• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
The bizarre thing about Nahobino is that it's the first instance of a significant number of people actually acting like a character from an unreleased game is confirmed. I've seen a surprising number of people just saying it's absolutely confirmed. Most of them don't look at it's history, they just say muh SMT5 shill and call it a day. This ultimately is more harmful to people's perception of SMT, as if you're only going to judge things based on promo instead of at the very least, acknowleding it's legacy, then you aren't gonna convince many people.

Nahonino isn't really likely TBH. The timing just doesn't line up. They're not gonna have a third party character debut in smash before their own game and if they wait, that'll be absurd since they've practically forced themselves into announcing the character October at the latest due to the pacing. Yes, Sakurai did say a while, but it's the last character for Ultimate lmao, he was gonna say something like that even if it did take a month to release and he obviously wasn't gonna just throw out a date for when it would happen. It's kinda common sense tbh.

BTW, the willbuysmash4mw guy is the same guy who was on GFaqs named Megaten_History and was also saying Edelgard was confirmed in a similar way they're doing for Nahobino now. Even if Nahobino was likely, which I really doubt, they're a troll, which is a really reasonable assumption based on all of the absurd claims they've made dating back to mid-2019 and still nowadays, not even only on Smashboards and GFaqs exclusively apparently lol. Just ignore them lol
Yeah, this is the annoying thing. Some people are acting like Nahobino's inclusion is a cold hard fact, and are a little dismissive/condescending when someone brings anyone else up.

Reminder that MegatenHistory claimed to be 100% confident in Nahobino being FP10 or 11, but wouldn't even bet their 2 week old account on it. By the way, they had over 250 active posts about SMT being inevitable at the time.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The problem is that in the fog of speculation it’s remarkable easy to paint bullseyes around arrows that have already been shot. Because there is a great deal we don’t know one can find numerous fighters that feel likely due to the lack of any hard evidence to disprove them. It’s not too dissimilar to concluding certain alleged leaks are probably true because they seem like the kind of thing that would happen and not because one has any actual proof.

An SMT character could very well be the next fighter, but a great deal of the momentum with them seems based around a specific interpretation of how they make sense, and we all know the perils of that kind of thinking with Smash.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Imagine if the Last Fighter is Dread Suit Samus who is actually based around Metroid’s Gameplay lol.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I also think a important note is that the only third party DLC tied directly into a Switch release was Hero, but even then, DQXIS only influenced the stage choice and "main" alt in a major way. The moveset is still an amalgamation of things multiple Heroes do, the Spirit board is 80% general DQ stuff (the only exceptions being Tockles, Cetacea and Hero's Companions), and 75% of the music selection comes from outside DQXI. Meaning even Hero was chosen for far more than "big promotional third party exclusive".

So not only would Nahobino be the biggest third party royal treatment ever given to a character, it would also be the first case of promotion extensively affecting a roster choice for third parties to this degree. Even though by now we have multiple cases of the same principle not panning out, the most recent being Monster Hunter - a franchise much larger than SMT. And all, again, for a third-party game that likely won't even be out by the time CP11 is revealed.

That's why I don't buy it.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I also think a important note is that the only third party DLC tied directly into a Switch release was Hero, but even then, DQXIS only influenced the stage choice and "main" alt in a major way. The moveset is still an amalgamation of things multiple Heroes do, the Spirit board is 80% general DQ stuff (the only exceptions being Tockles, Cetacea and Hero's Companions), and 75% of the music selection comes from outside DQXI. Meaning even Hero was chosen for far more than "big promotional third party exclusive".

So not only would Nahobino be the biggest third party royal treatment ever given to a character, it would also be the first case of promotion extensively affecting a roster choice for third parties to this degree. Even though by now we have multiple cases of the same principle not panning out, the most recent being Monster Hunter - a franchise much larger than SMT. And all, again, for a third-party game that likely won't even be out by the time CP11 is revealed.

That's why I don't buy it.
Yeah, that's pretty much undebatable.

I could see the music selection being kinda large for this one, with a lot of tracks from other SMT games, SMTV would probably just have a few tracks including the main battle theme. But yeah I'd assume the stage would be from V, and with Nahobino I don't really think you can repeat the Hero move. He uses a sword just like some of the protagonists, but he summons the sword from his hand instead of holding one. In fact, he can use 2 swords if he want as we saw in the third PV trailer of the game.

So you couldn't really do like Hero and make Nahobino/Flynn/Aleph/SMT 1 protag be different alts.

About spirits I wouldn't worry too much because it would probably be just iconic demons from the series. So Jack Frost, Pixie, Alice, Shiva, Cu Chulainn, Lucifer, and so on.

But yeah, it would be an unprecedented situation.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this is the annoying thing. Some people are acting like Nahobino's inclusion is a cold hard fact, and are a little dismissive/condescending when someone brings anyone else up.

Reminder that MegatenHistory claimed to be 100% confident in Nahobino being FP10 or 11, but wouldn't even bet their 2 week old account on it. By the way, they had over 250 active posts about SMT being inevitable at the time.
I said FP10 was a Namco character.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yep. It's particularly weird when looking at other characters like Mega Man and Simon Belmont, whose normals reflect their signature weapons and feel almost like they were ripped straight from their games.

I know some liberties are also taken for these characters, and that's fine, but for Samus it feels like every one of her normals except dash attack was made up from scratch, despite there being plenty of source material to pull from. So to me, she doesn't feel like Samus at all when I play her.
I think :ultmegaman: should have the ability to do a Charge Shot when holding the attack button whilst doing his neutral attack, forward tilt and neutral aerial before releasing it. The idea is that he would have the ability to move around whilst storing the the charge by holding A but not being able to do any attacks until that button is released.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I’m just gonna say this
I’m gonna keep a few (imo) dark horse picks in my mind

A RE rep
Frisk
Ezio <- Altair’s out but he’s still got a very good shot, don’t forget that folks

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's pretty much undebatable.

I could see the music selection being kinda large for this one, with a lot of tracks from other SMT games, SMTV would probably just have a few tracks including the main battle theme. But yeah I'd assume the stage would be from V, and with Nahobino I don't really think you can repeat the Hero move. He uses a sword just like some of the protagonists, but he summons the sword from his hand instead of holding one. In fact, he can use 2 swords if he want as we saw in the third PV trailer of the game.

So you couldn't really do like Hero and make Nahobino/Flynn/Aleph/SMT 1 protag be different alts.

About spirits I wouldn't worry too much because it would probably be just iconic demons from the series. So Jack Frost, Pixie, Alice, Shiva, Cu Chulainn, Lucifer, and so on.

But yeah, it would be an unprecedented situation.
But you just disproved his point.

The fighter would be Nahobino(because it has to be him only)but his representation outside of the stage(which would be World/Cathedral of Shadows) and fighter would be all of Megaten and not even just SMT because SMT is the flagship of Atlus.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Would Dark Samus keep the old moveset or would it just be gone?
Yeah, but with some tweaks to fit Dark Samus better. She’s inevitably going to be similar to Samus due to the silhouette. So if we’re changing Samus entirely Dark Samus is most likely going to get changes based on that moveset while keeping the Old Playstyle.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

The fighter would be Nahobino(because it has to be him only)but his representation outside of the stage(which would be World/Cathedral of Shadows) and fighter would be all of Megaten and not even just SMT because SMT is the flagship of Atlus.
Nahobino ain’t getting in deal with it. It’s gonna be Decidueye lol.
DA3DDB9B-7CFE-4C13-9199-F0A43C6CFBF0.png

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Honestly, Samus is the worst designed character in Smash History. Or well, one of them anyways. But she gets elevated to the worst because of the fact that the Obscure Platformer Girl doesn’t play like the Obscure Platformer, with her problems already being solved in Metroid itself.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I want Decidueye but every time someone predicts them, their chances get lower. Ultimate base game is definitive proof of this

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I mean... not really? Spirits are still just pngs, but making a music selection focused only on SMTV would be impossible since the game isn't out yet, with their only other option being to barely acknowledge V at all, which would be weird if the character is from V.

So would be making a moveset stage that accurately represents the game's elements - because I doubt Sakurai would just plaster on stuff from other SMT games on that and call it a day, much less delve too deep in a game that isn't out yet. Me and SNEK are in agreement, I don't see how his point "disproves" anything I said.

Nahobino's hypothetical content would hinge entirely on Nintendo going for it, SMTV releasing before CP11, Atlus deliberately allowing Sakurai early access to the game, and willingly making him DLC before SMTV is even out.

If we were somehow in November and CP11 hadn't been revealed yet, then maybe I'd keep that option in the back of my mind. But right now? There's way too many planets that would need to align.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I mostly have an inside joke that mocks all those stupidly certain in Shill Picks by just spamming Decidueye.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Out of Smash Ultimate's lifecycle with character reveals, we can all agree that Byleth's trailer caused the most salt during the initial reveal. Of course, Hero from Dragon Quest did also caused some salt, but not as bad since E3 2019 was a two character reveal with Banjo & Kazooie.

Edit: now another topic. What is the character's trailer name should he/she be chosen.

Example:
Banjo & Kazooie: Best Friends
Kazuya: The Iron Fist of Darkness
Pyra/Mythra: One Day, Pyra just disappeared
Hero: Heroic Encounter

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
I guess the moderators should lock the thread again, then. It has outlived its purpose, we must accept Nahobino as he is the only one who could be our last fighter.
That is not what I was saying there, I was saying that a SMT rep has to be Nahobino only because he doesn’t mirror the other SMT protagonists enough to have different skins like Hero.

But in terms of fitting criteria like being powerful enough to outright kill Dharkon and other stuff, then yes, Nahobino pretty much is the only option there(I guess Demi-Fiend could technically do it but he is clearly a level below Nahobino in power).

Nahobino really does check all of the boxes in a way that no other character does.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I don't really think I disproved his point. Even if I did, it wasn't my point.

What I meant is, if we get Nahobino, it doesn't mean all the content would be from V. Part of the music would be from other SMT games, and probably the same goes with the spirits.

Cathedral of Shadows would be the best location from V from a representation standpoint, because it would kinda work as a general representation of the series, but just kinda, because in each game it looks different.

The thing is, he's still right when he said Nahobino being CP11 would be an unprecedented situation. Unlike him, I don't think it's impossible for Nintendo/Atlus to make it happen, but it's certainly unlikely because it would require multiple things to align. So far they haven't done anything like this for a third party character, especially for a character that hasn't "debuted" yet, even if he's from a legacy series.
Hero and DQXI is the closest thing, but by the time Hero was announced, the character was already known to the public because DQXI released on Japan in 2017, and in 2018 was released in the West on PS4.

That is certainly a very different situation from SMTV and Nahobino, who would have required quite the planification from Nintendo and Atlus to be CP11.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
question does anyone know or have any idea why the amiibos are so behind the SSBU __ DLC release?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Some are starting to get Tunnel Vision due to pressure of the last invite. Can't blame them, but beware since reality isn't pretty when it comes to requests.
View attachment 329765
Fantasies can come from wings
Sometimes it's a nursery tale
At other times, it's a gloomy and stormy night

Fantasies can seem so real
Because I felt so sad
Searching for my own faith, yes I will never give it up

Don't mind me, I'm just shilling Phantasy Star's music.
-
That aside, yeah, it's not going to be pretty when the last fighter is revealed, especially with the pressure really starting to set in.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Out of Smash Ultimate's lifecycle with character reveals, we can all agree that Byleth's trailer caused the most salt during the initial reveal. Of course, Hero from Dragon Quest did also caused some salt, but not as bad since E3 2019 was a two character reveal with Banjo & Kazooie.

Edit: now another topic. What is the character's trailer name should he/she be chosen.

Example:
Banjo & Kazooie: Best Friends
Kazuya: The Iron Fist of Darkness
Pyra/Mythra: One Day, Pyra just disappeared
Hero: Heroic Encounter
Quote: Mission to the Floating Island
Neku: Fail, and Face Erasure
Frisk: The Risen Child
Papyrus: A Distant Trousle
Tabuu: The Final Emissary
Heavy: Meet the Smashers

Status