• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Based on what?! He hasn't DONE anything yet!
Well actually, Lucifer (yes, the biblical one) quite literally explodes and dies right in front of the Nahobino's eyes early in-game.
If they wanted, it would be simply enough to replicate SMTV's beginning hours except replacing Lucifer with Dharkon and his underling demons with Smash characters who've been posessed.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Ah yes: The stage where someone throws a crab at you, and then you die.
Still the kind of crabs I’d immensely prefer to go out on.

Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Yeah, you can tell what I’ve been binging today.

What games are you all looking forward to the most? 2022 is looking pretty good so far, at least for me!
If I get a stronger PC, I’m gonna pick up Psychonauts 2 and Halo Infinite. One looks really good, and another is shaping up just as nicely.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Pic of the Day:

Today in 1983, "Mario Bros." (Mario Bros.) will be released on the NES! Not a supermarket. The original is an arcade game version that came out when the NES was released. There were many settings where two people could play at the same time with one coin, which was a great deal. … But we promise that the two of us will soon have a battle.
Ahhh, Mario Bros. It's not a good stage, but it's one of the best bad stages.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I feel like SMTV is in the spotlight now because of 2 reasons:
Me and my support thread's continued support throughout the years.
  1. Recency:
    This happens around every time we get close to a Nintendo direct or event that also has another unrelated gaming event happening. I feel like we've gone through several games now where we've likened the increase marketing for a game to mean that Smash would coincide a reveal trailer to match the swell in popularity. I believe this can really only be said to happen with Byleth/FE3H and Hero/DQ11S Port.
  2. Lack of Alternatives:
    It almost appears like every other character in popular discussion when it comes to smash has had some sort of "... but" attached to it. From developer interviews to company controversy and especially disconfirmations like DLC spirit events and mii costumes. It's strange then that something as niche but juuuuuuuuust popular enough to be noticed by Smash speculators hasn't been directly denied yet. As it stands, people are viewing this as a darkhorse pick because all the other horses were disqualified to begin with.
Compared to the other DLC characters we currently have (except maybe Pyra/Mythra), it almost feels like SMTV is too obvious of a pick considering how it lacks any of the strange quirks that the other FP2 characters have. Not an objective analysis on their chances or anything, just my thoughts.
Recency only really plays a part as far as SMT V not being too old to be relevant more so than it has to be the last fighter because it is a new game. The lack of alternatives part is spot on though and a HUGE reason why a lot of people are extremely confident about Nahobino. We have run the gamut on seemingly every single character from the 90s on with any kind of big following and they are either deconfirmed or even more of a wild pick than Nahobino or any kind of a SMT rep.

The 3rd big reason that you are missing though is Joker. When Joker was revealed Megaten fans who wanted a SMT rep were at first kind of angry that Persona was yet again moving on SMT’s turf, but shortly afterward they got over it and decided that it made sense Joker would be the Atlus/Megaten rep despite console origin just like Cloud was the Final Fantasy rep despite console origin and some of them even made up spirit ideas and music track ideas from the greater Megaten franchise to go with Joker because it was obvious a Megaten/Atlus rep wouldn’t just have Persona stuff. The fact that Joker not only came to Smash with no greater Megaten representation anywhere, no Atlus stuff (Jack Frost) etc, but also minimal Persona 3 and 4 stuff and nothing from Persona 1 and 2 is extremely suspicious and that suspicion only really went away for a time because Nintendo went in a way different direction than anyone thought for the rest of the 1st pass. People can argue that Sakurai specifically picked Persona 5 and Joker because he just really likes them until they are blue in the face, but this is a guy who has played Megaten since before Persona existed and plays Etrian Odyssey, there is no reason for only Persona(and TMS)to represent Megaten and Atlus in Smash.

But for me personally the biggest reason why Nahobino sprinted to the front of the pack for pack 11 is SMT’s legacy, and not just its legacy but its legacy with Nintendo, only Dragon Quest has stuck with Nintendo as long and as reliably as SMT has for 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I just don't get why the SMT character for the latest entry is being discussed a lot as a potential challenger. To me, it could be a challenger from any other company. Of course, Atlus does belong to SEGA. Meaning that another SEGA may pop instead, but time will tell of WHO it is on Sakurai's pick.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I just don't get why the SMT character for the latest entry is being discussed a lot as a potential challenger. To me, it could be a challenger from any other company. Of course, Atlus does belong to SEGA. Meaning that another SEGA may pop instead, but time will tell of WHO it is on Sakurai's pick.
promotional pick because new game.

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
I was watching Delzethin's video on how Euden would look like in Smash, and I think it's pretty neat! There's obvious similarities between Euden and Corrin, but I think they could design Euden in a way that really makes him stand out.

-Perhaps make it a full body transformation instead of just parts.

-They could just have the Dragon as his final smash and focus more on magical sword attacks + helper mechanic.

-Perhaps someone else from Dragalia Lost instead?

I just thought it was interesting there's a Nintendo franchise with -0- representation in Smash Ultimate as of now.

ZelDan

Smash Master
(Maybe) Hot take: the Mario Bros. stage is worse than 75 m

75m has a big dumb layout

Mario bros has a small, also dumb layout with more obnoxious obstacles.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace

yea plus u live forever on that stage there's like 5 layered ceilings

the balloon fighter stage is looping walkoffs done right, plus the hazards aren't nearly as intrusive

Last edited:

Whatisthis?WhoamI

Banned via Warnings
Has anyone seen this? It's by the same guy who made the Toad trailer that blew up for Project M which some thought was a leak. It's only a few hours old surprisingly.

Sick trailer! Exactly what a Waluigi trailer should look like. 11/10

Attention, everyone
View attachment 329749
Today is Cirno's day. Happy ⑨.

Wowzers!

I'm here for Final Fantasy 16 and/or Final Fantasy Origins (aka the I WANT TO KILL CHAOS game)
Me too!

IMO:
  • Mario feels the most outdated, and this is due to 2 problems: He's forced to be an all rounder, so he can't be too crazy, and his abilities change from game to game so anything you give him could get outdated super quickly. I would probably redesign him from the ground up taking his history into account (as well as the fact that a lot of it is a one and done type thing), but in terms of overall functionality, I think a lot of the same conclusions should be reached.
  • Donkey Kong is fine for the most part, it's just weird that barrels aren't involved at all, and I would like to see him get a jump cancel for his dash attack as a highly committal movement option.
  • Link...I dunno what to do with Link. It would entirely depend on the state of the character at the time.
  • Samus I'd like to see completely redesigned for game feel reasons.
    • Dark Samus on the other hand, is actually pretty OK with Samus's current moveset. I would just give her some of her own moves.
  • Yoshi I think is alright. My issues with him come from his dubiously useful Special Moves.
  • Kirby is another strange case. I think a moveset that uses even more copy abilities than he already does would feel very hacked together, but the current moveset is just super bland. I think doing more with his Copy Abilities (the Super Smash Bros. ones) as well as making Inhale an actually good move would help a lot.
  • Fox is perfect as he is.
  • Pikachu is strange because he feels archaic, but there's not really anything specifically wrong with his moveset. At least, not that I can put my finger on.
  • Luigi is a little bit like Mario, but better in some cases, and worse in others. I have a direction that I would like to see, but I wouldn't view it in the lens of "fixing" him. Oh, except for the fact that his personality is super weird in this series. Mario's too to some extent.
  • Ness is perfect as he is.
  • Ditto for Captain Falcon.
  • Jigglypuff's moveset is fine as far as it's base goes, but she needs retooling so that she's a bit more aggressive so that she can be good without being the bane of everyone's existence.
Spot on!

Tbh the only reason I put any stock into Nahobino is because this is the last character and they've historically been promotional picks. Other than that there's nothing that sets him apart from the rest besides his luscious locks. Either way I'm hype for SMT V but the last smash character is a mystery as usual.

Nahobino? Sounds like Tetromino to me... I'm confused.

Just out of curiosity, what is Donkey Kong's Headbutt used for?
  • Storm Punch is just a big callout hit, which I think makes total sense for him (other than the fact that he looks super pissed off, he's not generally an angry character)
  • Hand Slap is...I dunno if it has much use either, but it's one of his signature moves so I'm not really mad at it.
  • Spinning Kong I think is a reference to Dixie Kong's hair twirl.
Headbutt is the only thing that isn't really in the games, and also doesn't really seem to have a purpose.

Perhaps it's the profile picture coloring my perception, but I don't think they speak in the same manner.
To butt heads?

To be entirely fair, even Sakurai’s Steve moveset went over the edge complexity-wise.
Not for me!

I like how you say this without mentioning how we have actual gameplay and that it looks ****ing insane
I agree! So cool!

He accused me of saying something I didn’t say, I gotta stand up for myself

sigh

maybe I should just take a break until the direct is for sure announced. We won’t get any rumors this late, and I’m not even feeling like myself lately due to a variety of factors irl. THIS isn’t helping.
I hope you have a great day or evening! Don't let the words of random internet strangers on a gaming forum get to you. Especially when they are banned. There are more important things to worry about. I hope you can have a live a happy life :)

I'm not the biggest Touhou nut out there, but I do love Mega Man.
He's mega and a man. What's not to like about him!

I'm sorry. I'm just kinda sad someone blatantly said that the speculation is more fun then playing the game.

:(
But what if you like both?

Super Smash Brothers. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch
Yes

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Counterpoint: I can actually move around properly on Mario Bros. without stopping on a ladder I never intended to grab. Or being unable to fall through platforms. Or jump and cling onto a ledge I didn’t want to hit. But ya, neither are great stages.

This is kinda nice
All 4 of my most wanteds are there with an additional 5th and 6th that I’m not fully backing but would be good to see. I am satisfied.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This realization pleases me, but I still wish he was an actually good design.
I actually had an idea for changing Little Mac whilst still keeping the core concept of him being good on the ground but poor in the air. Feel free to check it.

Another thing to note is that fighting games retool characters all the time, and some series will even outright massively overhaul them (which in Super Smash Bros. has only really arguably happened with Roy, and Pit, as well as some of the clones, but only gradually). I think it's a bit weird to be sad when a character isn't exactly the same as they were before (unless its something super drastic like MvC2 -> UMvC3 Jill).
I remember how a lot of Street Fighter 2 characters got dramatic changes in Street Fighter 5 despite a legacy of having a pretty similar moveset and gameplay that was part of their defining character identity (being of course characters created for a fighting game rather than existing characters from different franchises being adapted to a fighting game). Vega in particular became a stance fighter when he never was one.

If you want, I could call one of those people to state their position here again if you dont believe me.
Yes, sure I'd love that..

(other than the fact that he looks super pissed off, he's not generally an angry character)
Jungle Beat is the big exception.

I... kinda do. The characters you named are more agile fighters with short-ranged weapons (all three use a kind of knife, no less).

Samus is a soldier in full power armor with an arm cannon. Her using the cannon as intended only in her FAir and Smash Attacks (and even then being short-range moves) and instead using acrobatic moves fit for other archetypes kinda drives me crazy. At least Dash Attack uses the boosters from the suit.
So to reiterate, you argument basically comes down to the fact that Samus, whilst nothing canonically indicating she can't kick her foes, would be the type of character you'd expect to be more about blasting her foes with her normals in Smash rather than doing elaborate kicks? I guess that is fair.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So to reiterate, you argument basically comes down to the fact that Samus, whilst nothing canonically indicating she can't kick her foes, would be the type of character you'd expect to be more about blasting her foes with her normals in Smash rather than doing elaborate kicks? I guess that is fair.
Yep. It's particularly weird when looking at other characters like Mega Man and Simon Belmont, whose normals reflect their signature weapons and feel almost like they were ripped straight from their games.

I know some liberties are also taken for these characters, and that's fine, but for Samus it feels like every one of her normals except dash attack was made up from scratch, despite there being plenty of source material to pull from. So to me, she doesn't feel like Samus at all when I play her.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Samus is one of the few characters who I feel needs to be redone entirely instead of just needing simple updates.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
This is just made up nonsense.

Nobody said anything about Sakurai not coming away with a SMT rep, all we know that is that Joker wouldn’t have happened if Sakurai(and Nintendo)didn’t want him.
dude you literally said in your previous reply that atlus threw SMT at sakurai when he went to get joker and sakurai took the opportunity to take it which literally isn’t the case from what we know.

SMT has a fantastic chance of being last and I mean fantastic but you need to realise that SMT isn’t confirmed and this is a speculation page. You keep coming into this page and telling everyone nahobino is confirmed and everything else is wrong when that’s not true. You even got this thread locked last time. It gets stale.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The bizarre thing about Nahobino is that it's the first instance of a significant number of people actually acting like a character from an unreleased game is confirmed. I've seen a surprising number of people just saying it's absolutely confirmed. Most of them don't look at it's history, they just say muh SMT5 shill and call it a day. This ultimately is more harmful to people's perception of SMT, as if you're only going to judge things based on promo instead of at the very least, acknowleding it's legacy, then you aren't gonna convince many people.

Nahonino isn't really likely IMO. The timing just doesn't line up to me. They're not gonna have a third party character debut in smash before their own game and if they wait, that'll be absurd since they've practically forced themselves into announcing the character October at the latest due to the pacing. Yes, Sakurai did say a while, but it's the last character for Ultimate lmao, he was gonna say something like that even if it did take a month to release and he obviously wasn't gonna just throw out a date for when it would happen. It's kinda all common sense, to me personally at least.

BTW, the willbuysmash4mw guy is the same guy who was on GFaqs named Megaten_History and was also saying Edelgard was confirmed in a similar way they're doing for Nahobino now. Even if Nahobino was likely, which I really doubt, they're a troll, which is a really reasonable assumption based on all of the absurd claims they've made dating back to mid-2019 and still nowadays, not even only on Smashboards and GFaqs exclusively apparently lol. Just ignore them tbh lol

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The bizarre thing about Nahobino is that it's the first instance of a significant number of people actually acting like a character from an unreleased game is confirmed. I've seen a surprising number of people just saying it's absolutely confirmed. Most of them don't look at it's history, they just say muh SMT5 shill and call it a day. This ultimately is more harmful to people's perception of SMT, as if you're only going to judge things based on promo instead of at the very least, acknowleding it's legacy, then you aren't gonna convince many people.

Nahonino isn't really likely TBH. The timing just doesn't line up. They're not gonna have a third party character debut in smash before their own game and if they wait, that'll be absurd since they've practically forced themselves into announcing the character October at the latest due to the pacing. Yes, Sakurai did say a while, but it's the last character for Ultimate lmao, he was gonna say something like that even if it did take a month to release and he obviously wasn't gonna just throw out a date for when it would happen. It's kinda common sense tbh.

BTW, the willbuysmash4mw guy is the same guy who was on GFaqs named Megaten_History and was also saying Edelgard was confirmed in a similar way they're doing for Nahobino now. Even if Nahobino was likely, which I really doubt, they're a troll, which is a really reasonable assumption based on all of the absurd claims they've made dating back to mid-2019 and still nowadays, not even only on Smashboards and GFaqs exclusively apparently lol. Just ignore them lol
Edelgard wasn’t a bad guess in the end actually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom