• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Just remember that Atlus that made SMT series and Persona to name belongs to SEGA
So surprises can happen even if SMT V is a safe pick. It could be someone else just saying.
Fantasies can come from wings
Sometimes it's a nursery tale
At other times, it's a gloomy and stormy night

Fantasies can seem so real
Because I felt so sad
Searching for my own faith, yes I will never give it up

Don't mind me, I'm just shilling Phantasy Star's music.
-
That aside, yeah, it's not going to be pretty when the last fighter is revealed, especially with the pressure really starting to set in.
Maybe it's my own recency bias, but I'm starting to think not only is PS up there with Puyo or Yakuza in terms of likelyhood, it might actually be the most probable Sega rep no one is expecting.

question does anyone know or have any idea why the amiibos are so behind the SSBU __ DLC release?
They were probably scheduled to be after the releases (for obvious reasons), but I'm guessing Covid impacted that pipeline more than it did the actual DLC development. So it probably recovered slower than, well, the actual game dev work.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
question does anyone know or have any idea why the amiibos are so behind the SSBU __ DLC release?
I think it's because Physical Toy Products are likely an entirely different process for negotiations and development than standard digital content. With Amiibos being on the back end of a characters publicity it may very well have been pushed off to the wayside.

Also, COVID is screwing over Physical Manufacturing far more than it is Digital Content, so that could also be why the releases are so far apart.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Out of Smash Ultimate's lifecycle with character reveals, we can all agree that Byleth's trailer caused the most salt during the initial reveal. Of course, Hero from Dragon Quest did also caused some salt, but not as bad since E3 2019 was a two character reveal with Banjo & Kazooie.

Edit: now another topic. What is the character's trailer name should he/she be chosen.

Example:
Banjo & Kazooie: Best Friends
Kazuya: The Iron Fist of Darkness
Pyra/Mythra: One Day, Pyra just disappeared
Hero: Heroic Encounter
professor Layton: solving the puzzle of defeating the darkness

or something simple like

professor Layton: puzzle number ??? A dark world

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Out of Smash Ultimate's lifecycle with character reveals, we can all agree that Byleth's trailer caused the most salt during the initial reveal. Of course, Hero from Dragon Quest did also caused some salt, but not as bad since E3 2019 was a two character reveal with Banjo & Kazooie.

Edit: now another topic. What is the character's trailer name should he/she be chosen.

Example:
Last post from me here for a while (at least until the next direct actually happens) but may as well

Octoling: Ink To Save The World!
Elma: That Put A Dent In ‘Em
Phoenix: Turnabout Battle
LoL champion: Run The Rift
Ahri specifically: Can You Feel The Rush Now?
Off the Hook: Ebb & Flow
Reimu: Highly Responsive To Prayers

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Edelgard wasn’t a bad guess in the end actually
Sure, but it's coming from a troll who was speaking in absolutes. They happen to be the same troll doing it now for Nahobino and seem to have an entire network of accounts on different platforms for it lol. No offence but it is really petty and unnecessary lol but trolls gotta troll I guess.

This guy did the exact same thing with Edelgard mid-2019 so it's just really lol, lol. And as a reminder, willbuysmash4mw is most definitely that same guy as they are definitely Megaten_History and megaten_history literally said they were the Edelgard troll account. They're not willing to do an account bet or anything so it's pretty obvious they don't even think it'll happen. Everyone, again just ignore the guy lol, how are they supposed to get anyone onboard when it's kind of clear they're not even convinced themselves.

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman

Example:
Nahobino: Smash’s Redemption
I don't really think I disproved his point. Even if I did, it wasn't my point.

What I meant is, if we get Nahobino, it doesn't mean all the content would be from V. Part of the music would be from other SMT games, and probably the same goes with the spirits.

Cathedral of Shadows would be the best location from V from a representation standpoint, because it would kinda work as a general representation of the series, but just kinda, because in each game it looks different.

The thing is, he's still right when he said Nahobino being CP11 would be an unprecedented situation. Unlike him, I don't think it's impossible for Nintendo/Atlus for make it happen, but it's certainly unlikely because it would require multiple things to align. So far they haven't done anything like this for a third party character, especially for a character that hasn't "debuted" yet, even if he's from a legacy series.
Hero and DQXI is the closest thing, but by the time Hero was announced, the character was already known to the public because DQXI released on Japan in 2017, and in 2018 was released in the West on PS4.

That is certainly a very different situation from SMTV and Nahobino, who would have required quite the planification from Nintendo and Atlus to be CP11.
Technically Nahobino is already known to the public. We just got a Nahobino trailer and there was nothing in it because all of the lore is in actual mythology and this game is just about fulfilling those legends and myths like every SMT is.

This idea that people have about Sakurai going to Atlus and getting Joker while not giving a damn about SMT or any other Atlus property is just nonsense from both the point of view of Sakurai and Nintendo. Sakurai has been playing Megaten games since before Persona existed and he plays Etrian Odyssey(a series that basically just exists because Atlus couldn’t let go of 1st person dungeon crawling), there is no way that Sakurai could design Joker and his challenger pack content with the expressed intent of leaving out other Atlus stuff unless he knew more was coming later, and Nintendo certainly wouldn’t tell him to leave SMT and Megaten stuff out.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Honestly at this point the last two letters in Nahobino’s name are looking pretty good, though I’m sure I’ll return to my usual optimism and find him cool anyway if he gets in.

I just want the open-minded funny light-hearted discussion, man, not 100% guaranteed no other possible options he has to be in blahblahblah.

Dang, I think I understand how the people who said “Gee, NO!” or “Genope” felt.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I think it's because Physical Toy Products are likely an entirely different process for negotiations and development than standard digital content. With Amiibos being on the back end of a characters publicity it may very well have been pushed off to the wayside.

Also, COVID is screwing over Physical Manufacturing far more than it is Digital Content, so that could also be why the releases are so far apart.
Thanks. Also which DLC Amiibos is everyone most excited for?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Maybe it's my own recency bias, but I'm starting to think not only is PS up there with Puyo or Yakuza in terms of likelyhood, it might actually be the most probable Sega rep no one is expecting.
Could be, but I mean, finding new series to play, learn about and guess for speculation is never a bad thing, as long as it doesn't cloud.

But I am at the point where I'm (almost) quite willing for and expecting anybody. I don't deny that I would like to be very excited at the recognition for a character I want(especially if it is Phantasy Star that I've been predicting), but at this point, (almost) anything will excite me. Just that feeling of finally getting to see the final Smash trailer will be enough for me.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Nahobino: Smash’s Redemption

Technically Nahobino is already known to the public. We just got a Nahobino trailer and there was nothing in it because all of the lore is in actual mythology and this game is just about fulfilling those legends and myths like every SMT is.

This idea that people have about Sakurai going to Atlus and getting Joker while not giving a damn about SMT or any other Atlus property is just nonsense from both the point of view of Sakurai and Nintendo.
https://personacentral.com/atlus-interview-joker-smash-p3-p4-projects-future/

“This time, Joker will participate in Super Smash Bros. mainly because of the invitation from Sora Ltd.’s Masahiro Sakurai. That is what led to this collaboration. Because Mr. Sakurai likes Persona 5 very much, and I personally like Super Smash Bros. a lot, my first thought when I received the invitation was “Great!” I was very happy to establish a relationship for this collaboration”

seems me sakurai didn’t go to atlus for SMT. He went there specifically for Persona 5. This comes directly from atlus themselves who ratted sakurai out after he said Nintendo chose persona and he had to go along with it

they had no intention of going for SMT. Stop spreading this fake logic that sakurai went to atlus in hopes of gaining nahobino and persona content. It makes no sense when the negotiations for dlc pass 1 were probably done along side the base game negotiations that started straight after bayonetta’s reveal in 2016

if they did go for nahobino it would have to be in 2018 or 2019 when they did the negotiations for the 2nd pass.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero

Example:
I'll challenge myself to name trailers for my most wanted characters.
Decidueye: Bullseye!
Phoenix Wright: A Smashing Turnabout
Isaac: An Earth-Shattering Breakout (referencing the fact he's an Assist Trophy)
Geno: A Wish Granted

I really suck at coming up with names for things so this probably isn't great.
Side note, I find it kinda funny that some people perceive these characters as shoo-ins while I don't see any of them happening save for maybe Nick.

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Honestly at this point the last two letters in Nahobino’s name are looking pretty good, though I’m sure I’ll return to my usual optimism and find him cool anyway if he gets in.

I just want the open-minded funny light-hearted discussion, man, not 100% guaranteed no other possible options he has to be in blahblahblah.

I am low key trying to pressure people into coming up with a better character for this slot beyond just most wanteds and fulfilling arbitrary representation quotas.

The problem is that the more I press the stronger the argument for Nahobino becomes and the weaker the argument for any other character becomes, and that naturally just leads me to conclude he is the final fighter.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I am low key trying to pressure people into coming up with a better character for this slot beyond just most wanteds and fulfilling arbitrary representation quotas.

The problem is that the more I press the stronger the argument for Nahobino becomes and the weaker the argument for any other character becomes, and that naturally just leads me to conclude he is the final fighter.
Gen 8 Pokémon is right there

Trevenant

Smash Lord
It makes sense as to why they'd be more hesitant on blatant third party shills if you think about it. Third parties obviously require a lot more legal hoops to jump through to get any content from them to begin with which means Nintendo would be more hesitant on picking a character who they couldn't get a decent ROI from as they obviously have to pay licensing and other such royalties which first parties just don't have to go through.

Add on top the fact that Nintendo can't guarantee that the product will be finished by a certain point as they have no control other what other companies do or potential changes in gameplay or writing which could lead to the smash team working on an early build of the character who then misrepresents said character should some giant internal shift exist which means they'd have used resources and time to develop what is ultimately a wrongful interpretation of the character but would likely be forced to go with it anyway which could affect sales for those who just don't like the wrongful portrayal of the character, then yeah.

Hero was just a Hero, not Luminary, but Hero with several protagonists which then meant they could fall back on DQ's own legacy without leaning hardcore into the risky promo side of things. That and 11S was still ultimately based on a game that ultimately existed, so much so, that Sakurai literally said that he was able to base the stage Hero came with off of an already existing version of the game, namely the PS4 one.

I haven't been paying much attention to Nintendo's involvement with SMT, but by virtue of it not being fully under Nintendo, I imagine some of these would still be an issue, even if it's of course significantly less of one than usual. Still, timing screws Nahobino over probably flat out IMO so none of this really needs to deconfirm him when he's flat out not happening.

For the very small yet vocal minority championing Nahobino, a character from a game not even out yet, trying to troll people over a shill isn't going to get people on board at all. Like SMT has a legacy, but why only push Nahobino as the only viable candidate cos of no other reason other than shill and completely ignore other viable candidates who would represent the legacy, be relevant, shill SMT5 just as well and likely be a lot less controversial, who in this case would be Demi-Fiend, but pushing Nahobino with only reason cos of shill and not even acknowledging the series' actual legacy just makes me think that someone has caught that the smash fans hate blatant promo, case in point byleth, and thought they'd troll with a similarly recent character, which, as said previosly, is kinda petty as its trolling.

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
https://personacentral.com/atlus-interview-joker-smash-p3-p4-projects-future/

“This time, Joker will participate in Super Smash Bros. mainly because of the invitation from Sora Ltd.’s Masahiro Sakurai. That is what led to this collaboration. Because Mr. Sakurai likes Persona 5 very much, and I personally like Super Smash Bros. a lot, my first thought when I received the invitation was “Great!” I was very happy to establish a relationship for this collaboration”

seems me sakurai didn’t go to atlus for SMT. He went there specifically for Persona 5. This comes directly from atlus themselves who ratted sakurai out after he said Nintendo chose persona and he had to go along with it

they had no intention of going for SMT. Stop spreading this fake logic that sakurai went to atlus in hopes of gaining nahobino and persona content. It makes no sense when the negotiations for dlc pass 1 were probably done along side the base game negotiations that started straight after bayonetta’s reveal in 2016

if they did go for nahobino it would have to be in 2018 or 2019 when they did the negotiations for the 2nd pass.
That doesn’t mean anything. And even if it did Sakurai and/or Nintendo had to go back to Atlus to decide on the inclusion of the Sophia spirit from Persona 5 Strikers at that exact time period.
Gen 8 Pokémon is right there
Gen 8 had the spirit event, it’s not happening.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

You’re literally doing the same thing with arbitrary quotas that have been irrelevant for most of the DLC, while insisting he’s also the only one who could do certain things such as “only he fits purple” or “only he could defeat Dharkon” which is far from the truth and as if those two specifically even matter at all.

No character perfectly checks every box, or even most boxes, and we don’t even know what the boxes are; we just get an idea based on past fighters, but even then we end up wrong. And if we go by past precedent, Nahobino certainly doesn’t check every box, just like every other character.

And there’s no point in pressing people. Speculation is meaningless at the end of the day. The only point is fun social interaction, and that disappears if all you want to do is insist everyone else is wrong because one character is the absolute perfect fit and is guaranteed, no other possibility.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I can't wait for next week when its a character no one had ever suspected.
I kinda forgot we are even waiting for the last smash character. At this point, they should it drop it on twitter and get it over with

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Speculation is meaningless at the end of the day. The only point is fun social interaction, and that disappears if all you want to do is insist everyone else is wrong because one character is the absolute perfect fit and is guaranteed, no other possibility.
This is a really good way of putting it actually. This is how you can tell they're a troll as well as others who do similar stuff.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Eh, **** it! I’m getting out my evidence folder. Decidueye was the Grass Starter of Generation 7, and is going to be the Grass Starter of Legends Arceus. Not just that, but also the fact that he was considered for Smash prior, is extremely unique, could very easily promote a Game that was likely planned for this year, with Sword and Shield Music! And not to mention POKÉMON GO!!!!!!!! Pretty big character if you ask me.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Clearly, you haven't seen my Euden propaganda...

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Eh, **** it! I’m getting out my evidence folder. Decidueye was the Grass Starter of Generation 7, and is going to be the Grass Starter of Legends Arceus. Not just that, but also the fact that he was considered for Smash prior, is extremely unique, could very easily promote a Game that was likely planned for this year, with Sword and Shield Music! And not to mention POKÉMON GO!!!!!!!! Pretty big character if you ask me.
He's also Jondolio's most wanted character, and Sakurai hates Jondolio
Check and ****in mate bro

SKX31

Smash Master
I know some liberties are also taken for these characters, and that's fine, but for Samus it feels like every one of her normals except dash attack was made up from scratch, despite there being plenty of source material to pull from. So to me, she doesn't feel like Samus at all when I play her.
I have to assume that that was due to time constraints: every character in 64 had at least 2 or 3 kicks in their aerial arsenal, and almost every character had a sex kick as a N-Air (the only exception being DK IIRC). Also, given that they haven't changed the kicks that much (N-Air hits both ways now instead of being just a sex kick) I have to presume Sakurai and co wants to keep Samus as a character focused around Charged Shot / Missiles, with the kicks as additional keep-away options.

Which I don't personally like and would like to see changed since the gameplay becomes a bit railroad-y (even if I've personally not have had a ton of trouble fighting Samuses online).

As for why they haven't changed most movesets that much... I have to take a gander and guess that a primary reason is the mechanics have changed pretty wildly each game. Sakurai's comment re: not alienating the existing playerbase is a major factor too, but it's perhaps strenghened by the mechanic changes.

Aaaw yeah, a Norweigian character confirmed for CP11. :4pacman:

Example:
Dota 2 (dependent on the exact character, but as a general): The Secret Shopkeeper's Question*.
LoL (same caveat as above): The Rift connects to a new Battlefield.
Master Chief: Forward Unto Dawn.
KOS-MOS: Also sprach Zarathustra.
Dante: "Party's gettin' crazy!"
Gordon Freeman: The G-Man's offer.

*(Callback to the initial Gamescom 2011 trailer.)

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Even if Nahobino is the single likeliest character, the odds of the less likely characters combined is still higher than the likelhood of the most likely challenger on his own, by the virtue of there being a load of speculated and unspeculated candidates. Smash is not a zero-sum game; Nahobino’s high chances do not mean the chance of every single character out there is zero.

Say, there’s fifty characters with only 1% chance and Nahobino has a 50% chance. Nahobino has an astronomical lead on the others, and betting on Nahobino specifically would be a good choice. In the grand scheme of things, however, Nahobino’s chance is still a coin-flip, even though there‘s no single competitor that even comes close to having his odds.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Yes, sure I'd love that..
I found some of thise posts. Here:
I think you're right, but I think the game is better off without them, and was pissed when Ultimate brought a couple back.

Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard should have been separate fighters, and Mythra should have been an Echo.
If you want these characters to be separate... just play them that way? There's nothing stopping you.
This is Rock Smash erasure and I won't stand for it.

Or Chrom an Echo of Roy.

Oh wait...they did that! Setting the precedent that characters with the same normals but different specials can be Echoes.

Trainer does literally nothing but stand in the background. They could have given each of them a Trainer. Red for Charizard. Blue for Squirtle. Leaf for Ivysaur.
So, why is Nahobino currently being discussed? Did something come up?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just to ease the tension a bit, here are the trailer names for the current amount of Ultimate's newcomers base and DLC

Ridley: A Piercing Screech
Simon/Richter: Vampire Killer
Chrom and Dark Samus: Echo fighters
King K Rool: The Rivals
Isabelle: All in a Day's Work
Ken and Incinaroar: Clash of Flames
Joker: The Masked Rebel
Terry: The Legendary Wolf
Byleth: The Ashen Demon
Min Min: Ramen Time!
Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman: A New Seed!
Sephiroth: The One-Winged Angel
Pyra/Mythra: One Day, Pyra Just Disappeared
???: ?????

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Advice to the thread: we have an ignore feature. You can ignore people.

Or do it the old fashioned way and simply tune stuff out and allow the thread to progress further without letting it devolve into arguments about a single, solitary fighter. Smash speculation is about discussing possible characters within a large spectrum; not limiting it to a single character.

Just an idea.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just to ease the tension a bit, here are the trailer names for the current amount of Ultimate's newcomers base and DLC

Ridley: A Piercing Screech
Simon/Richter: Vampire Killer
Chrom and Dark Samus: Echo fighters
King K Rool: The Rivals
Isabelle: All in a Day's Work
Ken and Incinaroar: Clash of Flames
Joker: The Masked Rebel
Terry: The Legendary Wolf
Byleth: The Ashen Demon
Min Min: Ramen Time!
Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman: A New Seed!
Sephiroth: The One-Winged Angel
Pyra/Mythra: One Day, Pyra Just Disappeared
???: ?????
I like how most of these are rather vague and then there's Belmont, Sephiroth and Pythrra

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Advice to the thread: we have an ignore feature. You can ignore people.

Or do it the old fashioned way and simply tune stuff out and allow the thread to progress further without letting it devolve into arguments about a single, solitary fighter. Smash speculation is about discussing possible characters within a large spectrum; not limiting it to a single character.

Just an idea.
Or you could just lock the thread again. :secretkpop:

MintTails

Smash Rookie

Example:
Tails: The Two Tailed Sidekick!
Master Chief: Believe
Gordon Freeman: Rise and Shine

Dinoman96

Smash Master
For prosperity's sake, here's the trailer taglines for the Smash 4 newcomers.

Rosalina & Luma: Comet Observatory
Little Mac: Champion of the Ring
Greninja: Challenger from the Shadows
Palutena: Goddess of Light
Pac-Man: Red, Blue, Yellow
Robin/Lucina: By Book, Blade, and Crest of Flame
Shulk: Looks Like We Don't Have a Choice!
Bowser Jr.: The Future King
Duck Hunt: One Dog, One Bird, One Zapper

I didn't mention Mega Man, WFT and the DLC gang because well, their trailers don't even really have unique titles. They just use their respective trailer tagline (i.e MM's trailer is simply titled "Mega Man Joins the Battle!", Cloud's trailer is titled "Cloud Storms into Battle!", etc).

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
This past Sunday I promised I would make a move set for the Pyro from Team Fortress 2. And so... here it is:

Jab: Swings the Fire Axe in a downward motion.

Dash Attack: Holds the Fire Axe in front of them while charging forward.

Side Tilt: Swings the Fire Axe in a Diagonal motion.

Up Tilt: Swings the Fire Axe above their head.

Down Tilt: Crouches and Swings the Fire Axe close to the ground.

Forward Smash: Swings the Fire Axe using the Critical Hit animation (right to left).

Up Smash: Performs the Fire Axe Critical Hit Strike above their head.

Down Smash: The Armageddon Taunt Kill. A ring of fire appears around their feet after blowing bubbles around their head.

Neutral Air: Swings the Fire Axe around their body clockwise.

Forward Air: Performs a horizontal Fire Axe swing in front of them.

Back Air: Swings the Fire Axe behind them.

Up Air: Swings the Fire Axe above them.

Down Air: Slams the Fire Axe below them.

Neutral Special: Flamethrower. Works similarly to Fire Breath but the player can move after the attack begins (but cannot change direction) and instead of getting weaker the Flamethrower (and Compression Blast Down Special) run on a Ammo system. Start with 50 ammo, uses 10 ammo per second of firing, recharges at 5 ammo per second.

Side Special: Flare Gun. Fires a quick projectile that does a small amount of damage. If it hits a opponent who is being attacked by another fire source, the attack deals 3 times damage and double knockback. Has a 3 second cooldown before being able to fire again.

Up Special: Thermal Thruster. Pyro readies the jetpack and soars through the air at a 50 Degree angle. He can attack after takeoff but cannot use the move again until landing on a platform or grabbing an edge.

Down Special: Compression Blast. Uses the Flamethrower to blast air. Deals no damage but reflects projectiles. Costs 10 ammo per 1 reflect. Only reflects projectiles in front of the player.

Grab: Reachs out in front of the opponent to grab them.

Pummel: Hits the opponent with their knee.

Forward Throw: Throws the opponent in front of them.

Back Throw: Does a half spin to throw the opponent behind them.

Up Throw: Goes for a hug, then tosses the opponent up.

Down Throw: Tosses the opponent to the ground, then stomps on them.

Final Smash: Payload. The Pyro rushes forward. If they collide with anyone a cutscene begins where the caught opponents are at the bottom of a shaft filled with explosive barrels. The Pyro then pushes the Payload cart (with the other Classes helping out) to the end, exploding the cart and dealing heavy damage and knockback to opponents.

My biggest issue were pretty much every attack except the Down Smash and all Special moves, mostly due to them using the same item, but I wanted to see how a moveset like this could work.
In the end, although I don't see Pyro joining the battle, I think the character could provide a unique yet similar play style to previous characters.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Well, the play conference is coming, Maybe it could inspire people for some DLC smash speculation.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I have to assume that that was due to time constraints: every character in 64 had at least 2 or 3 kicks in their aerial arsenal, and almost every character had a sex kick as a N-Air (the only exception being DK IIRC). Also, given that they haven't changed the kicks that much (N-Air hits both ways now instead of being just a sex kick) I have to presume Sakurai and co wants to keep Samus as a character focused around Charged Shot / Missiles, with the kicks as additional keep-away options.

Which I don't personally like and would like to see changed since the gameplay becomes a bit railroad-y (even if I've personally not have had a ton of trouble fighting Samuses online).

As for why they haven't changed most movesets that much... I have to take a gander and guess that a primary reason is the mechanics have changed pretty wildly each game. Sakurai's comment re: not alienating the existing playerbase is a major factor too, but it's perhaps strenghened by the mechanic changes.
True, but regarding the sentence in bold, then it makes even less sense because Samus only uses shots and Missiles in two of her moves (plus Morph Bomb, which is mostly used for stalling and keepaway). With Mega Man, every normal is based around a power from the Robot Masters. Which works two ways as a reference and also a creative liberty to round out and balance the moveset.

For example, I don't see why they can't use Samus' different Beam types for normals. It would still achieve the same focus of being centered around projectiles, but actively round out her kit better and make her play closer to her home series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom