• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Reminder one more time, if you don't want to see the Playstation presentation (or at least the first few minutes.) The Super Smash Bros Crusade team will have their next challenger reveal soon.
Oh no, it wasn’t enough for Fallen Edelgard to obliterate the Fire Emblem Heroes meta — now she’s going to do the same to Super Smash Bros Crusade

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Random maybe fun idea - is there any media or series you'd love to see represented, but you know would never actually happen - catch being, it's not represented by a fighter?

For instance, I've always wanted to see Daft Punk's helmets as Mii Fighter helmets, as well as Devo's energy helmets...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, I get that, I just... don't think it's a problem?

Sure, they'd need to be balanced in terms of range, hitstun and knockback so Samus can't just wall you out, but otherwise it's fine. Shooting from a distance is more in line with her anyway, you're not supposed to go sucker-punching people if you have a freaking hand cannon.
The problem is polarization. If all of her moves are projectiles, then characters with reflectors will have too much power over her. Fox and Ness could hole up in their Reflector and PSI Shield respectively, and she wouldn't be able to do much about it. If Hero gets bounce, she's completely invalidated. On the other side, if a character can't deal with projectiles, she just wins.

Mega Man already has this issue to some extent with just the Mega Buster, if Samus were to trade all of her normal attacks for her projectile weapon, then it would become a big problem.

There is also some logic in the melee strikes, albeit mostly for game design reasons. Samus's projectiles (aside from a charged Charge Shot) are fairly terrible options up close, as they're either unsafe on hit, or too slow to expect to not get punished for using them. This is even more true in the Metroid series since hitstun isn't really a thing for Samus's enemies. Previously, your only option was to run away, but they introduced the Melee Counter so you can have a quick "get off me" option that stops attacks in their tracks and gets you some free hits in by decking them in the face, which I personally think fits Samus more since she kind of leans into the action hero tropes. With the new Dash Melee Counter, she can just bum rush things to stun and take them out before they get a chance to do anything, which is just cool.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Actually, something to think about regarding a couple of series, regarding Phantasy Star and Dark Souls. In regards to the music from those series, they have the music that changes for their fights, sort of like the Mario music for the NES stages for SMB and SMB2 and the Street Fighter Type music. Basically, Phantasy Star Online 2's and Dark Souls 3's boss music are counted as "one track", but they change when the bosses are at the 50% health mark/reach a 2nd/3rd phase/etc.

If Phantasy Star or Dark Souls, or any series with similar use of music, were to get in, how do you think they'd utilize this music in Smash Bros? The music changes after half the time passes or half the stocks are gone? In the case of tracks with 3 phases, they change once at half the time/stocks, then change again at the last stock? Merge the tracks together to form one whole track that repeats? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The problem is polarization. If all of her moves are projectiles, then characters with reflectors will have too much power over her. Fox and Ness could hole up in their Reflector and PSI Shield respectively, and she wouldn't be able to do much about it. If Hero gets bounce, she's completely invalidated. On the other side, if a character can't deal with projectiles, she just wins.

Mega Man already has this issue to some extent with just the Mega Buster, if Samus were to trade all of her normal attacks for her projectile weapon, then it would become a big problem.

There is also some logic in the melee strikes, albeit mostly for game design reasons. Samus's projectiles (aside from a charged Charge Shot) are fairly terrible options up close, as they're either unsafe on hit, or too slow to expect to not get punished for using them. This is even more true in the Metroid series since hitstun isn't really a thing for Samus's enemies. Previously, your only option was to run away, but they introduced the Melee Counter so you can have a quick "get off me" option that stops attacks in their tracks and gets you some free hits in by decking them in the face, which I personally think fits Samus more since she kind of leans into the action hero tropes. With the new Dash Melee Counter, she can just bum rush things to stun and take them out before they get a chance to do anything, which is just cool.
Alright, but then the issue is again, to balance the normal projectiles out, whether by giving them a clear disadvantage, such as no hitstun when uncharged, or keeping a few melee options (like Dash Attack, the tilts and FAir). Ideally, both. But at least her Smash attacks should be different Beam shots imo. Even if it's like Snake, who shoots things upwards or to the ground to create a explosion.

That way, characters with reflectors would still have to read her and they wouldn't be able to wall her out in the air. As for Hero, Bounce has a bit of a self-balancing mechanism itself due to being random. You don't have to make all of her normals projectiles - Mega Man's mostly aren't - but at least make some of them projectiles so it actually feels like I'm playing Samus instead of relegating that game feel to specials only.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You don't have to make all of her normals projectiles - Mega Man's mostly aren't - but at least make some of them projectiles so it actually feels like I'm playing Samus instead of relegating that game feel to specials only.
This I think is perfectly reasonable.

Just give her "fake" projectiles like Mii Gunner and Joker Gun. Not actual projectiles just moves that are super long.
Mii Gunner doesn't have a fake projectile*. I think the only moves that are like this are Joker's Gun, and Bayonetta's Bullet Arts. In both cases, the attacks don't show you the trajectory of the bullets, so all you see is the muzzle flash.

Since Samus's arm cannon fires clearly visible energy shots rather than bullets (and Samus with bullets is very strange), it would probably be weirder than it is even with Gun in the "it's not a projectile because I said so" department.

*EDIT: Oh I think I get what you meant now. The Mii Gunner's Forward Tilt never read as a projectile to me (I just interpreted it as a short ranged energy blast) so it didn't cross my mind at first.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This guy frequents Nintendo's IR meetings and he has this to say:

See you all next week. :bowsette:
Hopefully Sony can continue to learn when Directs are in advance, steal that time, and eventually force Nintendo's hand to announce their show more than ****ing two minutes in advance.

Good guy Sony. :teeth:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

If this is true, and CP11 was going to be revealed at the Nintendo Direct, then Sony just prolonged the life of this thread (and all newcomer support threads) by another week. :4pacman:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If this is true, and CP11 was going to be revealed at the Nintendo Direct, then Sony just prolonged the life of this thread (and all newcomer support threads) by another week. :4pacman:
In other words, screw Sony! Nah, just kidding! I don't think that. The timing may be more coincidental anyway.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Still, if what that David guy said is true, this is not the first time a Direct, let alone a December one, has been delayed.

Remember the September Direct in 2018, with the earthquake or whatever and all?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Not sure what an IR meeting is, but I know what I said earlier but I found something else that may corroborate this

I know, maintenance but:

there are TWO dates listed. Correct me if I’m wrong also but the type of maintenance (download codes), isn’t that done when new DLC for anything is released?

as for save data cloud, do they announce to back up your replays before or after a reveal? (It’s always before release I know that much)

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Actually, something to think about regarding a couple of series, regarding Phantasy Star and Dark Souls. In regards to the music from those series, they have the music that changes for their fights, sort of like the Mario music for the NES stages for SMB and SMB2 and the Street Fighter Type music. Basically, Phantasy Star Online 2's and Dark Souls 3's boss music are counted as "one track", but they change when the bosses are at the 50% health mark/reach a 2nd/3rd phase/etc.

If Phantasy Star or Dark Souls, or any series with similar use of music, were to get in, how do you think they'd utilize this music in Smash Bros? The music changes after half the time passes or half the stocks are gone? In the case of tracks with 3 phases, they change once at half the time/stocks, then change again at the last stock? Merge the tracks together to form one whole track that repeats? What are your thoughts?
Probably the former. Depends on the track - some bosses look like they have changes for certain attacks, which I think would probably be condensed into other parts of the track.

Speaking of... I can't quite put my finger on it, but in terms of music there's nothing quite like PSO2 in the Smash tracks of now. Maybe it's some specific blend of electronic music and orchestrals that only they manage to hit, but it's not easily identifiable, like Touhou's infamous ZUNpets that you don't really see in other OSTs.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not sure what an IR meeting is, but I know what I said earlier but I found something else that may corroborate this
It probably stands for internal revenue. Even if it doesn't, it's pure speculation on his part, and isn't even plausible IMO. If the Nintendo Direct is next week, it's because it was always going to be next week. It wouldn't be a good idea logistically if they were going to hold a Nintendo Direct, and then move it back because Sony announced a State of Play the day before they were going to announce it.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

I don't buy it.

We had Nintendo Directs and SoP in the same week in the past and the only time Nintendo ever delayed a Direct was when that earthquake in Japan happened.

I guess if this really is true we could see more third parties make their announcements on their own in the near future, or maybe since this wasn't a last-minute delay they had more time to reorganize things?... eh who knows.
I just think it would be too much of a headache for Nintendo to delay it as oppose to risk being overshadowed by Sony.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't buy it.

We had Nintendo Directs and SoP in the same week in the past and the only time Nintendo ever delayed was when that earthquake in Japan happened.

I guess if this really is true we could see more third parties make their announcements on their own in the near future, or maybe since this wasn't a last-minute delay they had more time to reorganize things?... eh who knows.
I just think it would be too much of a headache for Nintendo to delay it as oppose to risk being overshadowed by Sony.
Come to think of it, does Nintendo even care about competing with Sony, or Sony itself to begin with? I am thinking not.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The point is for other people to prove me wrong, not to prove that I am necessarily right.
In civilized debate the onus to justify a position is on the party who offers it. So, the point is for other people who disagree with your thesis to prove why they are right so that your thesis may evolve. Otherwise you can stick your fingers in your ears and waggle your tongue until you're nabo-blue in the face but you've still acquiesced the notion of proper discourse by this point rendering further argument pointless.

But that's actually beside the Point.

The point is as Venus pointed out (read the room yo) harping on and on about one character is basically spam so don't do it.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Come to think of it, does Nintendo even care about competing with Sony, or Sony itself to begin with? I am thinking not.
I don't think so. Sony probably sees Microsoft more as their direct competitor. Doesn't mean Nintendo isn't another competitor as well though, but both kinda cater to different markets and demands. Same case from Nintendo's perspective, with the difference that Nintendo doesn't really have a direct rival since they decided to stop make powerful consoles with the Wii.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't think so. Sony probably sees Microsoft more as their direct competitor. Doesn't mean Nintendo isn't another competitor as well. Same case from Nintendo's perspective, with the difference that Nintendo doesn't really have a direct rival.
I thought so. I did not say Nintendo was not a competitor though. Perhaps Nintendo could care less about the Direct being the same week as the State of Play? I am starting to think David's statement is not true.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you guys think there are any viable nonhuman characters that are neither platforming characters or Pokémon? I feel like Smash is still a bit lacking in that department and it would be cool to see more of these. I’m not referring to characters that look human but technically aren’t like Pyra and Mythra, but something that clearly visually isn’t human.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think there are any viable nonhuman characters that are neither platforming characters or Pokémon? I feel like Smash is still a bit lacking in that department and it would be cool to see more of these.
Viable as in likely? Or just smash compatible?
Mallo is a sumo cat
Qbby is a square
Rash is a humanoid toad
Tin Star is a robot cowboy
Barbara the bat is, well, a bat thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom