• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If X gets ported, Cross could survive with the continue save file trick, but they’ve still got too many weapons (and it doesn’t behave like Inkling/Octoling, weapons are tied to skill sets in X)...
I'd imagine they'd just pick the Duelist style since that's the designated beginner class.

...and are too much of a blank slate personality wise. Even Corrin and Byleth have personalities...
Actually, they have 7 personalities, one for each voice actor. Even the basic one has cool lines like "Fate dealt us these cards, so we have to play them" (at least, the male one says this). You must just be remembering the fact that they have no lines in cutscenes (likely for budgetary reasons).

I don't think Cross should be the pick, but they are realizable, personality and all.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
If X gets ported, Cross could survive with the continue save file trick, but they’ve still got too many weapons (and it doesn’t behave like Inkling/Octoling, weapons are tied to skill sets in X) and are too much of a blank slate personality wise. Even Corrin and Byleth have personalities

the narrative focuses most on Elma anyway seeing as how she’s mandatory in literally every story mission, Cross is little more than a player self insert
If Cross’s identity is that minimal, couldn’t they have “Cross” return in the next game but not have it actually be the same guy?

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I think it’s way too late at this point but I’m still hoping for OG Hyrule Warriors Impa. I loved her design in that game and she had two amazing move sets. She would make for a really cool weapon changing stance character using her great sword and naginata.
As far as adding characters from existing series goes (either in this game or the next), here are who I think would be good picks:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Pretty much any character with a major role that isn't Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf. Impa,
  • Kid Icarus: Hades, Medusa, and Viridi would be pretty interesting. Varying levels of unnecessary, but interesting nonetheless.
  • For the Miis, add a Mii Caster for the magical flavour.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: new protagonists Elma, and any non-spoilery playable character from the first game are all good choices..
  • Bayonetta: I dunno.
Honestly, I'd be down for Impa, especially since she now has not one but two absolutely killer new Smash-ready designs. I can completely appreciate how she's more reoccurring and important as opposed to other characters I wanted in, like Midna/Wolf Link, Tetra, Skull Kid, etc.

But only if she has a pale-green-skinned alt referencing when she got possessed by Veran in Oracle of Ages. Because I want Nintendo to acknowledge the Oracle games again...for once...
Gengar84 Gengar84 ; FYI OG Hyrule Warriors is not considered canon

SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy ; thank you for the ( Impa / Paya ) & Elma & Mii Caster support
also why no Amazon Pandora for Kid Icarus?
why no Rodin or Baldur for Bayonetta?
RoboFist RoboFist ; thank you for the ( Impa / Paya ) support[/spoiler]

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Cross’s identity is that minimal, couldn’t they have “Cross” return in the next game but not have it actually be the same guy?
It's not really. The other reason why I wouldn't just wipe the slate with Cross (you can have a different avatar, but it shouldn't also be Cross) is that he's a major player in the story, as they're the eyes you see the story through. Other characters have more interesting roles, but this is likely because they have two voice actors each instead of...does math...28? Holy crap! Anyway, they're not unimportant, just not too compelling during cutscenes since they mostly stand around, and speak through prompts.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Gengar84 Gengar84 ; FYI OG Hyrule Warriors is not considered canon

SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy ; thank you for the ( Impa / Paya ) & Elma & Mii Caster support
RoboFist RoboFist ; thank you for the ( Impa / Paya ) support[/spoiler]
I’m aware of that but there is also no rule saying Smash can only have characters and content from canon games. I’d love to see lot more from spinoff games. Besides, HW Impa looks to be largely inspired by her Skyward Sword design, which is canon.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
what gimmick fighting style we dont have in smash yet?
tbh I just want a char that can temporarily turn into the opponent like shang tsung

nothing better than hitting someone with their own combo, plus forcing a mirror match is a mindgame in of itself

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I don’t know if I really consider Toon Link a completely new character to be fair. He was basically just a replacement for Young Link as another lightweight Link clone.
It's that always-present time limit and need to cut corners (which leads to Young / Toon Link etc. in the first place). And I wouldn't be surprised if a key reason why the characters are touched so little between games is because the general game is intentionally changed each time. 64 does not play entirely like Melee, which in turn does not really play the same as Brawl etc. Dealing with both massive character and gameplay changes might be the kind of scenario Sakurai wants to avoid when players start out acclimating to a new game - not to mention the inevitable split in opinion between the old and new character designs.

Who knows, Sakurai might have actually considered a lot of the ideas presented (say reworking Ganondorf further, decloning Young / Toon Link etc.), but the evidence we have (past Smash games) suggest that that's not something he's confident with just going full throttle with.

Eh, given how limited things are, I'll take :ulttoonlink: being the floaty Link with a better jump and single hit attacks, and :ultyounglink: being the faster of the two with a stronger focus on chaining attacks. (Okay, in an ideal world I'd declone them further, but still, what we're working with).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because she's a fairly minor character. Hades, Medusa, and Viridi would be better IMO. EDIT: Especially in the context of "the next pick", which was were I was opperating.

"I dunno" meant "I don't know enough to judge what the good picks are from this series".

tbh I just want a char that can temporarily turn into the opponent like shang tsung

nothing better than hitting someone with their own combo, plus forcing a mirror match is a mindgame in of itself
I gotcha covered.
1627932683500.png

It’s weird to think that if it weren’t for Melee and Brawl having extra development time, :ultfox: would have been the only Star Fox character come Ultimate and in future games.
Eeeeh. They might have added Falco in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Wolf probably wouldn't have been added though, and that would be sad because Wolf is freaking awesome.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I got another question, and I don't know if it was asked before, but this might be interesting

Do you think the 3rd Party Content is the biggest reason that Ultimate might not happen again, as in the Next Smash game won't have as many characters?

And on that note, if Smash had kept itself only to Nintendo owned Characters, what do you think the Difference would be in terms of Sales?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It’s weird to think that if it weren’t for Melee and Brawl having extra development time, :ultfox: would have been the only Star Fox character come Ultimate and in future games.
The Star Fox explosion after Melee (Adventures, Assault, Command) makes me think we'd have gotten one more character in Brawl.

Heck, it probably would have been Krystal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So I got another question, and I don't know if it was asked before, but this might be interesting

Do you think the 3rd Party Content is the biggest reason that Ultimate might not happen again, as in the Next Smash game won't have as many characters?

And on that note, if Smash had kept itself only to Nintendo owned Characters, what do you think the Difference would be in terms of Sales?
I think it's one of the reasons, but the biggest reason will be them starting from the ground up again instead of building off the current roster, and it not being feasible to add some 90 characters to a game that starts from square one, especially if they continue to get more elaborate.

As we continue the sales difference the third-parties make will probably continue to increase, but without them Smash would still be very highly successful. It would still be a triple-A series. The first-party stable and the gameplay formula is engaging enough to still move significant units.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No. The biggest reason is scope. SquareEnix is the second biggest reason. :4pacman:

No but seriously, while there is a character or two that I think they'd have trouble putting on a base roster, the sheer scope of the roster is the real reason why it won't happen.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The Star Fox explosion after Melee (Adventures, Assault, Command) makes me think we'd have gotten one more character in Brawl.

Heck, it probably would have been Krystal.
I mean, the Star Fox explosion after Melee didn't help the series get a 100% unique newcomer regardless. We'd probably still would of just gotten Wolf at best and nothing else.

"Fun" fact: Today is Star Fox Command's 15th anniversary in Japan...which means it's now been officially 15 years since Krystal last appeared in Star Fox.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
sorry to break the current line of discussion but i did manage to find the WoL awakening battle templates...sort of. i had to screenshot them from another youtube video which is why there's a Thing in the corner above the fight button, you can edit that out if you wish

i know i request these kinds of edits a lot, but anyone skilled in editing and making a mockup of a spirit/awakening battle wanna help me out with this request?

if this is better for the social thread lmk and i'll take it there

Colololin

Smash Cadet
I am safely fairly confident that Sakurai's Heaven joke was a hint towards Apex Legends memes.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sakurai is hinting that the last character is Wraith, Bangalore, pathfinder or whoever it is they settled on.
I don’t really see how though? I guess I’m not familiar with Apex Legends despite me having it on my Switch

however… there was that one Apex Legends rumor…

Theguy123

Smash Lord

Imagine the scenes. It’s 10 years later and the impossible has happened.

Not only has Sakurai gone and managed to bring everyone back , they also managed to bring back sephiroth, cloud, hero and crono into the base roster after being deemed impossible

Sakurai be like
02BD1C9D-D87D-4EED-B2F4-D618688E6576.jpeg

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean, the Star Fox explosion after Melee didn't help the series get a 100% unique newcomer regardless. We'd probably still would of just gotten Wolf at best and nothing else.

"Fun" fact: Today is Star Fox Command's 15th anniversary in Japan...which means it's now been officially 15 years since Krystal last appeared in Star Fox.
Another thing to note is that all the post-64 games saw much less sales. In this hypothetical scenario I’m not even sure any Star Fox character would have been super requested enough to eventually make it in the same way :ultkrool: made it to Ultimate. Star Fox is in a much worse position post-Brawl than Donkey Kong.

And speaking of Donkey Kong, considering we only saw a third character after 10 years due to overwhelming fan demand, I think there is a very decent chance we may never see another newcomer from that franchise again, similar to how we haven’t seen a unique Legend of Zelda newcomer since Melee.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
I don’t really see how though? I guess I’m not familiar with Apex Legends despite me having it on my Switch

I only started playing Apex when it came to Switch so I never knew this but just found out from a friend half an hour ago. There is a meme among the streamers and forums about Legends going to Heaven when they die.

It is probably a deliberate hint at that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I only started playing Apex when it came to Switch so I never knew this but just found out from a friend half an hour ago. There is a meme among the streamers and forums about Legends going to Heaven when they die.

Trying to find the Heaven tweet, which one is it?

subterrestrial

Smash Ace

nintendo translated to english means heavenly luck or smth like that

people are sleeping on the very real possibility of an Apex character tho, I can see it happening

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
bruh wtf is that thing ? the next stage in dolphin evolution ?
lol that's Twelve. He's...a mess. More specifically, he's a character from Street Fighter III: Third Strike, and sucks in just about every way. I always liked him though. One of his abilities is X-Copy, which turns him into the other fighter. Even this ability sucks because most characters aren't great without meter, and X-Copy removes your ability to use meter.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

What exact rumor?
Though if it's true, there's our EA rep (rip Crazy Dave tho)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Apex Legends character: gets in
Titanfall fans: "Profound Sadness!"
Me, a Sims stan who knows they’d have to have a reference to WooHoo somewhere and that’s not for Good Boys And Girls Of All Ages(TM): “it’s for the best”

FreeFox

Smash Lord
It was during Kazuya's presentation where Sakurai was saying about a voice in his head telling him to put Tekken in Smash.
I remember reading something of the sort in this thread. It was mentioned that the kanji for Heaven exist in Nintendo. And soem speculated about Rhythm Heaven getting representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom