• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
1. Pikmin being niche therefore not receiving too much acknowledgement
I mean... the DEBUT game (on a system, Gamecube, wherein it is one of the biggest series to come from this era), sold 1.2 million copies. It took until Awakening to reach the 2 million mark (or close thereto), and this was considered revolutionary.
I feel like the terms of 'niche' and 'mainstream success' often get very strayed, based on the point an individual is trying to propagate.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It... it isn't?

It's literally just a collection of various puzzles loosely tied together by an overarching plot. There's no combat or traversal or strategy elements, just hundreds of puzzles.

If that's not a puzzle game, I really don't know what is.
Ima late but Professor Layton is a Puzzle/Adventrue. Idk what Swamp is talking about

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
For real that **** was so hype I'd have bought BBTag had it not been for Senran Kagura
I’m on the polar opposite of that spectrum; if they add more from the franchise, I’d buy BBTag for Senran Kagura alone. It’s a franchise I unironically adore (if my gushing over it in certain spots on this thread and the Social are of any indication).

In other news, possibly :ultgreninja:‘d, but Pic of the Day anyway;
I don’t think I’ve ever bared witness to such a series of unfortunate events in a Smash cycle as I’ve seen for Isaac. From the Rathalos snapshot during development to the Healing Orb being mistaken for a Golden Sun item, things seemed to be looking really good until the Grinch Leak was put out to pasture. I can’t think of any character who’s had as much misfortune.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I’m on the polar opposite of that spectrum; if they add more from the franchise, I’d buy BBTag for Senran Kagura alone. It’s a franchise I unironically adore (if my gushing over it in certain spots on this thread and the Social are of any indication).

I don’t think I’ve ever bared witness to such a series of unfortunate events in a Smash cycle as I’ve seen for Isaac. From the Rathalos snapshot during development to the Healing Orb being mistaken for a Golden Sun item, things seemed to be looking really good until the Grinch Leak was put out to pasture. I can’t think of any character who’s had as much misfortune.
All of Camelots and anything relating to Sega CD4 dev created franchises are cursed

Shining Force
LandStalker
Illbleed
Blue Stinger
Golden Sun

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
yeah I’d recommend not playing the lady Layton game. Was tuned down to try and appeal to women more and it literally gets rid of the majority of things that made the original trilogy and the 2nd trilogy great.
I was excited for it but ill be the first to say that it was a mistake not having Layton as the main character. The games did just as good with women when Layton was the main character then they did when his daughter was. And to be honest the games puzzles went downhill after the Puzzle Maker died

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It's strange in hindsight that Alph wasn't made into an Echo Fighter especially since he was intended to be a clone in Smash 4 and some Echoes like Daisy and Richter are just alts with new animations and voices. Seems like it would have been a no-brainer.

But then again, as time continues to prove, the dev team REALLY hates changing characters when they don't have to. So it's not all that surprising.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
It's strange in hindsight that Alph wasn't made into an Echo Fighter especially since he was intended to be a clone in Smash 4 and some Echoes like Daisy and Richter are just alts with new animations and voices. Seems like it would have been a no-brainer.
If that trend continues into the next game, I'd love to see Louie as an Olimar echo with Brittany as an alt. They already have the similar body structures (and appetites).

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
That was in 2017, and the roster was determined in 2015, two years before that. Pikmin was still not doing that hot. I didn't say relevant, I said "big to promote". ...Hey! Pikmin isn't exactly a big game. It's a smaller spin-off game.
I know, I was mainly talking about the present situation/FP2 rather than base game. But yeah, even if I want to see them add someone like Louie instead, I do think they could've done way more for Alph. Alongside that, give Olimar and Alph their voices! They have voices in the actual games!

Bulbmin I can definitely see! Maybe even alongside Louie since both made their debut in Pikmin 2. Puffmin (the Mushroom Pikmin) are simply regular Pikmin that were temporarily infected by the Puffstool's spores in the Forest Navel, and they attack Olimar, so them helping him out wouldn't make much sense.

If that trend continues into the next game, I'd love to see Louie as an Olimar echo with Brittany as an alt. They already have the similar body structures (and appetites).
That would be a fantastic idea! Furthermore, I remember someone suggesting that Louie use PikPik Carrots for his aerials instead of the Pikmin themselves, which could easily be swapped out for cherries for the Brittany alt!

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I feel like this question was asked before, but just in case I'll ask it again

If Ultimate had a Regular Amount of Newcomers, who do you think would have made the Roster?

I think because Ultimate had such a low amount of Newcomers (Even lower than Smash 64), that characters that might have had a chance in getting in a Regular Smash game lost their chance in Ultimate

It's also likely that the Standard for DLC Characters are higher, so there's this weird gap with characters that weren't prioritized enough for Base Roster, and Might likely not get prioritized for DLC either

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

If Ultimate had a Regular Amount of Newcomers, who do you think would have made the Roster?

I think because Ultimate had such a low amount of Newcomers (Even lower than Smash 64), that characters that might have had a chance in getting in a Regular Smash game lost their chance in Ultimate

It's also likely that the Standard for DLC Characters are higher, so there's this weird gap with characters that weren't prioritized enough for Base Roster, and Might likely not get prioritized for DLC either
Issac for sure. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t’ve made the cut if there were more characters. Skull Kid and Shadow probably would’ve had better chances too.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Considering we got characters from ARMS and XC2, it's likely that any charscter who missed their chance probably would have get in with DLC anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Nice to catch a rare instance of Sakurai being aware this series exists

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You get to participate, but nobody cares.

Checks out. :4pacman:
You get a 1/59 shot of appearing for a few seconds in the background and only if people bother to turn on items, which a sizable proportion of the player base does not, most notably in competitive.

Gee and I wonder why nobody cares. :4pacman:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Boyz. Welcome to 1985.

View attachment 325073

Time to breakout my NES. :4pacman:
Man, you're lucky. All I can play is the ZX Spectrum because the NES was too expensive over in Europe. Just look how long it takes to load one game.

Though I have to admit, there is something... mesmerising about the load screen...

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I was excited for it but ill be the first to say that it was a mistake not having Layton as the main character. The games did just as good with women when Layton was the main character then they did when his daughter was. And to be honest the games puzzles went downhill after the Puzzle Maker died
I’m glad the anime fixed this apparently. Apparently the anime was popular and a success over in Japan which is why the game got a rerelease with the anime voice actors and why it got a re-run recently on TV in Japan.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Pic of the Day:

Today in 2001, "Golden Sun" (Golden Sun) is on sale !! Isaac's assist figure uses an energy called move. In this volume, it is a convenient one that can move rocks and pillars. Two sequels have been produced, but the third one is 30 years later. Isaac's son is the main character.
Yay. I was getting worried for a moment when we got Pokémon instead of Golden Sun on its 20th Anniversary. Just glad to see it get acknowledged by Sakurai in some way after all this time. Especially since the Rathalos one probably wasn't intentional.

Also nice to see Isaac giving Pokémon the Move Pound treatment :4pacman:

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sakurai's already said that every game with substantial content will get a daily pic if there's an appropriate anniversary. Costumes, stages, assist trophies, items and fighters all count.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Interesting question. I'm going to add 7 more characters, two of which get to be third party.

• Isaac. He did well enough on the ballot to come back as an AT, if they had more resources I could definitely seeing them upping the representation
  • Krystal. See Isaac, more or less. She was big in the fanbase, but that kinda died between 4 and Ult.
  • Bandana Dee. Popular and relevant.
  • Zelda rep. I don't know who specifically, but I feel like we would get one.
  • Retro character. Once again, I don't know who exactly, but I feel like we would have got another retro character. Maybe a Gameboy or SNES rep this time?
  • Zero. Once again, he was popular enough to be an AT.
  • Rayman. Ubisoft has been begging to get him in the game for years, and his niche-ness in Japan is softened by being a base game character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So yesterday I decided to finally do something I've been trying to for a few months now: I turned on my Wii again and replayed all of SSE for the first time in over 10 years.

I wanted to do it just because I started having doubts about whether or not I was being blinded by nostalgia goggles. Now I can safely say that it's not the case. As far as I'm concerned, The Subspace Emissary is the best single player experience to ever grace Smash.

Firstly, it's far shorter than I remembered - to the point where I think a seasoned payer can clear it all in one sitting. Secondly, I felt that the "beat'em'up-esque" sections were never boring and the ambushes rarely overstayed their welcome. Though I do have a problem with some moving sections. But overall, walking through levels was a very fun experience. There's a bunch of interesting mechanics and puzzles too, which I feel bring some variety to the table.

I can see why it ate so much dev time - and because of that, I kinda wished Sakurai and the team had reused more stuff from the existing stages and more enemies from existing series rather than try to make so much from scratch. Would have given the world more personality too - very few areas seem actually inspired by Nintendo worlds, like Skyworld and the Ice Climbers area.

As for the setpieces and the story, it's amazing how they managed to create some interesting moments out of a crossover story where pretty much no one talks. Plenty of great moments, like Lucas' mini character arc, Meta Knight and Marth fighting back to back, Captain Falcon accidentally killing like a dozen Pikmin while landing from a midair Falcon Punch... there are some things that go unexplained unless you read Sakurai's blog posts, but otherwise it's very solid.

I really wish the Smash team didn't focus so much on people uploading cutscenes from the internet and tried to give a similar experience in 4 and Ultimate. Smash Run is close, but it's not a substitute, and WoL seemed more and more flawed with every run I made. I wish they saw that watching the SSE cutscenes is not a substitute for the mode. It's some of the best times I've had with a single player mode in Smash, and I'm sad to see this great concept for a mode go like that.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
what gimmick fighting style we dont have in smash yet?
Hmm...
A stance character that could upgrade their moves in battle? (and per stock)

Specific HYPOTHETICAL example since it's in my head right now:
Gill Grunt
Persephone is a background character whenever Gill's in battle. In Skylanders canon, Persephone is who you go to to upgrade a character's moves, from providing more power, to even providing brand new moves and passive abilities. You can also choose to focus your upgrade on a specific "path" of your choice. In this hypothetical Smash situation, Gill goes up to her (like Steve going up to his crafting table), and, let's say by pressing down on the joystick, Gill can upgrade his harpoon gun, his other moves, and even upgrade to his Rip Tide form by collecting adequate currency (which he could collect by doing damage on opponents or collect even more by getting hit himself).

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we have a bo-staff weapon fighter yet do we. Palutena uses a staff, so that's really close; but it's more of a magic weapon than a martial one. The best person I can think of for this is Krystal. She's first party and a long standing request. However, if they really wanted to go third party on the basis of this weapon alone there's Kilik from Soul Calibur.

Also I have to pitch that we don't really have an earth magic user in Smash, and Isaac would suit that perfectly. The closest is Ivysaur's grass moves, which has a bit of crossover with Venus Psynergy.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Another answer I just though of, influenced by what Rie just said

A character that could switch weapons using Down-B, but with the switching of weapons, gets a whole different set of specials and normal attacks.

Example: Bodvar from Brawlhalla
he gets 3 sets of moves

1) Weaponless
2) With his sword
3) With his hammer

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

As someothers said..

1) Isaac
2) Piranha Plant in base
3) Bandana Waddle Dee
4) Either Banjo or Steve

And that’s basically all, maybe some of the most new ATs like Krystal or Knuckles, but a 10/12 newcomers + 5 echoes is a somewhat reasonable expectation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I think Elma for sure would have been base if this was the scenario

Theguy123

Smash Lord
do we know when voice lines are recorded for characters leading up to their trailers and presentations. Are they recorded after their trailers and presentations are done, are they recorded way in advance or are they recorded as the trailers and presentations are being made

had a theory that came to me last night about how the last character could potentially have an English voice which is why the wait is taking some time but it’s just a theory and only works a bit if voice lines for the character are recorded right before the character trailer and presentations are done

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
do we know when voice lines are recorded for characters leading up to their trailers and presentations. Are they recorded after their trailers and presentations are done, are they recorded way in advance or are they recorded as the trailers and presentations are being made

had a theory that came to me last night about how the last character could potentially have an English voice which is why the wait is taking some time but it’s just a theory and only works a bit if voice lines for the character are recorded right before the character trailer and presentations are done
Skye Bennett's said she did the VA work of Pythra like 6 months prior to the announcement iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom