• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I never owned a Wii U so I could only play Smash 3DS. Was definitely crazy playing Smash on such a tiny screen. I was extremely careful to not bust the circle pad. Scared me to even play sometimes. Thankfully it survived.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Smash 4 3DS > Smash 4 Wii U tbh

better classic mode
Smash run >>>>> going to the dentist >>>>> Smash Tour
Less annoying challenges
better stages IIRC

Only thing Smash 4 Wii U had over the 3DS version was controls, but even then I had no issue adjusting to the 3DS versions controls.
Yeah and in order of importance Controls > (x infinity) these dumb side modes that don't lie at the core of Smash Bros.
I'd go to the dentist 5 more times than play Smash with a godforsaken 3DS controller again.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I played Smash 3DS a lot back in the day. I'd say it's probably my preferred version of Sm4sh.
Which Nintendo IP should get its 4th rep?

• Donkey Kong
  • Kirby
  • Star Fox
  • Kid Icarus
DK I'd say since Dixie is like, the last major Nintendo character who isn't in. I will never understand why.
Kirby could also use another character, but I don't neccesarily think it should be Bandana Dee.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah and in order of importance Controls > (x infinity) these dumb side modes that don't lie at the core of Smash Bros.
I'd go to the dentist 5 more times than play Smash with a godforsaken 3DS controller again.
I mean, Smash has always had single player modes or side modes so saying they aren't "part of Smash's core" doesn't make much sense. If anything what Smash's core really is is crossing over a bunch of memorable, iconic, relevant, popular etc. video game characters, and adding more modes can only potentially expand on the crossover aspect.

And, as I said, I really didn't have that much issue using the 3DS controls. For me, while they weren't as good as the Wii U's, they were still fine for what they were, and also they weren't so less good than the Wii U's that all the ways the 3DS version is better than the WIi U version were invalidated.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Damn it I really hope the final character is revealed soon
I just want to know whether or not my dreams will be crushed forever or not

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Statistically, your dreams will very likely be crushed.

As will mine.

And pretty much everyone else except for that one fanbase.
Don't worry, the addition of literally all of the Lemmings will be a universally beloved addition, and there'll be a cute lil easter egg in that it makes the graphics perfectly replicate 1-bit graphics in like 10fps for "realism"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, Smash has always had single player modes or side modes so saying they aren't "part of Smash's core" doesn't make much sense. If anything what Smash's core really is is crossing over a bunch of memorable, iconic, relevant, popular etc. video game characters, and adding more modes can only potentially expand on the crossover aspect.

And, as I said, I really didn't have that much issue using the 3DS controls. For me, while they weren't as good as the Wii U's, they were still fine for what they were, and also they weren't so less good than the Wii U's that all the ways the 3DS version is better than the WIi U version were invalidated.
Part of smash core, as in being INTEGRAL to the game. VERY few gamemodes have been retained game to game. By definition, they are not CORE mechanics and they can be largely ignored after being beaten and forgotten about within a year.

And no the 3DS controls are ass for a fighting game. You are not "fine" they're barely a tier above a single joycon... not even 2 of them. There isn't even a C stick. Controls are how you interface with the entire game as a whole. All its systems and mechanics. If they're terrible, the entire game as a whole suffers for it.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Part of smash core, as in being INTEGRAL to the game. VERY few gamemodes have been retained game to game. By definition, they are not CORE mechanics and they can be largely ignored after being beaten and forgotten about within a year.

And no the 3DS controls are ass for a fighting game. You are not "fine" they're barely a tier above a single joycon... not even 2 of them. There isn't even a C stick. Controls are how you interface with the entire game as a whole. All its systems and mechanics. If they're terrible, the entire game as a whole suffers for it.
That's a whole lot of hostility over something that is ultimately personal preference, bro.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Made a list showing the users who own the specific thread for their character since I had some free time. Who's gonna claim the last spot?
Finally a thread owned by "DELETED MEMBER"

That's a whole lot of hostility over something that is ultimately personal preference, bro.
I've expressed no hatred towards them.
They posited an opinion, I've replied with mine. This is a forum where these discussions happen.
and if they don't wanna continue then they can opt for the response below.
1631518289871.png

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

"Can be beaten and forgotten within a year" is a pretty hilarious way to strike at something when almost every video game can be beaten within months or even weeks, maybe even days depending on the game and/or person.

And no, I disagree, I thought the controls were fine and worked as intended. The control stick and D-pad worked, the face buttons worked, the shoulder buttons worked; I don't recall anything ever feeling off when I played the game (and I would remember, believe me). of course comfortability matters as well when it comes to controls, but how comfortbale a game's controls are are also a largely subjective matter. For me, personally, it wasn't really uncomfortable or take me very long to get accustomed to playing with the 3DS controls or work without a C-stick. I was able to put a ton of hours into Smash 3DS and greatly enjoy my time with it. If I wasn't able to get a hang on the controls I probably would NOT have played the game as much as I did or had as much fun as I did.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I played a TON of Smash 3DS back then, and while it wasn't PEAK greatness control wise, I still had alot of fun with it & it didn't feel too uncomfortable.

That, and nothing can be more uncomfortable than playing Smash with a bare Wiimote. ;)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
would be funny if a direct is announced today for tomorrow since it’s Luigi mansions anniversary tomorrow and we get king boo revealed for smash there (which we won’t). And yes, anniversaries don’t mean anything. It would just be a funny coincidence

Onto an other topic, I can’t believe smash bros 3ds is 7 years old. Feels like yesterday I was playing smash 4 with everyone and complaining there was no story mode

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
We're all talking about Smash Bros on 3DS? Here's my roster.

Smash 4 roster small.jpg

Smash 4 stages small.jpg

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
It’s funny
Given certain issues
DLC wise for Sm4sh, I only got Mewtwo for both Wii U and 3DS, while I got Ryu Roy and Lucas but only on the Wii U version. That’s it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

People actually use the c stick in Smash?

In my experience the 3DS controller works well for Smash. It's not the best controller, obviously, but it has everything essential.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
It’s funny
Given certain issues
DLC wise for Sm4sh, I only got Mewtwo for both Wii U and 3DS, while I got Ryu Roy and Lucas but only on the Wii U version. That’s it.
around that time I was just getting into smash properly so I never got any of the dlc as I didn’t actually know it existed till late on in the wii u era.

SKX31

Smash Master

Made a list showing the users who own the specific thread for their character since I had some free time. Who's gonna claim the last spot?
Inb4 it's a character without a support thread.
Aaaw yeah. My hesitation to create a support thread for my MW* has finally paid off!

LEMMEDREAM.png

Это. Просто. Нечто.** :4pacman:

*(Largely because I fear that thread would get inactive quick, and unlike its more popular sibling LoL Dota 2 doesn't have an upcoming Switch release.)
** (Translated: It's. Just. Something.)

I did say bare Wiimote.

For real, I didn't know this.

Wonder how it be like to win a major with a controller like this.
You don't need to look far. This guy won a Guilty Gear tournament with a steering wheel:

As for the 3DS / Wii U:

Ah I remembered the days of Smash 3DS. Since it came out first, you had people going to tournaments and struggling to play on puny controllers. And despite standing shoulder to shoulder, you'd have inexplicable lag.
It was also a kinda magical time since that had its own charm in a way (in particular :4bowser: and :4littlemac: were talked about a lot). Oh and I believe some were still looking for any remaining potential fighters (as an aftermath of the various Smash 4 leaks) right? Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm mentioning that due to the Rhythm Heaven icon.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m still a little disappointed that the technical difficulties from the 3DS Smash led to decisions that carried over into Ultimate. I personally miss Zelda being able to transform into Sheik as well as Samus into ZSS. I really loved the gliding mechanic too and made flying characters feel special. I think that would have helped the recoveries of Charizard and Ridley and make them feel more like flying creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom