• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Not exactly. Promotional picks tend to be a little older than Metroid Dread will be at the end of the year.
My memory could be off but didn't Corrin get in right around his release? Though I vaguely recall the game releasing earlier in Japan. Idk.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
My memory could be off but didn't Corrin get in right around his release? Though I vaguely recall the game releasing earlier in Japan. Idk.
Yes, Fates was several months old in Japan when Corrin released.

SKX31

Smash Master
  • 1:08, he bolts forward and grabs Samus by the neck, a la Ganondorf's Warlock Choke, and blasts her point-blank
So yeah, not much to go off of but it seems like he'd be a distinct heavyweight rather than a Samus clone.
SMH Big Bird's a Falcondorf clone. :4pacman:

Nah but seriously:

While we're talking Big Bird Chozoman, there's a couple things we've seen in the trailer that could help differentiate him from Samus. I'd take some screenshots but SB doesn't want to send them so I'll just have to point out the timestamps instead.

• At 0:33, we get to see his Power Beam, which is a literal beam and not just a projectile. It's also extremely devastating and causes a massive explosion. I feel like it would be less of a zoning tool like Samus' Charge Shot and more like a long-range Warlock Punch (Or Byleth's fully-charged Failnaught).
  • Right after at 0:37 we get to see him do a big leap. Not much, but he doesn't seem like he's lacking in movement options.
  • 0:50, he tanks Samus' blasts with some sort of forcefield. Potentially some sort of anti-projectile special?
  • He seems to create an energy javelin at that same timestamp and charges Samus with it, which could be used for a charging move and potentially some other melee moves as well.
  • 1:08, he bolts forward and grabs Samus by the neck, a la Ganondorf's Warlock Choke, and blasts her point-blank
So yeah, not much to go off of but it seems like he'd be a distinct heavyweight rather than a Samus clone.
That seems like a safe bet considering the guy's sheer size and general abilities that are teased. Now if he got in he'd probably be shruken down a bit, but still. Also very likely a superheavy, I'm looking above :ultpiranha: at least.

Now it's extremely difficult to speculate since this is a still-unreleased game and the glimpses we get are intentionally quick to sell the game's atmosphere, but still:

• Yup, although the laser looks more akin to :ultrob: 's charged Laser or :ultrobin: 's Thoron. Likewise, both require one form of charging, so the same standards are probably going to apply. Might be more like ROBs, although a fun side question would be whether or not Big Bird's could be angled up / down. ROB's Laser has quite a bit of utility because of that, while Thoron trades that for sheer knockback.
  • :ultkingdedede: 's Super Jump says hi. :roll: Nah but this is another really interesting case. And yeah, this dude looks to be in a similar kind of vein as Dedede - big, burly but kinda slow normally, so him having a movement option would be beneficial for him a la :ultincineroar: 's Alolan Whip or :ultridley: 's Space Pirate Rush.
  • Superheavies like Dedede do want something to deal with projectiles - Dedede really appriciated the buff Inhale got by Ultimate here - due to their nature, and having such a force field could be a interesting thing. Would the force field knock back a la Urien's in SFIII?
  • The javelin could certainly be an interesting fighter mechanic / gimmick. Not just since the weapon's not used much, but also since he might play kinda similarly to Dedede - not great at approaching unless he gets the jump on his opponent, but great at shutting down approaches.
  • And of course, the command grab. What could be interesting is whether he "only" fires from the cannon after the grab, or has other options a la, again, Alolan Whip.

All in all, that looks like a very interesting basis for super-heavy kit. And Big Bird could certainly be an intriguing addition no matter what.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Yes, Fates was several months old in Japan when Corrin released.
Hey, if people can still support assist trophies despite it not happening yet, ima do the same for Bird man. I have no cards on the table since I've got most of my wants. Might as well root for another Metroid character.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
One interesting thing about the Chozo being alive is, couldn't they theoretically engineer the Metroids again? Especially if the X Parasites are still around. This is supposed to be the end of the Metroid saga, so that probably won't happen, or maybe it will happen and they'll all be destroyed again by the end. At least some insights on the Metroids from the Chozo's point of view would be interesting.

Also, do we actually know the Chozo's genders?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Then this is a cyclical thing, is it? Well it certainly hasn't been wrong yet.
It has been wrong, the SteveForSmash account was part of the meme thread in which Harada was mad about in that tweet. iirc it wasn’t the ForSmash accounts’ faults, though; a random dude joined in, tagged Harada and Sakurai as part of an Infinity War meme, and no one noticed when the meme thread continued.

Personally I highly doubt they’re gonna ban characters over a minority of internet spammers, anyway; iirc Harada likes to troll, doesn’t really have influence on Smash outside of his characters that get represented, and they all have had to deal with spam and “umg they did this that means x is confirmed!!!” anyway.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It has been wrong, the SteveForSmash account was part of the meme thread in which Harada was mad about in that tweet. iirc it wasn’t the ForSmash accounts’ faults, though; a random dude joined in, tagged Harada and Sakurai as part of an Infinity War meme, and no one noticed when the meme thread continued.

Personally I highly doubt they’re gonna ban characters over a minority of internet spammers, anyway; iirc Harada likes to troll, doesn’t really have influence on Smash outside of his characters that get represented, and they all have had to deal with spam and “umg they did this that means x is confirmed!!!” anyway.
I didn’t see a Steve account tagged in Harada’s post tho; only Jonesy, Crash, Doomguy, Arle, Sora, MC and of course the rando who ruined the fun of those other accounts

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
One interesting thing about the Chozo being alive is, couldn't they theoretically engineer the Metroids again? Especially if the X Parasites are still around. This is supposed to be the end of the Metroid saga, so that probably won't happen, or maybe it will happen and they'll all be destroyed again by the end. At least some insights on the Metroids from the Chozo's point of view would be interesting.

They could. Especially since they're the creators of Metroids. Dunno if they will or not but regardless of this being the end of a story arc there will always be at least some old stuff sticking around for the future. Dunno if Metroids will but we'll see. Tough though when Metroid has a habit of exploding planets.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I didn’t see a Steve account tagged in Harada’s post tho; only Jonesy, Crash, Doomguy, Arle, Sora, MC and of course the rando who ruined the fun of those other accounts
yeah but it was part of the thread; I remember SteveForSmash being worried about it. Maybe he didn’t see all the accounts, but it’s also possible he didn’t tag all of them because he ran out of space and didn’t want to continue. There were other accounts too iirc.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I've said it before but I think it's funny that the Chozo getting in would make Metroid go from woefully underrepped to "TOO MANY METROID CHARACTERS" like other franchises have gone through in Smash
The year is 2027.
When Super Smash Bros Kerfuffle introduced Draygon as CP5 to promote Metroid 6: Draygon's Rage, the smash community was in uproar, as they feel that the inclusion of Draygon as the eighth Metroid rep was a significant step in over-representation of the Metroid franchise, especially with the inclusion of Kraid as a base roster newcomer and Sylux as a Zero Suit Samus echo fighter.
Meanwhile, Star Fox fans, Kid Icarus fans and Fire Emblem fans felt a severe case of deja vu.

Not at the moment. Official sources are referring to the Chozo Warrior in gender neutral pronouns.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Which Nintendo IP should get its 4th rep?

• Donkey Kong
  • Kirby
  • Star Fox
  • Kid Icarus
Waddle Dee
Krystal
Dixie Kong
Eggplant Wizard

Seems to be a tough choice but I'd prefer Krystal.

I like the Chozo dude, he looks neat. We also don't even know the man's name. He's not our guy.
Maybe Chozo don't have names. Hmmmm....

I've said it before but I think it's funny that the Chozo getting in would make Metroid go from woefully underrepped to "TOO MANY METROID CHARACTERS" like other franchises have gone through in Smash
Bring it I say let them come and cry foul imma Main Chozo dude in purple alt costume.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Meanwhile I’m still here waiting for F-Zero to get a second rep :^’)
Black Shadow should get into Smash. I had a moveset idea.
Neutral B: Bull Punch, long charged up punch that can be turned.
Side B: Bull Boost, he charges forward and grabs his foes sensing them downwards if he's in the air.
Up B: Bull Dive, a leap upwards with shadowy flames trailing behind him.
Down B: Bull Kick, a shadowy kick that sends him across the stage.

...okay I'm sorry lol.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
The year is 2027.
When Super Smash Bros Kerfuffle introduced Draygon as CP5 to promote Metroid 6: Draygon's Rage, the smash community was in uproar, as they feel that the inclusion of Draygon as the eighth Metroid rep was a significant step in over-representation of the Metroid franchise, especially with the inclusion of Kraid as a base roster newcomer and Sylux as a Zero Suit Samus echo fighter.
Meanwhile, Star Fox fans, Kid Icarus fans and Fire Emblem fans felt a severe case of deja vu.
the year is 20xx and there are now 17 ice climber reps and everyone else except min min was cut in a previous title

nobody knows how or why

brexit still isnt done either somehow but people want boris johnson in smash now

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Black Shadow should get into Smash. I had a moveset idea.
Neutral B: Bull Punch, long charged up punch that can be turned.
Side B: Bull Boost, he charges forward and grabs his foes sensing them downwards if he's in the air.
Up B: Bull Dive, a leap upwards with shadowy flames trailing behind him.
Down B: Bull Kick, a shadowy kick that sends him across the stage.

...okay I'm sorry lol.
Hmmm... Personally, I'd love to see Digi-Boy just to simultaneously get a whole new moveset and piss off the three other F-Zero fans left alive

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Everyone gangsta t'il this guy shows up in Smash.

I would not be opposed to that at all actually

it also kinda sorta doubles as Crazy Taxi representation since AV was a part of Sega who co developed GX

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
You know, it's absolutely criminal we still don't have the GX character themes in Smash.
Agreed. I'd also personally love to see Beastman and Phoenix costumes for Falcon, actually - they have a similar body type after all...

Just more F-Zero music in general would be hella nice to see, in my opinion.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You know, it's absolutely criminal we still don't have the GX character themes in Smash.
Okay, I just had a stupid idea, bare with me: if they decide to make a Smash Ballot 2, we all suggest another F-Zero character. That way, it'll make Nintendo realize just how popular the series is, and they'll actually DO SOMETHING with it.

That's... how this works, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom