• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Me, a Sims stan who knows they’d have to have a reference to WooHoo somewhere and that’s not for Good Boys And Girls Of All Ages(TM): “it’s for the best”
...how would they even reference WooHoo? The victory screen? There's no real context in Super Smash Bros. where the action would make sense.

Also what does The Sims have to do with Titanfall?

Also also...uh. This took my mind to some weird places so uh...I guess you got even with me for the cursed Super Princess Peach knowledge without even trying. lol

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I remember reading something of the sort in this thread. It was mentioned that the kanji for Heaven exist in Nintendo. And soem speculated about Rhythm Heaven getting representation.
It's a common assumption that the name "Nintendo" is intended to mean "leave luck to heaven," so if Sakurai was referencing anything with that heaven phrase, it was almost certainly that, rather than a meme amongst Apex Legends players.

And that implies Sakurai was even referencing anything at all, and that he wasn't just making a joke.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Seems this is it.

A bit of a tin foil hat idea, but getting an EA character could have ended up being a surprisingly smooth deal as a result of Doug Bowser, the 2007-2015 Vice President of global demand planning at EA, becoming the President of Nintendo of America.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
It is the rumor I am most paying attention to now because usually Smash leaks get shot down within a few months and this has lasted over a year.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Seems this is it.

A bit of a tin foil hat idea, but getting an EA character could have ended up being a surprisingly smooth deal as a result of Doug Bowser, the 2007-2015 Vice President of global demand planning at EA, becoming the President of Nintendo of America.
There’s a different one, I’m waiting for 7NATOR to come on and provide the link to the other post

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Is EA western or Japanese. I feel like I should know this considering I buy fifa every year but I don’t.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

Seems this is it.

Ok, I sense some BS coming from this guy (not you Gil, just the guy you linked to)

Not only has he linked an IGNBoard thread made by a guy with one post, but this same guy also did the same thing for another user with the same post amount

Not to mention he made another thread saying he has his own sources:

And another with the tried and true "aPeX iS iN!" shtick:

I definitely would not trust this dude lol.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here's the link to the original IGN post: https://www.ignboards.com/threads/how-nintendo-paid-ea-money-to-fund-ports.455570580/

Here's what it says:
Firstly, I am fully aware nobody will believe me (at least not right now) but I am putting this out there so I can say "I told you so" later. Apex Legends will be getting exclusive content on Switch through two marketing methods. The first is in Apex Legends itself and the second is via Smash Bros DLC. Last year after Reggie left, Nintendo America pressed EA HARD to get back on their system. They had ongoing talks with both Japan and EA in order to work out a collaboration deal rather then pay EA to port the games with an off payment. Instead they gave EA the collaboration money to invest in ports while simeltaneously giving them a position on the Super Smash Bros Ultimate roster. Shockingly, they complied. Sakurai has been given a lot of creative freedom to make it a reality (something EA does not normally do).

TL/DR: Nintendo America paid for Apex Legends content in Smash Bros and Apex itself to use for EA to bring games on the system.
There is no evidence, no sources and we're meant to put our beliefs in a random post.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
There’s a different one, I’m waiting for 7NATOR to come on and provide the link to the other post
Ah, I see.
Not gonna lie, I thought that was the one, considering 7NATOR himself commented a few things on it haha.

Also, I saw some people bring up many interesting points, 2 of which are below:
1) IF... and big if, this is true, doing the ARMS-March 2020 style poster saying "This fighter's from Apex Legends" makes some sense. Apex is one of those FPS and F2P games with no outright main protagonist (to my knowledge; I did play the game for a few months back in 2019, and stopped playing since).

2) The game came out a few months before FP2's content was reportedly finalized. If this said report is true, then Apex, which we know shot up in popularity, at least in the west, must've ALSO shot up in Japan. Ergo, a last minute FP concept. This does, and simultaneously doesn't make sense.

Have a look at this:
Over 70,000,000 players by the end of its launch year. (worldwide)
EA779CAC-8F2F-4BCB-ADFC-94C76D09F8A7.jpeg

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Takes some guts to say that a western rep that isn’t Ubisoft, activision or Bethesda and is an EA rep is coming to smash. might be worth holding onto that.

I personally don’t see a western rep happening in this pass again because even though Microsoft and Nintendo were on good terms and buddy buddies, it still took Steve 5 years for him to happen and considering EA came out And insulted the switch and mocked it I’d find it hard to believe that Nintendo could forgive them so easily.

AL is huge though so I’m holding onto the idea.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Not only are there no sources or evidence.

Blackmail? really? That is not how any of this works.

The person definitely handled it in a very obnoxious manner but I believe they leaked Dead Space so either the person made up this info hopping on DS or this has truth in it. We will see.
A Dead Space remake has been in the rumor mill for a while

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Much like Fortnite, Apex Legends just feels too "new" to me. At least Minecraft was given about eleven or so years before it got into Smash.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Not only are there no sources or evidence.

Blackmail? really? That is not how any of this works.

A Dead Space remake has been in the rumor mill for a while
Like I said we will see. There are cases where this happened before, Shuma Gorath in MVC 3 was only allowed to be in as DLC or not at all so I am afraid blackmail does happen with roster negotiations.

Do not get me wrong I am not saying it is completely trustworthy but it is one of the few rumors which held ground and has yet to be shot down.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I need to ask the money maker question which will confirm whether apex legend has a chance or is 90% deconfirmed.

what year was apex legend made in???

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Aren’t the Mass Effect remasters coming to Switch? That’s EA innit?
Well they confirmed a new game for the series at TGA 2020... Commander Shepard.

Gosh darn, we should've been looking at EA more.
I still wonder why they wouldn't do good ol' Plants vs Zombies.
Spirit event at least.

And remember, Apex Switch HAS gotten exclusive content. To my knowledge, the only example I can think of is a Nintendo - looking Pathfinder skin iirc. (Seems to be exclusive given the wording of the tweet shown in this article)
If they do more exclusive content, that's a green flag imo.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Like I said we will see. There are cases where this happened before, Shuma Gorath in MVC 3 was only allowed to be in as DLC or not at all so I am afraid blackmail does happen with roster negotiations.

Do not get me wrong I am not saying it is completely trustworthy but it is one of the few rumors which held ground and has yet to be shot down.
Blackmail =/= being Staunch

From what I now the Shuma Gorath situation was just Capcom being staunch and standing their ground, That isn't what I would call blackmail.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I need to ask the money maker question which will confirm whether apex legend has a chance or is 90% deconfirmed.

Dunno what the year has to do with it but Apex Legends came out in 2019 on PC, xbox an pa4 and came out March of this year on switch

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

It was released in Feb of 2019, and reached over 25 million players over just one week.

That said, I can still see it being too new in Nintendo's eyes at the time the Fighter's Pass was finalized (which according to some rumors was around E3 2019? About just 4 months time).

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Apex makes sense regarding the idea that Nintendo could want to keep the final roster "up to date". We did this already with 3H as first party, but not with 3rd party...at least not now.

It's exact release date is February 4, 2019. FE3H came out on July 26 on the same year as Apex came out. An Apex character would be our second chronologically newest character.
Unless for some reason, they decide to choose a non-launch Apex character such as Loba or Revenant.

Last edited:

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Blackmail =/= being Staunch

From what I now the Shuma Gorath situation was just Capcom being staunch and standing their ground, That isn't what I would call blackmail.
He was either to be DLC or not at all. That is blackmail. He was very popular in Japan. There is no direct precedent for Nintendo doing this but that was when Iwata was in charge. Furukawa is an unkown at Nintendo's big chair.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I have never played the series so I am completely neutral on the whole thing. I wouldnt be mad if we got Apex but I wouldnt call myself excited either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway, this could very well also be a Dante in base type thing where the game info comes true but not the Smash character. Like they threw in the Smash bit just to get attention

was that way also with Ryza (Atelier Ryza 2), may be that way with the LoL and Falcom rumors too

cashregister9

Smash Hero
He was either to be DLC or not at all. That is blackmail. He was very popular in Japan. There is no direct precedent for Nintendo doing this but that was when Iwata was in charge. Furukawa is an unkown at Nintendo's big chair.
I am starting to think we have 2 different definitions of Blackmail

Blackmail is when someone has damaging information about someone else and they threaten to release it unless the other person does something.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Dunno what the year has to do with it but Apex Legends came out in 2019 on PC, xbox an pa4 and came out March of this year on switch
because with the way the decade tournaments in smash have been dropped, a rep from the years 2010-2019 are just highly unlikely

we got the 1980’s tournament and the very next character was byleth who was from 2017

we then got the 1990 and 2000 tournaments dropped back to back implying the next character was not from those decades and this was correct as the next character was min min who was from 2020

The 2010 decade tournament was dropped right after kazuya which suggests the next character is not from the years 2010-2019

they waited all the way till pyra and myphra to drop the 2010 tournament because min min and Steve were 2010 reps so if pyra and myphra were the last 2010+ rep then it makes sense to drop the tournament which they did.

a 2010+ rep seems unlikely. Not impossible. Trends can be broken, just unlikely. That’s why I was asking what year apex legends was first made

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He was either to be DLC or not at all. That is blackmail.
It's not blackmail. Blackmail is when you get something the victim doesn't want to have public and use that to get them to do what you want. What you're thinking of is an ultimatum.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
That reminds me..

I was initially suspicious of it, and still sort of am.
But why didn't Sakurai ever tells us WHEN the FP2 content was finalized? While he easily could just not say it, he could also just have casually said it during the conclusion of the Byleth presentation.
Maybe if he did, perhaps it could give us an idea that super recent characters wouldn't happen?

Who knows.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
I am starting to think we have 2 different definitions of Blackmail

Blackmail is when someone has damaging information about someone else and they threaten to release it unless the other person does something.
Yeah, you know what I mean though. Bribing, incentivising or whatever you want to call it but it has happened before. Nintendo have just never done it.

If Sakurai's Heaven comment was a hint it could be Apex. We will see.

IF the rumor is to be believed it is exactly the same method Marvel did with Capcom but Nintendo did it with EA.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Apex Legends seems unlikely because it is a third-party that hasn't proven its lasting appeal yet. Sometimes we get first-party characters that haven't proven their enduring popularity, but usually it seems like the standard for third parties is that they need to be widely recognizable or otherwise "classic" characters that go towards Sakurai's goal of having this game be a "celebration of gaming history".

So if it's an EA character, I feel like it would be more likely to be Commander Shepard or Isaac Clarke. And even then, they are far less famous than superficially similar western characters like Chief.

If it is an Apex character, I would want it to be Wattson. But I assume it would be Wraith.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Hero is our chronically newest character if you consider the Luminary default skin alone.
A slightly "younger" 3rd party isn't impossible.

We've been speculating Nahobino yet some of us are like "Apex is too new".
At this point, I don't think these games/characters aren't 100% too new (in terms of Smash ofc). Could be. But not guaranteed.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Hero is our chronically newest character if you consider the Luminary default skin alone.
A slightly "younger" 3rd party isn't impossible.
Hero is still apart of a long running and historical franchise. They just made Luminary the default skin for promotional purposes with DQ11S.

The fact that they went back and changed Hero's placement in All-Star to DQ3's release date tells me that they really wanted Erdrick to be the default skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom