• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, the play conference is coming, Maybe it could inspire people for some DLC smash speculation.
It could, but mostly has Playstation games that may be exclusive only to the console.

For me, I'm sad that I can't play any of the Ratchet and Clank series due to not growing up with the Playstation consoles

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
True, but regarding the sentence in bold, then it makes even less sense because Samus only uses shots and Missiles in two of her moves (plus Morph Bomb, which is mostly used for stalling and keepaway). With Mega Man, every normal is based around a power from the Robot Masters. Which works two ways as a reference and also a creative liberty to round out and balance the moveset.

For example, I don't see why they can't use Samus' different Beam types for normals. It would still achieve the same focus of being centered around projectiles, but actively round out her kit better and make her play closer to her home series.
Tbf can you imagine trying to dodge the Spazer **** would be hilarious, though having **** like the Dark Beam slowing you down would be fun

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Maybe it's my own recency bias, but I'm starting to think not only is PS up there with Puyo or Yakuza in terms of likelyhood, it might actually be the most probable Sega rep no one is expecting.
I am so, so glad PS is finally getting more attention in spec.

It's way overdue, and it still kinda sucks that it took a fake 4chan leak for most people to start considering it as a possibility, and it still kinda annoys me when people only look at PSO2 for possible picks, but I'm so happy it's finally happening

FreeFox

Smash Lord
True, but regarding the sentence in bold, then it makes even less sense because Samus only uses shots and Missiles in two of her moves (plus Morph Bomb, which is mostly used for stalling and keepaway). With Mega Man, every normal is based around a power from the Robot Masters. Which works two ways as a reference and also a creative liberty to round out and balance the moveset.

For example, I don't see why they can't use Samus' different Beam types for normals. It would still achieve the same focus of being centered around projectiles, but actively round out her kit better and make her play closer to her home series.
There are also powers like the shine spark that could be added to her moveset.

It could, but mostly has Playstation games that may be exclusive only to the console.

For me, I'm sad that I can't play any of the Ratchet and Clank series due to not growing up with the Playstation consoles
Well, since we hava had characters arent on a Nintendo Console, this might be a good place to explore for curve balls.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yeah alright guys I’m sorry, it just got tiring and frustrating seeing Nahobino is the absolute so much on here, but I’ll try better to ignore it from now on and return to my regularly-scheduled dose of optimism:

yeah Nahobino would be disappointing imo but I wouldn’t be mad or anything, and hey maybe I’d find him or stuff he has to be cool like with other characters I wasn’t really interested in like I’ve said before.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
That doesn’t mean anything. And even if it did Sakurai and/or Nintendo had to go back to Atlus to decide on the inclusion of the Sophia spirit from Persona 5 Strikers at that exact time period.
But it does mean something as it shows sakurai didn’t go for SMT. You’ve got no logic here. Let’s put it this way shall we.

base game negotiations and planning started the moment dlc for smash 4 finished meaning sakurai probably also had to get the legal rights for pass 1 of dlc around that time as well. Proof off this is Steve being in negotiations for soo long, 4 years to be precise Which is how long smash ultimate had been worked on for.

This probably goes to show joker probably was negotiated for as early as 2016 considering he announced in 2018 and characters are negotiated for way in advance. Nahobino wasn’t around back then so he couldn’t off been negotiated for at the same time which means the next time he could of been negotiated for would’ve been 2018 at the minimum since that’s supposedly when pass 2 was decided.

if we look at 2018 though, SMT 5 was barely even a thing and since most of the characters chosen by sakurai and Nintendo for pass 2 were from games before 2018, it’s probably fair to say that the last character isn’t from a new game after 2018 and if it is it’s gonna be a first party where Nintendo have control over how much it gets advertised and know how much they’ll make or expect to make from the game.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
You’re literally doing the same thing with arbitrary quotas that have been irrelevant for most of the DLC, while insisting he’s also the only one who could do certain things such as “only he fits purple” or “only he could defeat Dharkon” which is far from the truth and as if those two specifically even matter at all.

No character perfectly checks every box, or even most boxes, and we don’t even know what the boxes are; we just get an idea based on past fighters, but even then we end up wrong. And if we go by past precedent, Nahobino certainly doesn’t check every box, just like every other character.

And there’s no point in pressing people. Speculation is meaningless at the end of the day. The only point is fun social interaction, and that disappears if all you want to do is insist everyone else is wrong because one character is the absolute perfect fit and is guaranteed, no other possibility.
The point is for other people to prove me wrong, not to prove that I am necessarily right.

If there is a character that Nintendo or Sakurai has waiting in the wings for this moment and someone has definitive enough proof and I can’t just tear the whole thing down then I want to hear about it because that would cast an actual doubt in my idea that Nahobino has this thing wrapped up.

The problem comes from the fact that there is definitive evidence that Nahobino is the final character and people just want to dismiss that because it hurts their character’s chances or leads to belief that Nahobino is the final character instead of debunking it. For instance, Joker should have come with a Jack Frost spirit, there is no getting around this. There should have been Nocturne spirits now that Persona and TMS has kicked that door open, there is no getting around this.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
But it does mean something as it shows sakurai didn’t go for SMT. You’ve got no logic here. Let’s put it this way shall we.

base game negotiations and planning started the moment dlc for smash 4 finished meaning sakurai probably also had to get the legal rights for pass 1 of dlc around that time as well. Proof off this is Steve being in negotiations for soo long, 4 years to be precise Which is how long smash ultimate had been worked on for.

This probably goes to show joker probably was negotiated for as early as 2016 considering he announced in 2018 and characters are negotiated for way in advance. Nahobino wasn’t around back then so he couldn’t off been negotiated for at the same time which means the next time he could of been negotiated for would’ve been 2018 at the minimum since that’s supposedly when pass 2 was decided.

if we look at 2018 though, SMT 5 was barely even a thing and since most of the characters chosen by sakurai and Nintendo for pass 2 were from games before 2018, it’s probably fair to say that the last character isn’t from a new game after 2018 and if it is it’s gonna be a first party where Nintendo have control over how much it gets advertised and know how much they’ll make or expect to make from the game.
Bro, stop arguing with him. He's a troll. Use the ignore button.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, since we hava had characters arent on a Nintendo Console, this might be a good place to explore for curve balls.
Better then never. It is hard however since the scope is smaller and obvious pressure with little time left before Challenger 11's reveal.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

It's way overdue, and it still kinda sucks that it took a fake 4chan leak for most people to start considering it as a possibility, and it still kinda annoys me when people only look at PSO2 for possible picks, but I'm so happy it's finally happening
I still find it weird that it's harder to find in speculation than smaller characters, despite its precence in Nintendo consoles. Like, okay, PS isn't the biggest thing Sega has after Sonic, but let's be real, neither were Bayonetta and pre-P5 Persona.

Also cut me some slack man, PSO2 is the only PS I've played so far, I'm only starting to really discover the series. Doesn't help that it's one of the few Sega IPs I didn't play at all back in my childhood and teenage years. There's only so much I can say about the other games in the series.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
This guy frequents Nintendo's IR meetings and he has this to say:

See you all next week. :bowsette:
Dude, I am so shocked.
See this? :O <--This is my shocked face.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I took it somewhat seriously when PSO2 had finally came out to the West, but I felt at the time that it might have been too late since Fighters Pass 2 was decided around 2019. I took it much more seriously when I saw the post about Sakurai and Phantasy Star II's story contest and felt, "Huh, maybe Phantasy Star could be picked because of it's influence to Sakurai much like Terry and Fatal Fury".

Only thing I really did regarding the Matoi leak was give a description of the Avatar characters and Matoi. And I've definitely vouched for Alis Landale, and Nei, as possibilities besides the PSO and PSO2 characters.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I still find it weird that it's harder to find in speculation than smaller characters, despite its precence in Nintendo consoles. Like, okay, PS isn't the biggest thing Sega has after Sonic, but let's be real, neither were Bayonetta and pre-P5 Persona.

Also cut me some slack man, PSO2 is the only PS I've played so far, I'm only starting to really discover the series. Doesn't help that it's one of the few Sega IPs I didn't play at all back in my childhood and teenage years. There's only so much I can say about the other games in the series.
Sometimes people in this community just act really ignorant about non-Sonic SEGA stuff tbh

also dw man i getchu i'm just talking about, like, the kind of people that automatically default to matoi as The Pick just cause she was in the 4chan leak

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

As far as I know, normal melee attacks will always be necessary for Samus. Mega Man was able to use weapons almost exclusively because he had a whole bunch of melee ones: Charge Kick (though they opted just to have him slide for whatever reason), Top Spin, Mega Upper (not a weapon, but something he's done before), Flame Sword, Slash Claw, and Super Arm. His Up and Down Smash Attacks even take inspiration from the way that the Robot Masters use the weapons to avoid giving him more projectiles.

Samus on the other hand, has the Shine Spark, Screw Attack, Melee Counters, and that's about it. Most of her other stuff is just upgrades to her normal shot. While I do think it could be more than just a simple charge projectile, I don't think it would be a good idea to use it in most of her normals due to the polarizing nature of projectile normals.

EDIT: I do think they should add at least one of her Melee Counters though. The stationary one would be 10x better than a jab that doesn't work for no reason other than tradition.

There are also powers like the shine spark that could be added to her moveset.
I'm pretty convinced that her Dash Attack is supposed to be the Shine Spark. It doesn't have the bells and whistles attached, but it is a shoulder tackle out of a dash, she appears to crouch slightly before performing it (though not to the extent that she does in Super Metroid), and she does have the same pose when she does it.

Watch Sony acknowledge Ape Escape.

Sony please acknowledge Ape Escape.
They don't want to admit they've lost all of the monkeys.

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman

SMT V was very much a thing in 2018, you are mistakenly thinking that just because 2020 happened that SMT V and other games were being worked on extensively during that time when really most of the work for SMT V had to be happening in 2019(building off of 2017 and 2018)and 2020 was mostly just a wash, and Steve being in negotiations since Smash 4 has nothing to do with Joker or pass 1 because he is a pass 2 character.

And again, Nintendo had to talk to Atlus in 2018 or later because of Sophia from a 2020 game called Persona 5 Strikers.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Samus on the other hand, has the Shine Spark, Screw Attack, Melee Counters, and that's about it. Most of her other stuff is just upgrades to her normal shot. While I do think it could be more than just a simple charge projectile, I don't think it would be a good idea to use it in most of her normals due to the polarizing nature of projectile normals.
In some games it's an add-on you can toggle, but in others they can act independently. Plus, the shots are different enough that they can easily have different effects.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
So who has the most speculator character(s) through each era of Ultime Speculation? For example following Joker the talk was all about Erdrick, Steve, and Banjo. And right now it’s all about this Nahobino chap.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Reminder one more time, if you don't want to see the Playstation presentation (or at least the first few minutes.) The Super Smash Bros Crusade team will have their next challenger reveal soon.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In some games it's an add-on you can toggle, but in others they can act independently. Plus, the shots are different enough that they can easily have different effects.
I know that much, but they're all still straight shooting projectiles (unless there's a homing one or something). Even including a bunch of the weirder ones would still give her tons of projectile normals, which is the main problem.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I have heard of the series for some years but barely saw actual footage of a Phantasy Star game until Maximillian Dood did a few PSO2 online streamings last year, I think? when the beta for the game launched.

And I know that one is different from the classic games but I loved the aesthetic and the music a lot, plus the combat looked very fun.

Kinda interested in learning more about the old entries to be honest

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I know that much, but they're all still straight shooting projectiles (unless there's a homing one or something). Even including a bunch of the weirder ones would still give her tons of projectile normals, which is the main problem.
Yeah, I get that, I just... don't think it's a problem?

Sure, they'd need to be balanced in terms of range, hitstun and knockback so Samus can't just wall you out, but otherwise it's fine. Shooting from a distance is more in line with her anyway, you're not supposed to go sucker-punching people if you have a freaking hand cannon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Conveniently, the State of Play is one hour after the Crusade character reveal. Since the SoP is live in 3 hours, and Crusade is live in 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom