't see him happening as dlc (as much as I want it to)

waluigi is deconfirmed
geno is deconfirmed
paper mario is pretty much deconfirmed due to a spirit event

I guess King Boo but if they are going to promote lm3 this is a wierd time to do so (then again they promoted arms so I guess it's not out of the question)

and I don't see them doing another generic like goomba or boom boom

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh I think this pass at large will be mostly if not all curveballs. I for sure feel like the first three of this pass have been just that

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
This is rather off-topic, so I'll keep this post brief, but many of my reasons for wishing for the show to be in new hands or to just fade away are the same as many others, including those who make content on social media platforms.
  • How much the show changed after Monty's passing, regardless of the reasons why.
  • Monty's wife and his protege (who was taught his style of animation by him and knew much of his original intent for the show's plot) being completely removed and excommunicated from the company and the show.
  • Their catering to certain portions of the fandom, regardless if it was originally planned or makes sense, while openly being rude to the rest of their consumer base on social media.
  • The whole issue with Vic, mixed in with other prominent persons from old RoosterTeeth leaving the company regularly and the exposing of certain high-placed individuals in the company who had actual proof behind being real big pieces of garbage.
  • The fact that M&K clearly lack good writing experience, and yet still are the ones in charge of writing the show.
  • The fact that they keep removing non-monetized ways of watching new and old RWBY content.
There are many other points to be made, but within just the last three years or so (and having been immersed in the fandom to various degrees since before Vol 1 was fully released on YT) it seems to boil down to the fact that many fans feel that RoosterTeeth has gone from what they loved back in the day to just another corporate company that cares only about money, and that RWBY is being monetized under the falsehood of being the continuation of Monty's will and legacy when in actuality it has strayed far from it many volumes ago. I am one of those people who feel this way, though it took me until the end of Vol 5 to realize that the writing wasn't satisfying and the animation had lost all of it's spark that it was the show that changed and not my tastes.

If we did get a new Mario rep in FP2, it would’ve been Paper Mario. Sadly, the ship has sailed due to the spirit event IMO, same for Pokemon and Zelda. There’s always other options for a first party rep. My bets are on Rex from Xenoblade 2, as it seems EVERY other first party got a spirit event. If a first party is happening, it’s Rex, either being CP9 or CP11 (I can’t see him being CP10 at E3)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly in terms of mid-level first party franchises (not one of or adjacent to the big three of Mario, Zelda, & Pokemon) that could benefit from a promotional pick while still being significant enough to be realistically considered? I can't really think of many beyond Kirby, DK, & Xenoblade. Everything else is either from a dead series, has been disqualified via spirit events, or are minor enough that their best chance would be as a base game choice in the next release.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The thing about ARMS is, the middle ground of Nintendo IP popularity is exactly the right place to try to be promoted. It doesn`t seem like Nintendo is very interested in promoting it`s dead or currently idle franchises like Golden Sun, and a Pokemon character in Smash isn`t going to be very effective in further promoting THE BIGGEST MEDIA FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME.

I thought it was pretty well accepted that Min-Min was used as a promotional tool for ARMS.
Well yes, but in the sense that every character advertises their product.

The issue is when people try to say Min Min is only or primarily that. Those statements are often used to undermine ARMS success.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Promotional addition has never been on the basis of who most needs it. I mean the usual candidates are Pokemon and FE, after FE got popular.

If promotional additions were dictated more by necessity, 3H getting the character and Astral Chain the spirit event would've been reversed, for one.
The rich get richer
sad dimitri.jpg

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

EDIT: As for the Kart Crossover, I think the reason it hasn't happened en mass yet is due to keeping Smash extra unique, but I feel as though the time comes near where they realize how big it would be to make such a crossover transcends any other viewpoint. Personally, I just want to race as Kirby in a modern Nintendo racing game.
Yeah, I'll admit even though I like the show, it has SO MANY FLAWS. Thing is, for better or worse, RWBY is RoosterTeeth's most successful IP, so naturally it gets a BUNCH of attention (just recently, they announced a crossover comic with the Justice League, complete with Batman as a Bat Faunus). To make matters worse, with the way RT's parent company is set up, they have to keep making money or else they dealt with layoffs (DC Comics) or outright sold off (Crunchyroll). I know a lot of the problems were from before the merger, but said merger DEFINETLY didn't help any.

Although, two quick questions. One, how do you feel about that RWBY game being made by Wayforward? I know we know nothing about it, but I have faith in the House of Shantae to make something enjoyable. Secondly, and this is more out of curiousity, but what's the current state of the Vic Mignogna situation? I know the court ruled guilty, but from what I saw, that wasn't exactly the end...

Anyway, about the Mario rep... yeah, it ain't happening. Not really anybody to choose in my opinion. Heck, as far as franchises with a character already in Smash, I still think Rex is the most likely. I'm a stubborn old fool.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think when it comes to likeliness, Mario is absolutely not getting a character it would’ve been revealed earlier if so, I think Astral Chain is still a possibility, though barely, Lora could be very interesting and resource intensive, Cadence could come with some Zelda Music, and who knows how important Bandanna Dee will be in whatever Kirby Game happens this year. Eevee has a very obvious Eeveelution Gimmick. And technically NAMCO Characters would also count as First Parties due to them developing the game and how they wouldn’t be that difficult to work with.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think when it comes to likeliness, Mario is absolutely not getting a character it would’ve been revealed earlier if so, I think Astral Chain is still a possibility, though barely, Lora could be very interesting and resource intensive, Cadence could come with some Zelda Music, and who knows how important Bandanna Dee will be in whatever Kirby Game happens this year. Eevee has a very obvious Eeveelution Gimmick. And technically NAMCO Characters would also count as First Parties due to them developing the game and how they wouldn’t be that difficult to work with.
...wait what?

Namco's still third party despite them developing the game, Smash is a Nintendo franchise

ps. if by Lora you mean Torna Lora then interesting choice - she'd technically be a XC2 rep

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
...wait what?

Namco's still third party despite them developing the game, Smash is a Nintendo franchise

ps. if by Lora you mean Torna Lora then interesting choice - she'd technically be a XC2 rep
It’s Nintendo Game, but I think NAMCO would still count as First Party due to them being the developer. I wouldn’t be saying this if someone else was the Developer... it’s complicated.

Also yes, I am referring to Torna Lora.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It’s Nintendo Game, but I think NAMCO would still count as First Party due to them being the developer. I wouldn’t be saying this if someone else was the Developer... it’s complicated.
No, unless Nintendo randomly decides to buy out Bandai Namci, then they're a third-party. No and's, no if's, no but's.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
No, unless Nintendo randomly decides to buy out Bandai Namci, then they're a third-party. No and's, no if's, no but's.
I think getting a character from your developer would be way easier than getting a character from a Different Company. As, since you’re already working with them, only things needed to finalize the plan that a NAMCO Character would need is a seal of approval from the Team behind the series chosen. Thus being more similar to a Nintendo owned Character than a Third Party Character. If the developer was changed I wouldn’t be saying this. If ArcSys were to develop the next Smash Game, I would call any ArcSys Character added to the roster a First Party. Same with Netherrealm and Capcom. Hopefully I made my opinion clear today.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think getting a character from your developer would be way easier than getting a character from a Different Company. As, since you’re already working with them, only things needed to finalize the plan that a NAMCO Character would need is a seal of approval from the Team behind the series chosen. Thus being more similar to a Nintendo owned Character than a Third Party Character. If the developer was changed I wouldn’t be saying this. If ArcSys were to develop the next Smash Game, I would call any ArcSys Character added to the roster a First Party. Same with Netherrealm and Capcom. Hopefully I made my opinion clear today.
That's not how it works, being first-party is predicated on who owns the property. The Smash IP is owned by Nintendo and HAL, it is only first party to them. Namco is the contracted developer; they're work for hire. It was made by them, but it is not owned by them.

Also if you're somehow not convinced by... legalities, you can also see as much by how they group Pac-Man content among the other third-parties.

I see what you mean in that it would probably be easier to acquire a Namco character than some other third-parties due to their involvement and proximity, and I suspect there is truth to that, even though it hasn't really manifested on the roster yet. But that doesn't make them a first-party.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
That's not how it works, being first-party is predicated on who owns the property. The Smash IP is owned by Nintendo and HAL, it is only first party to them. Namco is the contracted developer; they're work for hire. It was made by them, but it is not owned by them.

Also if you're somehow not convinced by... legalities, you can also see as much by how they group Pac-Man content among the other third-parties.

I see what you mean in that it would probably be easier to acquire a Namco character than some other third-parties due to their involvement and proximity, and I suspect there is truth to that, even though it hasn't really manifested on the roster yet. But that doesn't make them a first-party.
So Second Party. I think Sakurai would probably address this if we somehow get a Second NAMCO Character, which I doubt. Sakurai has already said NAMCO has no clear option for a Second Fighter Moveset Wise out of all their IP. This statement makes me think a NAMCO Character is unlikely, as cool as Lloyd or Nightmare could be. I simply can’t see it, even if I hope to be proven wrong.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here’s a thought. What if we do get a promotional first party pick, but rather than being from a new/recently released/upcoming game, it’s a character from a rerelease/remake. What franchise(s) would you like to see this happen with, and who are some characters that fit this criteria that people would like to see? Could be a new or existing franchise in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here’s a thought. What if we do get a promotional first party pick, but rather than being from a new/recently released/upcoming game, it’s a character from a rerelease/remake. What franchise(s) would you like to see this happen with, and who are some characters that fit this criteria that people would like to see? Could be a new or existing franchise in Smash.
I’m sure you already know who my #1 choice is...

[MUFFLED “UNCONTROLLABLE” PLAYING IN THE DISTANCE]

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So Second Party. I think Sakurai would probably address this if we somehow get a Second NAMCO Character, which I doubt. Sakurai has already said NAMCO has no clear option for a Second Fighter Moveset Wise out of all their IP. This statement makes me think a NAMCO Character is unlikely, as cool as Lloyd or Nightmare could be. I simply can’t see it, even if I hope to be proven wrong.
Second party is something like Pokemon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He would address the character coming from the company working on the game, yeah. Probably. But first and third-party are legal terms, they're not dictated on who is easy to work with. Second-party is a fan-made category, and even then it still only applies to properties that are jointly owned. Smash is not jointly owned by Namco.

These categories boil down to legal ownership, and that's not something up for debate, really. It's objective. Objectively, Smash is not, in any part, owned by Namco, which makes them, and their content, third-party. Would their involvement help expedite a collaboration? Probably. But that's completely separate from legal standings.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
**** all of you, give me Lyn Fire Emblem with that Blazing Sword remake.
Chibi Lyn Drinking.jpg

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Well yes, but in the sense that every character advertises their product.

The issue is when people try to say Min Min is only or primarily that. Those statements are often used to undermine ARMS success.
I WILL say that’s the primary reason for Min-Min’s inclusion because it’s most likely true. Not that I think thats an issue or ARMS is a bad/undeserving franchise ect.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pokémon is only a Third owned by Nintendo and I’m legitimately surprised we have yet to get a Pokémon Game on PlayStation, Xbox, or PC.
legitimately surprised that Nintendo, who owns a 3rd of the most profitable franchise in the world, wants to keep that franchise centered on the consoles that they make...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom